• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to switch back to Ultros? Just..doesnt seem right on another server lol

As long as you didn't transfer to a Legacy server, I don't see why not. You might have to keep checking for when character creation is open though. Ultros doesn't seem to appear as an option when character creation is locked.

Cmagus

Glad to see they are giving out the pumpkin heads again. They said that they weren't gonna be giving them out again in 1.0 but seems like they changed their mind it gives me hope that I can get the reindeer costume this year.

Lily

As long as you didn't transfer to a Legacy server, I don't see why not. You might have to keep checking for when character creation is open though. Ultros doesn't seem to appear as an option when character creation is locked.

All sorted, transferred back to Ultros. That was pretty easy :)

BLCKATK

Holy jesus healing Titan is hard. My FC has been busy and since Turn 5 is down I've had nothing to do so I've been going for SCH relic. Man when people die before Phase 5 it makes me sad as hell. And when the other healer dies I just get so stressed and can barely keep the tank up trying to manage Lusterates. Maybe I should just wait till my FC can help me out.

falastini

I have both at 50 and have them both decked pretty well.
To be honest tanking is tanking, doesn't take a genius to hold stacks longer, nor does it take a relative amount of skill to use PLD CD's efficiently. People say one is harder than the other, but really neither of them are that bad.

Warrior seems like it requires more work to play well. This is all subjective, because I don't have a 50 PLD, but I'm aware of their skills. I might be wrong about something, but it seems to me...

For single target mobs...
WAR cycles between 2 combos
PLD uses the same 1 combo

For multi mobs...
WAR has mp for ~4 flashes, limited number of Overpower... requires TP and is a directional cone (easy to miss mobs if you don't have them stacked in front of you)
PLD has Circle of Scorn and an unlimited number of flashes (thanks to riot blade), that are both multi-directional

Defensive CDs..
WAR has to combine his crap CDs to get a decent results... has to manage wrath stacks and has to react to damage with Inner Beast
PLD has simple, effective 1 button CDs

All this WAR talk reminded me of a pic I took with Rock the other day
bnokb9n.jpg

Torquill

The solution to Warrior issues is obvious. Give them a Pegasus mount (but it loses a wing in the quest story so it can't fly :p)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Warrior seems like it requires more work to play well. This is all subjective, because I don't have a 50 PLD, but I'm aware of their skills. I might be wrong about something, but it seems to me...

For single target mobs...
WAR cycles between 2 combos
PLD uses the same 1 combo

For multi mobs...
WAR has mp for ~4 flashes, limited number of Overpower... requires TP and is a directional cone (easy to miss mobs if you don't have them stacked in front of you)
PLD has Circle of Scorn and an unlimited number of flashes (thanks to riot blade), that are both multi-directional

Defensive CDs..
WAR has to combine his crap CDs to get a decent results... has to manage wrath stacks and has to react to damage with Inner Beast
PLD has simple, effective 1 button CDs

All this WAR talk reminded me of a pic I took with Rock the other day

It does take more work to play WAR, but that is why I like it more than PLD for my second class.

For multi mobs...

Circle of Scorn has shitty enmity generation and spamming Flash is far from ideal. At level 50 is way more effective to spread out your Halone combo and keep watching enmity bars to administrate your combo.

I'm still MRD 27-28, but is easier in that class that it was on PLD. Throw a Flash use a couple of overpwoers and enemies are for you for the rest of the fight.

Ultrabum

Circle of Scorn has shitty enmity generation and spamming Flash is far from ideal. At level 50 is way more effective to spread out your Halone combo and keep watching enmity bars to administrate your combo.

I'm still MRD 27-28, but is easier in that class that it was on PLD. Throw a Flash use a couple of overpwoers and enemies are for you for the rest of the fight.

I don't think anyone thinks war is bad for non-endgame content.

War has problems starting at endgame content, as exemplified by Titan HM.

Victrix

*beard*
If you're having issues with your War tanks in AK runs, I'm sorry, but they're shitty.

I've run it with SCH, I've run it with WHM, there's no downtime, and the healer is always free to dps (in fact, I get annoyed with healers who only heal and never dps because it slows down the run).

If the healer is good enough, I actually prefer to aoe the dungeon, because Wars can throw out completely nuts aoe threat between overpower and steel cyclone (good litmus test - is your warrior using steel cyclone on multi target pulls and blowing his offensive cooldowns constantly yes/no? if no, your run is taking longer than it needs to).

War defensive cooldowns are inferior to Plds, but their self healing with inner beast, infuriate, thrill of battle, second wind, and bloodbath is significant for any dungeon. I've killed bosses with a dead healer.

(Storm's Path is utter garbage, but that's a separate issue :()

The thing about having spike damage with cooldowns is that it works really well for dungeons, because of the delay between pulls (on slower groups anyway, assuming you're not just mass pulling and aoeing), your cooldowns are always at least partially refreshed for each pack. This means you get to use that spike dps on fights that only last a short time - Plds have roughly equivalent dps over time, but thats more meaningful for lengthy single target boss fights than it is for dungeon trash, where you want them dead as fast as possible.

atmusfear

Special shoutouts to Mary Benedictus(dont know what youre name is on here) for the Prae run. Its not every day you find a GAF member on random instance. The only unfortunate thing about it is that the other tank got rewarded tomes >_>

falastini

Flash/Scorn seems enough for everything outside of T4 Coil. Look at the WP speedruns with all the AoE. They hold hate just fine. They can run it faster than WARs too thanks to being able to mitigate dmg and allowing healers to dps.

The solution to Warrior issues is obvious. Give them a Pegasus mount (but it loses a wing in the quest story so it can't fly :p)
I'd rather get a giant boar or something.

studyguy

Flash/Scorn seems enough for everything outside of T4 Coil. Look at the WP speedruns with all the AoE. They hold hate just fine. They can run it faster than WARs too thanks to being able to mitigate dmg and allowing healers to dps.

Aside from that, popping a FoF + a str pot right before a scorn makes a marked improvement, but still I personally use Scorn as a way to fight against other DoT before I come back to the mob in question with a standard combo. In an average fight, flash/Scorn seems to do fine. The bigger issue is PLD have a marked problem in places like T4 with groups. Instead of overpowering the fuck out of everything and getting them all in one shot, you have to keep your enmity meters in check since you're better off going with a halone combo where it needs it the most.

Speedruns like WP and AK are another monster all together though, mitigation is indeed key.

God damnit I double posted instead of hitting edit.
Oops.

DrDogg

I only have a 32 PLD and a 25 MRD, but I don't like the tanking mechanics in this game at the moment. I feel like tanking in FFXI I had all the tools I needed, I just had to be smart enough to use them wisely. In FFXIV, I just feel like I spam the same combo over and over, tossing in a few extras here and there. I also feel like the DDs have way better options to fight for the hate, while I'm left hoping my one combo is enough to keep the mobs at bay.

I don't lose hate often, but I definitely don't enjoy tanking nearly as much as I enjoyed playing PLD in FFXI (pre-endgame). I'll eventually get PLD to 50 and at least get my WAR unlocked, but at the moment I don't have fun tanking in this game.

dark_chris

Special shoutouts to Mary Benedictus(dont know what youre name is on here) for the Prae run. Its not every day you find a GAF member on random instance. The only unfortunate thing about it is that the other tank got rewarded tomes >_>

That'll be me, kind sir. I find it funny you were randomly like, "Hey, aren't you on Neogaf?" lol.
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2335766/

That run was fun and it was always funny leaving the tank dead on the floor during battle.
Im hoping to GOD ALMIGHTY that SE puts a kick function in instances so we can kick trolls out.

studyguy

I only have a 32 PLD and a 25 MRD, but I don't like the tanking mechanics in this game at the moment. I feel like tanking in FFXI I had all the tools I needed, I just had to be smart enough to use them wisely. In FFXIV, I just feel like I spam the same combo over and over, tossing in a few extras here and there. I also feel like the DDs have way better options to fight for the hate, while I'm left hoping my one combo is enough to keep the mobs at bay.

I don't lose hate often, but I definitely don't enjoy tanking nearly as much as I enjoyed playing PLD in FFXI (pre-endgame). I'll eventually get PLD to 50 and at least get my WAR unlocked, but at the moment I don't have fun tanking in this game.

Until 50, you really don't get all the tools you need.
Something like T4 and BC in general makes you really appreciate people who are efficient in their jobs. Tanking two drednauts, not keeping tanks alive and minimizing damage, maximizing your damage potential while keeping hate in check. It all becomes a very complex dance in some of those encounters that demands everyone's absolute attention.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Oh snap! A Square rep commented on the Twister bug in Turn 5: (potential spoilers removed)

"There have been a lot of comments about how surviving the Twister ability is seemingly random. Please know that it is not random and that the development team has adjusted the difficulty of this battle to be the highest level that is in the game currently. With that said, it was designed to be beaten. While we definitely cannot comment on strategy, we believe that a valiant group will be able to defeat Turn 5."

Looks like "valiant group" is a clue and the Twisters aren't bugged.
Can't wait to get my group to 5 and test this out!

studyguy

Oh snap! A Square rep commented on the Twister bug in Turn 5: (potential spoilers removed)

Looks like "valiant group" is a clue and the Twisters aren't bugged.
Can't wait to get my group to 5 and test this out!

That's fine. More and more people are realizing that twisters can be forced to do actual damage apparently and not just instakill if what I've heard down the grapevine is right.

chrono01

So Gridania has the pumpkin helms and Limsa Lominsa the quests to receive the ghost costumes. Is there anything else I need to do for this event? Nothing for Ul'dah?

Also, I will defeat HM Titan this weekend. I will!

If you're having issues with your War tanks in AK runs, I'm sorry, but they're shitty.

I've run it with SCH, I've run it with WHM, there's no downtime, and the healer is always free to dps (in fact, I get annoyed with healers who only heal and never dps because it slows down the run).

If the healer is good enough, I actually prefer to aoe the dungeon, because Wars can throw out completely nuts aoe threat between overpower and steel cyclone (good litmus test - is your warrior using steel cyclone on multi target pulls and blowing his offensive cooldowns constantly yes/no? if no, your run is taking longer than it needs to).

War defensive cooldowns are inferior to Plds, but their self healing with inner beast, infuriate, thrill of battle, second wind, and bloodbath is significant for any dungeon. I've killed bosses with a dead healer.

(Storm's Path is utter garbage, but that's a separate issue :()

The thing about having spike damage with cooldowns is that it works really well for dungeons, because of the delay between pulls (on slower groups anyway, assuming you're not just mass pulling and aoeing), your cooldowns are always at least partially refreshed for each pack. This means you get to use that spike dps on fights that only last a short time - Plds have roughly equivalent dps over time, but thats more meaningful for lengthy single target boss fights than it is for dungeon trash, where you want them dead as fast as possible.

No one cares about WAR vs. PLD for normal AK clears.

You need a PLD to execute the current version of the AK speed run. WAR can't do it, period, full stop.

The new WP speed run requires a PLD too.

Ken

So Gridania has the pumpkin helms and Limsa Lominsa the quests to receive the ghost costumes. Is there anything else I need to do for this event? Nothing for Ul'dah?

Also, I will defeat HM Titan this weekend. I will!

i got my ghost costume from gridania

TheWriter

When I'm not raiding hardcore, this game is still fun. Doing some crafting leves, watching movies in the meantime, doing 1-2 dungeons per day. Feels good to have ilevel 70 weapons for every class, as well. Garuda is so fun.
Having some serious trouble with characters that are stuck in the dungeon sometimes. Like after a certain amount of time or lag spike, the tank suddenly isn't moving anymore. I don't know if that's package loss, as I play via wifi, but it's the first game where I experience this issue.

adixon

No one cares about WAR vs. PLD for normal AK clears.

You need a PLD to execute the current version of the AK speed run. WAR can't do it, period, full stop.

The new WP speed run requires a PLD too.

That's actually not true, was running this with a warrior (sorry I don't remember who, was Krael or Raging I think?) and a summoner and bard, and we managed 20 mins even though the bard was a pretty recent level 50 (and summoners lack some aoe punch). We were pulling big groups, like the whole last part at once, and the healing wasn't too bad, I was even throwing some stance changes in.

Not making the argument they shouldn't balance the tank scales more though. If there's one class change I'd like to see, it's a buff on warriors. With the scholar job quests it feels like Scholars and Warriors should be designed to work well together, so it's always frustrating when you're in a high damage fight and you start having a heart attack from the damage spikes, wishing you could have been healing the nice, relaxing paladin instead.

Ultrabum

That's actually not true, was running this with a warrior (sorry I don't remember who, was Krael or Raging I think?) and a summoner and bard, and we managed 20 mins even though the bard was a pretty recent level 50 (and summoners lack some aoe punch). We were pulling big groups, like the whole last part at once, and the healing wasn't too bad, I was even throwing some stance changes in.

Not making the argument they shouldn't balance the tank scales more though. If there's one class change I'd like to see, it's a buff on warriors. With the scholar job quests it feels like Scholars and Warriors should be designed to work well together, so it's always frustrating when you're in a high damage fight and you start having a heart attack from the damage spikes, wishing you could have been healing the nice, relaxing paladin instead.

Ya 20 min not that fast, get a pld and suddenly 10 min! /sarcasm
http://ns.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1omexz/wanderers_palace_speed_run_1013/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom