• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Well im just glad that they dont have the system from early 1.0 where you could equip anything at any time, but the stats wouldnt be at their true strength till the recommended level.

Made for alot of patchwork equip or just equipment not being used.

Sorian

Banned
If what you said where true the economy would have seen a steady decline over time. However it crashed within a few days of 2.1. That wasn't a coincidence.

I missed this last bit, no if what I said is true then the economy will never make a full recovery unless SE starts injecting gil (which may not even solve the problem depending on how the server reacts).

WolvenOne

Actually I'm curious. Does anyone know if you'll have to pay multiple times to set the Odin body piece to vanity?

It's kinda oddball, in that it covers everything save the head, despite being technically only equipped to the chest.

Might be a really good piece for vanity if you only need the one piece.

Xux

All things considered I personally would still rather see people in the gear they are wearing instead of the gear they prefer the look of. I am a big immersion mmo person though, where I would prefer things to work look and act according the the logic of the gameworld.

I guess another step along the path of my favored genre changing into something that appeals more to others and less to me. Time to learn to cope with loss.
Glamours exist elsewhere in the game world, though; daily quests and levequests have enemies looking and moving by monsters with completely different body sizes and types which makes making one pair of gloves look like another kind of underwhelming. In fact, there's a specific leve in Costa Del Sol that involves Garlean soldiers glamoured as pirates so it's established that clothing glamours exist. This also fits with the whole progression of time and that this technology's only available after the Praetorium's fall and Eorzea's appropriation of it, lol.
You can only make this case for the level 50 gear though. Before then, what is the difference between this level 44 gladiator set and this level 30 [insert whatever armor was used at level 30]. There is no lore or anything attached to any of these, its an arbitrary number. Even in the 50 gear, its contradicting itself CT gear and allagan gear make sense at being strong but whats up with the myth gear, maybe I missed an explanation but its just stronger gear that doesnt have a new gear model, I guess I could assume it is my AF gear enchanted to be stronger? but that's silly since I still have the unenchanted AF gear in my bag.

Now, maybe the numbers shouldn't be arbitrary but they really are in a lot of places in this game world.

Edit: And I'll concede the whole DC debate, I still don't completely agree but I'm not as immersed in comic book culture so I just may not be able to understand.
The difference is the quality of the materials. Darksteel's stronger than cobalt's stronger than mythril etc. All of the crafted stuff is tiered like this.
Fashionista GAF take it to PMs please, the rest of us without an economics degree can't jump in and participate :(
Yeah, this thread is getting weird.

You can only make this case for the level 50 gear though. Before then, what is the difference between this level 44 gladiator set and this level 30 [insert whatever armor was used at level 30]. There is no lore or anything attached to any of these, its an arbitrary number. Even in the 50 gear, its contradicting itself CT gear and allagan gear make sense at being strong but whats up with the myth gear, maybe I missed an explanation but its just stronger gear that doesnt have a new gear model, I guess I could assume it is my AF gear enchanted to be stronger? but that's silly since I still have the unenchanted AF gear in my bag.

Now, maybe the numbers shouldn't be arbitrary but they really are in a lot of places in this game world.

Edit: And I'll concede the whole DC debate, I still don't completely agree but I'm not as immersed in comic book culture so I just may not be able to understand.

Now you are over thinking it. A in gameworld reason for something being as strong or weak as it is doesn't have to be as grandiose as thousand year old advanced civilization gear. The fact that in the world you got that gear from looting some level 35 dragon is enough to give it the purpose behind it's stats. Also the tome traders specifically deal in that powerful gear in a trade for items that we as players can not use for the reasons they find them valuable. Even if that is irrelevant to the discussion. I knew I shouldn't have used the term "story" as it is just as easily misinterpreted as when I try "realism" to describe gamewold realism.

Apoptomon

Got my first Relic:
KF5Hg0G.jpg
I am so casual compared to you guys who go on about Extreme Primals and Coil.

dramatis

When you say shells were crafted, were you talking about SWTOR? Because yeah, some where but you could also get shells as loot drops which means it wasn't only tied to one system in the game and anyone willing to put time in to ANY system could get different shells.
I can't imagine what the crafting system is, other than exactly what you described. In other words, it's entirely possible for you to invest time into crafting to make the crystals that you desire for vanity. The only problem you seem to have is
As for the rest of your post, I'll look on in hopeful optimism but it doesn't seem like a system that'll be worth my time when they could have just gone for a less obtuse system.
The crafters have invested TIME (their resource) into getting the ability to produce, and obviously by 2.2 they can produce the items to dress as they please and can profit off the time investment they made to have the ability to charge you, who spent your time elsewhere.

Why are you complaining about having to pay them? Because you should have the ability to do it for free? The current system encourages interactions between players economically. Either you pay using your own time to invest in getting a crafting class to make the prisms you need, or you pay on the market board. That is how the system benefits the economy.
The DC universe thing is still a double standard to me, people want to look different from each other, idc if you are a superhero or a monk.
It's not a double standard. There are particular connotations to superhero costume that people actually spend hundreds of posts arguing about, if you don't understand why superhero costume in particular is something the devs would pay extra attention to, knowing the source material, then you won't understand unless you make the effort to look it up.

Sorian

Banned
I can't imagine what the crafting system is, other than exactly what you described. In other words, it's entirely possible for you to invest time into crafting to make the crystals that you desire for vanity. The only problem you seem to have is

The point, right there, was specifically that it was fair to put in a type of time sink because you could choose the type of time sink you want, whether that be crafting, gathering, or combat.

Duke Togo

Just wanted to chime in that I'm really enjoying playing this game, even if I am a PS3 peasant at the moment (looking forward to the PS4 version next month).

I also want to express my gratitude for being part of the GAF FC on Ultros. Lots of fun banter and helpful members.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Actually I'm curious. Does anyone know if you'll have to pay multiple times to set the Odin body piece to vanity?

It's kinda oddball, in that it covers everything save the head, despite being technically only equipped to the chest.

Might be a really good piece for vanity if you only need the one piece.

Well Odin Body will count as 1, I mean how are you going to separate it into 4 pieces or prisms/crystals

Most likely, if it says takes up these many slot, those slot most likely will be void from breaking the damn game
Can you imagine wearing Odin body and just for the hell of it equip different hands/legs/feet and break your character lol

Maybe it might require extra binding/crystals, so if you want to equip Odin, you might need to get a higher prism version (hey you never know with SE)

So um... on the topic of vanity gear, but not on the controversial side if it... What types of neat vanity combinations have you all come up with so far? Post screenshots if possible! I am curious!

Teknoman

So um... on the topic of vanity gear, but not on the controversial side if it... What types of neat vanity combinations have you all come up with so far? Post screenshots if possible! I am curious!

Im sure you'll see tank CT gear + warrior of light helm combos. It looks like it would work well...but I dont have the body so I cant say.

Sophia

I'm planning to run the full CT tank gear set for my Paladin + a pair of glasses for cuteness. I like the look of the armor set and I have virtually every piece. Not sure what I'll do for my White Mage yet, but it'll probably involve glasses too simply because they make Lalafells adorable!

Yeah, I think everyone should be fully prepared for the onslaught of megane/meganekko vanity. Though I do wonder if more people will actually use headgear now or if there will still be a lot of folks hiding their hats.

I will use the Acolyte set(minus the ugly boots) for my WHM and SMN. Or the Valentine outfit but most likely the Acolyte set. Will probably use Infantry shirt, Foestriker skirt and other assorted items for my BRD. Actually I might pair the Battlemage robe with the Acolyte skirt for SMN instead.

I really want that dyeable Acolyte robe...=(

Eccocid

yay finally hit level 30 with archer. Archer is so boooooring to play. Only good thing is i am in back row so i die less lol.

Now i joined to Twin Adders and doing their quests. Just beat that spooky manor. I am wondering when i am supposed to unlock Bard? Is it a story related quest or i should look for it?

Ken

yay finally hit level 30 with archer. Archer is so boooooring to play. Only good thing is i am in back row so i die less lol.

Now i joined to Twin Adders and doing their quests. Just beat that spooky manor. I am wondering when i am supposed to unlock Bard? Is it a story related quest or i should look for it?

go to your job guy

Sophia

Yeah, I think everyone should be fully prepared for the onslaught of megane/meganekko vanity. Though I do wonder if more people will actually use headgear now or if there will still be a lot of folks hiding their hats.

Most of the head gear for tanks I've found is either ugly or part of a combination piece. Especially Paladin-exclusive pieces. A tiara on my Lalafell just looks silly. >_>

Coil irritates me lol. ugh another week another no allagan bow. was kind of excited that a brd piece dropped...but it was the belt. the fucking belt. fml lol

Oh well at least I'm up next for the next smn book that drops

Eccocid

One more question;
Do i have to unlock BRD and continue to play with it? Do people use classes in end game or everyone is using a Job?

I checked BRD skills and doesn't look very fun. It turns you in to a supportive class. I wanna be a pure ranged DD. And if i stick to Acher i can use skills from other classes right?
Can i make a level 50 archer with skills from other classes to improve my damage?

Ken

One more question;
Do i have to unlock BRD and continue to play with it? Do people use classes in end game or everyone is using a Job?

I checked BRD skills and doesn't look very fun. It turns you in to a supportive class. I wanna be a pure ranged DD. And if i stick to Acher i can use skills from other classes right?
Can i make a level 50 archer with skills from other classes to improve my damage?

1. if you want to best fulfill the role your class/job is (DPS dpsing, tanks tanking, etc.) you have to equip your soul crystal and become that job simply because of the attribute points boost it gives you (20 DEX from the Soul of the Bard alone). jobs are pretty well-tuned so if you play the bard well, you'll be doing the damage that's required of you and there's really no need to try to circumvent the system to "improve your damage." going into fights as an archer rather than a bard is really just handicapping yourself in numbers and utility.

2. there's really not that much extra damage boosting skills you can get as an archer that you can't get as a bard (internal release, blood for blood)

3. re-iterating #2, equipping bard gives you BRD skills at the cost of 5 (extra) cross class abilities but what you can possibly gain from the latter doesn't outweigh what you gain from the former. yes, they aren't very fun or exciting, and that's just the unfortunate consequenece of how the bard job was set up, but they are invaluable to raids and parties.

4. just go bard. people won't take you into end game stuff if you're an archer because its usually the bard's songs people are after, so to answer your question yes, everyone stays on their job. if you want a pure damage/high DPS class, you go with one of the other DPS jobs (MNK/SMN/DRG/BLM).

AH. almost forgot. bards get all archer skills even past 30 so hopefully that clears up any confusion?

Sophia

Or to sum up what Ken was saying in a much simpler manner: There is absolutely no reason to not use your job in PvE currently. :p

Coil irritates me lol. ugh another week another no allagan bow. was kind of excited that a brd piece dropped...but it was the belt. the fucking belt. fml lol

Oh well at least I'm up next for the next smn book that drops

Welcome to my pain.

Learn to not care. Random loot from bosses can become a drain if you have hope and the only reason you are doing it is for them. Value the time you are spending with the people you raid with as well as getting to see content that most of the games population will not. Also always remember that it can be worse if you are only doing it for loot. Never saw a bunch of weapons though vanilla WoW for instance, and if they did drop there was a lot more competition.

Sophia

I'm still not really sure why they went out of their way to have such an extensive dye system only for it to be unusable on the pieces of gear that matter.

But there's a lot of little things like that in this game. Some of them holdovers from legacy.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm still not really sure why they went out of their way to have such an extensive dye system only for it to be unusable on the pieces of gear that matter.

But there's a lot of little things like that in this game. Some of them holdovers from legacy.

Crafting armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom