• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
So onto better things, what outfits will people be using for vanity when it comes out? I am torn between Acolyte combo or valentine outfit for SMN/WHM.

Sophia

Anyone know if we download the PS4 beta now, we'll have to download the entire final version again?

If you mean the client for the first beta? Yeah, you'll have to delete that and redownload later.

The client for the second beta test won't require a redownload.

Hoplatee

Wow. This game has some really healer unfriendly unit frames. Why can't I just filter out everything that isn't cast/important for Conjurer/White Mage :( I know stuff I can cleanse will always show up on the left but it's still a pain with all those buffs rotation all the time.

Wow. This game has some really healer unfriendly unit frames. Why can't I just filter out everything that isn't cast/important for Conjurer/White Mage :( I know stuff I can cleanse will always show up on the left but it's still a pain with all those buffs rotation all the time.

It was worse before when important things weren't even prioritized to show up as one of the 5 things.

Aeana

I'm pretty sure there's a setting that only shows buffs that you cast.

Well hopefully this does the trick. I have had quite a few 90k errors lately. Server is dead around that time, time to play some DKC.

And it's obvious I really suck at being a SMN but do other Summoners have mp issues in Turn 5? I often find myself running low on mp since I need to sit on stacks of Aetherflow for burst phases. Perhaps I will have to use Energy Drain instead of Fester sometimes.

Wouldn't expect you to know what that's like. You got yours, don't have time for others :p

It is a shame that you missed the initial push of the game since several people in the current leadership got their places there by doing exactly what you have been asking for. Constant runs of anything just to help people out. Turns out that this isn't the kind of game that you can really play like that for too long and after literal hundreds of AK and Primals it is hard to work up the motivation anymore. The content this game has really doesn't lead to that kind of gameplay long term. The only things that can really require a lot of help now is coil and you can't go thought it more then once a week. With the hard mode primals it was very easy to carry even multiple players, while EM Titan gets frustrating even with people who know it fully. People are over and done with the story and aren't running the end 8 mans anymore for fun or tomes.

For some people I'm sure it is a case of "got mines" but I know for me at least it's a case of "everything I could help someone with is so easy and unneeded now that there is no point". The 2 pre primal boss fights are now on duty finder. No one needs guides though the last story missions that don't bitch at them about cut scenes anymore. You can afk in CT and still clear it even if new, unlike taking an AK right down to the final minutes to clear. Course all that doesn't stop me from wiping full timers to Titan EM every week from random people asking.

Zomba13

So onto better things, what outfits will people be using for vanity when it comes out? I am torn between Acolyte combo or valentine outfit for SMN/WHM.

I'm still unsure on how exactly vanity will work. Will it be a system like in Starbound/Terraria where you have an ectual equip slot and next to it the vanity slot, allowing us to mix and match pieces how ever often we like. Like, can I have my Onion helmet on my PLD one minute and then switch it to my Helm of Light like any other piece?

Or will it be like WoW where you have to pay a cost to transmute the appearance of a piece of gear into another one and then lose that piece. Like, My Valour Coronet into my helm of light but then I lose my helm of light and my Valour Coronet always looks like the Helm of Light until I pay a fee to change it again?

Also on the topic of FC stuff (I know people hate that) I know it's kinda hard in this game to get events. There is Coil which everyone has a static for and if you don't you are shit out of luck until it hits DF (which I'm looking forward to. Coil seems like it could be interesting) but other than that there isn't any sort of thing that can be run. There is CT which most do just to get their one piece of the week then leave it and there are dungeons for tome runs which isn't really content to have events for.
There are things like the EX primals or Relics (though most people have their relic by now). I could see weekly EX runs or something to help first timers through while also getting tokens for the weekly primal weps for those that already beat them plus the chance to get accessories and a chance at the mount.

Though I dunno. People probably do that on their own time. I've not really bothered with the harder stuff on my PLD because I don't want to mess up with strangers in duty finder or whatever and it takes forever to queue as a DPS. In FFXI and WoW I always did stuff with the LS/Guild at first until I understood it because it wasn't like they would rage quit on me or kick me out like what happens PUGs.

aceface

They've already announced how vanity will work.

For each piece of vanity gear you want to equip you'll need a vanity crystal. Only crafters can make these crystals.

Once an item is imprinted onto a crystal, it's locked in. You'll need a new crystal for each new piece of vanity gear. I don't think they've said if you lose the piece of gear or not.

You can equip the crystals into the different slots so you can mix and match.

The crystals will go by ilevel so you'll need an ilevel 50 crystal for a piece of ilevel 50 gear and so on.

Zomba13

For each piece of vanity gear you want to equip you'll need a vanity crystal. Only crafters can make these crystals.

Once an item is imprinted onto a crystal, it's locked in. You'll need a new crystal for each new piece of vanity gear. I don't think they've said if you lose the piece of gear or not.

The crystals will go by ilevel so you'll need an ilevel 50 crystal for a piece of ilevel 50 gear and so on.

Ah that's a shame. Means more inventory/armoury space clogged up unless you lose the vanity piece which means I won't use the special stuff like achievement items or CE items.
Good thing I didn't spend my Odin Mantles on stuff yet. Was waiting to see how it'd play out before getting the armour.

Wait, so you basically sacrifice the item into a crystal, and then you can equip said crystals at whim, right?

Isaccard

what the fuck

jiien

Wait, so you basically sacrifice the item into a crystal, and then you can equip said crystals at whim, right?

There was never a mention of anyone losing the original item, and I doubt that will be the case since the event stuff won't be seen again for another year.

In 2.2, I think it's likely they will expand retainer and inventory space.

[No thanks]

Sorian

Banned

How hard is it to program the character screen with an equipment tab and vanity tab, equip stats in the equipment tab, equip looks in the vanity tab, if nothing equipped in vanity tab, use equipment tab item for looks.

Nah, fuck that, gotta add in extra leg work for a basic feature.

The real kicker will be when it's revealed that just like melding, imprinting an item into a crystal will only be able to be done by that particular items crafting class (casters robes will have to be sealed in by Weavers, for example).

I'm okay with it though, anything that gives crafters more relevance sounds good to me.

dramatis

How hard is it to program the character screen with an equipment tab and vanity tab, equip stats in the equipment tab, equip looks in the vanity tab, if nothing equipped in vanity tab, use equipment tab item for looks.

Nah, fuck that, gotta add in extra leg work for a basic feature.
It's not nearly as simple as that. The point of this kind of implementation is to involve the crafters/gatherers and therefore some stimulus to the in-game economy.

Well that sounds more complicated than it should be...

I don't follow this idea. Do these vanity crystals represent a crafted armor type? How exactly do I make my Allagan Helm look like a Hoplite Circlet with this system? I just don't?

jiien

I don't follow this idea. Do these vanity crystals represent a crafted armor type? How exactly do I make my Allagan Helm look like a Hoplite Circlet with this system? I just don't?

I'm guessing that we will have alternate equipment slots, in which only vanity crystals can go, that override the appearance of the armor piece you are wearing. The idea behind the crystals is likely that crafting jobs can actually supply the market with the more popular ones, and people can buy them off the MB without having to own the original, actual piece they want to vanity.

aceface

I'm guessing that we will have alternate equipment slots, in which only vanity crystals can go, that override the appearance of the armor piece you are wearing. The idea behind the crystals is likely that crafting jobs can actually supply the market with the more popular ones, and people can buy them off the MB without having to own the original, actual piece they want to vanity.

No you do have to have the original piece of armor. He specifically said in that interview that only blank crystals can be sold/traded. Once a crystal has been printed with the appearance of a piece of gear it's bound to you and can't be sold or traded.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just picked up a 13" rMBP - anyone have experience dual booting W7 onto one and running FFXIV? Found some impressions, people say you can run it ~30 FPS which will be fine to tide me over til April 14th.

Sure, the first part makes sense. So I wonder about making gear look like non-craft gear? Plenty of people will likely want their gear to look like their AF or CT gears.

No you do have to have the original piece of armor. He specifically said in that interview that only blank crystals can be sold/traded. Once a crystal has been printed with the appearance of a piece of gear it's bound to you and can't be sold or traded.

Ok, now we're talking. I get this system now, seems cool but I wonder how far they'll let us go? Can I make my WAR look like a SCH? :p

Sorian

Banned
It's not nearly as simple as that. The point of this kind of implementation is to involve the crafters/gatherers and therefore some stimulus to the in-game economy.

No, it is as simple as that. This is an expected feature in any MMO and its silly that we even had to wait this long for it. I'm all for keeping crafters involved and stimulating the economy (that SE purposely fucked up themselves) but this isn't the place to play games with it, you can get crafters involved in other ways and a vanity system isn't something that should be tied so closely with them.

BadRNG

If the blank crystals are as cheap as Yoshi is saying they are, this won't be much of a stimulus. And if there is no real economic benefit, then it's just added hassle.

No, it is as simple as that. This is an expected feature in any MMO and its silly that we even had to wait this long for it. I'm all for keeping crafters involved and stimulating the economy (that SE purposely fucked up themselves) but this isn't the place to play games with it, you can get crafters involved in other ways and a vanity system isn't something that should be tied so closely with them.

I really didn't know it was that important, as to not "play games with it" so to speak. I did stop playing WoW right before they added a vanity system to it, and ignored the feature if it was present in the other mmos that I played since so I could just be out of the loop.

Honestly I am not a fan of it anyway and would prefer that everyone look like the gear they have on, instead of having to be unique snowflakes in every situation. Know I will be in the minority in that opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom