• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

FFXI Lamia, mecha-things that obviously reuse the animations for treants and ochu...That bear looks legit; I remember a topic on the Lodestone requesting bears in Eorzea.

I wouldn't mind that Goobue as a mount. Should let us trade the 1.0 Goobue mount for one, lol.

Meciu

I went into Brayflox as marauder by mistake. We couldn't even beat the first few mobs. He might be being a dick about it, but you really do need defiance post 30.

I did Cutter's as MRD when i forgot to equip the soul once and we one shoted it. Sure, it was a bit tougher but if you know what to do, its easly doable.

Sophia

Is playing solo without a job crystal on that much more effective?

Not really. The benefits you get from having a job (specialized stats and abilities) out-perform whatever you might get from cross-class abilities. And anything you WOULD want is usable in a job too.

Xux

Producer Letter 55:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...roducer-LV-(03-13-2014)?p=1943208#post1943208

2.2 March 27th.

That said, glamours can be used as follows:

They can be used on all gear the same or lower equipment level than your current gear.
After using a glamour prism, the gear being copied can be entrusted to your retainer.
As long as the base gear and the gear being copied occupy the same number of gear slots, you can copy the appearance of any gear equippable by your current class or job.
It may seem a little tricky at first, but it's actually quite simple once you get the hang of it. You can even copy the appearance of gear that's been dyed. With this update, players will finally be free to follow the various fashion trends of Eorzea.

Other features coming in patch 2.2 include master recipe books for crafters, gardening for free company estates, new hair styles, retainer ventures, big fishing, a challenge log, new mounts, and more. Disciples of War and Magic may also want to dust off their relic weapons if they aren't still using them, as an opportunity to unlock their true powers will present itself.

We also have a trailer for patch 2.2 in the works, courtesy of Assistant Director Takai, and it should be ready fairly soon. I can't promise that we'll show you everything, but we're sure you'll enjoy it all the same.

edgefusion

Is there a problem with low-level tanking? I've been levelling up Gladiator on and off for a while and find that it can be a bit of a hardship, possibly even off-putting to new players. My experience has been that if you're at the lowest level, or one above the lowest, for a particular dungeon it's hard or even impossible to keep aggro from level-synced DPS. I just exited a Toto-rak run as a level 24 GLD, very well geared and knowing exactly what to do to maintain aggro (thanks to advice from FC friends and having already levelled Warrior), but found it a struggle to keep above the level-synced Lancers aggro. As soon as we got to a boss he popped his cooldowns and it was game over, aggro switched to him and nothing I could do could bring the boss back until his buffs had run out. This has generally been how I've found tanking these low-level dungeons, it's a nightmare until you're level-synced or close to it because the DPS just generate way more aggro than you.

I can easily imagine a scenario where a new tank tries out a dungeon, perhaps doesn't know or doesn't have access to the best gear and is still figuring out the best ways to maintain aggro, and is grouped with a bunch of level-synced DPS who pop all their cooldowns and continually rip aggro. Even if they don't hurl abuse at the tank it's still going to be disheartening and possibly make them consider rolling a different class. There's a huge lack of tanks across all levels and I do wonder if this is part of the reason why.

Mr. RHC

u08oaog.jpg

Stuff of nightmares.

Says he'll be enemy in the new Ampador dungeon.

Damn, that's really creepy uh!

Xux

Is there a problem with low-level tanking? I've been levelling up Gladiator on and off for a while and find that it can be a bit of a hardship, possibly even off-putting to new players. My experience has been that if you're at the lowest level, or one above the lowest, for a particular dungeon it's hard or even impossible to keep aggro from level-synced DPS. I just exited a Toto-rak run as a level 24 GLD, very well geared and knowing exactly what to do to maintain aggro (thanks to advice from FC friends and having already levelled Warrior), but found it a struggle to keep above the level-synced Lancers aggro. As soon as we got to a boss he popped his cooldowns and it was game over, aggro switched to him and nothing I could do could bring the boss back until his buffs had run out. This has generally been how I've found tanking these low-level dungeons, it's a nightmare until you're level-synced or close to it because the DPS just generate way more aggro than you.

I can easily imagine a scenario where a new tank tries out a dungeon, perhaps doesn't know or doesn't have access to the best gear and is still figuring out the best ways to maintain aggro, and is grouped with a bunch of level-synced DPS who pop all their cooldowns and continually rip aggro. Even if they don't hurl abuse at the tank it's still going to be disheartening and possibly make them consider rolling a different class. There's a huge lack of tanks across all levels and I do wonder if this is part of the reason why.
Yeah, it can be rough. I had a similar experience in Haukke as a 29 MRD with a 31 DRG. What rotation are you usually using?

aceface

Yeah it is tough. I tried Satasha as a Gladiator once and continually lost aggro the whole time. Very frustrating. I haven't tried tanking since then.

From that live letter, seems like YoshiP is also a victim of coil RNG. "A coliseum shawl? She can't be serious...can she?"

Alex

Gil spam has been through the roof the last day or so, for my server at least. It's like... tripled in frequency and blacklisting hasn't been helping much. I wish they'd start being more aggressive with battling this nonsense. Better account security and anti spam restrictions against sending random messages and constantly pulling searches would be a start.

Also would be great to have a WoW-esque reporting system so I don't have to fill up my blacklist with these things to make them shut up.

As long as the base gear and the gear being copied occupy the same number of gear slots, you can copy the appearance of any gear equippable by your current class or job.

Haha, no escape from terrible body/head piece gear. I did everything in my power to side step that stuff on my Paladin.

Zomba13

OH SHIT A BEAR!

So... No Odin body as vanity then unless you're using it over something else that takes up every slot below the head.

GG SE. Making vanity armour that can't be used for vanity...

Xux

They should add a level one PGL arm without a graphic so you look like you're fighting bare-handed and can glamour it
OVER THESE DUMBASS LOOKING PIRATE HOOKS.

My experience has been that if you're at the lowest level, or one above the lowest, for a particular dungeon it's hard or even impossible to keep aggro from level-synced DPS.
Level-synced gear is equivalent to whites, so it's actually worse than the pinks and greens you find at the dungeon. What usually happens is the tank doesn't have a full set of the dungeon's iLv while the synced people have a full white set and that brings a bit of aggro issues.

Uhe problem usually lies in the DPS and healers that attack too fast or the wrong target. The other thing is that the first dungeons barely need a tank, so the DPS are not afraid of pulling because they won't die anyway. When I was practicing tanking in Sastasha, I had to ask the DPSes to let me tank before hand and most of the time they agree.

So basically you just copy and paste an item's appearance over another? And you get to do as many times as you want as long as you have prisms?

Nice that you can store items after you copy them.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Gil spam has been through the roof the last day or so, for my server at least. It's like... tripled in frequency and blacklisting hasn't been helping much. I wish they'd start being more aggressive with battling this nonsense. Better account security and anti spam restrictions against sending random messages and constantly pulling searches would be a start.

Also would be great to have a WoW-esque reporting system so I don't have to fill up my blacklist with these things to make them shut up.

The crazy thing is they double & triple spam

On many occasions you will receive 2 tells back to back within a second or two, most of the time the names have 1 different letter and sometime the whole day in relentless if you are crafting or zoning into different places

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Seeing all those calls for a SCH in the GAF FC last night made me sad - I'm so far from relevancy!

Speaking of which, I'd like some advice: I'm planning to level my ACN to 20 so I can unlock a chocobo and then switching to CNJ for the eventual SCH cross class skills & the ability to do early dungeons as a healer instead of dps. Any flaws in this? Any thoughts on a better path to building my SCH?

I'm also dumping all my points into Mind, fyi.

It's better to just do the main quest as ACN IMO.

You'll have to deal with 30 levels as a shitty DPS either way, might as well do it in one go.

It reminds me of Salvage from XI... I hope, for the sake of old wounds, I don't need to explain in much detail why that is a very bad thing

I don't know why that's bad. Please explain so that I can vicariously experience your suffering. All I remember about FFXI is spending my life in Valkurm Dunes. On Xbox.
:(

Seeing all those calls for a SCH in the GAF FC last night made me sad - I'm so far from relevancy!

Speaking of which, I'd like some advice: I'm planning to level my ACN to 20 so I can unlock a chocobo and then switching to CNJ for the eventual SCH cross class skills & the ability to do early dungeons as a healer instead of dps. Any flaws in this? Any thoughts on a better path to building my SCH?

That's a good idea - it's exactly what I did. CNJ to SS, ACN to 30, SCH 31-50, THM to SC. Healing in dungeons as CNJ gives a pretty good crash course on healing basics and queue times are short too, which is nice.

When you start doing SCH healing, it'll feel like autopilot with Eos for a few instances but eventually you'll want to Obey sets with Embrace macro'd in and Rouse+WD.

aceface

I'm SCH and I raised CNJ to 30 before I raised ACN to 30. Mainly this is because I wanted the unicorn mount but it did help to do CNJ to get the feel for healing in those early dungeons.

Wilsongt

2 more coil lock-outs it is then.

Two weeks to learn T4... and two weeks to have a fancy piece of Allagan gear before everyone and their mother gets some and everyone starts drooling over iLv100 stuff.

Edit: Also, a first of me today. I actually got Cutter's Cry in the low level roulette on my WHM. I was pretty shocked. I'm used to getting Tam Tara.

omlet

I don't know why that's bad. Please explain so that I can vicariously experience your suffering. All I remember about FFXI is spending my life in Valkurm Dunes. On Xbox.
:(

Well, the short version is that Salvage was a level 75 event that had terrible drop rates that I spent dozens, maybe hundreds, of hours over several months doing (with a static, mind you, so it wasn't like I was getting screwed out of gear by randoms) and had absolutely nothing to show for it. It also required absurd amounts of legwork to even be able to do.

Longer version: Bees. Ugh. That room broke me. Wasting hours being bored out of my mind in bee room in Salvage looking for that <1% pop rate
completely serious
NM with a <1% drop rate
less serious, but we still never saw the drop
was the last straw.

For those unfamiliar with Salvage, this particular room was a room of 3 portals from which really weak bees would spawn in rapid succession. They were weak and died easily and dropped nothing, meaning they were very boring to fight. Each spawn there was a tiny chance that it wouldn't be a normal weak bee, but rare spawn bee. This rare spawn then had a tiny chance to drop one piece of low level gear that you needed to combine with 2 other drops from other places in Salvage to actually make the level 75 good piece.

tldr: Of course, ARR's content design is nothing like Salvage from XI, so it's not like I'm worried about that. The reason I say those screenshots remind me of Salvage is that in Salvage you
went in naked and unable to use any gear or skills and
punched the crap out of lamia
onee-chans
that looked like that medusa-thing in the pic, surrounded by architecture that was reminiscent of the preview picture.

In fact, here, have screenshots from 2010:
Lamia
f9SnwIt.jpg

That Fucking Bee
effi6ua.jpg

Anyway, this is ARR thread so I'll stop here. Thanks for picking at old scabs :(

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That's a good idea - it's exactly what I did. CNJ to SS, ACN to 30, SCH 31-50, THM to SC. Healing in dungeons as CNJ gives a pretty good crash course on healing basics and queue times are short too, which is nice.

When you start doing SCH healing, it'll feel like autopilot with Eos for a few instances but eventually you'll want to Obey sets with Embrace macro'd in and Rouse+WD.

I'm SCH and I raised CNJ to 30 before I raised ACN to 30. Mainly this is because I wanted the unicorn mount but it did help to do CNJ to get the feel for healing in those early dungeons.

Thanks, I played CNJ to lvl 20 in the PS4 beta and healing was just way more fun than DPS. Just gotta keep on keepin on....

Wilsongt

Well, the short version is that Salvage was a level 75 event that had terrible drop rates that I spent dozens, maybe hundreds, of hours over several months doing (with a static, mind you, so it wasn't like I was getting screwed out of gear by randoms) and had absolutely nothing to show for it. It also required absurd amounts of legwork to even be able to do.

Longer version: Bees. Ugh. That room broke me. Wasting hours being bored out of my mind in bee room in Salvage looking for that <1% pop rate
completely serious
NM with a <1% drop rate
less serious, but we still never saw the drop
was the last straw.

For those unfamiliar with Salvage, this particular room was a room of 3 portals from which really weak bees would spawn in rapid succession. They were weak and died easily and dropped nothing, meaning they were very boring to fight. Each spawn there was a tiny chance that it wouldn't be a normal weak bee, but rare spawn bee. This rare spawn then had a tiny chance to drop one piece of low level gear that you needed to combine with 2 other drops from other places in Salvage to actually make the level 75 good piece.

tldr: Of course, ARR's content design is nothing like Salvage from XI, so it's not like I'm worried about that. The reason I say those screenshots remind me of Salvage is that in Salvage you
went in naked and unable to use any gear or skills and
punched the crap out of lamia
onee-chans
that looked like that medusa-thing in the pic, surrounded by architecture that was reminiscent of the preview picture.

In fact, here, have screenshots from 2010:

Anyway, this is ARR thread so I'll stop here. Thanks for picking at old scabs :(

...Ain't nobody got time for that.

Wilsongt

I need to get my SCH book, but I need a carry through Titan HM since I've only done it once and I was face down teh entire time, lol

Stuart444

Two weeks to learn T4... and two weeks to have a fancy piece of Allagan gear before everyone and their mother gets some and everyone starts drooling over iLv100 stuff

You say that like everyone will be able to beat T5 hahaha.

I fully expect complaining about how difficult T5 (and maybe even T4) are on the official forums hours after the 2.2 update. "I thought echo buff would mean we could all beat it" or something like that lol.

Wilsongt

I fully expect complaining about how difficult T5 (and maybe even T4) are on the official forums hours after the 2.2 update. "I thought echo buff would mean we could all beat it" or something like that lol.

People need yo learn that some of this syuff takes a little practice...

Tabris

Nah they won't. As the Echo buff keeps on getting stronger with each week they said. So they'll keep waiting until they can survive things like dive bombs without having to dodge.

omlet

Nah they won't. As the Echo buff keeps on getting stronger with each week they said. So they'll keep waiting until they can survive things like dive bombs without having to dodge.

Echo won't help that (completely). If you get knocked into the "wall" by divebomb it's instakill even if you survive the divebomb hit. Twisters also instakill.

Tabris

Echo won't help that (completely). If you get knocked into the "wall" by divebomb it's instakill even if you survive the divebomb hit. Twisters also instakill.

Do they actually instakill, or do they do something like 9999 damage? I mean an i90 WAR can survive meteor by KB or Ancient Flare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom