• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrSuLeTzU

We're in the month of 2.2, so I was definitely ready to give up but I'm very happy I've managed to get her down before the big patch, and that's all I really wanted at this point. Getting a healing weapon or pants before the next update would be nice too but getting into turn 6-9 is what I really wanted. :) (You're suppose to defeat Twintania in order to progress, right?)

imWCsoi0uXMA1.jpg

I can't thank the members of the ZR free company enough for our kill today.
i18VNooFBO6yA.jpg

Congrats! You have to clear T5 every week to advance to 6-9, but you should do that anyway.

desu

Congrats! You have to clear T5 every week to advance to 6-9, but you should do that anyway.

Did they ever really say that? Because it makes no sense for people to waste 1h beating old content (T1-5) that is basically obsolete after the first week of farming.

We're in the month of 2.2, so I was definitely ready to give up but I'm very happy I've managed to get her down before the big patch, and that's all I really wanted at this point. Getting a healing weapon or pants before the next update would be nice too but getting into turn 6-9 is what I really wanted. :) (You're suppose to defeat Twintania in order to progress, right?)

imWCsoi0uXMA1.jpg

I can't thank the members of the ZR free company enough for our kill today.
i18VNooFBO6yA.jpg

Congratulations!

I was just reading up on Turn 1-5 as I was curious what everyone was talking about and that stuff sounds so intimidating to me. I've never really gotten to the end-game of an MMO but hoping to here, I'm just nervous about screwing up.

I've been pretty much levelling Warrior and Bard side by side and have both at 35. I enjoy Warrior way more but keep getting put off playing it because I hear so many complaints about bad tanking at higher levels. I have no idea how 8 people parties work later on, with a main and backup tank so that's something else that worries me.

Should I just stick to WAR and stop worrying about this stuff? It seems like the FC is often in need of a tank so it would be nice to help, I just don't want to be the one to fuck it up.

Jayhawk

Should I just stick to WAR and stop worrying about this stuff? It seems like the FC is often in need of a tank so it would be nice to help, I just don't want to be the one to fuck it up.

Stop worrying about end-game and all this other stuff until you get there, play the class you enjoy more. You don't have to do coil when you get to 50. If it's your first 50 class, it's going to take you a few weeks to get geared up to be able to do Coil anyways.

aceface

Been playing the PS4 beta a lot the past few nights. Finally got to and beat Satasha last night. Holy hell this is such a huge upgrade over the PS3. And this coming from someone who defended the PS3 version (which I maintain is playable and I would recommend if you have no other way to play the game). It blows my mind though that some of you have been playing it like this on good PC's since the beginning. The only thing that took some getting used to in dungeons the framerate is pretty steady at 60fps (at least to my untrained eye) and it often looks like people are running around sped up in fast motion. It's similar to when I saw the Hobbit films in hfr. Just something I'll adapt to I guess.

Metaroo

Bought the game on PC and realized I couldn't get it above 5-10 FPS. Then I got it on PS3, and it runs beautifully. Level 15 Pugilist at the moment, and loving every second. Can't wait until the upgrade to PS4 becomes available.

Been playing the PS4 beta a lot the past few nights. Finally got to and beat Satasha last night. Holy hell this is such a huge upgrade over the PS3. And this coming from someone who defended the PS3 version (which I maintain is playable and I would recommend if you have no other way to play the game). It blows my mind though that some of you have been playing it like this on good PC's since the beginning. The only thing that took some getting used to in dungeons the framerate is pretty steady at 60fps (at least to my untrained eye) and it often looks like people are running around sped up in fast motion. It's similar to when I saw the Hobbit films in hfr. Just something I'll adapt to I guess.

Really? I though the ps4 version was gonna be 30 fps

I've been playing it on PS3 for so long, but I've seen how it runs on PC. PS3 is a huuuge drawback. The delay on when things pop in and the lag is so bad. I hope I can save up enough to get a PS4 soon. I need freedom from the limitations of PS3!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Haha Congrats DT, you deserve it man

We were just talking about our woes on EscapinJail's stream lol about Turn 5

Hopefully this upcoming week or next week, my group pushing hard to get it done before nerf bat comes into play

It got 3 nerfs in one week. I think you missed the boat.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I like that there are so many new players coming in. Will be fun adventuring up with other noobs.

if anything 2.2 would actually be the only way you catch up due to myth cap removal and repeatable turns 1-5

Well I'd need to get to 50 first!

WolvenOne

I hope to get Turn 5 down before 2.2 myself. I know it's already been somewhat nerfed, but, the whole echo nerf looks considerably more significant to me, and I doubt I'd find a whole party willing to turn it off just so I could prove a point.

Sorian

Banned
I hope to get Turn 5 down before 2.2 myself. I know it's already been somewhat nerfed, but, the whole echo nerf looks considerably more significant to me, and I doubt I'd find a whole party willing to turn it off just so I could prove a point.

No one will care anyway, turn 5 will most likely be a joke compared to turn 9 anyway. That's how MMOs are, no one cares how you did on old content once the new stuff is up.

No one will care anyway, turn 5 will most likely be a joke compared to turn 9 anyway. That's how MMOs are, no one cares how you did on old content once the new stuff is up.

Well, you have to beat turn 5 at least once to even do the content. So people will care at least in those regards.

hahahaha, oh my, I didn't even realize this, I just assumed SE would do the right thing but, of course, they will be backwards about it instead.

The right thing in this case is to let you completely skip it and go straight to the new content? Do they let you skip all the story quests and just watch the ending now too?

Coil is part of the story. No one should be surprised clearing it once is mandatory, in much the same way clearing the main story quests are required for you to start the endgame content.

Sorian

Banned
The right thing in this case is to let you completely skip it and go straight to the new content? Do they let you skip all the story quests and just watch the ending now too?

Coil is part of the story. No one should be surprised clearing it once is mandatory, in much the same way clearing the main story quests are required for you to start the endgame content.

People keep telling me there is a storyline somewhere in coil, I'm still not seeing it. Coil is end-game raid content, the only barrier to such content is gear. You have to look at it from the big picture, it will become ridiculous to expect a new player coming in to do any of turn 1-5 eventually because of new gear sets coming out, new tomes that can be used to buy better gear than what is dropping in 1-5, etc. etc. The community doing 1-5 will die out and then new people coming in will be screwed over when they need to get it done to get into the actual raid content that matches their item level and progression. Progressive story quests are all well and good and I agree with them whole-heartedly but they should not be tied to group work because then the late-comers have no one to go at it with, thats why they had to backpedal and add those useless 8 man dungeons to the duty roulette to kind of get more people doing it though I, personally, still haven't even bothered going back.

Noi

Just did Ifrit in the PS4 beta. My god, this game is beautiful when it's not chugging away at PS3 framerate.

Really? I though the ps4 version was gonna be 30 fps

It averages at 30, but its actually unlocked. It'll go above it during situations that allow it (like instances, cutscenes or being alone in a whole zone).

People keep telling me there is a storyline somewhere in coil, I'm still not seeing it.

lolwut

SPOILERS:
Finding Louisoix and Nael van Darnus inside with Bahamut
isn't part of the story now? Were you even paying attention during the rest of the game or are you one of those people who skips every cutscene and clicks through every dialogue without reading it?

Aeana

People keep telling me there is a storyline somewhere in coil, I'm still not seeing it. Coil is end-game raid content, the only barrier to such content is gear. You have to look at it from the big picture, it will become ridiculous to expect a new player coming in to do any of turn 1-5 eventually because of new gear sets coming out, new tomes that can be used to buy better gear than what is dropping in 1-5, etc. etc. The community doing 1-5 will die out and then new people coming in will be screwed over when they need to get it done to get into the actual raid content that matches their item level and progression. Progressive story quests are all well and good and I agree with them whole-heartedly but they should not be tied to group work because then the late-comers have no one to go at it with, thats why they had to backpedal and add those useless 8 man dungeons to the duty roulette to kind of get more people doing it though I, personally, still haven't even bothered going back.

Well, you see, there are cutscenes in Coil turns 1 and 5, and that's where the story is.

Sorian

Banned
lolwut

SPOILERS:
Finding Louisoix and Nael van Darnus inside with Bahamut
isn't part of the story now? Were you even paying attention during the rest of the game or are you one of those people who skips every cutscene and clicks through every dialogue without reading it?

Oh right, 1.0 story that they've already said is going to be taking a major backseat from here on out. Yeah, sorry, I didn't play that hot mess of a game so things from there aren't going to interest me, which is fine considering that the majority are in my shoes and don't have an inkling to the 1.0 story at all. Also, please don't lump me with people who skip the cutscenes, I always shout around here how much more important story is than gameplay in any game.

Here's the moral of the story for coil, they'll bleed it as long as they can adding turns, then we will get a grand showdown with bahamut (in normal, hard, and extreme mode!), there will be much cheering and celebration by all the major players involved (including your spoilers) and then it'll all be promptly swept under the rug and 1.0 will be a distant memory. It's not a story they even want to tell anymore and past that, it's purpose is still end game progression which should, primarily, be gear-locked not story-locked, story is just a fun little side addition to it because everyone loves lore.

Well, you see, there are cutscenes in Coil turns 1 and 5, and that's where the story is.

Can we even count turn 1 in good faith? It basically amounts to "wow, it's big down here, I bet Bahamut is around somewhere"

Oh right, 1.0 story that they've already said is going to be taking a major backseat from here on out. Yeah, sorry, I didn't play that hot mess of a game so things from there aren't going to interest me, which is fine considering that the majority are in my shoes and don't have an inkling to the 1.0 story at all. Also, please don't lump me with people who skip the cutscenes, I always shout around here how much more important story is than gameplay in any game.

Here's the moral of the story for coil, they'll bleed it as long as they can adding turns, then we will get a grand showdown with bahamut (in normal, hard, and extreme mode!), there will be much cheering and celebration by all the major players involved (including your spoilers) and then it'll all be promptly swept under the rug and 1.0 will be a distant memory. It's not a story they even want to tell anymore and past that, it's purpose is still end game progression which should, primarily, be gear-locked not story-locked, story is just a fun little side addition to it because everyone loves lore.

I see, so the huge CG cutscene which opens the game and the events of the whole game which are critical and follow what is seen in the cutscene are actually in the backseat. Good to know. But yes, Coil has an actual story and it does follow on with the events of the whole game and whatever individual issues you seem to have with this game's relaunch have no bearing on this verifiable fact.

Sorian

Banned
I see, so the huge CG cutscene which opens the game and the events of the whole game which are critical and follow what is seen in the cutscene are actually in the backseat. Good to know. But yes, Coil has an actual story and it does follow on with the events of the whole game and whatever individual issues you seem to have with this game's relaunch have no bearing on this verifiable fact.

Writing is on the walls as far as I am concerned:

There were some big plot lines they had to wrap-up but this is effectively a reboot with some integrated lore already, they will take the first opportunity that they can to distance themselves from 1.0 with an ok conclusion.

However, we aren't addressing my original point anyway. Again, coil is the end game progression for this game, it's nice to layer story onto it (whether it is throwaway story or not doesn't matter) but the crux of the end game progression is gear and if you're gear is better than that stuff then you need to be able to move up to the stuff that does match your level without having to find 7 other people who are in the same boat as you.

Wilsongt

Eh... I am wondering if I should do a server switch now that Legacy can go to non-legacy... At the rate I am going, I'm never gonna finish any end game content except Ct, lol

Edit: Actually, I think I might just do an alt for Ultros.

BadRNG

However, we aren't addressing my original point anyway. Again, coil is the end game progression for this game, it's nice to layer story onto it (whether it is throwaway story or not doesn't matter) but the crux of the end game progression is gear and if you're gear is better than that stuff then you need to be able to move up to the stuff that does match your level without having to find 7 other people who are in the same boat as you.
It's going to take weeks for a new player to have gear that surpasses all of coil stuff, so I'm not sure how a new player will have gear better than turn 1-5 right off the bat. There are still people doing 4mans for i60 stuff despite philosophy tomes growing on trees even now.

If turn 1-5 still had a one week lockout, couldn't be DF'd, and wasn't being nerfed into the ground - yeah you may have a point. It'd be like BC era WoW where you had to do stupidly long attunement runs to get new people ready. But none of that is true, it's going to be content that is easily pugged. There won't be a huge amount of people doing it a few patches down the road, but new players will still be able to get it done. At worst they will have to wait a little bit longer in queue. If it (the queue times) becomes a real issue they could simply add a new duty roulette, have it award a good amount of whatever the new tome is and make it for old 8man progression stuff. Coil, HM primals, Chimera/Hydra. This would at least insure there is always a route for people who need those to get it done.

I really don't think your complaint will end up being a valid one. If people can still get enough members to do something like Cape Westwind or Moogle Mog, they're going to be able to get members for coil.

Sorian

Banned
It's going to take weeks for a new player to have gear that surpasses all of coil stuff, so I'm not sure how a new player will have gear better than turn 1-5 right off the bat. There are still people doing 4mans for i60 stuff despite philosophy tomes growing on trees even now.

If turn 1-5 still had a one week lockout, couldn't be DF'd, and wasn't being nerfed into the ground - yeah you may have a point. It'd be like BC era WoW where you had to do stupidly long attunement runs to get new people ready. But none of that is true, it's going to be content that is easily pugged. There won't be a huge amount of people doing it a few patches down the road, but new players will still be able to get it done. At worst they will have to wait a little bit longer in queue. If it (the queue times) becomes a real issue they could simply add a new duty roulette, have it award a good amount of whatever the new tome is and make it for old 8man progression stuff. Coil, HM primals, Chimera/Hydra. This would at least insure there is always a route for people who need those to get it done.

I really don't think your complaint will end up being a valid one. If people can still get enough members to do something like Cape Westwind or Moogle Mog, they're going to be able to get members for coil.

You aren't thinking long term though. You are right with this coming patch but think about 2.3 or 2.4. There will be a new set of tomes that people will be earning that will be used to buy gear that outlevels coil 1-5 (I'd assume, please correct me if I'm wrong), at first these tomes will be hard to come by but it'll get easier after some mini-updates, this will be when newer players getting to the top will start being able to mismatch really good gear with just ok gear but their gear level will start placing them above working on coil 1-5. It'll create a limitation that should have been avoided in the first place and then what? just drop it because it is convenient? "We want you to do all the content in order because there is a riveting story here........but we didn't plan ahead and now that isn't practical so now we are forced to either drop that limitation or tell new players to suck it up and find other people to do dead content."

It's more baffling to me, honestly, because they are doing a great job of having a continuation of the storyline with each patch update that is mostly solo quests (good) culminating in a very easy group quest (fun idea when first presented but bad long term and that people already barely do anymore already) and then also adding in something that progresses the end game skill and gear checks (CT was a bit backwards but was there to bridge new players into end game easier than vanilla 2.0). They have these two pretty good tracks going on, why make storyline a block in the gear/skill progression track?

Eh... I am wondering if I should do a server switch now that Legacy can go to non-legacy... At the rate I am going, I'm never gonna finish any end game content except Ct, lol

Edit: Actually, I think I might just do an alt for Ultros.

Come to Ultros, we are all friendly and willing to help if we don't have something else going on.

Yes, I am new and can vouch that everyone on Ultros has been really kind and helpful in helping me out with the early level stuff. I hope when I get caught up I can help everyone else with the end game stuff. And I'll gladly help with anyone new who needs help with the earlier things as well. I like to repay the same kindness that was shown towards me!

Ken

The community doing 1-5 will die out and then new people coming in will be screwed over when they need to get it done to get into the actual raid content that matches their item level and progression. Progressive story quests are all well and good and I agree with them whole-heartedly but they should not be tied to group work because then the late-comers have no one to go at it with

You're assuming 2.2 will keep said community busy 7 days a week until 2.3, which I highly doubt. Before and even after all the new turns are on farm status, people will get bored and either log off or go back to old, repeatable content and Coil Part 1 neatlly fits the bill.

Sorian

Banned
You're assuming 2.2 will keep said community busy 7 days a week until 2.3, which I highly doubt. Before and even after all the new turns are on farm status, people will get bored and either log off or go back to old, repeatbable content with the old Coil neatly fits into.

And which one do you think more people will do?

And again, I'm talking longer term than just 2.2. 2.3 will be giving us more bosses in CT, presumably, for example.

Ken

That's just from you spending too much time with GAF, people like getting their MMOs into farm status so that the time commitment for each week becomes less.

Edit: Heh, well there you go ^

Actually, I've been spending less and less time with GAF, so it's always amazing to log in at the end of the week and still see people on.

WolvenOne

I'm not too worried about running out of stuff to do in 2.3. Once I get WAR and DRG to the new iLvl cap, I'll work on something else. I'm going through a lot of effort to pace out, "some," content so I don't run entirely dry, and so far it's paid off.

Kinda hope they get content updates down to two months at some point though. I can't pace out secondary jobs forever after all. XD

Sorian

Banned
Actually, I've been spending less and less time with GAF, so it's always amazing to log in at the end of the week and still see people on.

Same, unfortunately, been low on my time commitment to the game so I've really only logged in when I can to do a duty roulette and try my hand at whichever EM is being recruited for in PF.

That being said though, we need to remember that we are a part of the odd community and we shouldn't assume that most of the player base acts the way GAF does :p

Aeana

We just got a ton of new members, and I expect that with transfers from legacy opening up this weekend, we'll be getting more soon.

One of the few things I actually like about this game, and hope they don't change, is how they gate off content. So yeah, unless they change how they have been doing a ton of things I think it is fair to assume that clearing turns 1-5 at least once will be mandatory to get to the next set of turns.

Sorian

Banned
One of the few things I actually like about this game, and hope they don't change, is how they gate off content. So yeah, unless they change how they have been doing a ton of things I think it is fair to assume that clearing turns 1-5 at least once will be mandatory to get to the next set of turns.

/shrug

To each their own I guess, I've said most of my piece on it, I think it'll just lead to heavy nerfs whenever there is new content or people being left behind in a smaller pool of people willing to do the content which is a real lose/lose to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom