• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Aus, but I have a US PSN account and I've linked that to a US Square-Enix account. After I have a go of the PS4 beta today I've got a feeling I may want to jump on the PC version ( as it's half price atm, not sure for how long) and just use a controller. Now seeing as I live in Aus if I buy it from the Steam store that will be a PAL version and I won't be able to link that to my US Square-Enix account right? Could I get someone from the US to send it over Steam and then it'll be right? Or am I just fine to buy the Aus copy myself and use a US account anyway?

Darte

Wonder how difficult they plan to make Turns 6-9.

I'm guessing they learned their lesson in implementing something as obscure as twister (the unaltered version). I expect hard core raiders to beat turn 9 within a week, maybe two with strategies to follow within a month.

chrono01

Gotta tan my stubby legs somehow.
You an try standing in Liquid Hell. That would likely give you a nice, all-over tan.

I wouldn't recommend it, though, if a long-lasting life is also one of your desires.

I'm guessing they learned their lesson in implementing something as obscure as twister (the unaltered version). I expect hard core raiders to beat turn 9 within a week, maybe two with strategies to follow within a month.
I'm hoping it takes longer than that to clear, but it wouldn't surprise me. If there are BiS groups [from Turns 1-5] and they get lucky with drops leading up to Turn 9 [to gear themselves up even more], then a week or two is definitely possible. It will probably take a nice bit longer for the rest of the groups, though skill (of course) also plays into the equation. Of course, there's really no way in saying for sure since none of us know what the content will be. It could be a lot more difficult than even Turn 5 was originally.

Regardless, I'm excited for any (and all) new content.

Alucrid

Banned

It depends on the difficulty jump. If it's like the 4-5 one, probably not, considering how important gear is.

zulfate

(i wrote this in the beta thread and i was hoping it was this one)

really kagari? you see me write "krohm love GAF" and you wave and just teleport out? lol

i was hoping for a GAF invite lol.

I bet they will do everything they can to ensure players are stuck on these newest turns of Coil, otherwise you risk more players getting burnt out and quitting the game. So more obscure and difficult things like Twisters will probably be on the table.

Ken

I bet they will do everything they can to ensure players are stuck on these newest turns of Coil, otherwise you risk more players getting burnt out and quitting the game. So more obscure and difficult things like Twisters will probably be on the table.

Initial Twisters were just poorly tuned without remembering FFXIV is an online game.

Initial Twisters were just poorly tuned without remembering FFXIV is an online game.

I feel that overtuning like that is fairly par for the course with the highest level raids in mmos though. Especially when that becomes all the game has to offer.

Kenai

I actually do expect them to have turn 9 tuned up pretty high so people can't beat it right away. I guess we'll see.

This is my line of thinking as well. Lot's of folks who've been running 1-5 the last several months are at or near ilvl90, so I'm sure they are going to raise the bar a bit so that it might seem extra difficult without the extra stats from whatever gear is coming. As hard as I think it is to learn Twin, I still think Titan EX (and certain aspects of Ifrit) are much worse overall.

It might also depend on who the next boss is though. if it's someone/something "more important" than a somewhat random generic monster like Twintania I fully expect some ridiculousness.

If that's the case, I'm sure they can come up with something fair but difficult. Perhaps some puzzles within the battle or tricky add phases.

Or it can just overwhelm players with raw power ala WarMech/Omega until they figure how to survive.

Ken

I feel that overtuning like that is fairly par for the course with the highest level raids in mmos though. Especially when that becomes all the game has to offer.

From what I understand the window for dodging the initial Twisters was waaaay too tiny with latency in mind, so it wasn't really as much overtuning as it was an oversight. At least, that's how I view it when the need to manually "update player position in the server" was the key step in world first T5.

I live in Aus, but I have a US PSN account and I've linked that to a US Square-Enix account. After I have a go of the PS4 beta today I've got a feeling I may want to jump on the PC version ( as it's half price atm, not sure for how long) and just use a controller. Now seeing as I live in Aus if I buy it from the Steam store that will be a PAL version and I won't be able to link that to my US Square-Enix account right? Could I get someone from the US to send it over Steam and then it'll be right? Or am I just fine to buy the Aus copy myself and use a US account anyway?

Anyone? Sorry for the bump, I don't want to miss out on the half price sale.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Had the most fun in Cutters Cry for a long time last week - ended up helping 3 members from a FC on Diabolos who were very talkative (makes a change), and during the last boss this happened:
3xz16Vv.jpg

Right now, I'm levelling up CNJ to get my stoneskin before I start having a real shot at the lvl50 dungeons. And let me tell you, doing the three starter dungeons is either great, or it's hell on earth. One new GLD who I partied with actually asked us for advice after we mentioned that tanking really is the most fun thing to do in a dungeon, and it was great seeing him improving all the way through.

Other times you get the GLD I got last night. Either he didn't speak any English whatsoever, or he was completely ignoring the chat panel on the side when we were all telling him that if he didn't use flash, we would all die. He didn't have any hate management skills whatsoever, didn't pay any attention to the other mobs apart from the one he was attacking, and if we didn't have an ACN with Topaz, we would have vote abandoned. Being top of the enimity list for 5 mobs as a CNJ is not fun.

On a related note, is it acceptable to vote kick someone like that for harrassment? I don't like to think of people as lost causes, but I also didn't feel that it was fair that he got the exp for finishing the dungeon, as well as the bonus for first timers when he just didn't contribute to the success of the dungeon whatsoever (he even triggered the lift before our last member was on board!).

Enjolras

Neo Member
Yeah, I don't see why not especially if the majority of your group agrees.
Good to know for the future - the others asked me to kick (ended up party leader somehow), but there was an unrolled piece of loot taunting us until he pulled the boss. Every time SE tries to fix something, they manage to make it worse.

Ken

Good to know for the future - the others asked me to kick (ended up party leader somehow), but there was an unrolled piece of loot taunting us until he pulled the boss. Every time SE tries to fix something, they manage to make it worse.

Pretty sure anyone is allowed to vote dismiss so not sure why others were putting the responsibility on you.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Pretty sure anyone is allowed to vote dismiss so not sure why others were putting the responsibility on you.
Strange - perhaps they didn't know where to look for the vote kick option? Next time I'm in a DF group, I'll see if the option's available.

Number45

Cool, thanks. I've just been going through whatever's available, but watching HiddenAway go through the hunting log on the beta yesterday along with this advice is helpful. Kind of tempted to level multiple characters anyway, although I hear the game doesn't make alt'ing easy.

King_Moc

Banned
Cool, thanks. I've just been going through whatever's available, but watching HiddenAway go through the hunting log on the beta yesterday along with this advice is helpful. Kind of tempted to level multiple characters anyway, although I hear the game doesn't make alt'ing easy.

Why would you want an alt? You can level all of the jobs with one character and it actually lets you mix and match abilities from different classes.

Stuart444

Strange - perhaps they didn't know where to look for the vote kick option? Next time I'm in a DF group, I'll see if the option's available.

Yeah, options available to anyone in a group. I had to do it to someone in CT because they were offline for most of the first area (up until just before Bone Dragon, didn't even see them spawn in as if they DC'd as soon as we entered CT). I wasn't the leader in this group either.

Anyway, out of curiosity, what ilvl should most people end up being to get through Turn 4?

dcye

Why would you want an alt? You can level all of the jobs with one character and it actually lets you mix and match abilities from different classes.

Endgame content is all on lockout, so if you want coil gear or to put your myth tomes towards more than one class without rationing them, it makes sense to have two or more characters. I personally don't have more than one and have nearly every class to 50 on my single char, but it makes sense to have more than one still.

Keasar

I have decided to try and give this a spin to wind down a little from stress. Haven't registered my account yet but will do tonight.

From what I read in the OP there seems to be several servers(linkshells?) where GAFers hang out, is there any certain one where most EU GAFers are?

King_Moc

Banned
Endgame content is all on lockout, so if you want coil gear or to put your myth tomes towards more than one class without rationing them, it makes sense to have two or more characters. I personally don't have more than one and have nearly every class to 50 on my single char, but it makes sense to have more than one still.

Ah, i see. That sounds...time consuming.

Naar

I like having multiple characters. I'd at least want to see all of the starting areas.

There is no reason to have alt in this game. You can have all the jobs on 1 character and visit anywhere and everywhere any time you want.

Thats one of the things that makes this game standout since you have everything and can do anything with just 1 character

Hell they give you a 50% bonus exp once you start leveling your 2nd job

King_Moc

Banned
I like having multiple characters. I'd at least want to see all of the starting areas.

You still get all the starting areas, i think you even still have access to the lv.1 quests for when your levelling another class up. What you'd miss is the very short video introduction for the city, which you can just youtube.

aceface

You still get all the starting areas, i think you even still have access to the lv.1 quests for when your levelling another class up. What you'd miss is the very short video introduction for the city, which you can just youtube.

Story quests have some differences in each city, can't do those again after the first time.

Finally bit the bullet, $15 was too cheap to pass this up. I plan on starting on Ultros, this is where the fresh starters went correct?

Definitely going Dragoon route, always been a fan of that type of character; to achieve that my Lancer needs to be 30 and Marauder 15, right?

Alucrid

Banned
Finally bit the bullet, $15 was too cheap to pass this up. I plan on starting on Ultros, this is where the fresh starters went correct?

Definitely going Dragoon route, always been a fan of that type of character; to achieve that my Lancer needs to be 30 and Marauder 15, right?

Correct and correct.

You'll want to level up Pugilist too to get some of those cross-skills for your Dragoon.

When I reach those levels for those classes, do I automatically become a Dragoon or is there a quest involved?

The quest for unlocking Dragoon will become available when you get those classes to the respective levels, yes. Then, from there on out (30-50), you level up as a Dragoon.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Congrats to team Maple, Strawberry, Xarielle, Lunicia, Elliott, Mu Pod, Ryder, and Scything for that #5 all GAF FC Twintania kill.

Hey guys, thinking of resubing and doing a server transfer to one with a GAF guild. Which one gets the most activity, if I remember right the Ultros guild was first right? Should I head there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom