• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tash

Now that I'm Lv 50 (DRG) what should my upgrade path look like?

Obviously I need to finish up the story first but should I then start running WP for iLv 55 gear to upgrade my AF, or should I go straight into CM / Prae to farm Tomes of Philosophy for Darklight gear?

Enter you char name here and it tells you what to do :)

http://xivarmory.com/

I am sure you probably already knew about the upgrade but it's kinda nifty anyway..

wormania

block rate, i use the scorpion shield over the holy shield because of this, but often my teammates won't leave me alone about it when it comes to primals. "hold on guys, if altered juice doesn't want to try why should we? block rate doesn't matter shield strength matters way more!"

I don't even... how do you... what.

Ferr986

I mean Tera's combat is better than most free to play MMOs, but for me, it still has that MMO feel at the end. It's not terrible, but you have a game like Phantasy Star Online that gives you actual controlled action. Difference being one is open world and the other isn't, but PSO2 has some nice sized levels. The combat is Tera's shining point, but for someone who's played a lot of MMOs over the years, it wasn't enough to keep me playing it past the first month and even when I tried it months later, it wasn't drawing enough for me.

As far as the last bit, I find Japanese MMOs actually feel like I'm playing a 'game' and not a 'mmo'. MMO's usually have watered down combat systems compared to console/handheld games, like there are a few to the exception, but FFXI, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online 2 and FFXIV to me feel like what I described before. I feel like I'm getting a single player game but it's also a MMO in terms of mechanics. Even Phantasy Star Universe, although, I didn't care for that one too much.

My issue with most western MMOs is usually I don't enjoy the combat in them. I did enjoy City of Villains, but that's been about the only western MMO I've enjoyed.

I kind of agree, after coming from PSO2, Tera's combat didnt feel as good as people clamored. Its true that you have more skill at your disposition, but if we talk about action gameplay, PSO2 is more responsible and allows more mobility.
Its true that PSO2 isnt a MMO though, so maybe is not comparable...

. Still, FF14 is going to face the same problem, in regards to providing enough to do to warrant a continued subscription, and the only way it will provide a better experience is though longevity.

This is what I fear. Its too early to tell, but I dont see this game being able to supply enough content, especially with a 3 month update.
Theres also Everquest Next and stuff that promises a step forward in the MMO genre, while FFXIV is maybe too conservative.

I mean Tera's combat is better than most free to play MMOs, but for me, it still has that MMO feel at the end. It's not terrible, but you have a game like Phantasy Star Online that gives you actual controlled action. Difference being one is open world and the other isn't, but PSO2 has some nice sized levels. The combat is Tera's shining point, but for someone who's played a lot of MMOs over the years, it wasn't enough to keep me playing it past the first month and even when I tried it months later, it wasn't drawing enough for me.

As far as the last bit, I find Japanese MMOs actually feel like I'm playing a 'game' and not a 'mmo'. MMO's usually have watered down combat systems compared to console/handheld games, like there are a few to the exception, but FFXI, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online 2 and FFXIV to me feel like what I described before. I feel like I'm getting a single player game but it's also a MMO in terms of mechanics. Even Phantasy Star Universe, although, I didn't care for that one too much.

My issue with most western MMOs is usually I don't enjoy the combat in them. I did enjoy City of Villains, but that's been about the only western MMO I've enjoyed.

I can't really speak to PSO2, as it is the only of the games you mentioned that I haven't played, and I don't think it is fair of me to judge it just based on videos. What I can say is that the two games that I did talk about about, Dragon's Nest and Tera, both have a varied level of combat that on their own would put standard single player action games to shame. With Nest, the level of combo and skill usages possible along with the precision to do some of the higher level combos effectively for certain classes can come close to some of the higher level action games. It is a more action oriented map based game though so should be expected. Then with Tera things are more deliberate and all skills have more of a risk/reward compromise worked into their usage that does indeed work it's way to fit more into an mmo style game. Control is still direct and responsive and all "compromises" made compared to a single player game are there to make it so you work as a part of a team, instead of a one person army that could do everything solo/fill a unique roll in group play. I do seem to be talking these games up a lot considering I wouldn't recommend them anymore, and wouldn't go back to playing them myself. It's just that the main things that I saw in them as exemplary are what you mentioned as being mediocre. Fully responsive and directly controlled avatar manipulation in relation to combat and movement, while still fitting into the MMORPG format, in Tera's case. All while providing a uniqueness across classes so that every classes job isn't just "hit the hardest and kill everything".

I do see where our opinions and taste may differ, in regards to what we look for in mmorps, as I am more of a gameworld and immersion guy. It does make me wonder what you see in FFXIV though since it does have a standard target based mmo combat system that would seem archaic and lack depth compared to every game you mentioned other then GW2 combat wise. There is even a mmorpg that came out 10 years ago with an equivalent combat system style that is in every way the better. Upon rereading your post I also noticed you put FF11 in your elevated category in relation to combat so I do think I must have missed/misunderstood your point.

IDK, tired and moving on.

Zomba13

Cid does, in fact, remember the "Warriors of Light". Whereas Minfillia remembers because of the Echo, Cid remembers because of his third eye. He explicitly mentions this to Legacy players.

Is the bit he mentions the part with ghost you seeing him on an airship and giving him goggles? I'm a legacy member and I didn't get the special intro or any sort of legacy mentions even though I got the choco and tattoo.

Block strength affects how much damage is mitigated on block.

But it's balanced such that you always want to take the shield with the biggest total number between BR and BS, unless it's equal, in which case go for BR.

Because damage mitigation is the most important stat for paladins - vitality right after.

Additional block rate is nice to have because you get shield proc more often... but if you're mitigating less total damage because you've got a shield with crap damage reduction, even if you block more often, then you're doing it wrong.

well, you convinced me...alright a question here: so which is more important to upgrade out of shield or sword? this week im getting the af2 chest piece but next week i have the opportunity to get the shield 1+ or should i just wait for the sword upgrade?

Really love this game except I never seem to see anyone else and end up doing fates with like 1 or 2 other people. Kinda sorry I rolled on Siren, not sure if any of the other severs have a better player base.

hey, i am on siren too, yesterday i was trying to gain gc seals and i notice a large amount of dead fate zones, i can understand low level fates but damn even the 45-49 fates were dead! gonna switch over to ultros this week.(heard it was one of the highest populated servers)

Ala Alba

Is the bit he mentions the part with ghost you seeing him on an airship and giving him goggles? I'm a legacy member and I didn't get the special intro or any sort of legacy mentions even though I got the choco and tattoo.

I can't remember exactly when, but I think it's around that part. After regaining his memory he mentions remembering your character, makes mention to the fight against Darnus, things like that. I think his dialog probably changes more (and more consistently) than Minfillia's does.

Cmagus

hey, i am on siren too, yesterday i was trying to gain gc seals and i notice a large amount of dead fate zones, i can understand low level fates but damn even the 45-49 fates were dead! gonna switch over to ultros this week.(heard it was one of the highest populated servers)

Yeah when transfers open up tomorrow alot of the servers are gonna take a big hit. Its the same on Hyperion right now I mean look how alive uldah is!

ibgg1dnG0qbLFN.png

My subscription should be up soon as I had my 14 days for legacy plus 30 for the new copy but I seem to be finding it harder and harder to log on as nothing is ever happening I am so bored right now lol.

Aeana

lol have you guys saw gaf's ilv ranking?

http://xivarmory.com/fc/9234208823458136068

Odoru #1
Doesn't seem quite right since it claims I have 0 Bahamut's Coil achievements, when I should have exactly as many as Tramain (he's in my group!).

EDIT: Oh.

The data on this site is largely dependent on players publicly showing their achievement progress or having a job equipped when we crawl them. Generally we try to get as many people as we can every day without causing problems for Square Enix.

I might not have that.

Zomba13

I can't remember exactly when, but I think it's around that part. After regaining his memory he mentions remembering your character, makes mention to the fight against Darnus, things like that. I think his dialog probably changes more (and more consistently) than Minfillia's does.

Ah ok. I never finished the 1.0 story so I guess that is why I didn't get the special legacy story stuff. Makes sense I guess but still a bit disappointing.

Zaptruder

Banned
well, you convinced me...alright a question here: so which is more important to upgrade out of shield or sword? this week im getting the af2 chest piece but next week i have the opportunity to get the shield 1+ or should i just wait for the sword upgrade?

Sword upgrade is last priority.

Shield is probably the next best stat upgrade after chest. But it's a bit of a wash between that and valor crown (assuming you have AK head in that slot after going to AF2 Chest).

studyguy

Yeah when transfers open up tomorrow alot of the servers are gonna take a big hit. Its the same on Hyperion right now I mean look how alive uldah is!

My subscription should be up soon as I had my 14 days for legacy plus 30 for the new copy but I seem to be finding it harder and harder to log on as nothing is ever happening I am so bored right now lol.

Jesus Christ,
I've never seen Excal's Ul'dah be anything but packed to the brim

Sword upgrade is last priority.

Shield is probably the next best stat upgrade after chest. But it's a bit of a wash between that and valor crown (assuming you have AK head in that slot after going to AF2 Chest).

Why is sword last to upgrade? I'd figure the extra damage and stats were good for holding hate against relic +1 DDs.

Tash

Doesn't seem quite right since it claims I have 0 Bahamut's Coil achievements, when I should have exactly as many as Tramain (he's in my group!).

EDIT: Oh.

I might not have that.

You can also manually force an update on that site.

Ultrabum

So I think I'm going to transfer to Ultros when they open up transfers because the people in my coil group want to go to a legacy server (gross).

Can I join the FC there?, and are there any other people currently on ultros or transferring that want to start a coil group? / any coil group that needs a monk who can silence ADS in both turns :p

I was wondering, anyone in the GAF Ultros FC actually transferring out?

Tomorrow I think? and free until the 21.

I think Heat Kurosawa (and Hyro Kurosawa?) are transferring to another server to play with some real life friends. :(

I'm not aware of anyone else. On the flip side of that, we have received applications from people planning to transfer to Ultros from other servers.

For anyone that wants to play with real life friends, there is always the option of inviting your friends to Ultros to join GAF. We hate to lose people and there is plenty of room in the FC to invite them in.

Zaptruder

Banned
Why is sword last to upgrade? I'd figure the extra damage and stats were good for holding hate against relic +1 DDs.

Because relic by itself is adequate if you know what you're doing and the DDs aren't been dicks (i.e. not targeting marked mobs).

And because for raid content, your survivability is paramount.

lucius

I tried searching on their website but could not find info, how long does Square Enix keep your character in their system when you don't subscribe?

For Final Fantasy 11 I remember being away for a while and they still had my character when I went back.

Alucrid

Banned
So I think I'm going to transfer to Ultros when they open up transfers because the people in my coil group want to go to a legacy server (gross).

Can I join the FC there?, and are there any other people currently on ultros or transferring that want to start a coil group? / any coil group that needs a monk who can silence ADS in both turns :p

we have spots open currently, dunno the status of different coil groups

I think Heat Kurosawa (and Hyro Kurosawa?) are transferring to another server to play with some real life friends. :(

I'm not aware of anyone else. On the flip side of that, we have received applications from people planning to transfer to Ultros from other servers.

For anyone that wants to play with real life friends, there is always the option of inviting your friends to Ultros to join GAF. We hate to lose people and there is plenty of room in the FC to invite them in.

well shit.

Khatoz

There's only one situation I can think in this game where getting sword +1 can make or break the fight and is on turn 4 when the third dreadnaught spawns and that's only cause you have about 3 seconds to gain enough aggro to overcome the enimity from the healers.

pitbull

Banned
Enter you char name here and it tells you what to do :)

http://xivarmory.com/

I am sure you probably already knew about the upgrade but it's kinda nifty anyway..

not exactly sure how tramain is the only one with 3 bc clears and i have 2 but none of the rest of the team has any

maybe we all have to pokemans to get credit?

edit: who the hell let in master shake!??!

not exactly sure how tramain is the only one with 3 bc clears and i have 2 but none of the rest of the team has any

maybe we all have to pokemans to get credit?

edit: who the hell let in master shake!??!

The site is still a work in progress I guess. It has characters such as Yennaiv and Veronique at 0/5, yet they carry me through every week. Not sure what the trigger is for the site to be honest.

The Wolves' Den ENG Preview is out

Looks like the beta PvP.
Raise your salties and prepare for a lot of inflated egos.

PLD team beats the WAR team, superior tank confirmed!

Mairu

If any server is going to get locked to transfers shortly after they go up it'll probably be Ultros, so good luck to anyone who is trying to transfer there tomorrow.

I'm just excited for my friends who have been waiting since the launch of early access to be able to play with me on Leviathan. Well, the friends who didn't end up quitting.

I've been playing this game at a leisurely pace, not bothering with FCs or the like. It's been rather chill for most of the time, and things have been progressing rather well. But now that I've hit level 40 I'm seeing people spamming three-letter acronyms and terminology that have no meaning to me. It's like everyone speaks some form of english that only they understand.

Am I at a point in the game where I should be looking up minmaxing guides?

studyguy

I've been playing this game at a leisurely pace, not bothering with FCs or the like. It's been rather chill for most of the time, and things have been progressing rather well. But now that I've hit level 40 I'm seeing people spamming three-letter acronyms and terminology that have no meaning to me. It's like everyone speaks some form of english that only they understand.

Am I at a point in the game where I should be looking up minmaxing guides?

1-49, it doesn't matter.
Just keep your gear relatively even.

At 50, it's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom