• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

Last time they nerfed Archers they did some pretty harsh changes. Quick Nock used to be insane in terms of damage since it was a multi-hit attack you could charge some 4-5 times iirc to burn shit to the ground instantly. They capped the charges, extended the timer and knocked the attack damages down quite a bit. YoshiP has always been adamant about them being Support before DPS for some reason.

YoshiP needs to fully commit the class to being support or DPS rather than trying this halfway solution that leads to a strangely balanced class. In the past (and even in the FC chat today), I have heard that a good suggestion for Archers would be to have a DPS Ranger Job and a Support Bard Job. For a DPS role, clear out the songs and maybe provide for attacks that give the role a bit more complex of a rotation (and maybe incorporate positional moves). For a Bard Role, clear out some of the really DPS oriented cross-class and job stuff (like Invigorate, Blood for Blood, and Internal Release) and really, really double-down on buff songs, debuffs/interrupts, and DoTs. I'll admit I ate crow for Foe's Requiem, but potentially having more songs like Foe's would be a good start (maybe something that boosts attack, another that boosts defense, maybe one that provides very specific buffs/debuff resistances, etc).

That way, you have two options where a blanket nerf like "animation lock, nerf dps" doesn't leave players with a class that can't do either support or DPS all that well. The problems that other melee classes go through is a separate issue; perhaps some adjustment is needed there to make the reward totally worth the risk.

dark_chris

i just need to do one more AK run and ill get my Valor chest piece. WOOT!
I opted to not get DL chest cause i hated it so i went with the leggings at least.

Mileena

Banned
Monk dots and Greased Lightning are actually the two reasons I've been hesitant to level one as my DD

Even with (suspected) Bard nerfs inbound, they'd need to buff melee heavily to make me seriously consider them for endgame action. Melee typically gets a disproportionate amount of hate and has to spend time out of range or dodging shit, and that's really really bad for Monk dps.

Otoh if they buff them so they do bonkers dps under ideal circumstances and competitive under bad circumstances, I might go for it anyway, Monks are fun to play :D

and somehow they still do more damage then BRD as is

I can't wait to see post-nerf. everyone is gonna be shouting for MNK parties in KRT and BRD is gonna be forgotten. eh, hopefully they at least make WAR viable for everything.

Alucrid

Banned
and somehow they still do more damage then BRD as is

I can't wait to see post-nerf. everyone is gonna be shouting for MNK parties in KRT and BRD is gonna be forgotten. eh, hopefully they at least make WAR viable for everything.

Good thing my Monk is 3/5 allagan and has yet to step foot into coil.

Dex815

Almost Tuesday and I still can't transfer my character ... And the only reply from Support "Keep trying it, must be server congestion".

I feel scammed.

studyguy

YoshiP needs to fully commit the class to being support or DPS rather than trying this halfway solution that leads to a strangely balanced class. In the past (and even in the FC chat today), I have heard that a good suggestion for Archers would be to have a DPS Ranger Job and a Support Bard Job. For a DPS role, clear out the songs and maybe provide for attacks that give the role a bit more complex of a rotation (and maybe incorporate positional moves). For a Bard Role, clear out some of the really DPS oriented cross-class and job stuff (like Invigorate, Blood for Blood, and Internal Release) and really, really double-down on buff songs, debuffs/interrupts, and DoTs. I'll admit I ate crow for Foe's Requiem, but potentially having more songs like Foe's would be a good start (maybe something that boosts attack, another that boosts defense, maybe one that provides very specific buffs/debuff resistances, etc).

That way, you have two options where a blanket nerf like "animation lock, nerf dps" doesn't leave players with a class that can't do either support or DPS all that well. The problems that other melee classes go through is a separate issue; perhaps some adjustment is needed there to make the reward totally worth the risk.

The problem is twofold however.
We're not at level cap, so who's to say we won't get more songs that have different support. The BRD final quest had a god damn ATK/DEF up song. Most people would kill for that, so who's to say he doesn't have some master plan of a solid support down the road.

Secondly, we have yet to see the flipside of the ARC coin. We have a second Job that could very well be the ranged DPS that we want.
Or it could be another half ass job, who knows.

Anyway, I get the feeling that we're basically seeing FFXI, pre Rise of Zilart currently... which was basically nothing. Maybe not, maybe I'm too optimistic, but it's basically a matter of waiting and seeing at the moment.

Is there a good resource I can use to see if melding an item will put it over the cap on a specific stat? I wasn't paying attention and had 2 worthless melds done last night

Ken

Demolish is a PUG skill so you can mess with it at early levels. It's a DOT but it's pretty high potency when you add it up. In fact, all of Monk's DOTs are high potency compared to their attacks, so they should be kept up and refreshed when possible. Other jobs don't get as many DOTs and even when they do get them, the potency bonus on a combo makes those more powerful to use over the DOTs. Those jobs can make a case for not using stuff like Fracture.

I'm pretty disappointed that both melee DPS are pretty heavy on DOTs.

Shouta

I know this isn't true for Dragoons (Phlebotomize does more damage per GCD skill than anything else in our repertoire) and I'm dubious of the claim in general. If a dot does less damage per GCD skill than instant skills the dot would be completely worthless. That's DoT 101. More total bot not instant.

When you consider these things make sure you consider the opportunity cost. A full thrust combo does more total damage than and phlebotomoze but I have to spent 3 GCD skills to do that damage. The total / 3 is less than pleb.

Fracture isn't as useful on Dragoon is it? =P

Phlebotomize being strong doesn't really diminish my point though. There's not a huge reason to use Fracture, right? So even if you axe it, you're not losing that much extra damage. because the spread on other skills is good and the bonuses help balance it out in some cases. And Phleb is just one DOT. =P

All of the DOTs Monk has access to outstrip their normal attacks in damage. 220 for Fracture, 240 for Demolish, and 270 for Touch of Death. Monk's highest non-DOT attack is Snap Punch (from Flank) and Impulse Drive (from behind) at 180. So the importance of DOTs is much higher them than any other class sans Summoner. They need to be kept up to get the most out of the damage of the class. Just losing one is huge for Monk.

Alucrid

Banned

Phlebotomize being strong doesn't really diminish my point though. There's not a huge reason to use Fracture, right? And Phleb is just one DOT. So even if you axe it, you're not losing that much extra damage.

All of the DOTs Monk has access to outstrip their normal attacks in damage. 220 for Fracture, 240 for Demolish, and 270 for Touch of Death. Monk's highest non-DOT attack is Snap Punch (from Flank) and Impulse Drive (from behind) at 180. So the importance of DOTs is much higher them than any other class sans Summoner. They need to be kept up to get the most out of the damage of the class. Just losing one is huge for Monk.

Fracture is most useful for Dragoons because it helps to fill out our rotation, the damage ain't bad either.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Phlebotomize being strong doesn't really diminish my point though. There's not a huge reason to use Fracture, right? And Phleb is just one DOT. So even if you axe it, you're not losing that much extra damage. because the spread on other skills is good and the bonuses help balance it out in some cases.

Fracuture is a waste of GCD and TP. We DRGs have too many other options.

Clipse

i just need to do one more AK run and ill get my Valor chest piece. WOOT!
I opted to not get DL chest cause i hated it so i went with the leggings at least.
Nice! Planning on the Valor body to be my first Myth purchase. Can't stand the DL helm/body piece.

Princepeach

Neo Member
Is there ever a good reason to use impulse drive and heavy thrust as a lancer, once you have access to the full thrust combo?

Sure they get positional bonuses, but the full FT combo outclasses them every time. Is there something I'm missing?

Alucrid

Banned
Is there ever a good reason to use impulse drive and heavy thrust as a lancer, once you have access to the full thrust combo?

Sure they get positional bonuses, but the full FT combo outclasses them every time. Is there something I'm missing?

Heavy Thrust is 10% increase in damage for 20 seconds in later levels. Impulse drive is the combo starter for a chain that throws up a nice dot and debuff for -10% pierce resistance. You should always have Heavy Thrust up and eventually will always want to use the Impulse Drive combo.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

It is the first part of your debuff combo... In fact, it's among the most important moves to land when doing the combo.

Shouta

It's higher damage than your FT starter so it's ok for one GCD. Plus, the Impulse Combo increases the damage of other DRGs and BRDs in the party as well.

I don't have DRG leveled but considering the skills, I'd go:

Heavy Thrust -> Impulse Drive -> Disembowl -> True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust

Pop Inner Release and Blood For Blood before the FT combo to get max damage, etc.

Edit: Ah. HT is 20 seconds at higher levels. Only need one then!

Torquill

Fracuture is a waste of GCD and TP. We DRGs have too many other options.
Just looking at the base math this is false. As I said before, damage per time cost, fracture still beats Full Thrust combo in damage. In mechanic heavy fights it's also great, simply fucking great, to have high damage that only uses one skill. The TP cost is irrelevant. You never run out of TP as a dragoon unless you're doing AE. period.

TheWriter

So on my first few tries to tank as PLD at 50 I did some nice WP and AK runs in my level 70 weapon, level 60 gear with some macros taken from Bluegartr. Weirdly enough, I didn't have too much problems holding hate against two relic+1 DPSs. I think they did hold back a bit, but it's just the way it has to be at this point.

My greatest enemy now is Regen. As a former healer, I know not to Regen on pull, but this relic WHM just kept doing it and got aggro every second pull. As I'm playing on console, it's such a bother to get this buff off me. :( I told him to please stop it, as he was just so much better geared than me, and at first he seemed to understand, but then just kept doing it. I think he trolled me. Having a relic does funny things to some people.

Anyway, tanking is much more fun than healing. Now on to Curtana. Any tipps on Titan from a tank perspective? I'm used to running around and dodging in that fight, not taking a tableflip to the face.

depward

My greatest enemy now is Regen. As a former healer, I know not to Regen on pull, but this relic WHM just kept doing it and got aggro every second pull. As I'm playing on console, it's such a bother to get this buff off me. :( I told him to please stop it, as he was just so much better geared than me, and at first he seemed to understand, but then just kept doing it. I think he trolled me. Having a relic does funny things to some people.

I like to try to time my regen on the tank to expire right as the mob dies (with stoneskin popping at the same time). I like to think I'm really good at it.

Victrix

*beard*
Regen causing initial aggro on pulls is a really bad quality of life issue. It's also something I'd expect them to ignore for ages :/

impulse drive at lower levels when you do not have access to full thrust has more potency than just a true thrust -> vorpal blade combo.

Disembowl which is a later combo attack from impulse drive reduces piercing resistance by 10%. This not only affects you but bard damage as well so it's useful if you're running with a bard.

The 10% dmg of heavy thrust also stacks with DoTs, so fracture and phlebotimize gain additional damage from it so it's useful to use. If you want to be nitpicky about it, you are wasting dps if you aren't keeping heavy thrust or disembowl up at all times. This is only meaningful in dungeons since you shouldn't be tanking and can get in to position. In a more 1-1 setting. tt->vt->ft can be used. Also remember that you can used off gcd abilities in between these combos so using life surge right before ft is really nice and jump whenever you can will get you some more dmg while waiting for the gcd.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just looking at the base math this is false. As I said before, damage per time cost, fracture still beats Full Thrust combo in damage. In mechanic heavy fights it's also great, simply fucking great, to have high damage that only uses one skill. The TP cost is irrelevant. You never run out of TP as a dragoon unless you're doing AE. period.

1. Start up parser
  2. Go to combat dummy
  3. do your full fracture rotation for 3 minutes
  4. Do your non-fracture rotation for 3 minutes
  5. Look at DPS and realize fracture is hindering your more than helping

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Right click the regen icon before pulling when running with one of those.

Velk

Neo Member
There's nothing broken about it. It's healing HP, healing HP causes enmity.

It's not "broken" per se, it's just really annoying to have to stop and click regen off every time before pulling anything.

If you want a logical basis for changing it, if regen ticks and the tank is at full health, it has not actually *done* anything yet, why would it make the creatures angry ?

Personally I'm in favor of an across the board reduction to enmity generated from overhealing, as it seems to unnecessarily penalise crit rate, but barring that, an exception for regen specifically seems to be in order, just from the quality of life perspective.

Aeana

It's not "broken" per se, it's just really annoying to have to stop and click regen off every time before pulling anything.

If you want a logical basis for changing it, if regen ticks and the tank is at full health, it has not actually *done* anything yet, why would it make the creatures angry ?

Personally I'm in favor of an across the board reduction to enmity generated from overhealing, as it seems to unnecessarily penalise crit rate, but barring that, an exception for regen specifically seems to be in order, just from the quality of life perspective.
WHM is my main, and I don't have a problem with the way things are right now at all. It's all part of learning to play your class well. Don't put regen on someone at the end of a battle, or before a pull. It's pretty simple.

Lain

Can a healer give me pointers for Titan HM?
I watched a video, but it didn't really help me much, mostly because the video wasn't from a healer pov and camera is usually positioned in ways that don't help me because it doesn't show what I was looking for to get the gist of the fight (where are the healers, what are they doing, where/when are they moving).

I understand that you have to move somewhere to avoid bombs, have to move somewhere to dodge plumes, move anywhere to dodge the dmg+pushback ability and throw out a lot of aoe healing, but before I even try to get into a DF Titan HM run, I'd like to know where to stand during the fight and where I should move during bombs/plumes, to have a better chance at survival and therefore a better chance to learn the whole fight.

Mandoric

Banned
I watched a video, but it didn't really help me much, mostly because the video wasn't from a healer pov and camera is usually positioned in ways that don't help me because it doesn't show what I was looking for to get the gist of the fight (where are the healers, what are they doing, where/when are they moving).

I understand that you have to move somewhere to avoid bombs, have to move somewhere to dodge plumes, move anywhere to dodge the dmg+pushback ability and throw out a lot of aoe healing, but before I even try to get into a DF Titan HM run, I'd like to know where to stand during the fight and where I should move during bombs/plumes, to have a better chance at survival and therefore a better chance to learn the whole fight.

Plumes: Move off of them, full stop. They spawn directly under players, so don't stand inside a circle of players or you may get surrounded.

Bombs: Spawn in three patterns
Clock: bombs spawn around the outside, then one falls in middle. The bomb on the outside will be lettered in order that they will go off, when they do start going off run to the earliest letter/first to blow

X: Fall in an X pattern, run to one of the spots market by a dot in ※

Lines: Spawn in three lines of three, middle line first, like
 | 
| 
  |
You want to run to the last side to spawn, wait for the middle to blow, then run all the way to the far side immediately (it will blow while you're in the middle and then the last side will blow once you've escaped).

clock/lines can be hard to distinguish. if the first bomb falls in the middle it's lines.

I'm not a healer, but the dodging is similar for heals and ranged dps.

falastini

I'll throw in that you need to be mindful of when the table flip happens. It does major damage to the tank, and will most likely wipe him if not topped off.

This is after the heart phase... He will landslide > punch+auto > table flip. So you need to be mindful of the tank after you see a landslide go off. Even if he's topped off during landslide, he will take some damage before the table flip goes off, so you need to be ready to top him off asap. I can't really give any other healer advice, as I haven't played one on Titan HM.

Ken

yay

jbfmUMIMsJd3oW.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom