• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
More content worth to be played once ... 2.2 looks absolutely glorious (really wonder how long before my FC will just quit the game). Let's hope the next live letter will have some interesting stuff.

I want to see the new gear.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My subscription has 45+ days left (I cancelled reoccuring payment) So, I think that'll give me enough time to clear the story bits of 2.2 and call it a day when it comes out. I'll throw down $15 when the next patch hits in another 3 months.

WolvenOne

I played every day, I just never focused on capping stuff.

It does get to be counter-intuitive after awhile. I mean, Myth is almost always worth Capping, but running CT every week often isn't worth it. Granted, that's mostly because I don't want to get sick of CT runs. XD

Edit: for newer players, or people gearing up multiple Level 50 classes, CT drops aren't worthless. It's worthless for people whom have been at 50 for ages and aren't doing a ton of gearing up, it's kinda pointless, as you can usually gear up via Myth and Allagan faster. If you're gearing up multiple classes at once, or you're gearing up your first 50, CT gear is helpful.

omlet

I played every day, I just never focused on capping stuff.

Last week was the first week since early October that I didn't cap myth. At first it felt bad but then I realized that the past few weeks I've just been blowing myth on jobs I hardly even play anymore.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
wow @ the last couple pages of this thread.

You aren't nearly as innocent as you portray graverobber. I don't particularly mind people with abrasive attitudes as it mixes things up. What I do mind, are people who get all huffy when everybody doesn't stop what they are doing, halt their static progression, and help with content that was doable in roughly 30% of PUG groups.

If I were to assume, you had some guild at some point in your MMO career that handed you shit to boost you above other players. In FFXIV you had to actually earn them yourself and that was shocking and blame was placed on the "leadership". FFXIV is not structured well for carrying as it relies a lot on individual skill. If you're having trouble finding a static, it's likely your attitude and/or skill level (compounded by the PS3 limitations).

Aeana

Last week was the first week since early October that I didn't cap myth. At first it felt bad but then I realized that the past few weeks I've just been blowing myth on jobs I hardly even play anymore.
It's the same for me. I'm not capping this week. It'll be my first week that I don't, but I'm okay with that. I think taking a break before 2.2 is the way to go for me. Now I can log on and do whatever I actually feel like instead of feeling pressured to do something else. Or not log on and play something else or watch TV or whatever. I don't regret capping every week before this, because it enabled cool stuff, but now we're on the verge of a patch that will maken i90 gear obsolete, so might as well take a break.

desu

I don't get the mentality of making new 4 man content and then have the ilvl so low that no one will care or run it. I'm assuming it takes time and resources to make this content so why are they wasting it by making content nobody will actually care about or run? This seems to be gross mismanagement of the game design and planned progression.

As much as I like the game and Yoshida, the mismanagement is pretty high. So much time/content wasted. I guess this works well for casual players, for the rest it most likely doesn't. It's really hard to justify to pay 10€ a month for basically 1,5h content a week (and maybe 1-3weeks of after a new patch).

I don't expect 2.2 to bring anything really worthwhile to the table (or anything that lasts us until the next patch). Motivation in my FC/static has become 0 and I am just waiting for the first people to quit the game/play something else.

WolvenOne

You aren't nearly as innocent as you portray graverobber. I don't particularly mind people with abrasive attitudes as it mixes things up. What I do mind, are people who get all huffy when everybody doesn't stop what they are doing, halt their static progression, and help with content that was doable in roughly 30% of PUG groups.

If I were to assume, you had some guild at some point in your MMO career that handed you shit to boost you above other players. In FFXIV you had to actually earn them yourself and that was shocking and blame was placed on the "leadership". FFXIV is not structured well for carrying as it relies a lot on individual skill. If you're having trouble finding a static, it's likely your attitude and/or skill level (compounded by the PS3 limitations).

Please lets not argue. I realize some people get frustrated with X, Y, or Z situations, but these sorts of personality conflicts should be resolved privately, if they're going to be resolved at all. Otherwise it just poisons the atmosphere for everyone not involved in these conflicts.

Besides, I'm sure people need a little air, when it comes to this particular subject.

It's the same for me. I'm not capping this week. It'll be my first week that I don't, but I'm okay with that. I think taking a break before 2.2 is the way to go for me. Now I can log on and do whatever I actually feel like instead of feeling pressured to do something else. Or not log on and play something else or watch TV or whatever. I don't regret capping every week before this, because it enabled cool stuff, but now we're on the verge of a patch that will maken i90 gear obsolete, so might as well take a break.

Yesterday I got my last piece of CT (I have already 2 sets) and I think I won't do that place once again. Once I complete daily beast tribes quests I will be able to do other more relaxing stuff without feeling preassured. Having to do CT so many times to get my last piece really drained the mood of playing the game.

The fault is only mine, but my OCD gaming habits can kick hard sometimes :(

Ken

Welcome to my revelations a month ago.

omlet

This sounds really familiar... seems like the two GAF FCs have some things in common!

WolvenOne

I still plan to Cap, just because it's useful to have ample Myth on hand for when you get a new class to 50. For example, I was able to get my DRG upto iLvl88, just three days after getting it to 50, in large part because of all the Myth I had stored up.

That said, the Myth Cap is being lifted in a few weeks, so if you're a little short I wouldn't go out of your way to cap. XD

WolvenOne

BTW, I have two questions.

First, seeing as I now have a DPS class, I'd like one of those programs that reads my DPS, so I can better read how good my damage is see when/where I need to make improvements. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Second, how do you disable Camera-Locking a target when you click the left analog stick again? I've already disabled this myself, but, I know of at least one player that hasn't, and I'd like to be able to walk him through it. :)

I still cap myth since it seems gearing my WHM is not a bad idea just in case I have to go healer for my Coil group. If it wasn't for that, I doubt I'd be capping myth, I don't even bother capping myth on my alt anymore.

Isaccard

Please lets not argue. I realize some people get frustrated with X, Y, or Z situations, but these sorts of personality conflicts should be resolved privately, if they're going to be resolved at all. Otherwise it just poisons the atmosphere for everyone not involved in these conflicts.

Besides, I'm sure people need a little air, when it comes to this particular subject.

Then just ignore it? Let the mods deal with it if it's detracting from the thread.

Tabris

Um, a little late to this but I used to do stuff with FC people all the time. I actually am rarely on now a days because I am so busy (I am working on my master's degree and I work) which is why you never see me say anything. I'm not even ever in mumble lobby anymore because I can't concentrate with so many people talking. Honestly, I really shouldn't have to defend myself, but I don't exactly appreciate being called out for something that isn't even really my fault.

I'm not intending to call you out or offend. There's nothing wrong with being busy and only having time to play in your static or with close friends. Life is more important than a video game. The issue is a good amount of the leadership is like this, and there is a disconnect I feel due to it. You need active leadership in my opinion.

It would be nice to see leadership arrange events, like full GAF CT runs, or Garuda EX learning runs for new members, as example. Help drive an actual team environment, instead of the fractured environment I feel we have now.

Honestly, people like Elrina and Tirazel (as example) feel more like the leaders I would expect than some of the actual leaders. They either try to arrange things or are always helping random members with different content. If I ever see someone ask for help, I always see "I'll help heal" by Tirazel.

That's the point I'm trying to make. I personally feel a disconnect, and I don't expect individual people to change if they are too busy to do anything but play with their statics, but if that's the case, maybe let's get new blood into the leadership group. One's that play outside their statics and are willing to arrange FC events.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that and drop it, since people are bothered by the debate. Just wanted to express my opinions.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
As an OG GAF and SoD member, I will continue to lead by example

That example:

I don't know what I'm doing, lemme hit that with an axe.

Ken

you put too much weight on silly titles like officers and leaders, tabris

view the FC as more than a chatroom and a pool of players and you set yourself up for disappointment

Tabris

Is this your first MMO?

Nope, my first was FFXI where I was in a linkshell where we had daily events and the goal of the group was to drive the betterment of the overall group. Help one person out, someone else helps you out, they help someone out. Pay it forward of gaming. Then you are able to tackle on a lot more as an entire community.

BadRNG

I'm not intending to call you out. There's nothing wrong with being busy and only having time to play in your static or with close friends. The issue is a good amount of the leadership is like this, and there is a disconnect I feel due to it. You need active leadership in my opinion.

It would be nice to see leadership arrange events, like full GAF CT runs, or Garuda EX learning runs for new members, as example. Help drive an actual team environment, instead of the fractured environment I feel we have now.

That's the point I'm trying to make. I personally feel a disconnect, and I don't expect individual people to change if they are too busy to do anything but play with their statics, but if that's the case, let's get new blood into the leadership group. One's that play outside their statics and are willing to arrange FC events.
See, when I think "active leadership", I think people that log on frequently and are on hand enough to settle any problems or manage the FC in general. We have that. Officers, especially in an FC this big, don't need to be everyone's best friend and running other people through stuff all the time. They're there to grease the wheels and keep the machine running. They're management, not tour guides.

Even if we had more weekly events like we did ages ago, it wouldn't necessarily get people who want to play primarily with their friends to branch out either. It'll likely just get a lot of newer people to make friends, and if that is your ultimate goal, why aren't you scheduling your own events? Anyone can make an event on the FC website calendar.

I used to run stuff outside my static a lot more often, but that was purely due to the fact I played more often(and I still help out when I can), however now that I've essentially run out of content I only log on a few times a week. Yet even during those brief periods I am on, I still see people making spontaneous groups in FC all the time. It doesn't feel like a fractured environment at all.

I could however get behind the idea of having another Leadership vote like we did like 5 months ago(has it really been that long?). Many of those elected did used to run groups all the time, but like most people who have been playing that long, their playtime has cutback. There's just not much to do for a lot of people right now. So getting some new blood in there isn't a bad idea, but this "issue" may cure itself when the new patch hits and everyone begins playing more often.

omlet

you put too much weight on silly titles like officers and leaders, tabris

view the FC as more than a chatroom and a pool of players and you set yourself up for disappointment

Pretty much this.

We went through this same drama on Sargatanas a few months ago, with people's ridiculous expectations of a large causal FC. I got so sick of it I basically just stopped bothering to do stuff with the FC once several people made it clear the efforts to schedule some events, keep FC buffs going, handle recruitment, and maintain the website weren't good enough unless I gave personal attention to everyone. I got blasted in FC chat the other day out of nowhere for not ditching my coil static to help someone else practice turn 5.

But why wouldn't we want more than a chatroom and a pool of players?

It's fine to want that. But looking for that in a large FC like the GAF FCs in a game with a content structure like ARR's is looking for it in the wrong place. Like BadRNG just said, the leaders are there "to grease the wheels and keep the machine running. They're management, not tour guides." People whining for tour guides when the tools are given to them to organize their own tours are nothing but a headache.

dramatis

Honestly, people like Elrina and Tirazel (as example) feel more like the leaders I would expect than some of the actual leaders. They either try to arrange things or are always helping random members with different content. If I ever see someone ask for help, I always see "I'll help heal" by Tirazel.
There's only a slight problem, which is that Elrina never talks in FC chat (I've seen him talk once in FC chat the past month), so I don't know what "arranging things" you are speaking of, unless you are speaking of the 'arranging things' Elrina does in his own linkshell. Which is, ironically, a clique within the FC.

Tirazel as far as I know doesn't so much organize events as volunteering to help when help is requested in FC chat. This happens when people have free time, and as people are increasingly only logging in to do Coil and cap myth and then logout, then 'free time' is something that doesn't exist for players who would rather do something else outside of the parts of the game they want to roll through for the week. This applies to the leaders/officers as well.

Ken

Nope, my first was FFXI where I was in a linkshell where we had daily events and the goal of the group was to drive the betterment of the overall group. Help one person out, someone else helps you out, they help someone out. Pay it forward of gaming. Then you are able to tackle on a lot more as an entire community.

how cheesy

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Quit making assumptions
I've never been "handed" gear or carried, I try my best all the f'n time
Also all that huffy/puffy-ness that most of you try to push on me, was due to no one creating times to help others learn, for some of us it's brand new experience and we don't know all the mechanics, the leaders played through 1.0, they could have helped easing us in. When the leaders main concerns are to static with themselves from the get go, not invest a little time into other FC members who have joined and want to learn, you'll get frustrated.
I've never asked to be carried or drop what you are doing and only help me, but when someone has many questions to understand this game and there are people to answer them, why not just answer them or let them know
How come none of the leaders are at fault, yet all this back and forth we are having, all of you remember in great detail at my downfalls, yet the officers are impeccable at being helpful players, which I haven't seen mentioned in the multiple OT threads we had

As for Coil, all I have gotten is random PUG's which became semi-static, which don't last
As I've written last page, I was raid leader for my last group, I was just given the role, then asked to keep the group going, which I did, but sooner or later people give too many issues that even a person like me has a breaking point
You can't constantly be roadblocked of progression, when your trying to move forward, others are just waiting till 2.2 stuff kicks in
Hell I switched from PLD to WAR to help my Coil Group out, just so we get the extra bonus, pumped myth into it, even though I wanted to do BLM next

Also I never said I was always right/innocent in this matter, yes I can be brash, rage o' holic, it's just my nature, that I can get frustrated
You can't just say the things that I have experienced with the leadership in GAF in September 2013, that these problems are still there in March 2014, that shit speaks volume

That's why I brought up all the stuff, I'm not saying all this just cause, I would like the FC to flourish even if I'm not a part of it, but when you read the thread, and you see the same story arcs play out over time, it does become a deja vu status

As Tabris said, why not infuse fresh blood into Officer roles, people who will give a damn, go out of their way and help new people that will be joining you
PS4 release is coming soon, and influx of new players will be joining, will leadership be ready to give a helping hand, or will they talk shit about them on mumble of not knowing stuff
The stuff I know now in March 2014, than I did in August 2013, is a huge margin
There was scarce info at the start, info helped immensely back then, people who knew just a little extra paid dividends for others
Now there is plenty of info that most can just google away and never even have to ask, but sometimes a person might not get an answer for a question the have, then the people that have the title of "Officer" or "Leader" do have a responsibility to help out

Sophia

too much Drama, sounds like PM time

Seriously, don't you guys have a better means of handling this? This thread becomes kind of difficult to participate in for those of us who aren't a part of the GAF guild. :\

On an unrelated note, we're about to assist a legally blind guildmate of ours. Going into Crystal Tower for the first time. This is going to be exciting. >.<;

omlet

Wouldn't expect you to know what that's like. You got yours, don't have time for others :p

I come from XI, too, and I miss aspects of it that you mention that Ken calls cheesy, but it's kind of foolish to try to apply the same mindset to ARR. ARR is not a game where there are a lot of things of consequence to do with varying size groups. ARR is not a game where there is anything to do for large groups. ARR is not a game where reflexes don't matter. ARR is not a game where old content stays relative once you're at "endgame". All these things disincentivize the kind of event structure and community that linkshells in XI had.

That's why I brought up all the stuff, I'm not saying all this just cause, I would like the FC to flourish even if I'm not a part of it, but when you read the thread, and you see the same story arcs play out over time, it does become a deja vu status

What same story arcs though? Its a large FC composed of many different types of players all wearing the same FC tag. There are casual, there are hardcore, etc. and its pretty rare to see people leave. Every once in awhile we get someone popping up saying they are unhappy with the leadership of the FC, and thats fine they are entitled to their opinions, but dont speak as if the FC is burning down or something.

Seriously, don't you guys have a better means of handling this? This thread becomes kind of difficult to participate in for those of us who aren't a part of the GAF guild. :\

On an unrelated note, we're about to assist a legally blind guildmate of ours. Going into Crystal Tower for the first time. This is going to be exciting. >.<;

Yes, PM's but that doesn't work out so well when people just want to air their issues with others when they really should just PM them

Quit making assumptions

Not gonna sit here and respond to your novels paragraph by paragraph because frankly they make little sense and have no clear direction. But I found this interesting. You sit here and attack Maple and Strawberry and toss out these assumptions (that's what they are) yet the first words uttered from your mouth during your rebuttal to someone else:

Quit making assumptions

That's pretty funny.

Stuart444

There's only a slight problem, which is that Elrina never talks in FC chat (I've seen him talk once in FC chat the past month)

He does speak quite a bit in FC chat as well, usually joking about and stuff.

That's pretty nice, though it is Crystal tower which is hellish in its own right lol.

BLCKATK

True fact.

In other news, my FC bought the plot of land for a large house! We're just scrounging the money for the permit and we'll have it!

Teknoman

So being legally blind, can they not see certain colors or is everything just blurry? Actual question.

EDIT: City of Amdpor makes me feel itchy...its worse than looking at Korolokka tunnel...

Aeana

Seriously, don't you guys have a better means of handling this? This thread becomes kind of difficult to participate in for those of us who aren't a part of the GAF guild. :

I do think that anyone who really wants to talk about Ultros FC business should use the FC site to do so. It exists for this reason.

Sophia

So being legally blind, can they not see certain colors or is everything just blurry? Actual question.

EDIT: City of Amdpor makes me feel itchy...its worse than looking at Korolokka tunnel...

They're not colorblind (but I am, hilariously), just legally blind, so everything is blurry for him. They use a magnifying glass to read some text, and people often him through dungeons on Mumble. He's actually one of the better players I've seen, despite being blind. We just finished up pretty easily.

I do think that anyone who really wants to talk about Ultros FC business should use the FC site to do so. It exists for this reason.

Yeah. It makes it difficult to jump into the conversation when it's about the Ultros FC, but anyone can jump in if it's game talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom