• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

Seriously!

I just finished downloading and installing this after buying it because I really enjoyed the PS4 beta and wanted to start early before the PS4 retail release.

I think maybe the PS4 beta is making the servers all wonky. It normally isn't like this. lol

BadRNG

Servers are straight up busted. Had to postpone bumping off Twintania this week as a result.
Yeah, we did the same. Wasn't affecting whole group/server yet but was messing with us too much. Not worth the hassle.

I'm surprised there are so many people joining all of a sudden. I guess the PS4 beta has been going well?

Neverfade

Couple of newbie questions:

I googled spiritbind and read up on that. I know items can eventually be turned into materia. Is materia the rough equivalent of WOW's gem socketing?

Also, are there any requirements to getting into the GAF company on Ultros? Or should I just submit an application?

FatalT

Banned
I think maybe the PS4 beta is making the servers all wonky. It normally isn't like this. lol

I hope sooooo!

1972270_287445048079023_875344189_n.jpg

I think I'm determined to see every error message this game has tonight.

Tash

So I tried WTFast.

Took my ping down to 91 from between 115 and 150ms.

I then tried Titan HM (only up til Heart Phase since the other folks except maybe the MT were either new or gearing up an alt and were undergeared for the fight) and to my surprise, it made an obvious difference. I stayed in plumes slightly longer than I do without WTFast just to test it out (rather than moving the instant I see it like I usually do) and I was able to get out in time still. Only got hit once by plumes when I experienced some tunnel vision. and didn't notice I was in the middle of a plume til about a sec before it went off.

All in all, I was impressed at the difference such a small amount of ms made. There is nothing like this for PS3/4 is there? If not, We may have to hope the Laptop can handle FFXIV (on lowest settings) so me and Alice can do some of the more dodging intensive stuff like Titan HM/EX.

I also don't like the prospect of paying for something like this when I have never needed it for other games where dodging is needed (like GW2) but I like FFXIV too much and want to be able to try most things in the game without letting the rest of the group down due to the way SE does its positional stuff. :/

That's why so many (especially Europeans) are really pissed at Sqenix. It's OBVIOUSLY on their end and we have to pay in order to do special encounters. I could NOT do Titan without WTFast or Battleping.

And on top, you have the elite wannabes who claim lag issues are an excuse if you can't play..

Ken

That's why so many (especially Europeans) are really pissed at Sqenix. It's OBVIOUSLY on their end and we have to pay in order to do special encounters. I could NOT do Titan without WTFast or Battleping.

And on top, you have the elite wannabes who claim lag issues are an excuse if you can't play..

I'd love to have 150 ms ping to the servers, but I play just fine which is why I have doubts about how big of a factor those services are for the players in here.

Dizzy-4U

Which one would you recommend? I live in South America so reducing lag is always welcome (currenly using the Leatrix latency fix).

dcye

You had a similar minor adjustment as well?

More than minor. When I initially was doing Titan HM all those months ago I could be half a plume outside of a plume and still be hit, but after I tried Battleping I could dodge them comfortably. its still tough in EX but I can manage it.

Yeah bit paying extra just to get a faster ping really makes this game stand out on the problems it faces

Your already paying a sub, so you have to pay more just to feel your it is worth paying for is messed up

SE needs to resolve these issues, not ask people to spend more just to overcome their networking issues

I don't disagree at all but it doesn't change the reality of it. I don't mind the extra little bit a month because of how much enjoyment I get from the game and my disposable income.

How do you check your ping?

I don't. I was dead before, not anymore. Even now when I forget to start BP before I open the game I get hit by repelling cannons and everything else when with it I can comfortably dodge. Its not a placebo. That said, I am Australian, so my long would be appreciably bad.

Stuart444

I got carried through my first relic with Titan being the only section I was dead most of the fight (Ruru and Iffy, not an issue outside of some hiccups on Ruru and very rare hiccups after nail for Iffy). Now I am confident that I only need to worry about/learn the Bombs post-heart to comfortably beat Titan without dying. One time, I didn't even notice the plumes were up but was able to dodge the one aimed at me quickly once I realized compared to before where I would have been hit if I didn't notice it straight away.

And yeah, I've seen a few of those 'elitists', they exist because they don't have these issues. Having had these issues myself for too long, I will always defend someone if they say they have these lag issues because I have seen them myself.

Number45

Registered on the guild site (Xha Amariyo). Currently levelling as gladiator, although I fully intend to max all classes/jobs. :)

Installed to PC last night and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get the DS3 working now (last time I tried it was painful), so I'm playing this with the same settings on PC as PS3. Same resolution as well, although it's annoying that the HUD is a better resolution on the PC to the PS3 (not to mention the irritating pixels lost on the PS3 version).

Also, as I level on one version for some reason it didn't auto-populate the cross hotbar on the other. Is that expected?

chrono01

Us too... damn. A bunch of people on Twitter mentioned they were getting 90Ks in other parts of Coil too.
This launch all over again! Well, at least we could login alright, so there's that.

Here's hoping that SE fixes these issues quickly. I need my our Twintania kill!

WolvenOne

Oddly I had no issues tonight after 10PM my time. Did two roulette, lowbie and high level, and didn't see any lag whatsoever.

Dunno if Square got their crud together or whatever, cause earlier in the night I was seeing rubberbanding in the middle of fates.

Number45

Is 90K'ing FF slang for lag? I'm lost here.

I wish I knew the solutions to some of the login problems people in the PS4 beta thread are seeing. I'd like the game to be welcoming to these people interested in it!
Hopefully those people will understand it's a beta. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the PS3 version, I really can't wait for it on PS4.

EDIT: UK PS3/PS4 folk, the official PS3 keyboard (works on PS4) is less than £15 here.

90k is an error that always disconnects you from the game.

EDIT: Once again having issues with PF idiots and their stupid parser talk. One wipe to EX Titan and already someone whining about dps. Seems like everyone is armed with one and will let you know it after a wipe or two. I feel like just leaving the party once that talk starts up.

And in adventures with Garuda, I feel like hiding my red head in the ground after being the main cause of multiple wipes in a GAF group. First it was getting the spiny killed because my pet kept attacking it even though I kept trying to direct its attention to whatever sister I was attacking. Then got the group destroyed because I wasn't watching stacks (I've never had that spiny go after me as SMN) because the spiny kept making a beeline for me when it appeared and refusing to go anywhere else, causing most of the group to eat a Super Cyclone to the face...=/

I suppose I should watch a video of those fights again or something. Might consider just going back to healing full time.

Sophia

EDIT: Once again having issues with PF idiots and their stupid parser talk. One wipe to EX Titan and already someone whining about dps. Seems like everyone is armed with one and will let you know it after a wipe or two. I feel like just leaving the party once that talk starts up.

Report them. You'll get the last laugh and they'll get a vacation. Anyone openly talking about it is asking for it anyhow.

Diablos

At least you guys can play! I still somehow have myself locked out of Mogstation accepting ANYTHING. Awaiting a response from S-E... so I can finally talk to them... in which case I'll probably get a phone number... and will have maybe 30 minutes to get in touch with them after work on Thursday or Friday.

Honestly I don't think I'm even going to try and renew for a while. Maybe next week. The servers are doomed.

Gee, we scheduled T1-4 and T5 practice for tomorrow, and my PC is busted.

Having to play on PS3 plus this lag people keep mentioning will be.... interesting.

aceface

oh gawd your a hyur? WHY D:
needs to be more unique!!

Hyur= best players. We don't need to be special little butterflies we let our skill do the talking. :D

Also highlander boobs

Edit: Glad to hear about the hotfixes. I've been getting crippling lag on nearly all instances since the last patch.

Kem0sabe

Low level conjurer healing is so easy that its mind boggling, at level 25 i have been running all the available dungeons so far, even with shit tanks they are a walk in the park compared to other mmo healing rotations, with 2 skills only... single target heal and group heal, thats it.

I'm amazed when people start complementing me for a great job healing... when the only thing i want to respond is that even a monkey can do this.

Does it get more active later on, or will it maintain this level of difficulty?

frequency

Low level conjurer healing is so easy that its mind boggling, at level 25 i have been running all the available dungeons so far, even with shit tanks they are a walk in the park compared to other mmo healing rotations, with 2 skills only... single target heal and group heal, thats it.

I'm amazed when people start complementing me for a great job healing... when the only thing i want to respond is that even a monkey can do this.

It gets a bit more active and you'll have more abilities to play with. It's still pretty easy compared to other games though.

Also people complement you because lots of healers DPS since it's so easy. But in doing so, they sometimes forget to actually heal...

Kem0sabe

It gets a bit more active and you'll have more abilities to play with. It's still pretty easy compared to other games though.

Also people complement you because lots of healers DPS since it's so easy. But in doing so, they sometimes forget to actually heal...

Is this a case of Se dumbing down content difficulty to allow for console players being able to play and group with pc players? I would imagine healing with a controller to be a bit more involved than my current setup.

Alucrid

Banned
Is this a case of Se dumbing down content difficulty to allow for console players being able to play and group with pc players? I would imagine healing with a controller to be a bit more involved than my current setup.

Not really. Our two healers both use controllers and we've been through all the content the game has to offer so far. Most of the dungeons in the game are pretty easy.

Number45

Not really. Our two healers both use controllers and we've been through all the content the game has to offer so far. Most of the dungeons in the game are pretty easy.
Do you do anything special for targeting? I changed my left/right target filter to enemies only (with weapon drawn) yesterday, and left up/down to party members.

Haven't done enough to understand if that'll be limiting in later content.

Rektash

At level 25 you haven't even hit the first mildly challenging content. Healing as a conjurer mostly revolves around saving mana, managing cooldowns in healing intensive fights and straight up knowing said fights,
because reactionary healing can be hard when the mob two or even oneshots your tank. There is no such thing as healing rotation in this game, really. Endgame encounter in this game are usually very movement intensive,
your job as a WHM is to find the time to toss out heals while dodging stuff, burstheal your tank up after big damage and keeping your party topped off.

Some endgame encounters in this game will rip you apart. (Until you beat them for the first time :D)

Alucrid

Banned
Do you do anything special for targeting? I changed my left/right target filter to enemies only (with weapon drawn) yesterday, and left up/down to party members.

Well, uh, I don't use a controller. So I have no idea.

AkuMifune

Banned
So addicted to this right now. So good.

Is there something wrong with me I get a new haircut every other day? Its tough being a midlander in a world of beautiful people! Though I just got a fantasia potion. Maybe I should save it until i know for sure...temptation...

Is there any way to disable the spam from chat?

Depends on which you're more comfortable with really. Other than that, not really. For me, scrolling up and down on the D-pad feels no different than clicking the member's name on that list. The only thing even remotely tricky about a controller is getting used to where you have things set on your hotbars and becoming comfortable with it. You won't have the luxury of having 3-4 hotbars up on your screen, so you'll have to be economical with the space you dedicate for your skills in terms of ease of access.

As for whatever DPS you want to try to spit out, the two-button filter for scrolling through enemies has never caused me any trouble.

So addicted to this right now. So good.

Is there something wrong with me I get a new haircut every other day? Its tough being a midlander in a world of beautiful people! Though I just got a fantasia potion. Maybe I should save it until i know for sure...temptation...

Is there any way to disable the spam from chat?

You can set up what shows in your chat log in the settings, just tick/untick the boxes you want to see for each section (General, Battle and Events if you still have it set up with the default tabs).

AkuMifune

Banned
You can set up what shows in your chat log in the settings, just tick/untick the boxes you want to see for each section (General, Battle and Events if you still have it set up with the default tabs).

Yeah, default. Though I spent 30 hours in it so far, still very much learning how to play.

I like the general world chat, just keep getting the spam to buy gil.

frequency

I don't think so. I think it's more encounter design. Some fights can be difficult but it's still overall easier I feel as a healer than some other games. It gets better though. Before end game you don't really have to pay attention... It gets even easier once you get Regen I feel.

But eh... Modern MMORPGs all tend to be like this. The "real game begins at max level".

Yeah, default. Though I spent 30 hours in it so far, still very much learning how to play.

I like the general world chat, just keep getting the spam to buy gil.

Yeah :/, gil sellers tend to spam /whisper (but do spam other chats too). I usually blacklist them whenever it happens since some of my FC/LS friends whisper me to talk.

Sophia

I don't think so. I think it's more encounter design. Some fights can be difficult but it's still overall easier I feel as a healer than some other games. It gets better though. Before end game you don't really have to pay attention... It gets even easier once you get Regen I feel.

But eh... Modern MMORPGs all tend to be like this. The "real game begins at max level".

I feel like, if you don't skip the optional dungeons, FFXIV really begins when you have your job. You start learning all the skills needed for end game, and you get the ability sets too. Healing has a nice jump in difficulty at Brayflox for sure.

aceface

Healing in early dungeons is all about DPS'ing so you can blow through them as quick as possible. Drives me nuts when I see a healer just standing there.

Kem0sabe

At level 25 you haven't even hit the first mildly challenging content. Healing as a conjurer mostly revolves around saving mana, managing cooldowns in healing intensive fights and straight up knowing said fights,
because reactionary healing can be hard when the mob two or even oneshots your tank. There is no such thing as healing rotation in this game, really. Endgame encounter in this game are usually very movement intensive,
your job as a WHM is to find the time to toss out heals while dodging stuff, burstheal your tank up after big damage and keeping your party topped off.

Some endgame encounters in this game will rip you apart.

Good to know, i want the challenge. :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is there anything else I needed to do to get in GAF on Ultros, besides registering at the website and sending in a submission in game?

Aeana

Yes, it's because the content is easy, not that your healers are skilled. "So easy that even controller users can do it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom