• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunan

And I still argue that Gaius was right.

A wonderful summary; I agree with quite a bit of it.

I'm going to drop out of this discussion for now, though, as I don't want the details of the endgame to be spoiled. Looking forward to joining in these kinds of threads once I finish!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Gaius was a fool. He could have stopped Nael from casting Meteor himself but chose not to. By the time Nael was defeated, it was cast and events were set in motion. Bahamut was coming anyway.

Gaius was also manipulated on top of all that by the Ascians and tricked into believing he was a) in control and b) had a trump card. He had neither.

In the end, the Garlands are just jealous Eorzeans can cast magic and they can't. So, if they can't cast it, no one can! All there is to it. =)

Ken

from reddit

Notes are up in Japanese. I'll do my best quick pass.
The GC quest that had you run AK now has you run Aurum Vale instead, and is level 47.
Airship and boat prices have been lowered.
Mining and Botany leve XP has been raised.
Increased instances for AK and WP
Increased Philo tome rate for AK and WP.
Increased Myth tome rate for WP, Garuda HM, and Titan HM
Changed monster arrangements and gimmicks in WP and CM.
Added more spawns for Karakuls (Dragonhead, Whitebrim, and some place I'm not sure of the English name)
Decreased respawn time of Banemites
Increased BTN/MIN xp gain from level 16 and up.
Adjusted location of level 30 points for BTN in central shroud.
Moved buffs/debuffs that you cast to the extreme left in the list
Limited the number of characters you can create per day (anti-RMT measure, it says)
And then a shitload of minor fixes I'm too tired to translate for now...

Increased Myth tome rate for Titan HM

ty square

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/71709?p=1357527#post1357527

adixon

Eorzea is a place where humanoids are locked in eternal civil war with beastmen who summon Primals that kill wantonly and without mercy. The governments of all three city states are all equally flawed, one was founded by lawless pirates, the second lives in eternal terror of elementals who dictate who lives or dies, and the third is basically Midgar ruled by a corrupt alliance of a hereditary monarchy and plutocrats. Oh, and we haven't even touched on the religious zealotry of the fourth city-state, Ishgard, ruled with absolute authority by a Pope who sends out Inquisitors to declare death in judgment from arbitrary witch-hunts.

All Gaius wanted to do was bring peace, stability, and order to a realm which was locked in eternal internecine warfare, worshipping false Gods, and on the brink of being destroyed by the Primals, the summoned false Gods of beastmen. If he used Ultima Weapon to destroy the primals and scatter the beast tribes, imposed a single uniform government and abolished the useless city-states, and ended the feuding of the various factions, the people of Eorzea would have benefited greatly.

Instead, Gaius is gone. The beastmen are summoning even more powerful and dangerous forms of the Primals. Bahamut is awakening from 5 years of slumber and Ultima Weapon, which could have been used to defeat him, is no more. The people of Eorzea still live in fear that their end could come at any moment, on the end of a beastman's spear, crushed under the fury of a Primal, or annihilated by Bahamut himself. Gaius would have stopped all this, and saved Eorzea.

/tear
/imperialsalute

Hmm...

Except of course that Gaius was gutted by a ragtag band of pugs* who were looking for 100 tomes of philosophy, which by his own argument proves that he doesn't belong anywhere near a position of power in Eorzea.

A good villian usually isn't stupid -- Gaius makes logical arguments, but you have to completely ignore some big externalities to believe he would bring greater happiness to the civilizations he subjugates. There are several references in the story to the sad state of countries which have been subjugated by the empire, and the way conquered populations are conscripted in large numbers to serve in the empire's military. Plus, while Gaius' words are coherent, his desire is clearly more driven by ambition and achievement than by bringing about the greatest possible good, otherwise he would never have been so easily turned into the Ascians' little plaything and killed who knows how many of his own soldiers. No plan B to counter the Ascians, who aren't exactly the most trustworthy seeming dudes, in order to protect everything he'd built up until that point? That's not someone who builds other people up, that's just recklessness.

*yes, I know that technically using pug this way doesn't make sense. Thought it sounded good though.

Tash

Also something small from the dev tracker:

Greetings,

Not being able to heal players during the raise animation is working as intended. However, in patch 2.1 we will be making adjustments so that after you are raised you will not receive damage from attacks for a certain amount of time.

Uthred

Some nice changes but I imagine AK 8 times is still the best way to cap myth (and the extra philosophy are a nice bonus). Hopefully Garuda HM is worth 10+ so you can do 7 AK and 1 or 2 Garuda HM.

Gaius was a fool. He could have stopped Nael from casting Meteor himself but chose not to. By the time Nael was defeated, it was cast and events were set in motion. Bahamut was coming anyway.

Gaius was also manipulated on top of all that by the Ascians and tricked into believing he was a) in control and b) had a trump card. He had neither.

In the end, the Garlands are just jealous Eorzeans can cast magic and they can't. So, if they can't cast it, no one can! All there is to it. =)

I agree with this. Gaius believed he was in control of events but in reality he was being manipulated by forces more sinister than he could imagine. He was undone by his flaws, and so could not achieve his idealistic goals. At the end all he could have was regret for what he had failed to do. I regard Gaius as a tragic figure, he does both good and evil things for an ideal which is in and of itself fundamentally good. Some of his methods are unpleasant but that goes for all famous conquerors or would-be conquerors such as Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, and Genghis Khan.

The Garleans can use magic, I'm not sure why you think they can't. They can't use The Echo however, possibly because of the Third Eye they are all born with that Cid briefly shows off.

Mandoric

Banned
I don't mean to start a big old brouhaha here, but this sentence makes perfect sense if the writer has Ainu or Okinawan roots, but makes none at all if he's of the Yamato majority.

IMO it works either way; the Yamato did it to the various minorities of Japan and were in turn afraid of having it done to them by the British.

Which makes it a solid metaphor for where the Eorzeans are coming from when they think they're "pacifying" the various "beastmen" but "nobly resisting" the Empire.

(The narrative theme also works for American players with their own history as a colonized-colonizer)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The Garleans can use magic, I'm not sure why you think they can't. They can't use The Echo however, possibly because of the Third Eye they are all born with that Cid briefly shows off.

Native Garlean's have never had the talent. So, they turned to technology. Hence, Magitek. Magic users are probably those who were enlisted from other lands they took over.

Native Garlean's have never had the talent. So, they turned to technology. Hence, Magitek. Magic users are probably those who were enlisted from other lands they took over.

Interesting, I didn't know that. So it's like Bevelle vs. Zanarkand in the historical war before the events of FFX in that sense.

Zomba13

Also something small from the dev tracker:

Good. So many times I've been raised and during the raise animation a mob puts out an AoE that hits me. You need to be psychic sometimes to get up in a battle. Everything is clear when you accept the raise and then BOOM, down again by the time you get up.

Amon-Lau

Good. So many times I've been raised and during the raise animation a mob puts out an AoE that hits me. You need to be psychic sometimes to get up in a battle. Everything is clear when you accept the raise and then BOOM, down again by the time you get up.

This, so many wasted raises because of this... D:

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

You have like a 5 sec window during Titan HM

Holy Shit have I seen people accept raise at the wrong time

You know you've had a bad day, when you are going through raise animation and Titan puts Landslide right over you lol
Dat Insta-Defeat

Eorzea is a place where humanoids are locked in eternal civil war with beastmen who summon Primals that kill wantonly and without mercy. The governments of all three city states are all equally flawed, one was founded by lawless pirates, the second lives in eternal terror of elementals who dictate who lives or dies, and the third is basically Midgar ruled by a corrupt alliance of a hereditary monarchy and plutocrats. Oh, and we haven't even touched on the religious zealotry of the fourth city-state, Ishgard, ruled with absolute authority by a Pope who sends out Inquisitors to declare death in judgment from arbitrary witch-hunts.

All Gaius wanted to do was bring peace, stability, and order to a realm which was locked in eternal internecine warfare, worshipping false Gods, and on the brink of being destroyed by the Primals, the summoned false Gods of beastmen. If he used Ultima Weapon to destroy the primals and scatter the beast tribes, imposed a single uniform government and abolished the useless city-states, and ended the feuding of the various factions, the people of Eorzea would have benefited greatly.

Instead, Gaius is gone. The beastmen are summoning even more powerful and dangerous forms of the Primals. Bahamut is awakening from 5 years of slumber and Ultima Weapon, which could have been used to defeat him, is no more. The people of Eorzea still live in fear that their end could come at any moment, on the end of a beastman's spear, crushed under the fury of a Primal, or annihilated by Bahamut himself. Gaius would have stopped all this, and saved Eorzea.

/tear
/imperialsalute

Correct my if I am wrong, but weren't the Primals "unlocked" after the first invasion attempt when the massive attack ship crashed into Mor Dhona? Not that I disagree that Gaius was right, but concerns about the primals were not originally in their grand plan, and they just wanted to take over more land.

This may also be a dropped plot point from 1.0, but also aren't the primals not natively bad, but the garlean's were brainwashing people into believing that since they fear their power? Same reason why the Emperor was willing to just drop a moon on that area and be done with it. Like Gaius mentioned, the twelve may just be "primals" of the playable races. Another plot point that may have been dropped that just came up at the end of the path companion's storyline.

But yeah, I agree with Gaius's words, even if I know the implications of imperial rule. The current leaders and way of rule along the city states is just as bad or worse. The players don't really see it like that since we don't really exist as citizens and have an elevated status.

You know you've had a bad day, when you are going through raise animation and Titan puts Landslide right over you lol
Dat Insta-Defeat

Sounds like easy material for a trollface comic.

yaffi

Mechanics and enemy positioning have been adjusted in the following duties:

Castrum Meridianum

Heh, I wonder if it will no longer be possible to skip all those mobs or bomb away everything with the cannons.

adixon

Dat Insta-Defeat

Yeah, there really isn't that much safe time to raise during titan's last phase. Maybe during the gaol is best, but you have to make sure you're not going to get caught in the landslide. Which I learned the hard way by using healer limit break 3 while only the tank and I remained standing... and the entire party got knocked off the arena. Was good comedy, at least.

Daeva

Banned
Anybody else get bored with this game. I love it I do. Play with supersampling and all plus it beautiful but........ damn man after 40 or so I can rarely pick it up anymore. And grinding dungeons group or no group is no fun to me. Strategy is severely lacking in this game if you ask me.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't think anybody cares about the difficulty of story dungeons and post-story dungeons you are farming for gear. The current endgame raid is untouched.

I guess you're right. I was mainly thinking about MIN/BTN.
But still, yeah. Why should level those two be so grindy?
It's good that it's better now.

Maintenance extended another hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom