• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoplatee

This question probably has been asked a million times already in this thread but here goes anyway -

How is healing in this game? My only experience is a few years of WoW on a Druid and I really enjoyed that. Is it comparable to that? I'm not talking spells but more about how 'fun' it is compared to WoW. Or is it really horrible 'job' in this MMO?

e) Also tanked sometimes on my Warrior but not really interested in that unless for some reason that is also just as much fun as it was in WoW :p

/shrug

To each their own I guess, I've said most of my piece on it, I think it'll just lead to heavy nerfs whenever there is new content or people being left behind in a smaller pool of people willing to do the content which is a real lose/lose to me.

Yeah it does seem that that is the way they are doing things, nerfing stuff when they move ahead to the new content, but still requiring it. Sure, I wish they didn't do that and just forced everyone to go though it hard, but I also think that they should remove teleports from the game and various things like that so I'm not really to be listened to.

I don't doubt that they will change their mind though and just open everything up without gating things, but I really hope not. I still think removing attunments from things was one of the worst things they ever did to WoW. You wounder why everyone starts saying there is nothing to do when all they did was speed level to cap then get in a carry group for the newest latest content and get the current top gear.

Tabris

Content is at a delicate spot right now where the top content is easy enough for the 1%ers but not easy enough where they are willing to help people after "they've gotten theirs" (i.e. EX Primals)

That should hopefully change with 2.2.

UrSuLeTzU

One of the few things I actually like about this game, and hope they don't change, is how they gate off content. So yeah, unless they change how they have been doing a ton of things I think it is fair to assume that clearing turns 1-5 at least once will be mandatory to get to the next set of turns.

/shrug

To each their own I guess, I've said most of my piece on it, I think it'll just lead to heavy nerfs whenever there is new content or people being left behind in a smaller pool of people willing to do the content which is a real lose/lose to me.

As Kagari said earlier, you probably only need to complete the binding coil quest to advance to the next tier of coil. I think that makes sense and it's fair to everyone.

UrSuLeTzU

Meaning just the quest to unlock coil? Or am I reading that wrong?

Errm, the quest Urianger gives in the Walking sands which requires you to complete turn 5. Not liking the nerfing stuff either but I guess SE is out of ideas(on how to get new people and more casual people up to speed) at this point...

chrono01

Yeah, I'm guessing that the only requirement for moving onto Turn 6-9 is clearing Turn 5 and completing the quest Urianger gives you after doing so. Turns 1-4 probably won't be required and, since you won't need to do those to access Turn 5 [in the later patch], people [if they're geared/experienced enough] will simply be able to kill Twintania, complete the quest, and then move onwards to the later Turns.

I suppose there's no way to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it incorporated in this manner.

Sorian

Banned
Errm, the quest Urianger gives in the Walking sands which requires you to complete turn 5. Not liking the nerfing stuff either but I guess SE is out of ideas(on how to get new people and more casual people up to speed) at this point...

Ah, gotcha gotcha.

ElfArmy177

Looks like it was a problem on my end. Servers dont go down until 11pm tonight. HOWEVER... this game is fugly as fuck.. needs some serious AA

EDIT: NVM, needed AA, now it looks great

This question probably has been asked a million times already in this thread but here goes anyway -

How is healing in this game? My only experience is a few years of WoW on a Druid and I really enjoyed that. Is it comparable to that? I'm not talking spells but more about how 'fun' it is compared to WoW. Or is it really horrible 'job' in this MMO?

e) Also tanked sometimes on my Warrior but not really interested in that unless for some reason that is also just as much fun as it was in WoW :p

Hey there, I healed as Druid and Shaman in WoW so I might have an idea of where you're coming from on this - as for the healing in FFXIV:

The White Mage and the Scholar are the two healing jobs. White Mage has very nice and big AOE heals, a very nice Regen spell and an enhanced version of the Stoneskin mitigation spell. White Mage also has an instant full cure. Scholar can heal a target in rapid succession with Lustrate and has two heals that apply a mitigation shield. Scholar also has two pets: one healing one support buff.

I think that healing is pretty fun in FFXIV because the strategies in a lot of content involve dmg and party placement that will test your skill. Also, the game has a stance called Cleric Stance that you might find yourself switching into to do some clutch dmg when necessary. At early levels, especially with Scholar's pet heal, healing may feel like autopilot but that changes about 5 instances in.

Ok with that said, I also play both Tanking jobs in this game and I gotta say that they are fun as hell. This game can be quite unforgiving at times if you don't have cohesion with your OT. I find it just as fun as tanking in WoW - I don't feel like I'm on autopilot when tanking save for a few encounters. Hope this helps!

Aeana

/shrug

We already know this will happen, though. They said that when the next level of content is added, nerfs for older stuff will go in.
EDIT: I totally missed all of the replies on this page.

klee123

Ok, I've decided to change servers, as I'm sick and tired of the horrible lag I'm getting (300ms), since I'm from Australia.

I'm looking to change from Adamantoise (US) to a Japanese server and does anyone know which JP GAF server is the most populated in terms of number of GAF members?

Thanks

Sorian

Banned
We already know this will happen, though. They said that when the next level of content is added, nerfs for older stuff will go in.
EDIT: I totally missed all of the replies on this page.

Can't just walk into the tail end of the convo like that :p

If clarification is necessary, yes I know that is already the plan here and I think it is a bad habit born from a lousy decision.

Really stupid question but is it possible to display another crossbar on the screen? I wouldn't mind have another crossbar off to the side that displays some of my defensive and offensive cooldowns as SMN so I know when they're up and ready for me to use them.

Ken

Really stupid question but is it possible to display another crossbar on the screen? I wouldn't mind have another crossbar off to the side that displays some of my defensive and offensive cooldowns as SMN so I know when they're up and ready for me to use them.

yeah.

character config > hotbar settings > tick visible

As Kagari said earlier, you probably only need to complete the binding coil quest to advance to the next tier of coil. I think that makes sense and it's fair to everyone.

Yeah that's what I assume as well. Like all the other stuff, you have to complete everything below it once to finish the quest to move on to the next set of stuff.

ElfArmy177

Here is a micro-review from my first 60 minutes.

+Game plays great
+Looks great with some AA
+World is fun to explore so far
+Classes/Jobs are very interesting
+Races are unique from each other and look good

-Where the fuck am I going?
-Sound effects are horrific - reminds me of an old FF game on SNES at times
-Cutscenes are boring
-Some animations are wonky

=Worlds are not free to explore in the same sense as WoW. Thats fine, but takes away from immersion.

Lain

I have only been logging on once in a while, as my FF14 fever is gone, but now it's twice that when I go log on, the game restrict my access, claiming changes in my connection or unusual access attempts.
Is that something that always happens if you don't log on for a certain period of time?

I have only been logging on once in a while, as my FF14 fever is gone, but now it's twice that when I go log on, the game restrict my access, claiming changes in my connection or unusual access attempts.
Is that something that always happens if you don't log on for a certain period of time?

Someone may have tried to hack into your account.

Why is the house always so empty? :( Most of the time its just Master Xtech and me spamming emotes back and forth at each other or sitting.
Ih4Z8vT.jpg

Why is the house always so empty? :( Most of the time its just Master Xtech and me spamming emotes back and forth at each other or sitting.

We should organize events at the house...

Hopefully they add more functionality to the house. As of right now, it's just a place to hang out at but if there isn't anything going on, why go to the house? The only permanent feature of the house seems to be all the cats hanging on the balcony.

We should organize events at the house...

Hopefully they add more functionality to the house. As of right now, it's just a place to hang out at but if there isn't anything going on, why go to the house? The only permanent feature of the house seems to be all the cats hanging on the balcony.

Yea, I understand there isn't much need to go to the house. Just kinda weird how hard a lot of people worked to get it and then no one is there. Especially with the addition of the marketboard and summoning bell I thought it would be a little more active than it is currently.

Lain

Someone may have tried to hack into your account.

I sorta doubt it, because they restricted my account and sent me an email just when I tried to log on, but who knows.

Anyways, I logged on tonight because I wanted to see the GAF house and it's really pretty. I'm spending my time taking pics XD

Stuart444

Love being on the Balcony :) too bad there is no door upstairs to get their easier but ah well.

But yeah, usually hang out at the house while waiting on DF or when I'm afk.

Yea, I understand there isn't much need to go to the house. Just kinda weird how hard a lot of people worked to get it and then no one is there. Especially with the addition of the marketboard and summoning bell I thought it would be a little more active than it is currently.

Well I have been meaning to level my crafting more...I space out that we have a marketboard and bell nearby. Tough to encourage crafting when most people don't won't to do it.

Hoplatee

Hey there, I healed as Druid and Shaman in WoW so I might have an idea of where you're coming from on this - as for the healing in FFXIV:

The White Mage and the Scholar are the two healing jobs. White Mage has very nice and big AOE heals, a very nice Regen spell and an enhanced version of the Stoneskin mitigation spell. White Mage also has an instant full cure. Scholar can heal a target in rapid succession with Lustrate and has two heals that apply a mitigation shield. Scholar also has two pets: one healing one support buff.

I think that healing is pretty fun in FFXIV because the strategies in a lot of content involve dmg and party placement that will test your skill. Also, the game has a stance called Cleric Stance that you might find yourself switching into to do some clutch dmg when necessary. At early levels, especially with Scholar's pet heal, healing may feel like autopilot but that changes about 5 instances in.

Ok with that said, I also play both Tanking jobs in this game and I gotta say that they are fun as hell. This game can be quite unforgiving at times if you don't have cohesion with your OT. I find it just as fun as tanking in WoW - I don't feel like I'm on autopilot when tanking save for a few encounters. Hope this helps!

That did help. Thanks!

expel

Ok, I've decided to change servers, as I'm sick and tired of the horrible lag I'm getting (300ms), since I'm from Australia.

I'm looking to change from Adamantoise (US) to a Japanese server and does anyone know which JP GAF server is the most populated in terms of number of GAF members?

Thanks
Officially GAF JPN is on Durandal. But we have only few ppl playing. If u're still interested u can contact Aki Rouscelia in durandal

dcye

Alright. Guess I better do my goodbyes to some of my friends at my existing FC before I do the change.

Have you tried out Battleping? I was having extreme trouble with latency on my server (Phoenix EU) until I used the trial on a recommendation from GAF. Saved me, I was ready to quit the game.

I play from Aus as well btw.

Stuart444

Had a few good shots at T4 tonight. Got to phase 3 several times. Final time, one bug didn't want to go and be absorbed causing issues with killing the dread before the next phase started and then we wiped.

Good experience tonight though. First proper shot at T4.

Redx508

Here is a micro-review from my first 60 minutes.

+Game plays great
+Looks great with some AA
+World is fun to explore so far
+Classes/Jobs are very interesting
+Races are unique from each other and look good

-Where the fuck am I going?
-Sound effects are horrific - reminds me of an old FF game on SNES at times
-Cutscenes are boring
-Some animations are wonky

=Worlds are not free to explore in the same sense as WoW. Thats fine, but takes away from immersion.

You Can't review a mmo in 60mins. some sound effects are from old FF games nothing bad about that.If your lost look at your map

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I'm bad with timing, I was like alright 500 Node hits till Gold Axe (Botany), Let's Do This!
Then the purple message of doom came up

>_<

Whoops, I messed up my timings ahah

Kem0sabe

I always play healers as well in mmo's, and been playing a conjurer to level 30 (currently 29), planning on following up with Arcanist and then White Mage, one thing i can say about these 30 levels of conjuring healing... you only heal with 2 skills, single target flash heal and a group aoe heal... thats it.

Its mind numbing boring to do dungeon runs like this, you just sit there with nothing that even remotely challenges you in terms of skill synergies/rotations or difficulty (dungeons so far are kindergarten grade stuff).

So the PS4 Beta phase is done for now. And I'm fully on-board for the real deal come mid-April
and I already pre-ordered the Collector's Edition before the start of the beta lol

Enjoyed my time mainly as a Lancer (2nd place Conjurer had its ups and downs; wish I did more as an Archer). I will most likely switch over to Pugilist when Phase 2 hits. So glad the guild is in Ul'dah so I can listen to the town music all the time

Okay, the PS3 version of this is dirt cheap & very expensive on PS4. Am I right in thinking that if I purchase on PS3, set up an account and so forth I then get the option to transfer to the PS4 version free of charge just before that comes out?

frequency

Do you have a dynamic IP address? It locks your account and asks you to change password whenever you log in from a different IP. The only way to really stop that is to get a security token.

Number45

Before I pull the trigger: if I have a PC and PS3 version registered, and I upgrade my PS3 version to PS4 when it comes out - will I then be able to add a CD key from a physical PS3 copy and play all versions? It's only ~£12 so I'm not losing a great deal, but I'm not going to bother if it won't work.

Should I just wait for someone to confirm?

AkuMifune

Banned
Played all weekend. Huzzah! Some more noob questions because I have no shame.

• Level 31 Black Mage. Leveled Goldsmith up to 20. Am I expected to level it AND weaver now to meld materia before any more dungeons? Is that expected?
  • Should I always be sleeping untargeted mobs? I do now, but not sure if people expect DPS just to focus on boss. Related, should I attack the mini-bosses that appear to defend a boss, or focus on the boss? As the main DPS usually I think I should be focusing on taking down the boss ASAP. is this wrong?
  • When the tank doesn't mark targets it's not always easy to see who he/she is attacking. Is there something on the UI to indicate?
I love this game to death. But some of the random people I've played in dungeons with are hyper critical min/max unfun jerks. That's probably an 'every MMO' thing, but there are a ton of new players and the way this game is structured most of us will be solo for awhile and new to the group dynamics. Moreover, the fist time through a dungeon we're not going to know the little things we need to do. We're learning and getting better. /rant

Jomjom

Banned
Thinking about paying the fee to transfer to ultros because my FC basically died. How many people are on the GAF FC on average at any one time?

• Level 31 Black Mage. Leveled Goldsmith up to 20. Am I expected to level it AND weaver now to meld materia before any more dungeons? Is that expected?
  • When the tank doesn't mark targets it's not always easy to see who he/she is attacking. Is there something on the UI to indicate?
1) Don't worry about materia melding anytime soon. It's not necessary until endgame content and even then it's more min maxing than requirement.

2) Click the tank and UI will tell you who the tank is attacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom