• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

In most fights bards don't even really need to play songs. They also only need to silence in a select few. Going from Dragoon to Monk to Bard, Bard is just ridiculously easy. In the first Ifrit HM I did with Bard I literally didn't move for half the fight.

Bard does the most work in Turn 2 and 4 hands down.

Teknoman

And now for something different:

GAF "Creep" shots :p

iP3tDg2DlFptI.png

iGDn2Fc6ZxrWJ.png

ihEteXIiyM4Et.png

All Warrior needs is a proper "oh shit" button and something that rivals Paladin stun.

Although, if they would stop using the tired encounter design of "stun this every 10 seconds!!" they can get away with leaving Warrior stun where it's at.

falastini

You just overpowered warriors, but as one, I'd love most of those things.

Eh, I don't think so.

Buffing storms path significantly doesn't change that much. You can only use it every 9s (really 18s if you're tanking, and if you use it you're giving up the higher enimity/dmg from "Eye". There should be a reason to choose between the two storms. Maybe instead of a heal you can add a small % def bonus for x seconds.

Buffing Bloodbath and Vengeance make them def CDs that warriors desperately need.

The wrath changes are quality of life changes make the mechanics less clunky. You can use Inner Beast/Cyclone more often, but the damage will be less if you use them before full stack.

The Inner Beast "shield" overheal has to happen. You can't expect healers to know when and how much you will heal yourself for. If the skill remains the same, you end up with a bunch of wasted Inner Beasts as healers top you off.

Totakeke

Do some research and put your Gil in items that will transfer that you can then liquidate.

Yeah, I've thought about it but there's just no way to move millions of gils without significantly depreciating it. Moreso if the server you're going to move to has those items priced 50% or even less than the price on your current server.

You just overpowered warriors, but as one, I'd love most of those things.

There is no such thing as "overpowered" when you start out as the weak class. There's slightly over-tuned, there's over-buffed, there's even FOTM. But I for one don't give a fuck, I want to see WAR get everything thrown at them at once and if it turns out to be too much it can be dialed back. I hate the mentality in MMOs where devs are so afraid to fix a class because it might get OP that they just leave it a piece of shit forever, that's how it was in FFXI and it was awful.

It's better to over-buff and have to kick it down a notch after. The buff and nerf cycle is well-understood in MMOs and it works just fine as long as the devs retain a high touch and change things constantly.

All Warrior needs is a proper "oh shit" button and something that rivals Paladin stun.

The problem is PLD actually has 4 "Oh-Shit!" buttons: Foresight, Rampart, Sentinel, and Hallowed Ground.

WAR has Foresight. And it's actually by a wide margin the shittiest of the 4 skills I mentioned.

See the problem here?

Although, if they would stop using the tired encounter design of "stun this every 10 seconds!!" they can get away with leaving Warrior stun where it's at.

I don't mind that, I don't want to be the stunbot anyways. :3

Just won Titan with 2 SCH. Wasn't hard as I thought it would be without Medica II.

It's because once the aoe gets to the point where you actually need to spam aoe heals (i.e. 8 stacks of Tumult) the aoe damage lasts long enough for adloquium to soak some of it. Once you're dropping adlo stacks because of income damage you're doing the same effective healing as Medica II.

Kenai

It's because once the aoe gets to the point where you actually need to spam aoe heals (i.e. 8 stacks of Tumult) the aoe damage lasts long enough for adloquium to soak some of it. Once you're dropping adlo stacks because of income damage you're doing the same effective healing as Medica II.

Medica 2's regen effect probably means more healing overall, but the Eos regen should account for that. Medica 2's range is also way higher, but by the time the real aoe starts Titan's platform is fairly small and Eos is pretty good about spot healing anyone that gets "missed" somehow.

Medica II is 200 + 100 regen, Succor is 150 + 150 shield so in theory it should be dead on with all other things being equal. Eos has far too long a cooldown on Whispering Dawn for it to catch up massive gaps.

Aeana

Two scholars would be clashing with their shields on succor though so it definitely isn't optimal. But nice to hear it works out anyway.

Ken

Qhon entered channel.
Qhon moved to Tonberry Kingdom.
Qhon entered channel.
Qhon entered channel.

Grats

i wanted to see how all the coil groups were doing D:

there was also too much pokemon talk in lobby

chrono01

Thanks to Mira Mora, Renault, Rathiel, Sosul Mars, Kaira, Veronique, and Talis again for joining and helping me beat HM Titan tonight. I've been trying for the last several days and have been having some terrible luck. That was definitely a fast kill.

Just 400 Philosophy away from Relic. I already have enough for +1 [I've been saving]. Any time anyone needs a DPS for HM Titan, I will gladly repay he favor.

Look what I found ;d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiU7HJlFric&feature=youtu.be

That's a 15minute run, and even then they went for that first chest, so probably could have clocked in @14 or so.

All right, fine. You set a challenge before me and I did what I could to meet it. I'm not sure how that WAR did a couple of those longer runs, especially the one at the end. But here's what we did.

Some of the names are obscured but it's Safflower Amariyo, Elayne Trakand, and Sumie Arrowny. We are all in our Coil gear.

wp2.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
All right, fine. You set a challenge before me and I did what I could to meet it. I'm not sure how that WAR did a couple of those longer runs, especially the one at the end. But here's what we did.

Some of the names are obscured but it's Safflower Amariyo, Elayne Trakand, and Sumie Arrowny. We are all in our Coil gear.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34897419/wp2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I was just thinking, "Man, I'm glad my screencap didn't happen during this butt talk."

The problem is PLD actually has 4 "Oh-Shit!" buttons: Foresight, Rampart, Sentinel, and Hallowed Ground.

WAR has Foresight. And it's actually by a wide margin the shittiest of the 4 skills I mentioned.

See the problem here?

I think you're underestimating how good that static (basically) +15% healing from Defiance is.

Awesome :D

So close to breaking that 10 min mark...

Why is that WHM bothering to cast Medica 2 @1%?

why am i so bad, sigh

Kwixotik

I'm back at it. Got miner at 24, armorer at 23, and gladiator at 20. I plan on becoming a PLD.

Also, I'm on Hyperion. My character is Young Thug.

Victrix

*beard*
except shield oath is 20% damage reduction which effectively the same thing but 5% better and on all the time

You're slightly wrong, it's 10% better and on all the time :D

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/109123-Balancing-WAR-A-Game-of-Graphs

There's no need to belabor the point though really - they're aware Wars have issues, just remains to be seen how they address them in 2.1

I'd expect them to steal DK's health shields since overhealing yourself as a tank is completely worthless. Storm's Path is really weak, 30s stun is a problem, pacification is dumb, holmgang's cooldown is ridiculous, and War's defensive cooldowns are weaker than plds in general.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the healing bonus get baked in so Wrath is a 'self only' resource, not something you or healers need to deal with, but we'll see, maybe they'll do something more interesting with it.

In case anyone is following my Synthesis Solver, I just made a major algorithmic breakthrough. I've found an optimization that not only gives me a 3.5x higher rate of states analyzed / second, but it also only needs to examine 6% as many nodes at the same analysis depth.

Put into simple terms, I can now solve the same initial state in 4% (that's 25x faster!) of the time it took before. Oh, and it uses almost no memory at all.

To make things even better, the analysis quality is actually significantly better as this algorithmic re-design turned up a bunch of serious bugs in the old method. Overall, this means there should be 0 performance concerns going forward about whether or not it will be able to scale to more abilities. I expect to be able to support every ability, at practically full analysis depth, and analysis time should also be very fast.

gatti-man

I can't remember the last time I actually let out a fuck yeah after beating a boss like I did against titan HM. My FC couldn't do it and I was pugging around, we replaced pieces until we finally had a good group (we started with 4 relic players ended with 1 too many bought relics out there) and beat him. Took 2 1/2 hours prob 10 in total but the titan issue is over for me. Great fight and not that hard once you put a few hours in. Just finding 7 non bad people is what's hard mode about it.

falastini

I think our +25% hp actually balances okay with the +20% mitigation that PLDs get, but it should be mentioned that warriors do not get block. So even if you want to argue that (non constant) 15% healing is great, you need to mention that PLDs get another chance to mitigate all attacks with block. If you want to argue that our self-healing is our equivalent. I would laugh, but then I would mention that it: 1) scales horribly (flat %reduction PLD tools scale much better), 2) is prone to overhealing/waste, 3) removes that fancy +15% buff we're talking about.

Then you throw in all the PLDs CDs and the scale breaks.

I think our +25% hp actually balances okay with the +20% mitigation that PLDs get, but it should be mentioned that warriors do not get block. So even if you want to argue that (non constant) 15% healing is great, you need to mention that PLDs get another chance to mitigate all attacks with block. If you want to argue that our self-healing is our equivalent. I would laugh, but then I would mention that it: 1) scales horribly (flat %reduction PLD tools scale much better), 2) is prone to overhealing/waste, 3) removes that fancy +15% buff we're talking about.

Then you throw in all the PLDs CDs and the scale breaks.

To simply match the passive mitigation from PLD's Shield Oath, I believe that a WAR would need both +25% HP and +25% healing as a passive on Defiance. Not a 15% bound to Infuriated which vanishes if you actually use our self-healing, Inner Beast.

We should also mention that if you burn your Infuriated status on Inner Beast, you either have to immediately use the skill named Infuriate to get the Infuriated status back, which has a CD of 60 seconds. If that's not up, you have to stack Wrath up slowly for 12.5 seconds until you get the status back which gives the +15% healing bonus which is still worse than what PLD naturally has just by having Shield Oath up and standing there doing nothing.

Once that is in order, we can talk about how PLD can Block, also has Rampart, Sentinel, and Hallowed Ground, not to mention their Flash puts Blind on mobs, plus they have Enhanced Convalescence, and also Rage of Halone puts a debuff on mob damage dealt.

And after that, then we can talk about how Vengeance is useless, Storm's Eye is useless, Bloodbath is useless, Steel Cyclone is useless, Unchained is useless, and Berserk has Pacification for 5 seconds after it wears for no good reason except Squenix says fuck you Warriors.

I will be honest when I say there is no possible way that Squenix actually play-tested PLD and WAR at endgame before launching it. Because the difference between PLD and WAR would have been observed by any half-competent play-tester during the dev cycle. They just didn't test it, they released it because fuck it they had a deadline and this is what we got.

Cosmetic armor, save us

Yep.

That Monk AF2 is like they took all the stuff I wanted them to do with it and fucked it up.

- Sash and poofy pants? Yeah...with stupid bellbottoms at the end.
- Simple white top like Sabin? Sure...only it's a man bra.
- Nice looking boots to go with the poofy pants? Nope, we added stupid bellbottoms as mentioned before and put samurai clogs on instead.

Dammit. :(

tenchir

To simply match the passive mitigation from PLD's Shield Oath, I believe that a WAR would need both +25% HP and +25% healing as a passive on Defiance. Not a 15% bound to Infuriated which vanishes if you actually use our self-healing, Inner Beast.

We should also mention that if you burn your Infuriated status on Inner Beast, you either have to immediately use the skill named Infuriate to get the Infuriated status back, which has a CD of 60 seconds. If that's not up, you have to stack Wrath up slowly for 12.5 seconds until you get the status back which gives the +15% healing bonus which is still worse than what PLD naturally has just by having Shield Oath up and standing there doing nothing.

Once that is in order, we can talk about how PLD can Block, also has Rampart, Sentinel, and Hallowed Ground, not to mention their Flash puts Blind on mobs, plus they have Enhanced Convalescence, and also Rage of Halone puts a debuff on mob damage dealt.

And after that, then we can talk about how Vengeance is useless, Storm's Eye is useless, Bloodbath is useless, Steel Cyclone is useless, Unchained is useless, and Berserk has Pacification for 5 seconds after it wears for no good reason except Squenix says fuck you Warriors.

Some good news for War in next patch?

edit: looks like it was covered already.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/109315-Welp-2.1-is-going-ot-be-a-happy-time-for-warriors!

Zaptruder

Banned
Going off the various discussions of War buffs... I think the best way to buff war would be to emphasize its unique flavour over Pld.

25%HP, 20% healing bonus as std passive. Slightly inferior to pld's 20% dmg reduction.

Change the stacks from healing bonus to parry bonus. At full stacks, you get parry equivalent to a shield. And burning it will give you a dmg debuff on mob.

Cool down skills should be centered around self healing - increase HP, regen.

And give them enhanced provoke - locked threat for 5 seconds.

That way war and pld become complimentary tanks - one is damage mitigation, one is health spiking.

Raijinken

I beat chimera today on my first try and with other players that needed to defeat him for the relic quest. We defeated him in less than 5 minutes, laughing at how easy it was and thinking there was going to be another phase after the battle or something. I hear people talk about how difficult he is so I left the duty very confused. We had one tank and the rest were all DPS, so we literally just stood right where the duty placed us and let the tank do his work. The Chimera didn't even get to cast his large thunder AoE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom