• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like pug Coil groups get worse and worse. Enrage makes for sloppy and uncoordinated players. Who knew passing rot was so incredibly hard?

Ken

It seems like pug Coil groups get worse and worse. Enrage makes for sloppy and uncoordinated players. Who knew passing rot was so incredibly hard?

To be fair, if all or most pug groups are doing enrage method, it's dfficult for new Coil players to practice doing it the normal way.

To be fair, if all or most pug groups are doing enrage method, it's dfficult for new Coil players to practice doing it the normal way.

When we had to get a replacement dps on Tuesday, he told us he'd never done rot before, even though he was pretty geared. We made sure he knew what to do and it went fine. It's not a hard fight overall, it just has a lot less error tolerance than "attack enemy and AOE heal" so I'm not surprised people would still be doing enrage. I'd be curious to find out whether the enrage strategy is popular on the JP servers.

When we had to get a replacement dps on Tuesday, he told us he'd never done rot before, even though he was pretty geared. We made sure he knew what to do and it went fine. It's not a hard fight overall, it just has a lot less error tolerance than "attack enemy and AOE heal" so I'm not surprised people would still be doing enrage. I'd be curious to find out whether the enrage strategy is popular on the JP servers.

I think it's just for lazy people who want a sure one shot win. But of course it's faster to do it the normal way if people don't fuck up. I'm not sure why rot is such a hard mechanic for people, but then again I've never run turn 2 as a DPS.

I think it's just for lazy people who want a sure one shot win. But of course it's faster to do it the normal way if people don't fuck up. I'm not sure why rot is such a hard mechanic for people, but then again I've never run turn 2 as a DPS.

It's a lot like getting targeted by conflag in turn 5 really, but you have 15 seconds to realize it before you kill everyone. The only other way to mess it up is by not grabbing it off the melee/tanks. It also gets complicated if you have a lot of melee/tanks (more than 4).

WolvenOne

Just got tank chest this week...the drop is just so random lol

I've got all the Tank armor drops but the following.

Necklace, pants, helm, belt, and of course the weapons. So it definitely isn't impossible to get good Tank drops. Whats odd of course is that they seem to go in bursts. I'll go weeks without seeing any real drops, and then all of a sudden there'll be two weeks where tons of Tank stuff drops all at once.

Same with Bard, melee, healer, caster etc. So if you go in looking specifically for one kind of item, you'll be disappointed for ages until suddenly, BAM, you win the allagan lottery.

Edit

Just to touch on a couple things.

First, I don't really have a problem with groups using the Enrage method. However, if a group gets absolutely stuck at Turn 4, it's probably a good idea to go back and learn how to do Turn 2 properly. While I've only tanked that fight, and thus have not really participated in the rot mechanics, Turn 2 does appear to teach coordination skills which will be helpful to have in Turn 4.

If you can pass Turn 4, you probably don't need to bother. The coordination needed to get through Turn 4 essentially trumps the coordination needed for Turn 2.

Finally, I kinda need to get more serious about Coil. Twintania's the only fight in this game that I haven't completed yet. <_<;;

Authority

Banned
Morning fellow FFers.

I have got one quick question.

Lord_of_Crags.png

I was geating quite a beat up from this Titan as a Monk. I did everything perfectly but still my HP was dropping hard towards the end. Is that normal? My gear was 30+ but I would assume if I was 35 with a 35 gear set it would have been less of a hustle?

WolvenOne

Morning fellow FFers.

I have got one quick question.

Lord_of_Crags.png

I was geating quite a beat up from this Titan as a Monk. I did everything perfectly but still my HP was dropping hard towards the end. Is that normal? My gear was 30+ but I would assume if I was 35 with a 35 gear set it would have been less of a hustle?

Been awhile since I've done story mode, but if story is anywhere remotely like Hard Mode, Titan's attacks increase in frequency closer to the end. That said, so long as the Tank is holding enmity, you shouldn't be seeing any attacks that you shouldn't be able to dodge.

Having better armor might give you a little more leeway in dodging, but if your a DPS it shouldn't strictly be necessary.

I would just like to see more pug groups to try the rot strategy, instead of people going for the mindless win that doesn't teach you anything. I run into way too many healers who are used to the easy enrage strategy, who are unable to handle working as a team in Turn 4...and trying to carry the party as the healer just doesn't cut it. Rot is so easy to learn, it took me one try to understand it and I totally suck as a player.

Of course there is the issue of the dps being real lacking but I digress.

Ugh, have to remind myself only a small percentage of the players are Coil skilled.

On Tiamat, almost everyone is doing the enrage strategy. I have seen people leave the group if we were not getting a 3rd healer...

I would just like to see more pug groups to try the rot strategy, instead of people going for the mindless win that doesn't teach you anything. I run into way too many healers who are used to the easy enrage strategy, who are unable to handle working as a team in Turn 4...and trying to carry the party as the healer just doesn't cut it. Rot is so easy to learn, it took me one try to understand it and I totally suck as a player.

Of course there is the issue of the dps being real lacking but I digress.

I would wager a guess that it is the only strat used in pugs since that is really what the strat is for. There is much less to explain or know to get it done. I mean even if you have a full group in a pug that can and knows how to do it the normal way, you still have to work out a rot order and placement while using the enrage method is the same no mater what group you are in.

Zalasta

I'm so sick of running Tam-Tara for low level DR...there must be an influx of level 20's because that has shown up 99% for the last 2 weeks. I look forward to all the new PS4 players but also dread seeing the 17-24 dungeons for the month right after release >.>

I'm so sick of running Tam-Tara for low level DR...there must be an influx of level 20's because that has shown up 99% for the last 2 weeks. I look forward to all the new PS4 players but also dread seeing the 17-24 dungeons for the month right after release >.>
At least be glad it's not Copperbell and Toto Rak.

When those dungeons show up on the daily duty I feel like hanging myself.

aceface

As a PS3 player, I thought I'd chime in that I attempted the Thornmarch instance again after the latest round of maintenance, and it was playable and I completed it! It was no worse than what I've experienced in Crystal Tower. So, fellow PS3 peeps, give it another go! Hopefully, your results will be like mine.

Thanks for the heads up,I'll give it another try tonight.

Why Toto Rak get such a bad rep in the ARR comunity?

It's a pretty easy dungeon.
Difficulty isn't the issue, it just takes too long to finish for a low level dungeon and it's fucking boring. Heavy is probably the most annoying debuff in this game and you got this entire section in the dungeon where you're perma-slowed.

Plus unlike other dungeons that have some cool visuals and designs, it's just a corridor inside a cave.

Authority

Banned
Been awhile since I've done story mode, but if story is anywhere remotely like Hard Mode, Titan's attacks increase in frequency closer to the end. That said, so long as the Tank is holding enmity, you shouldn't be seeing any attacks that you shouldn't be able to dodge.

Having better armor might give you a little more leeway in dodging, but if your a DPS it shouldn't strictly be necessary.

Right I see.

Any lower Dungeon worth farming by the way? Not so familiar with the drops.

Right I see.

Any lower Dungeon worth farming by the way? Not so familiar with the drops.
Unless you want to start collecting stuff for the Vanity system, the things you get in dungeons will get obsolete after a few hours.

The dungeons themselves are worth farming for XP though.

Zalasta

Heavy is probably the most annoying debuff in this game and you got this entire section in the dungeon where you're perma-slowed.

Why is it that every special move from a mob has a chance to inflict heavy when you don't engage it? That has got to be the single most annoying thing about traveling. >.>

Why is it that every special move from a mob has a chance to inflict heavy when you don't engage it? That has got to be the single most annoying thing about traveling. >.>
Walking through South Shroud

Go near a Kedtrap and get aggro

20 seconds Heavy

(&#664;&#8255;&#664;&#10047;)

aceface

Oh for the guy who was complaining about the random mouse cursor that appears when you aim ground based spells on PS3 with a controller, it seems to have been removed in one of these last hot fixes.

Number45

I'm quite impressed with the little PS3 keyboard. Considering how little it cost it's really nicely made (I do like me some Sony products). Anyone know if it's PC compatible?

Might get one for work. :)

I seem to be ahead of progress as far as levelling goes. Level 16 and I still don't have the first dungeon quest (I've done little more than hunting log, FATEs, main storyline and class quests). Most I've done is tanked the first Guildhest and the targeting was a nightmare as I expected. Really need practice, but don't like practising with other peoples time! D:

Both daily quest areas have mobs that cast that also... so annoying.

I'm fairly certain that like every attack has a chance to give you heavy if you are mounted. Found that out while exploring the world while under leveled. Was best to just dismount and sprint when going though mobs and I never once got the heavy that way.

dramatis

The worst case scenario when you queue into Crystal Tower with the class you were hoping to get loot for:

vLaHvk3.jpg

The RNG god is too strong for me.

I just realized that when the PS4 players flood in would be the perfect time to level my last DPS job (Pugilist). DPS queues are agonizing right now but when a bunch of new players arrive at the same time they should be much better.

I seem to be ahead of progress as far as levelling goes. Level 16 and I still don't have the first dungeon quest (I've done little more than hunting log, FATEs, main storyline and class quests). Most I've done is tanked the first Guildhest and the targeting was a nightmare as I expected. Really need practice, but don't like practising with other peoples time! D:

It's not unusual to be a couple of levels above the main quests but eventually you'll find your current level and the quest level will start to get really close in later levels (well, from my personal experience anyway!).

Stuart444

It's not unusual to be a couple of levels above the main quests but eventually you'll find your current level and the quest level will start to get really close in later levels (well, from my personal experience anyway!).

This is true, for us at least, it was around level 43 where we had to start fate grinding for a bit because the main story/side quests were all a few levels higher.

Number45

Mentioned this before, but is there anywhere that provides the Lodestone news as an RSS feed? I hate having to actually look for news.

AkuMifune

Banned
Time Period: Feb. 20, 2014 to Feb. 26, 2014
- Accounts receiving disciplinary action for RMT advertising: 435
- Accounts receiving disciplinary action for RMT/illicit activity: 1,112
- Action Details: Permanent ban from FINAL FANTASY XIV

Good! Get 'em all. Looking back through the notices I see they've done this before. Glad to see them invested in it.

Nose Master

Did they nerf Duty Roulette XP? I got 120k or so the other day for a pretty low level dungeon (totorak or something), and yesterday I only got 68k, for a higher level dungeon. This was while on a job class that was several levels higher on the lower xp run.

Did they nerf Duty Finder XP? I got 120k or so the other day for a pretty low level dungeon (totorak or something), and yesterday I only got 68k, for a higher level dungeon. This was while on a job class that was several levels higher on the lower xp run.

your bonus for roulette will vary depending on how much of a gap there is between your character level and the level of the content you get randomly assigned to.

So if you get toto-rak when you're lv 25, you're not going to get as much of a bonus as you would if you got tam-tara because you're getting more exp from the mobs themselves.

Nose Master

your bonus for roulette will vary depending on how much of a gap there is between your character level and the level of the content you get randomly assigned to.

So if you get toto-rak when you're lv 25, you're not going to get as much of a bonus as you would if you got tam-tara because you're getting more exp from the mobs themselves.

I had no idea. Good to know :O

omlet

27 weeks, 30+ clears.

Finally saw monk pants drop in turn 1 this week for the first time.

One piece (body) away from full allagan set.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Did some duty finders last night, my first time tanking in a party since XI. Basics seem the same. Get aggro, try to keep it, keep the angle away from casters, and stun when possible. Anything I'm missing or new to XIV?

Jayhawk

Did some duty finders last night, my first time tanking in a party since XI. Basics seem the same. Get aggro, try to keep it, keep the angle away from casters, and stun when possible. Anything I'm missing or new to XIV?

Moving to dodge special moves when you can is new compared to FFXI.

frequency

Move out of red circles/cones/whatever if you can't interrupt it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah, I did get that pretty early. Did have to give proper angles in XI, but not for the special enemy attacks, but to expose the backside of mobs to DPS players (Thief attacks is what I remember most, using 2 "tank" characters and using Sneak/Trick attack to swap up aggro)

yeah, I did get that pretty early. Did have to give proper angles in XI, but not for the special enemy attacks, but to expose the backside of mobs to DPS players (Thief attacks is what I remember most, using 2 "tank" characters and using Sneak/Trick attack to swap up aggro)

monks and dragoons have attacks that rely on positioning to maximize damage, so make sure that monks and dragoons can get to the rear and flank of mobs whenever possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom