• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkuMifune

Banned
1) Don't worry about materia melding anytime soon. It's not necessary until endgame content and even then it's more min maxing than requirement.

2) Click the tank and UI will tell you who the tank is attacking.

Thanks! I was nervous to join guildhests if people expecting me to be materia'd out already. And using a controller I never thought to target the tank. I usually LB to next enemy target and keep going.

Good stuff.

Yea, I understand there isn't much need to go to the house. Just kinda weird how hard a lot of people worked to get it and then no one is there. Especially with the addition of the marketboard and summoning bell I thought it would be a little more active than it is currently.

10mil gil raised and all I'm allowed to place or move in the house, without being yelled at, are my tears.

But hey, gardening is coming in 2.2! I'm sure it'll reignite everyone's interest in the house.

Had the best CT speed run last night thanks to maintenance clock running down. Went through the whole thing less than 30 min lol. On the other hand, 2 tries at Pharaoh Sirius were disaster. Siren is such a pain in the ass with her "charm".

Kenai

This question probably has been asked a million times already in this thread but here goes anyway -

How is healing in this game? My only experience is a few years of WoW on a Druid and I really enjoyed that. Is it comparable to that? I'm not talking spells but more about how 'fun' it is compared to WoW. Or is it really horrible 'job' in this MMO?

e) Also tanked sometimes on my Warrior but not really interested in that unless for some reason that is also just as much fun as it was in WoW :p

I really like healing in this game. It can be boring/easy in lower level dungeons (like it's supposed to be for all jobs) but the difficulty picks up around Brayflox/Qarn in the 30s, and it picks up a LOT in endgame content, especially if people don't know what they are doing (which is extremely common with pugs). There's even a few fights in the game with healer specific attributes to them already that you have to learn about (in the EX fights) so I'm sure there will be more going forward.

I much prefer SCH healing to WHM healing because I have always had a fondness for pet jobs, but both compliment each other really well endgame. WHM is more of an AoE healer, with a wider range of AoE and long lasing buffs/regen (Shell/SS), while SCH has a lot more mitigation (2 absorb spells and 3 innate damage reducers in Sacred Soil, Eye 4 an Eye, and Virus). They also have a lot of free/single target healing options since the fairy has fairly short CDs and no MP bar.

Also, not to pick on anyone, but I can't see how anyone can really be "bored" healing compared to any other job in the game, since if there's nothing to heal, it's very easy to switch to Cleric Stance (a -healing +damage buff you can toggle on/off every 6 seconds) and just DPS away. Both healer specs get quite a few DPS spells they can use if healing is light and they have nothing better to do, especially since some of the spells apply status effects like Blind and Slow and Stun to indirectly prevent damage. And yet, if you don't really want to DPS, none of that is "required" since bosses are tuned around the minimal entry requirement, which assumes healers will have to dedicate resources to actual healing during fights unless they are overgeared (unless your DPS are bad/undergeared and not meeting DPS checks I guess).

WolvenOne

I really like healing in this game. It can be boring/easy in lower level dungeons (like it's supposed to be for all jobs) but the difficulty picks up around Brayflox/Qarn in the 30s, and it picks up a LOT in endgame content, especially if people don't know what they are doing (which is extremely common with pugs). There's even a few fights in the game with healer specific attributes to them already that you have to learn about (in the EX fights) so I'm sure there will be more going forward.

I much prefer SCH healing to WHM healing because I have always had a fondness for pet jobs, but both compliment each other really well endgame. WHM is more of an AoE healer, with a wider range of AoE and long lasing buffs/regen (Shell/SS), while SCH has a lot more mitigation (2 absorb spells and 3 innate damage reducers in Sacred Soil, Eye 4 an Eye, and Virus). They also have a lot of free/single target healing options since the fairy has fairly short CDs and no MP bar.

Also, not to pick on anyone, but I can't see how anyone can really be "bored" healing compared to any other job in the game, since if there's nothing to heal, it's very easy to switch to Cleric Stance (a -healing +damage buff you can toggle on/off every 6 seconds) and just DPS away. Both healer specs get quite a few DPS spells they can use if healing is light and they have nothing better to do, especially since some of the spells apply status effects like Blind and Slow and Stun to indirectly prevent damage. And yet, if you don't really want to DPS, none of that is "required" since bosses are tuned around the minimal entry requirement, which assumes healers will have to dedicate resources to actual healing during fights unless they are overgeared (unless your DPS are bad/undergeared and not meeting DPS checks I guess).

I've been meaning to ask. How effective of a healer can you be using a controller? I plan to level my WHM eventually, so as to better understand healing mechanics and how they relate to Tanking, but I fear that job may not work very well for players with controllers.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I've been meaning to ask. How effective of a healer can you be using a controller? I plan to level my WHM eventually, so as to better understand healing mechanics and how they relate to Tanking, but I fear that job may not work very well for players with controllers.

Works really well

Both WHM and SCH

The thing you only have to do at the start of the dungeon is have the tank below you, then the DPS, and if you are doing 8 man, you put your tank your healing, then the secondary, then melee, then ranged, this way, you have quick access to hit people quickly

I just scroll up and down with my directional buttons and just tag people with heals

Healing isn't that hard, you have to adjust a little
You can either Target the MT or Tank from the get go and just work from there, or you can target mobs, then wan of with target ring and heals through that way
(Only discrepancy is not to enter target on a secondary, then you have to cancel and target the main thing all over again)

WolvenOne

Works really well

Both WHM and SCH

The thing you only have to do at the start of the dungeon is have the tank below you, then the DPS, and if you are doing 8 man, you put your tank your healing, then the secondary, then melee, then ranged, this way, you have quick access to hit people quickly

I just scroll up and down with my directional buttons and just tag people with heals

Healing isn't that hard, you have to adjust a little
You can either Target the MT or Tank from the get go and just work from there, or you can target mobs, then wan of with target ring and heals through that way
(Only discrepancy is not to enter target on a secondary, then you have to cancel and target the main thing all over again)

Okay, well I guess I shouldn't be afraid of leveling that class then. XD

Aeana

Both myself and Mira play exclusively with a controller. We are the healers from the first group in the FC to beat Twintania. Take from that what you will.

(Healing works beautifully with a controller, both SCH and WHM.)

Zomba13

While I'm not a main healer I do use the controller for non menu stuff and healing is fine for me. Hardest stuff I've healed though is Garuda Hard and CT. I've got my attacks on a macro that target the target of my target and I have the MT as my default target (usually in the middle of the list in 8 man stuff so I can get to other members quicker). It lets me fire off DoTs on the boss or other things while also being able to heal my target. (SCH btw)

klee123

Have you tried out Battleping? I was having extreme trouble with latency on my server (Phoenix EU) until I used the trial on a recommendation from GAF. Saved me, I was ready to quit the game.

I play from Aus as well btw.

Hmm, that sounds like a great idea, despite paying another fee just to be able to dodge properly =S

Do you know how much it helps? In terms of ping? Typically I get around 300-350ms and for me dodging Titan's Plumes is pretty much impossible unless I was already moving.

Aeana

SCH should work nicely on a controller if you macro the fuck outta everything.

I play SCH with a controller, don't use macros (for casting more than one ability in a button press, anyway. I do use macros for things like Virus where it will try <t>, <tt>, <f> so it gets put on no matter what I'm targeting). I find they complicate more than they help, and I like having individual control over my skills. Can't relate to people who macro physick and embrace on the same key, for example. You could be casting those on two different targets at the same time for better efficiency.

It's easy to switch between cross hotbar palettes with R1+buttons.

aceface

I play SCH with a controller, don't use macros (for casting more than one ability in a button press, anyway. I do use macros for things like Virus where it will try <t>, <tt>, <f> so it gets put on no matter what I'm targeting). I find they complicate more than they help, and I like having individual control over my skills. Can't relate to people who macro physick and embrace on the same key, for example. You could be casting those on two different targets at the same time for better efficiency.

It's easy to switch between cross hotbar palettes with R1+buttons.

I never used macros for scholar either but I am thinking of setting some up for Rouse, Whispering Dawn and Fey Illumination, Succor since I always seem to do them together. Fey illumination, Succor especially, that's my go to when the group needs big heals.

dcye

Hmm, that sounds like a great idea, despite paying another fee just to be able to dodge properly =S

Do you know how much it helps? In terms of ping? Typically I get around 300-350ms and for me dodging Titan's Plumes is pretty much impossible unless I was already moving.

I've never actually bothered to measure it but I had the same problem with plumes prior to using it and found an immense improvement afterwards. I would suggest using the 30 min trial and doing a Titan HM, see how it feels. I get the best Use from the West Coast US servers based in San Jose usually. I live in Wollongong.

dcye

For SCH I only use one macro on my controller and its the one for Physick my target, Embrace my "mouseover" target for when Tank and DPS are both taking damage. Works wonders tbh.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
For SCH I only use one macro on my controller and its the one for Physick my target, Embrace my "mouseover" target for when Tank and DPS are both taking damage. Works wonders tbh.

how do you "mouseover" a party member who is not your current target w/ the ds4?

dcye

how do you "mouseover" a party member who is not your current target w/ the ds4?

So if you scroll with the up and down keys, you can select a target to lock on with the A (I use 360 controller on PC, so X on DS4). After you've locked on you can still move up and down still while being locked on to your original target, which counts as mouse over. So you press X on the tank, then you can go up to a DPS and highlight them (without locking on with the x button) and that's a mouse over. I hope that makes sense.

Allard

So if you scroll with the up and down keys, you can select a target to lock on with the A (I use 360 controller on PC, so X on DS4). After you've locked on you can still move up and down still while being locked on to your original target, which counts as mouse over. So you press X on the tank, then you can go up to a DPS and highlight them (without locking on with the x button) and that's a mouse over. I hope that makes sense.

Not sure if its the same thing, but I liked using the DS4 touch pad during PS4 beta to 'mouseover' the target of my target or in the case of a party I would keep the mouseover on the tank so it acts like a focused target. Double click the touch pad to select whatever was already selected (your touchpad place doesn't reset, so you can essentially have a mouse click fixed to one spot and use the touch pad for dynamic focus targeting). This was especially nice for solo fates as a healer, I could heal a tank while not in a party and it was a matter of simply double clicking the touch pad back and forth on the target of my target to go from tank to monster while not compromising any of my other targeting controls.

Aeana

Not sure if its the same thing, but I liked using the DS4 touch pad during PS4 beta to 'mouseover' the target of my target or in the case of a party I would keep the mouseover on the tank so it acts like a focused target. Double click the touch pad to select whatever was already selected (your touchpad place doesn't reset, so you can essentially have a mouse click fixed to one spot and use the touch pad for dynamic focus targeting). This was especially nice for solo fates as a healer, I could heal a tank while not in a party and it was a matter of simply double clicking the touch pad back and forth on the target of my target to go from tank to monster while not compromising any of my other targeting controls.

The game actually supports focus targeting, too. You can press square on a target and choose "focus target" from the menu.

Allard

The game actually supports focus targeting, too. You can press square on a target and choose "focus target" from the menu.

Oh I know that, I just like the more dynamic "target of my target" :) allows me to switch back and forth between the monster and the person getting the brunt of the damage. When the PS4 edition comes out though I will probably switch to using on focus target, especially in 8 person high level events or even alliances with a tank not in your party, but for the field fates and low man stuff that works nicely.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Relic #4 get.

smn.png

Kenai

Before they fixed Obey I had one for Rouse/Whispering to line them up right, but now I don't really need to macro anything. One for Raise might be nice just to let people know I'm doing that but I usually just say so in mumble soooo....

btkadams

Uhhh did I fuck up by not including <GAF> in my character's name? I saw so many people with that tonight ha.

Edit: or is that something else, like a clan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom