• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a related note...is it even worth attaching materia before lvl 50? I have all this gear at ~lvl 20 now that has materia slots, but I suppose I will keep changing gear fairly often huh?

Zalasta

On a related note...is it even worth attaching materia before lvl 50? I have all this gear at ~lvl 20 now that has materia slots, but I suppose I will keep changing gear fairly often huh?

No, but gears with materia on them spirit bond faster, so you can convert them to materia either to keep or sell.

Speaking of materia, anyone know what is the percentage of getting a grade IV materia from ilevel50+ gears? I was quite annoyed and frustrated when I went 0-3 on converting my best leathercraft gear considering how long it took to spirit bond them (was 0-3 the day before on miner's), the materias I had attached cost more than what I ended up with. Honestly, they should make HQ stuff having a higher chance of turning into a better quality materia. Also, why doesn't Aetheryte Ring convert into craftmanship materia? I got a stupid Mind IV out of it...if I had known, I'd kept it since I had a control +3 on it. What a waste.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anyone getting server errors logging in?

Got hit 5006, then 6001 now

Edit: Never mind, it fixed itself

dramatis

No, but gears with materia on them spirit bond faster, so you can convert them to materia either to keep or sell.

Speaking of materia, anyone know what is the percentage of getting a grade IV materia from ilevel50+ gears? I was quite annoyed and frustrated when I went 0-3 on converting my best leathercraft gear considering how long it took to spirit bond them (was 0-3 the day before on miner's), the materias I had attached cost more than what I ended up with. Honestly, they should make HQ stuff having a higher chance of turning into a better quality materia. Also, why doesn't Aetheryte Ring convert into craftmanship materia? I got a stupid Mind IV out of it...if I had known, I'd kept it since I had a control +3 on it. What a waste.
If you're going to be converting your gear, don't slot good materia in, slot garbage materia in.

AkuMifune

Banned
Bought the PC version last night before I knew what I was doing. Haven't played an MMO since Galaxies. (Where I played for 6 months straight using holocrons to become a jedi until they nerfed the process and I gave up MMO's forever!) This seems great! Think I'll get sucked in for a bit while I have some free time.

I landed on Primal in Brynhildr, (what is Primal? region?) still remembering how this works. Doesn't seem like many there. Should I start over somewhere more populated?

Jarate

Banned
alright, so I bought the steam version when I already own the regular version

can i give the account that I get away to someone?

ShinMaruku

Tempted to try the PS4 beta, but my head's telling me I might as well use the time to play more of the PS3 version instead. At least until the second phase anyway, as I believe the characters are wiped after the first phase.

True but I'm more in it for the haul to see if I like the game before I pay. Because I think (in general) MMOs ain't good. (This one could be the exception)

Aeana

I'm not sure what parser he was using and I don't parse our runs but my static's WHM also has i90 SMN so I often heal turns 2 and 4 so he can play his SMN. He said that combined with garuda he was doing over 400 DPS on miniADS in turn 2 last night, that was with raging strikes but without Foe Requiem I think. Your single target combined damage with garuda should be around 300 minimum with that level of gear...but it does depend on the parser. Worry more about the gap between you+garuda and other DPS rather than about the gap between 0 and whatever raw number a parser gives you.
I've never seen anyone parse close to 400 DPS on anything but a training dummy, on any job, using ACT. A SMN who can hit 250 by ACT's metric (pet included) on most fights is doing fine, I'd say.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Anyone getting server errors logging in?

Got hit 5006, then 6001 now

Edit: Never mind, it fixed itself

Servers are pretty much fucked right now. And even attempting to do a duty seems to result in serious rubberbanding and disconnects.

And thats if you can even log in.

I landed on Primal in Brynhildr, (what is Primal? region?) still remembering how this works. Doesn't seem like many there. Should I start over somewhere more populated?

Primal is the name of one of the data centres. Here's a list of all the data centres and servers to help:

Elemental

Aegis / Atomos / Carbuncle / Garuda / Gungnir / Kujata / Ramuh / Tonberry / Typhon / Unicorn

Gaia

Alexander / Bahamut / Durandal / Fenrir / Ifrit / Ridill / Tiamat / Ultima / Valefor / Yojimbo / Zeromus

Mana

Anima / Asura / Belias / Chocobo / Hades / Ixion / Mandragora / Masamune / Pandaemonium / Titan

Aether

Adamantoise / Balmung / Cactuar / Coeurl / Faerie / Gilgamesh / Goblin / Mateus / Midgardsormr / Sargatanas / Siren / Zalera

Primal

Behemoth / Brynhildr / Diabolos / Excalibur / Exodus / Famfrit / Hyperion / Lamia / Leviathan / Malboro / Ultros

Chaos

Cerberus / Lich / Moogle / Odin / Phoenix / Ragnarok / Shiva

Zalasta

If you're going to be converting your gear, don't slot good materia in, slot garbage materia in.

Well, considering it's my crafting and gathering gears, I can't exactly go with useless materia. I also didn't slot the best so I figured I'd aim for a set with max stats next. Regardless, the conversion rate sucks period.

Isaccard

Primal is the name of one of the data centres. Here's a list of all the data centres and servers to help:

Elemental

Aegis / Atomos / Carbuncle / Garuda / Gungnir / Kujata / Ramuh / Tonberry / Typhon / Unicorn

Gaia

Alexander / Bahamut / Durandal / Fenrir / Ifrit / Ridill / Tiamat / Ultima / Valefor / Yojimbo / Zeromus

Mana

Anima / Asura / Belias / Chocobo / Hades / Ixion / Mandragora / Masamune / Pandaemonium / Titan

Aether

Adamantoise / Balmung / Cactuar / Coeurl / Faerie / Gilgamesh / Goblin / Mateus / Midgardsormr / Sargatanas / Siren / Zalera

Primal

Behemoth / Brynhildr / Diabolos / Excalibur / Exodus / Famfrit / Hyperion / Lamia / Leviathan / Malboro / Ultros

Chaos

Cerberus / Lich / Moogle / Odin / Phoenix / Ragnarok / Shiva

We should probably get this information in the PS4 beta thread so no one gets lost on their way to Sargatanas Ultros

Wilsongt

I've noticed as an ilv 83 summoner that I tend to hit anywhere from 170 - 210 with regular ruins, almost 300+ with crits, and then anywhere from 750 - 1200 with a non-crit vs a crit Fester. Then I am always rotating Spur/Rouse with Ruru.

Are those good numbers for a summoner? I always feel like I do shit damage and my DPS is too low...

Ruin is supposed to do crap damage. You gotta check how much your DoTs are doing because aside from Fester that's where the bulk of your damage is.

MogCakes

I've noticed as an ilv 83 summoner that I tend to hit anywhere from 170 - 210 with regular ruins, almost 300+ with crits, and then anywhere from 750 - 1200 with a non-crit vs a crit Fester. Then I am always rotating Spur/Rouse with Ruru.

Are those good numbers for a summoner? I always feel like I do shit damage and my DPS is too low...

That's normal DPS for a SMN. My numbers are similar. Ruin will always be a weak offensive skill, it's Fester and the DoTs that do the majority of your damage. Your pet and ruin are peripheral offenses. You can't see how much DoTs are doing, but on normal enemies you can see large chunks of their health disappearing periodically. Long story short, SMN DPS is great in extended combat, terrible in burst combat (such as adds).

Wilsongt

Ruin is supposed to do crap damage. You gotta check how much your DoTs are doing because aside from Fester that's where the bulk of your damage is.

DoTs are always up on bosses, and Raging Strike is always used when available before applying any DoTs.

Edit: I feel like I run through my festers too quickly. I feel like I need to use them as soon as they are available or else I won't be contributing as much. Any tips, especially on things like Ruru EX?

WolvenOne

Is there a reason why my Macro's sometimes fail and need to be pressed a second time? That's the only thing preventing me from making a Macro announcing that I've used Voke.

tenchir

Is there a reason why my Macro's sometimes fail and need to be pressed a second time? That's the only thing preventing me from making a Macro announcing that I've used Voke.

It's either global cooldown or another skill animation is preventing that macro skill from being used. For a PLD for example, the animation for Spirit Within or Rage of Halone skill takes 2-3 seconds to complete, so any other skill you press during the animation won't work till the animation is done. Pretty annoying when I need to use Hallowed Ground immediately, but still stuck in Halone animation.... and that the buff from Hallowed Ground won't take affect till the animation for it is completed which is another 1 second or so.

You also have to be careful with using multiple skills in one macro because of animations. The first skill have to be cast before the next one can start. So if a macro with two defensive buff is used for example, you have to wait till all the skill from that macro take effect before you press any other skill, otherwise you will stop the second skill from starting. Let's take a BLM Swiftcast+Flare for example:

If you press Blizzard 3 spell immediately after your Swiftcast+Flare macro, you will most likely only end up casting Swiftcast, then swiftcasting Blizzard 3.

WolvenOne

It's either global cooldown or another skill animation is preventing that macro skill from being used. For a PLD for example, the animation for Spirit Within or Rage of Halone skill takes 2-3 seconds to complete, so any other skill you press during the animation won't work till the animation is done. Pretty annoying when I need to use Hallowed Ground immediately, but still stuck in Halone animation.... and that the buff from Hallowed Ground won't take affect till the animation for it is completed which is another 1 second or so.

Mm, okay that makes sense. I wonder if there's a way I can set those text announcements not to send till the skill actually goes off.

Ken

Mm, okay that makes sense. I wonder if there's a way I can set those text announcements not to send till the skill actually goes off.

/ac provoke <t>
/wait
/p provoke used on <t> <se.1>

i think. i have to recheck in game but basically you can mash the macro until you're sure it goes off and when you stop mashing it'll send out the message

tenchir

/ac provoke <t>
/wait
/p provoke used on <t> <se.1>

i think. i have to recheck in game

I don't think it will work, I have something like that for Provoke and HG. It will attempt to cast the spell even if you can't and will still announce(/p) that it has been cast.

My HG macro is:

/micon "Hallowed Ground"
/ac "Hallowed Ground"
/p HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
/wait 3
/p HALLOWED GROUND EXPIRING IN 3 SECONDS!!

I can spam it during Rage of Halone animation and it still wouldn't cast even with this in chatbox:

HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
HALLOWED GROUND EXPIRING IN 3 SECONDS!!

Kenai

DoTs are always up on bosses, and Raging Strike is always used when available before applying any DoTs.

Edit: I feel like I run through my festers too quickly. I feel like I need to use them as soon as they are available or else I won't be contributing as much. Any tips, especially on things like Ruru EX?

You don't have to burn them right away since you have 3 Festers you can use max and 60 secs before more will come, so just use them before that refresh. It's even ideal to save them for burst you know you'll need (like conflags) or adds (Bane). Just make sure your Aetherflow stacks are not wasted, whatever you do.

Ken

I don't think it will work, I have something like that for Provoke and HG. It will attempt to cast the spell even if you can't and will still announce(/p) that it has been cast.

My HG macro is:

/micon "Hallowed Ground"
/ac "Hallowed Ground"
/p HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
/wait 3
/p HALLOWED GROUND EXPIRING IN 3 SECONDS!!

I can spam it during Rage of Halone animation and it still wouldn't cast even with this in chatbox:

HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
HALLOWED GROUND CAST!
HALLOWED GROUND EXPIRING IN 3 SECONDS!!

That's because you have a /p before the wait. The point of /wait is to prevent spam, which it does even in your example; it's not a confirmation of cast.

tenchir

That's because you have a /p before the wait. The point of /wait is to prevent spam, which it does even in your example; it's not a confirmation of cast.

I wasn't talking about the spam, but the skill not taking affect during the spam. Your macro is better in that it reduces spam, but the macro still doesn't care if the skill has gone off or not before announcing /p after your /wait. Pressing your provoke macro during an animation will still output "/p provoke used on <t> <se.1>" on the chatbox even if the provoke didn't take effect. It works for you because you kept spamming it till you see your animation. There really is no way to check for confirmation before announcing the spell has been cast macro wise, there is no IF/AND/OR/THEN commands.

Ken

There really is no way to check for confirmation before announcing the spell has been cast macro wise, there is no IF/AND/OR/THEN commands.

Well yeah, but it's the next best thing.

the macro still doesn't care if the skill has gone off or not before announcing /p after your /wait.

We're all aware macros in this can only go so far, which is where human interaction (the mashing) comes in. I'm not really sure what we're arguing at this point.

WolvenOne

Well, to be fair, it probably won't be as much of an issue for Voke. I try not to cut vokes close, so I'll usually spend a few seconds before vokes where I do nothing else.

With Defensive CD's, I'm often throwing them out right in the middle of a rotation, which seems to be why they sometimes fail.

tenchir

Well yeah, but it's the next best thing.

We're all aware macros in this can only go so far, which is where human interaction comes in.

To go back to Wolven original question:

No you can't, you can get something close that Ken originally posted, but like he said, you have to be vigilant about it. You have to make sure it is actually cast before doing something else.

Ken

No you can't, you can get something that Ken originally posted, but like he said, you have to be vigilant about it. You have to make sure it is actually cast before doing something else.

I edited my original post seconds after posting. You just quote too fast. D:

So i was thinking about picking this up for PC. I don't have a PC right now, so this would be my only option for a MMO. My question is 1) is this MMO worth playing? I was a hardcore EQ player back in the day, and enjoyed early wow, don't enjoy all the instancing and hub-style, like dungeon finder etc. 2) Is it worth picking up on PS3? Is there any limitations/awkwardness besides chat?

WolvenOne

Just for context here.

I only want to announce Vokes, to prevent enmity battles during transitions on certain bosses. (Titan, Ifrit, etc.) During those instances, I'll usually sit and wait a couple moments until it's the right time to make said transition, so that macro shouldn't fail very often.

For defensive CD macros, especially on bosses like Titan, they must be used during certain parts of the bosses rotation if you're planning to get the benefit of that CD. For example, I usually fire off Convalescence and Awareness (Also sometimes Thrill of Battle,) while main tanking Titan after the Heart Phase, to prevent unexpected damage spikes and to make it easier for the healers to Top my off during Bombs. I save Foresight and Vengeance for either the second time I Main Titan during that phase, or in case I have to hold Titan for three or more Stacks. The timing to get the most out of these CD's however, can be pretty tight, especially if I'm also trying to fire off Inner Beast as well. Thus, why I frequently fire off these macro's in the middle of a rotation, and why they fail and must be hit a second time.

WolvenOne

methinks you're overthinking tanking too much yo

Well, for these fights at least, it comes from running with a lot of pug groups. For the transition into the Final phase of Titan especially, DPS are often fairly chewed up to begin with, are taking damage from stomps, and a lot of healers struggle to keep up.

I've developed habits like this, as a means to compensate to some degree.

Erekiddo

I finally got a friend onto this.. Using a slim PS3 he's borrowing from me until he gets one of his own.

I have a spare 80GB that I'm not using, but I'm hesitant on selling it to him as I know those things run a little hot. Anyone have experience playing FF14 on the original models?

Isaccard

I finally got a friend onto this.. Using a slim PS3 he's borrowing from me until he gets one of his own.

I have a spare 80GB that I'm not using, but I'm hesitant on selling it to him as I know those things run a little hot. Anyone have experience playing FF14 on the original models?

Tell him to get a PS4.

WolvenOne

First time fighting Odin was pretty fucking crazy. Not much I can do as a healer aside from resurrecting people, though.

The Odin battles vary in difficulty, depending on the level of the Odin that spawns.

Level 55 Odin isn't so bad, but the level 59 and 60 Odin can plow through ilvl90 tanks like they were tissue paper.

The Odin battles vary in difficulty, depending on the level of the Odin that spawns.

Level 55 Odin isn't so bad, but the level 59 and 60 Odin can plow through ilvl90 tanks like they were tissue paper.
It was the 60 one, tanks getting deleted left and right and we almost couldn't kill him before Zantetsuken even though we had like 70 people around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom