• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Man, I can't believe I've gone from having zero progress on Titan Ex for weeks, to being able to down him multiple times per week. XD

No this isn't bragging. I'll fully admit that good groups help. Anyhow, just saying, developing a bit of a taste for helping GAFers down that fight. I hope I can get several more people through it before 2.2 hits. :)

WolvenOne

Well its supposed to be harder than Pharos. I can actually see the low ilvl backfiring, at it may mean groups can very well go into it under geared and could be overwhelmed.

Not looking forward to having it on my Roulette. XD

QqqYN9F.png

This is what happens when your tank takes you right through the middle of the bit before Hellbender instead of going around the edges.

UrSuLeTzU

Sure there are cliques but I have been in groups with all the leaders and they seem like good folks. I only see most of the leaders on in the evening, which is why I hardly team up with them.

I personally will play with nearly everyone in the FC.

yeah, same here. Of course people tend to gravitate towards their static or with people they've known since the beta but I still talk in fc chat a lot and try to help whenever I can(although my LS list is full and I actually know and enjoy talking with many of those people).

Matchew

This game is fantastic. Been looking to really dig into a MMO for the first time and it was this or WoW and I like this a lot more. Only level 14 though. I did the app to join the clan at the guildworks but didn't see any Gaf people on this morning.

Monumma

Hi guys, I need some advice.
I bought the game on steam last month and I was waiting on 3 other friends to start playing it. The problem is that even the 2 cities with more starting class only have 3. I have already played the beta last year and I remember the game let you travel between cities after lvl15, which would be problematic, because we want to play together (an option would probably be pairing us up for the beginning, but it sounds kinda stupid).

Is there a way around it or should I just start playing now and assist them when they start next month?

Also,
1)When the game launched I heard a lot of complaining about people that watch cutscene and people that want to speedrun dungeon. Is the situation improved? The first time I will want to watch them (that was one of the reason I wanted to start playing with my friends, because in a light party with people that I know I can watch them without problem), but I really don't want to be the guy that slows people down.
2)Is there still a clear difference between legacy and new server? I'm guessing the economy won't be that much different by now, but legacy server will be less open with new player.
3)Looking aroung the only macro I should know is "/blist add <r>", right?

Number45

I bought the game on steam last month and I was waiting on 3 other friends to start playing it. The problem is that even the 2 cities with more starting class only have 3. I have already played the beta last year and I remember the game let you travel between cities after lvl15, which would be problematic, because we want to play together (an option would probably be pairing us up for the beginning, but it sounds kinda stupid).

Is there a way around it or should I just start playing now and assist them when they start next month?

Also,
1)When the game launched I heard a lot of complaining about people that watch cutscene and people that want to speedrun dungeon. Is the situation improved? The first time I will want to watch them (that was one of the reason I wanted to start playing with my friends, because in a light party with people that I know I can watch them without problem), but I really don't want to be the guy that slows people down.
2)Is there still a clear difference between legacy and new server? I'm guessing the economy won't be that much different by now, but legacy server will be less open with new player.
For your main question, you could always party up to keep each other company but quest alone until you can meet up.

For 1) I've been watching the cutscenes (I've only run the first two dungeons) and nobody has complained yet. I've just been telling them that it's my first time as I enter, so hopefully they'll understand. Of course I'm the tank, which helps. :p

Schuhu

Neo Member
You only get flamed for watching cutscenes in the last 8 man sceario dungeons because they are full of them and take forever (You can miss complete boss fights while watching the intros)

omlet

There's no way around it but the game is essentially a class-locked solo ride on rails from 1-15, anyway. Just pick your classes and if you don't start in the same city just meet up when the questing converges at the first dungeon. Or you can start now on a class you don't plan to play with them, get ahead, then with travel options opened to you you can start a level 1 class on your same character with them and go from there.

1) It's better now with Party Finder since you can toggle the flag that indicates you're not doing speed run, so people who join will know in advance. In addition, there are other dungeons now which are a lot better for speedruns for tomestones, so the "speedrun the story dungeons ad nauseam" phase of the game seems to be over.

2) There are many new players on legacy servers.

3) Really depends on what you want. I use macros for crafting and raiding. Some people like to macro skill use for hotkey consolidation. Some use them to store strats/tips so they don't have to type/paste them repeatedly. They're not as "required" as they were in XI or XIV1.x but they're still versatile.

frequency

I didn't know they added right click to blacklist either. I was just talking about how they never did with a friend a few days ago. I can finally remove that macro from my bars I guess.

Those ilvl requirements don't mean much. Let's not forget Ifrit EX is supposedly a ilvl 70 fight

Yeah
Don't knock it! After completing the Foestriker's set, I'm really looking forward to vanity gear. Can't decide what to go for as far as casting gear goes, but I'm definitely going Vanya for healing:
I'm not creative enough for that, I'll just put the Valientione's stuff on all classes and be done with it

Not even that, actually. They added right-click to blacklist some time ago.
Yeah, if I see a bot I just immediatly blacklist by right clicking the name lol

Stuart444

1) It's better now with Party Finder since you can toggle the flag that indicates you're not doing speed run, so people who join will know in advance. In addition, there are other dungeons now which are a lot better for speedruns for tomestones, so the "speedrun the story dungeons ad nauseam" phase of the game seems to be over.

To add to this point. I very much recommend the Party Finder, at least for the last two story dungeons (especially the very last one). I used it for the last story dungeon and got a mix of people who haven't done it before and people who have that thought it sounded fun to take it nice and easy without speed running it Far far better than any group you would get with the Duty Finder function.

Some people may whisper you and say "Just use DF" but it's worth persisting to get a full group of people who won't cutscene skip and/or people who will wait for others to finish cutscenes*

*Only exception to this is, the last boss can be accidentally started so if you're watching the cutscene, the boss might be over before you even finish it... yes this happened to me XD.

omlet

Or if you get a partial group via Party Finder and get tired of waiting for one or two more people, you can just queue in Duty Finder with your current partial party and hope the randoms you get are at least somewhat on your main group's wavelength. The nice thing about premades though is you just need 8 people and it doesn't matter what jobs you are so if you need to bring +1 healer or tank or something because of people without multiple 50s, no problem.

Monumma

For your main question, you could always party up to keep each other company but quest alone until you can meet up.

There's no way around it but the game is essentially a class-locked solo ride on rails from 1-15, anyway. Just pick your classes and if you don't start in the same city just meet up when the questing converges at the first dungeon. Or you can start now on a class you don't plan to play with them, get ahead, then with travel options opened to you you can start a level 1 class on your same character with them and go from there.

Eh, thought so. It's a shame. I'm thinking to start this weekend on CNJ or ACN and switch to the other one when my friends decide to tag along if by that time I'm too overlevelled. Then I force them to Ul'Dah for Gladiator, Pugilist and Thaumaturge and even if they are running solo at that point we will be close to each other.

It shouldn't be this hard, though.

For 1) I've been watching the cutscenes (I've only run the first two dungeons) and nobody has complained yet. I've just been telling them that it's my first time as I enter, so hopefully they'll understand. Of course I'm the tank, which helps. :p

You only get flamed for watching cutscenes in the last 8 man sceario dungeons because they are full of them and take forever (You can miss complete boss fights while watching the intros)

Good to hear. I totally get wanting to play the most time possible in a game with a paid subscription, but I could never play skipping cutscene. Hopefully I'll find people kind enough to let me watch the cutscene even in the last dungeons (didn't know there where dungeons that couldn't be light-partied, btw)

2) There are many new players on legacy servers.

I asked because I read a lot of people suggesting ragnarock for newbies, and it seemed weird.

3) Really depends on what you want. I use macros for crafting and raiding. Some people like to macro skill use for hotkey consolidation. Some use them to store strats/tips so they don't have to type/paste them repeatedly. They're not as "required" as they were in XI or XIV1.x but they're still versatile.

Not even that, actually. They added right-click to blacklist some time ago.

Awesome, thanks. I will continue bothering you.

fake edit:

To add to this point. I very much recommend the Party Finder, at least for the last two story dungeons (especially the very last one). I used it for the last story dungeon and got a mix of people who haven't done it before and people who have that thought it sounded fun to take it nice and easy without speed running it Far far better than any group you would get with the Duty Finder function.

Some people may whisper you and say "Just use DF" but it's worth persisting to get a full group of people who won't cutscene skip and/or people who will wait for others to finish cutscenes*

*Only exception to this is, the last boss can be accidentally started so if you're watching the cutscene, the boss might be over before you even finish it... yes this happened to me XD.

Or if you get a partial group via Party Finder and get tired of waiting for one or two more people, you can just queue in Duty Finder with your current partial party and hope the randoms you get are at least somewhat on your main group's wavelength. The nice thing about premades though is you just need 8 people and it doesn't matter what jobs you are so if you need to bring +1 healer or tank or something because of people without multiple 50s, no problem.

Interesting stuff, I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Eh, thought so. It's a shame. I'm thinking to start this weekend on CNJ or ACN and switch to the other one when my friends decide to tag along if by that time I'm too overlevelled. Then I force them to Ul'Dah for Gladiator, Pugilist and Thaumaturge and even if they are running solo at that point we will be close to each other.
Notice that to get a job you need the main class at 30, and the sub at 15, and those two are always in different cities as far as I remember. My friends started as CNJ and LNC, so I picked ARC and got it to 15 with them before I went BLM.

kierwynn

Maple, Strawberry, and Elliott. Never partied with any of them, and rarely see them say anything in FC.

Just saying what I see. Maybe it was different before 2.1, or maybe it's different for those talking on mumble.

Um, a little late to this but I used to do stuff with FC people all the time. I actually am rarely on now a days because I am so busy (I am working on my master's degree and I work) which is why you never see me say anything. I'm not even ever in mumble lobby anymore because I can't concentrate with so many people talking. Honestly, I really shouldn't have to defend myself, but I don't exactly appreciate being called out for something that isn't even really my fault.

jiien

Um, a little late to this but I used to do stuff with FC people all the time. I actually am rarely on now a days because I am so busy (I am working on my master's degree and I work) which is why you never see me say anything. I'm not even ever in mumble lobby anymore because I can't concentrate with so many people talking. Honestly, I really shouldn't have to defend myself, but I don't exactly appreciate being called out for something that isn't even really my fault.

Oh hey, totally nothing to do with the above, but congrats on becoming a Member!

Kem0sabe

For these last few weeks i have been playing the heck out of this, leveling first my conjurer, then my arcanist, so i could unlock the white mage job.

Here are some of my impressions from the game so far:

Ill start with the cons

1. Solo, solo... solo questing you go from zone to zone. It's a single player FF game until you decide to go into the duty finder.

2. Map/zone design, it lacks exploration, too constricting and is nothing more than go to quest hub A do quests, that lead to a second quest hub and then your done, nothing more to see until you proceed to the next zone.

3. Fates, i know this is supposed to be group content, an interesting way to keep players engaged, but these fates are extremely uninspired and lack tiered progression. When in GW2's events you could progress through multiple stages of an event, here its just the single one, and rinse repeat.

4. Lack of voice overs, coming from other mmo's with great voice overs, its very jarring to have to read everything again in FFXIV, it's a shame because some of the writing fits right into the universe, but the cheesy animations and the constant text bubbles make me skip through most of it.

Pros

1. Class system, this is how you should do a well balanced and intuitive system with complexity at key points. The Secret world system is nice and all, but overly deep for new players for example.

2. Graphics, this game looks and runs beautifully, its incredibly optimized and has perfect art direction and aesthetics in line with the series. (i'm running this almost maxed, except for shadows on a 3 year old rig).

3. Duty finder, awesome tool, very fast, very intuitive, all kinds of content available and unlocked as you go. For me its the current gold standard for any mmo who wants to implement and "dungeon finder".

4. Traditional mmo combat, i have to say i'm not a big fan of the current trend, the latest being ESO. I love playing a healer, tab targeting, choosing unit frames, selecting skills from hotbars... FFXIV enables this to perfection.

5. Newb friendly, the community, the game systems, the help system, everything is geared to making the game as smooth as an experience as possible for new players. Its perfect that way for anyone wanting to try out an mmo.

6. Population, the game is teaming with players and guilds (Free companies) recruiting, so your in for a good time if you enjoy that.

creid

3. Fates, i know this is supposed to be group content, an interesting way to keep players engaged, but these fates are extremely uninspired and lack tiered progression. When in GW2's events you could progress through multiple stages of an event, here its just the single one, and rinse repeat.
There are a few multi-staged FATEs.

desu

i55? welp.... so much for those being hard as some predicted I guess. lol

More content worth to be played once ... 2.2 looks absolutely glorious (really wonder how long before my FC will just quit the game). Let's hope the next live letter will have some interesting stuff.

Monumma

Notice that to get a job you need the main class at 30, and the sub at 15, and those two are always in different cities as far as I remember. My friends started as CNJ and LNC, so I picked ARC and got it to 15 with them before I went BLM.

Yes, I read about it and maybe I'm just thinking it too much about what it would be just the start of the game, but it seems like, if you (ideally) want to end up with a tank, a healer and 2 dps, the healer or the tank will have to start the adventure in another city:

Actually no, I looked it up better and you only can't do it if you want to start from Ul'dah. If you start from gridania you can get the tank doing CNJ and then PLD while if you just start Limsa Lominsa the only problem is that one of the dps would have to start the game becoming a Dragoon. Either way it should be doable. Thanks for the tip.

Isaccard

You missed picture day

I don't get the mentality of making new 4 man content and then have the ilvl so low that no one will care or run it. I'm assuming it takes time and resources to make this content so why are they wasting it by making content nobody will actually care about or run? This seems to be gross mismanagement of the game design and planned progression.

Aeana

Well, it was already confirmed that the new Amdapor dungeon drops the new type of tome, so since the other hard modes match it in ilvl, they probably do too. So there's a reason to run them. We're kinda back in the 2.0 situation where the sources of the best type of tome will be few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom