• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
It is very weird. I picked healer because, well, I enjoy keeping others alive in MMOs, plus I thought everyone else would want to be a DPS or Tank, giving me endless choices for grouping.

Might be because WHM is the only 'obvious' healing class with SCH not unlocking until level 30.

So I have 940 Myth tomes, and this week I'll reach 1240 so the question is:

I have a PLD with Relic +1 (both shield and sword) and Full DL + 1 Allagan ring which gives me 5.7k on PT, I feel im perfectly fine for turn 1,2 and 3 (well it's like a cool section in which you can avoid all enemies). I can do Turn 4 with that so I can spend my Myth on DRG?

I really like DRG and I want to take it to coil and gear him up. PLD is still my main so maybe I should focus on it, but DRG will probably need Relic + 1 and other stuff to be competitive in later turns and I really want the option to bring both. So what's the recomendation from GAF pros (lol) ?

Ultrabum

So I have 940 Myth tomes, and this week I'll reach 1240 so the question is:

I have a PLD with Relic +1 (both shield and sword) and Full DL + 1 Allagan ring which gives me 5.7k on PT, I feel im perfectly fine for turn 1,2 and 3 (well it's like a cool section in which you can avoid all enemies). I can do Turn 4 with that so I can spend my Myth on DRG?

I really like DRG and I want to take it to coil and gear him up. PLD is still my main so maybe I should focus on it, but DRG will probably need Relic + 1 and other stuff to be competitive in later turns and I really want the option to bring both. So what's the recomendation from GAF pros (lol) ?

Level bard, no one wants drg and monk in coil :(

Also there are a lot of drg.

squall211

Might be because WHM is the only 'obvious' healing class with SCH not unlocking until level 30.

Well, I guess I was just surprised in general that there are SO MANY white mages. I know it's a staple class of the FF series, but I just kind of thought everyone would rather be doing damage instead of healing it lol.

You asked for recommendations, I was just being honest :D

If you want to play dps war, do it! But I would not recommend it.

Well, it just I don't really care about popularity in coil (although there's no real reason not to bring one melee DPS on coil) it was more about if my actual PLD gear is enough for turn 4 or I can waste my myth on other things.

studyguy

Well, it just I don't really care about popularity in coil (although there's no real reason not to bring one melee DPS on coil) it was more about if my actual PLD gear is enough for turn 4 or I can waste my myth on other things.

You're more than fine for T4, you can make it to T5 in darklight.

pitbull

Banned
It's almost as impressive as that dragoon mana regen. I don't get your point. Yes it's nice to have 1 melee for a limit break?

Yup, if you want to go pld it's fine but every coil group needs a melee otherwise its just harder for no point at all.

gryvan

We have an underground pokemon LS where we do competition battles daily with people bidding on whose gonna win via gil, tome items, etc.

So I've recently been reading that in order to get gold in boss fates, you need to have high generated enmity.

As a monk, should I just turn into a pug and get enmity weaponskills and just spam provoke?

Having done a few of Odin and Behe, I haven't gotten gold once and I've been on these bosses from 100 to 0 a few times.

anyone know if this enmity thing is accurate?

So I've recently been reading that in order to get gold in boss fates, you need to have high generated enmity.

As a monk, should I just turn into a pug and get enmity weaponskills and just spam provoke?

Having done a few of Odin and Behe, I haven't gotten gold once and I've been on these bosses from 100 to 0 a few times.

As a smn/sch the best way for me to get golds in fates while soloing was to hit as many mobs with instant debuffs as possible. I can't imagine I generated much enmity considering I would only tag them with a single bio/miasma II before they died, but it worked every time. The only time I would actually do a normal damage rotation was when it was a single huge boss FATE.

So I got full darklight minus 2 accessories and am planning to get Titan done in earnest this week. I have a question for the summoners out there, is it wise to go straight to Relic+1 after I get my relic (should have 900 myth this week too) or is there another piece of myth gear I should be aiming for?

wrongway

I think that's how fates work in general, yeah. I know in regular multi-mob fates, you can get gold solo just by running in and using flash a couple times, or spamming an insta-cast spell on everything just to get on aggro lists, even if the damage output is low.

For Odin and Behemoth specifically? I dunno what the secret is. I figure it's just a case of them being such massive zergs that there's a ridiculous amount of competition, so getting gold is a matter of everyone in your group being geared to the teeth. :[

studyguy

You can just spam flash in a class and get gold for pretty much anything.
Works for me.

Teknoman

I got frustrated and left for a while. When I first got the game Ultros was full, but now I've switched over. Maybe now I can finally get a party to start Sastanas.

You havent done Sastasha yet? We've got to get that solved asap.

EDIT: So you high level tanks and healers, have you had the opportunity to use a limit break even once? Seems like extra defense would be helpful at least during primal battles.

dramatis

So you high level tanks and healers, have you had the opportunity to use a limit break even once? Seems like extra defense would be helpful at least during primal battles.
LB is usually the domain of the dps, short of crazy emergencies healers don't use LB. As a healer I've used LB only 2 times the whole time I've played WHM. And my only level 50 combat class is WHM.

EDIT: So you high level tanks and healers, have you had the opportunity to use a limit break even once? Seems like extra defense would be helpful at least during primal battles.

I used the scholar limit break 3 on a garuda fight once when I was the only one left alive. It looked cool, and everyone else suddenly being alive again was neat, but our positioning was so bad with the adds and the tornadoes that we all pretty much died again right afterward. There are probably moments where it would work really well but I haven't encountered it yet.

WolvenOne

So.

I've got to take my mostly busted phone in to get replaced, but its the same phone I have my Security Key installed onto. Do I have to back that up, or is it attached to my phone number?

DrDogg

So.

I've got to take my mostly busted phone in to get replaced, but its the same phone I have my Security Key installed onto. Do I have to back that up, or is it attached to my phone number?

Make sure you have that backup password. In the worst case, you'll have to unregister your current app, and register it fresh.

Aeana

So.

If your phone is working to the point that you can use the app, I recommend removing the security token from your account before you take your phone in. It's tied to your specific device. If you wrote down the emergency password from within the app, you can remove it without using the phone again.

squall211

LB is usually the domain of the dps, short of crazy emergencies healers don't use LB. As a healer I've used LB only 2 times the whole time I've played WHM. And my only level 50 combat class is WHM.

Pretty much this. I think I used it maybe three times in total. I've used it so rarely that in times where it would actually be useful I don't even think to use it unless someone in party chat screams 'WHM USE LB!!!!!!!!!!!11111".

Mandoric

Banned

Because snap healing is so fast, tank LB3 (-50% damage) is only really useful for one-shot undodgeable AoEs that do more than ~3500 (would instagib people) but less than ~7000 (would instagib them anyway).

The only attack like that in the game right now is Ifrit's 2hr with exactly one nail up, and you're basically guaranteed a 0-nail 2hr if your DPS LBs the nails anyway. Maybe it would be useful for just burning Garuda/ignoring plumes? I've never actually seen the damage on her 2hr with no rocks left.

Healer is a bit more useful, but again because of good snap healing its big draw is its raise, and most tough fights have HP checks for the whole party that casters will immediately fail if they have raise sickness. The animation lock is also a killer.

Cetra

How do you even do a limit break? I never did one since I played WHM primarily. I have it on my toolbar but hitting the button does nada.

You have to aim it. You'll get a orange targeting reticle when you click the LB, put that where you want it on the ground and click again to confirm.

Princepeach

Neo Member
the combat sound effects in this game are atrocious

Overall I don't have a problem with them, but Rage of Halone, my god. I've turned the sound effects volume down to less than half and it is still so loud. Louder than any other attack by far, even when the camera isn't positioned closely to the PLD using it. And they are constantly using it, obviously.

WolvenOne

Make sure you have that backup password. In the worst case, you'll have to unregister your current app, and register it fresh.

If your phone is working to the point that you can use the app, I recommend removing the security token from your account before you take your phone in. It's tied to your specific device. If you wrote down the emergency password from within the app, you can remove it without using the phone again.

I'll probably unregister it then, since I don't remember anything about a, "backup password."

aceface

All this WHM being super popular talk is making me want to go for scholar instead of WHM.

I'll probably just get CNJ to 30 for the fabulous unicorn then decide from there.

Ken

Impulse Drive is a good post-combo filler, if your DOTs are up. High damage from behind makes it the equivalent of Snap Punch damage-wise.

I typically use them after the first rotation myself so Dragon Kick -> Twin Dragons -> Demolish -> Touch of Death -> Dragon Kick -> Twin Dragons -> Snap punch -> Fracture

Then I continue from there. You get the most out of it with GL3 up but it's not like it's going to be worse than other options if your GL3 is not there yet. Animation on ToD is a little long but I think you can cut it short with Steel Peak or Howling Fist.

That's your opener then? First demo at 0 gl stacks?

If I were a bard, I would so ditch that group!

ouch!

Alucrid

Banned
Impulse Drive is a good post-combo filler, if your DOTs are up. High damage from behind makes it the equivalent of Snap Punch damage-wise.

I typically use them after the first rotation myself so Dragon Kick -> Twin Dragons -> Demolish -> Touch of Death -> Dragon Kick -> Twin Dragons -> Snap punch -> Fracture

Then I continue from there. You get the most out of it with GL3 up but it's not like it's going to be worse than other options if your GL3 is not there yet. Animation on ToD is a little long but I think you can cut it short with Steel Peak or Howling Fist.

Thanks, I would usually end the first combo with demolish and pop ToD and Frac after using BFB once I get GL3 up. I'll have to volunteer for a few more Titan HMs and play around with my rotation.

Shouta

That's your opener then? First demo at 0 gl stacks?

Yes, because Demolish is strong and gives a stack of GL. With my rotation, I usually refresh the Demolish again on the 3rd GL and do a rotation to wear all my debuffs out before starting it again.

Thanks, I would usually end the first combo with demolish and pop ToD and Frac after using BFB once I get GL3 up. I'll have to volunteer for a few more Titan HMs and play around with my rotation.

I usually save Fracture for after my second Combo but I might actually try pairing those up later to test it out. Might be easier to manage the timers that way.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Overall I don't have a problem with them, but Rage of Halone, my god. I've turned the sound effects volume down to less than half and it is still so loud. Louder than any other attack by far, even when the camera isn't positioned closely to the PLD using it. And they are constantly using it, obviously.
I agree. Halone sounds unusually loud.

I have to admit it sounds satisfying, though. wshhk wshhk wsshk wsshk PHHHHFFFWWWW

Velk

Neo Member
I was confused, so I asked what he meant and he said some people in the group said I wasn't healing very much. I felt like I was healing as much as was necessary, so I'm not sure if this was because he was the off tank and I didn't have to heal him as much, or if their whm was simply telling them she carried the group.

I prefer to use adloquium first because of the shield and higher effective heal, and phsyick only if the shield is up - is this not the preferred way to do it? Can I safely ignore this comment since the fight went well, or do I need to reevaluate my strategies and technique?

If I am reading your summary correctly, you were only healing the offtank, and I assume some random heals to people who took damage from friction ? If so, that's probably why they were upset.

On garuda, the offtank is only actually offtanking when the clones are up - you should spend 90% of the fight healing the main tank and everyone else.

Taruranto

GCHdyA2.jpg

Didn't know this wasn't instanced, pretty cool.

studyguy

I agree. Halone sounds unusually loud.

I have to admit it sounds satisfying, though. wshhk wshhk wsshk wsshk PHHHHFFFWWWW

SHINK SHINK SHINK FFFFFFWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHSHOO
Oh fuck I skipped savage blade ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit

Ken

Yes, because Demolish is strong and gives a stack of GL. With my rotation, I usually refresh the Demolish again on the 3rd GL and do a rotation to wear all my debuffs out before starting it again.

I usually save Fracture for after my second Combo but I might actually try pairing those up later to test it out. Might be easier to manage the timers that way.

Interesting. I'll try that when I actually get to 50. <__>

Shouta

Interesting. I'll try that when I actually get to 50. <__>

Demolish is a PUG skill so you can mess with it at early levels. It's a DOT but it's pretty high potency when you add it up. In fact, all of Monk's DOTs are high potency compared to their attacks, so they should be kept up and refreshed when possible. Other jobs don't get as many DOTs and even when they do get them, the potency bonus on a combo makes those more powerful to use over the DOTs. Those jobs can make a case for not using stuff like Fracture.

Victrix

*beard*
Monk dots and Greased Lightning are actually the two reasons I've been hesitant to level one as my DD

Even with (suspected) Bard nerfs inbound, they'd need to buff melee heavily to make me seriously consider them for endgame action. Melee typically gets a disproportionate amount of hate and has to spend time out of range or dodging shit, and that's really really bad for Monk dps.

Otoh if they buff them so they do bonkers dps under ideal circumstances and competitive under bad circumstances, I might go for it anyway, Monks are fun to play :D

studyguy

Monk dots and Greased Lightning are actually the two reasons I've been hesitant to level one as my DD

Even with (suspected) Bard nerfs inbound, they'd need to buff melee heavily to make me seriously consider them for endgame action. Melee typically gets a disproportionate amount of hate and has to spend time out of range or dodging shit, and that's really really bad for Monk dps.

Otoh if they buff them so they do bonkers dps under ideal circumstances and competitive under bad circumstances, I might go for it anyway, Monks are fun to play :D

Last time they nerfed Archers they did some pretty harsh changes. Quick Nock used to be insane in terms of damage since it was a multi-hit attack you could charge some 4-5 times iirc to burn shit to the ground instantly. They capped the charges, extended the timer and knocked the attack damages down quite a bit. YoshiP has always been adamant about them being Support before DPS for some reason.

Torquill

Other jobs don't get as many DOTs and even when they do get them, the potency bonus on a combo makes those more powerful to use over the DOTs. Those jobs can make a case for not using stuff like Fracture.
I know this isn't true for Dragoons (Phlebotomize does more damage per GCD skill than anything else in our repertoire) and I'm dubious of the claim in general. If a dot does less damage per GCD skill than instant skills the dot would be completely worthless. That's DoT 101. More total bot not instant.

When you consider these things make sure you consider the opportunity cost. A full thrust combo does more total damage than and phlebotomoze but I have to spent 3 GCD skills to do that damage. The total / 3 is less than pleb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom