• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I'm still very new to AK but my stupidity still pisses me off sometimes.
When the PT has a LB available for the left bee during Demon Wall everything goes smooth.
This changes when I join a group in progress without a LB at our disposal.
Dodging the DW's purple goo and avoiding the fly AOEs is enough of a distraction to completely let me forget about Repel. :(
I hope a little more practive does the trick but it still pisses me off. I'm better than that. I know it!

Still have to do The Sunken Temple of Quarn for the GC hunting log and kill Hydra for my Relic.
Haven't been lucky with AK drops so far. Only got a belt so far.

if you ctrl+f the target it keeps their health bar and stuff up on your screen at all times (unless they do something that makes them disappear off the map which gets rid of the focus target which is stupid design tbh)

Perhaps I went over board buy AF gear and all high level accessories for my miner. Only got 9,000 gill left gotta start putting stuff on the market.

Yazus

Hi GAF, after many years playing WoW I decided to play a new MMO and FF14 seems like a good game/alternative.

Is a good and old timer WoW player going to like ff14?

Negator

Hi GAF, after many years playing WoW I decided to play a new MMO and FF14 seems like a good game/alternative.

I played WoW for seven years, and I'm having a blast with this game.

I played a rogue for a while, so the long GCD took a while to get used to. Once you get used to how the combat works, it's an incredibly fun game. The endgame is rather content light right now, but I'm sure if you got the game at this point, the content patch coming out soon will be out already by the time you reach level cap.

If you're a fan of Final Fantasy old or new, and enjoyed WoW, I cannot recommend it enough.

orion434

Hey guys - I need some advice.

Is mining worth it? Like I mean pursuing a high level mining - currently I'm level 18, and just really not digging FFXIV's material gathering mechanics (prefer something like WoW).

Ultimately I want to main as a Warrior/Lancer, with Blacksmithing and Mining as my DoH/DoL.

Is Mining worth it? That's a loaded question! At the very least if you get lv 50* Gear and eat the GP raising Meal you get 90% Gathering / 31% HQ on 6 strikes of a lv 50 unspoiled mineral Deposit that appears once every Eorzean day. If you even just get 15 NQ Darksteel / Gold Ore you can sell them for 300 Gil each, so at the least 9,000 Gil per Eorzean Day.

Now if you combine lv 50 Miner + lv 50 Blacksmith / Goldsmith you can convert those Ores to Nuggets, on Ultros NQ sell for 2,000 Gil / HQ for 3,000 Gil, but you need 3 Fire / Wind Crystals to make each. These Nuggets sell like hotcakes!

You can make 9K to 30K Gil per Eorzean Day... Yes Mining is worth it :)

JimPanzer

played WoW for many and I'm quite disappointed with FF14. It's not that FF14 is worse than WoW - it's just exactly the same, only in the final fantasy universe. Perhaps I made an mistake with thinking MMORPGs would have evolved into more unique experiences gameplay-wise. As it stands now it's just a decision which universe/lore you like more. I was never really interested in the story of an MMO so to see the exact same gameplay elements being used over and over again was a big disappointment.

edit: should have mentioned that I only play this for two days now (currently lvl 19). will stick with it a bit longer and see what happens, but being fed up with a game after only two days is never a good sign.

KeRaSh

Is Mining worth it? That's a loaded question! At the very least if you get lv 50* Gear and eat the GP raising Meal you get 90% Gathering / 31% HQ on 6 strikes of a lv 50 unspoiled mineral Deposit that appears once every Eorzean day. If you even just get 15 NQ Darksteel / Gold Ore you can sell them for 300 Gil each, so at the least 9,000 Gil per Eorzean Day.

Now if you combine lv 50 Miner + lv 50 Blacksmith / Goldsmith you can convert those Ores to Nuggets, on Ultros NQ sell for 2,000 Gil / HQ for 3,000 Gil, but you need 3 Fire / Wind Crystals to make each. These Nuggets sell like hotcakes!

What about Botany? Is there a comparable amount of money in that? I'd prefer leveling Botany at some point because I want to level Carpenter.

aceface

if you ctrl+f the target it keeps their health bar and stuff up on your screen at all times (unless they do something that makes them disappear off the map which gets rid of the focus target which is stupid design tbh)

You know speaking of focus target, is it possible to do on the PS3 (on enemies)? I've heard some people say no and some people say yes but still have not figured out how.

orion434

What about Botany? Is there a comparable amount of money in that? I'd prefer leveling Botany at some point because I want to level Carpenter.

Of course! Lv 50 Botanist + Lv 50 Carpenter / Weaver. You harvest Crawler Cocoons & Spruce Logs. It might be a little less Gil because I'm not lv 50 Botanist yet and don't know how many you get per strike. Weaver requires on 2x Crawler Cocoons for Twin Thread.

KeRaSh

Of course! Lv 50 Botanist + Lv 50 Carpenter / Weaver. You harvest Crawler Cocoons & Spruce Logs. It might be a little less Gil because I'm not lv 50 Botanist yet and don't know how many you get per strike. Weaver requires on 2x Crawler Cocoons for Twin Thread.

I'm very interested in picking up botany now and just have a little fun with it but I just started playing around with endgame.
Might jump back and forth between the two while I'm queueing...
Or I'll just power through it a little more and start botany when I hit the Titan HM wall.

orion434

I'm very interested in picking up botany now and just have a little fun with it but I just started playing around with endgame.
Might jump back and forth between the two while I'm queueing...
Or I'll just power through it a little more and start botany when I hit the Titan HM wall.

There is a minor set-back with Discipline of the Land Classes, you can't just switch from Disciple of War / Disciple of Trade classes to DoL. When you switch to Miner / Botanist you start at 0 GP, you need at least 300 for Toil of the Mountaineer, and GP regen is SLOW! 300pts per 1 hour Eorzean Time. It's slightly faster if you are hitting other nodes, for example for Gold Ore, I mine Alumen while I wait for my GP to hit 600, then off to the Waterfall.

If I'm crafting, at 11pm / 7am I switch to Miner while I adjust prices / check the Market Board. It gets tedious after awhile, and the Nuggets are a lv 50* craft, you need at least 328 Craftsmanship with lv 50 Blacksmith for Ingenuity II / Weaver lv 50 for Careful Synthesis II / Culinarian to lv 37 for Hasty Touch / Steady Hand II / Alchemist to lv 15 for Tricks of the Trade / Goldsmith lv 15 for Manipulation to be able to consistently HQ the Nuggets. The sequence takes 40 - 50 seconds each, no macro-use because you need 2 "Good" Conditions for the proper CP... want to make 40 Nuggets it will take at least a 1/2 hour.

KeRaSh

There is a minor set-back with Discipline of the Land Classes, you can't just switch from Disciple of War / Disciple of Trade classes to DoL. When you switch to Miner / Botanist you start at 0 GP, you need at least 300 for Toil of the Mountaineer, and GP regen is SLOW! 300pts per 1 hour Eorzean Time. It's slightly faster if you are hitting other nodes, for example for Gold Ore, I mine Alumen while I wait for my GP to hit 600, then off to the Waterfall.

If I'm crafting, at 11pm / 7am I switch to Miner while I adjust prices / check the Market Board. It gets tedious after awhile, and the Nuggets are a lv 50* craft, you need at least 328 Craftsmanship with lv 50 Blacksmith for Ingenuity II / Weaver lv 50 for Careful Synthesis II / Culinarian to lv 37 for Hasty Touch / Steady Hand II / Alchemist to lv 15 for Tricks of the Trade / Goldsmith lv 15 for Manipulation to be able to consistently HQ the Nuggets. The sequence takes 40 - 50 seconds each, no macro-use because you need 2 "Good" Conditions for the proper CP... want to make 40 Nuggets it will take at least a 1/2 hour.

Meh. Sounds like planning and work!
I want to take the casual approach and just whack away at trees without a plan for a while. I've read about the slow GP regen and I'm actually too afraid to miss a ready DF to do fancy things while I wait so I'll probably end up having to dedicate time just for gathering purposes.

If waiting for AK queues and ending up not beating Demon Wall gets on my nerves again, I might just spend and hour or two to kick off my Botany career!

Yazus

I played WoW for seven years, and I'm having a blast with this game.

I played a rogue for a while, so the long GCD took a while to get used to. Once you get used to how the combat works, it's an incredibly fun game. The endgame is rather content light right now, but I'm sure if you got the game at this point, the content patch coming out soon will be out already by the time you reach level cap.

If you're a fan of Final Fantasy old or new, and enjoyed WoW, I cannot recommend it enough.

Thanks a lot. I think that as soon as my new connection is set up I will buy this game and try it up. What kind of subscription method do you recommend? I think I'm going to play only one character. Also, can I buy this digitally on Square site?

squall211

TITAN IS DEAD! HE'S REALLY REALLY DEAD! THANK YOU JESUS!

After countless groups with people who either had lag problems or simply couldn't dodge, I finally found a group last night that was able to kill him in about 8 minutes.

You know speaking of focus target, is it possible to do on the PS3 (on enemies)? I've heard some people say no and some people say yes but still have not figured out how.

You have to make a macro.

Is either /focustarget <t> o /targetfocus <t>

I wish L3 was changed to "enemy lock" to "targetfocus". Enemy lock is 100% useless.

studyguy

Not benched this week for BC.
Twintania wipes here I come.

Also I made like a cold mil just selling junk tier II materia and have finally started doing DoL. I just smash x on a controller as a I watch a movie and gather shards, there is literally nothing I need in the lower DoLs.

supergiz

Or, you could take your lvl 50 character and do one 15 minute speedrun a day of WP. about 20k if you factor in the extra 25 tomes you need. Congratulations you already made as much money as someone who busted their arse to miner lvl 50.

No, mining isn't worth it. Yes, I'm doing it anyway.

Aeana

Can anyone help with good/useful WHM macros??
I don't use that many macros.

/micon "Virus"
/ac "Virus" <tt> to put Virus on whatever's being fought.

/micon "Repose"
/ac "Repose" <bind1> to bind something that's marked with the bind1 symbol so I don't have to change targets.

I think that's it. If you use kb/m, you can use <mo> in your target for /ac so you can heal just by hovering over a name and hitting your heal button rather than clicking.

Muddimar

So I have relic/full DL for my paladin... now I'm officially burnt out on the lv 50 dungeons. I can't bring myself to run another one. So I began leveling a DPS class (lancer), to hopefully break up the monotonous grind of "end game". Anyone else "burnt out"? I guess I could start running coil. I dunno what to do :/

Aeana

So I have relic/full DL for my paladin... now I'm officially burnt out on the lv 50 dungeons. I can't bring myself to run another one. So I began leveling a DPS class (lancer), to hopefully break up the monotonous grind of "end game". Anyone else "burnt out"? I guess I could start running coil. I dunno what to do :/
Definitely try to get into a Coil group. It's pretty fun, especially after how easy most of the rest of the game is.

twelver

I don't use that many macros.

/micon "Virus"
/ac "Virus" <tt> to put Virus on whatever's being fought.

/micon "Repose"
/ac "Repose" <bind1> to bind something that's marked with the bind1 symbol so I don't have to change targets.

I think that's it. If you use kb/m, you can use <mo> in your target for /ac so you can heal just by hovering over a name and hitting your heal button rather than clicking.

Thank you!

gatti-man

I'm getting there but I really enjoy AK. I loath CM with a passion though. Haven't done WP yet or coil. I'm hoping coil is as fun as people say.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I have 2 classes as well. DRG is my main and it is the go-to coil character. My alt is a 50 WAR that I just got all but 1 piece of DL on which is ready for Crystal Tower or potentially coil if my static wants to switch things up a bit.

Having a DPS and a tank allows me some variation in the end-game dungeons as they feel completely different dungeons on the two roles.

Muddimar

Definitely try to get into a Coil group. It's pretty fun, especially after how easy most of the rest of the game is.

I'll have to look up the turn 1-4 strategies. COIL drops Allgan armors correct? Or does it drop nothing like most of the other dungeons?

Amon-Lau

Ugh I really hate messing up a run, especially if it's my connection... =/

Need to remember to reset the router from time to time, should of figured it out earlier yesterday while I was getting my face busted by Titan.. xP

Now to find a new group doing Titan seeing the folks I did it with already finished it when I was off...

jiien

Need to remember to reset the router from time to time, should of figured it out earlier yesterday while I was getting my face busted by Titan.. xP

Now to find a new group doing Titan seeing the folks I did it with already finished it when I was off...

Don't worry dude, you know Kera and I will always help.

Aeana

Ok great! I'll assume all body pieces?... also do I need to do a quest to unlock COIL or is it available by walking to the dungeon entrance?
Once you beat Titan/get relic, you can get a new quest (I think from Waking Sands?) to attune to Coil. It's short/easy.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

If you had a semi static group, they might be willing to help you through it. Don't give up hope yet!

orion434

Or, you could take your lvl 50 character and do one 15 minute speedrun a day of WP. about 20k if you factor in the extra 25 tomes you need. Congratulations you already made as much money as someone who busted their arse to miner lvl 50.

No, mining isn't worth it. Yes, I'm doing it anyway.

The nodes re-spawn in 1 Eorzean day, you can collect far more ore than tomes. Sure if you don't want to invest the time to get the most out of it, then fine. I can watch TV, camp at the node and just collect the ore when it spawns.

Zalasta

Never thought I'd say this but I wish they would re-implement the rule that if you don't get XP from mobs you don't get item drops either. Tired of seeing level 50 farming stuff that I'm actually grinding XP on.

pitbull

Banned

the dl grind is just so you can beat titan to get your relic to get to coil to get to turn 4.... sigh

Get a coil group and that'll take up 2+ days of your gaming + you need to myth cap every week.

played WoW for many and I'm quite disappointed with FF14. It's not that FF14 is worse than WoW - it's just exactly the same, only in the final fantasy universe. Perhaps I made an mistake with thinking MMORPGs would have evolved into more unique experiences gameplay-wise. As it stands now it's just a decision which universe/lore you like more. I was never really interested in the story of an MMO so to see the exact same gameplay elements being used over and over again was a big disappointment.

edit: should have mentioned that I only play this for two days now (currently lvl 19). will stick with it a bit longer and see what happens, but being fed up with a game after only two days is never a good sign.

I'm disappointed because there is nearly nothing that this game doesn't do worse then a launch WoW, aside from looks. Saying it is exactly the same is actually giving the game too high of praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom