• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

Hey guys, could I join the gaf LS on Ragnarok server? WHM 50 over here, still need to do Titan for the relic weapon though. My name on the server is Bran'th Nunh. Should I just /tell the people listed in the OP?

DJIzana

The NPC and Quest data were in the last update. They just have to flip the switch on their end to release the madness.

I wish they would bring back meaningful FF characters more than shove this Lightning person down everybody's throat multiple times.

I'd love to see some FF Tactics characters. That would be a godsend!

KeRaSh

Haha! A bunch of idiots tried to trick my brother after an Ifrit's Bow dropped. He finally saw a drop and rolled a 68 and then waited. Another BRD and a BLM just stood there until they both told my brother to just leave. He refused. They then went on to tell him that the other BRD already rolled a 98 so there's no point staying.
After calling their weak bluff and telling them that it was his 17s attempt they just rolled (a 2 - suckers!) and left.

I know some people had some horrible luck with drop RNG but that's just low...
Anyways... Did two WP runs with some GAFfers and started leveling Botanist... to Lv 2...
My leve allowance is at 100. Should I just start doing leves or do I whack away at trees for a few levels? I got 22 XP from hitting a Lv 1 node at Lv 1. That is not much.

Mature

Haha! A bunch of idiots tried to trick my brother after an Ifrit's Bow dropped. He finally saw a drop and rolled a 68 and then waited. Another BRD and a BLM just stood there until they both told my brother to just leave. He refused. They then went on to tell him that the other BRD already rolled a 98 so there's no point staying.
After calling their weak bluff and telling them that it was his 17s attempt they just rolled (a 2 - suckers!) and left.

Anyways... Did two WP runs with some GAFfers and started leveling Botanist... to Lv 2...
My leve allowance is at 100. Should I just start doing leves or do I whack away at trees for a few levels? I got 22 XP from hitting a Lv 1 node at Lv 1. That is not much.
I love seeing justice served.

Whack at trees for a bit to gather some shards to sell and then start doing leves, they reward a ton of exp.

frequency

You're gonna have to explain this one
expand please.

Not really sure what to say. Whether you like her or not, she's an actual written character. Many of the classics are kind of just a caricature of an idea.

Maybe it is because I played them when I was younger? But like, what can I really say about Edgar and his character growth and development? Do I have much to say about Faris? Not really. I like them but I just feel they're not as written. It was more here is an idea of a character with a basic outline, and the rest is up to your imagination.

Not that all of them are that way. Just many seem to be. Though it may also be because story telling has gotten more complex over the years.

Are you trying to say Lightning isn't just an archetype??????
http://i.imgur.com/CyLHd7q.jpg
Yes, I find her deeper.

I don't mean to be confrontational. I just wanted to kind of say, "Hey Square isn't completely out of touch! It appeals to some of us."

Sorian

Banned
Not really sure what to say. Whether you like her or not, she's an actual written character. Many of the classics are kind of just a caricature of an idea.

Maybe it is because I played them when I was younger? But like, what can I really say about Edgar and his character growth and development? Do I have much to say about Faris? Not really. I like them but I just feel they're not as written. It was more here is an idea of a character with a basic outline, and the rest is up to your imagination.

Not that all of them are that way. Just many seem to be. Though it may also be because story telling has gotten more complex over the years.

Yes, I find her deeper.

I think many of us think of FF6(NA)-FF9 characters.

Oh and you did say Edgar, must have missed that, such a meh choice from 6 tho.

Princepeach

Neo Member
Do I have much to say about Faris? Not really. I like them but I just feel they're not as written. It was more here is an idea of a character with a basic outline, and the rest is up to your imagination.

I basically agree with you, but it's funny you mention Faris specifically. I feel like she is the classic character that has the most in common with Lightning.
Though going about it in different ways, they both take on new names to disassociate themselves with something in their past. When the truth about this is revealed, neither of them "revert" to their old selves like videogame characters are notoriously prone to do. They both continue on under the identity they had chosen for themselves.

I think Faris is pretty neat as well though.

Alucrid

Banned

Yes, I find her deeper.

I don't mean to be confrontational. I just wanted to kind of say, "Hey Square isn't completely out of touch! It appeals to some of us."

I play 13 and 13-2 and all I got out of it was

13 - pouty pout pout
13-2 - has feathers
13-3 - pole dances

Marceles

The lag is unbearable today, worst it's ever been for me.

It's been like that for me since two maintenances ago. I don't know what's going on but it makes less and less confident about doing dungeons and sticking to crafting/gathering until February.

Kenai

Snowe is my least favorite character of the cast of 13 so as you might guess I'm not super thrilled about the costume. Should be a Sazh costume with an afro and a chocobo chick in it for guys, and Chocolina for the gals (aka best character from 13).

The weapons look interesting tho.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I play 13 and 13-2 and all I got out of it was

13 - pouty pout pout
13-2 - has feathers
13-3 - pole dances

Her clothing shrinks every time she comes back.

Hard to see a character as "deep" when they are whoring her out more and more each unwanted iteration.

studyguy

I don't know guys... I've found a vast majority of the Final Fantasy characters to be incredibly one dimensional, even as far back as the SNES. I mean some of them are clearly more fleshed out than others, but they're still painted with pretty god damn broad strokes.

Anyway, all the dislike/like of characters is sort of silly when it all comes down to personal opinion.

adixon

I don't think really deep character development has ever been at the heart of final fantasy. Often to define the ensemble casts the games depend more on great character design and music to define each personality, rather than lots of dialog and nuanced character development.

What's definitely missing from XIII for me is the quirkiness and comedy which combines with the sense of mystery they always craft to create a hard to imitate feeling of adventure, of a unique human world unfolding before your eyes. I can't explain why the comedy feels like such an important part, but I'm pretty sure that's a big void I'm feeling in a lot of recent games, not just final fantasy. I actually really enjoyed some of the writing in XIV (if not the voice acting).

Princepeach

Neo Member
Her clothing shrinks every time she comes back.

Hard to see a character as "deep" when they are whoring her out more and more each unwanted iteration.

This is why I prefer to view Final Fantasy (insert number)-2 as doujin games. FFX-2 did some dumb things with the world of X, then IV-2 and XIII-2 do some similarly wackadoo things with the worlds established in their parent games.

They're fun and all, but in each case it seems like the developers are mostly just taking the opportunity to kinda play around.

studyguy

This is why I prefer to view Final Fantasy (insert number)-2 as doujin games. FFX-2 did some dumb things with the world of X, then IV-2 and XIII-2 do some similarly wackadoo things with the worlds established in their parent games.

They're fun and all, but in each case it seems like the developers are mostly just taking the opportunity to kinda play around.

Aye, I honestly get tired of the XIII bashing.
If you don't like it, it's fine, but people play it up like it's the ultimate travesty and that SE is forever ruined in their eyes. Yet XV drops or KHIII gets a promo and suddenly it's a complete 180.

I don't care for those radical shifts of opinions, much like I don't care for certain titles in the series. I just don't go out of my way to gripe about it to everyone in earshot. XIII itself is apparently successful enough to warrant some re-releases. That's basically the end of it for me.

I won't play them and I frankly don't care.

WolvenOne

So, I currently have 6604HP before the party bonus as a Warrior, and presumably sometime in the next two-three days I'm going to stumble upon that magical group and Beat Titan.

What I want to know, is whether or not I should continue saving my Myth Tomes for my Warrior Chest piece, or, if I should just grab what I can afford now, and assume that I'll be able to play enough of Coil to pick up a few Allagan tanking pieces?

adixon

So, I currently have 6604HP before the party bonus as a Warrior, and presumably sometime in the next two-three days I'm going to stumble upon that magical group and Beat Titan.

What I want to know, is whether or not I should continue saving my Myth Tomes for my Warrior Chest piece, or, if I should just grab what I can afford now, and assume that I'll be able to play enough of Coil to pick up a few Allagan tanking pieces?

Warrior chest piece drops in turn 1 -- I wouldn't get that first, but I've not played a tank so feel free to ignore me.

here's a link for allagan drops by turn.

Is this Tia? I'll help with Titan today if you need a healer, let me know when you're doing it. (This is Talis.)

WolvenOne

Warrior chest piece drops in turn 1 -- I wouldn't get that first, but I've not played a tank so feel free to ignore me.

here's a link for allagan drops by turn.

Is this Tia? I'll help with Titan today if you need a healer, let me know when you're doing it. (This is Talis.)

Oh, if there's a high probability to the chest piece dropping during the first turn, then saving up for the Relic+1 chest piece at this point probably doesn't make sense. Might as well grab whatever items I can to make Titan smoother.

Edit: And yes, this is Tia. XD

Lyonaz

Doing a lot of Brayflox for that sexy Battlemage set and my last run we got 100% caster loot, I felt bad for the tank guy, who was awesome btw. Only got the robe and gloves, million more runs to go I guess.

WolvenOne

Doing a lot of Brayflox for that sexy Battlemage set and my last run we got 100% caster loot, I felt bad for the tank guy, who was awesome btw. Only got the robe and gloves, million more runs to go I guess.

I really hope they loosen up the restrictions on what can and cannot be resold in future updates. I know they're trying to give people incentive to run dungeons over and over, but, honestly since you don't always know what can be sold or converted until after you've grabbed it, you tend to be put into positions where you have to just, "discard," perfectly good armor, that other players would give their teeth for.

Valus

So I haven't been following the console wars much (too much hype) but I remember seeing something about the PS4 requiring $50/yr for online. Does that mean I'll have to pay an extra $50/yr just to play this game on that console?

Mileena

Banned
So I haven't been following the console wars much (too much hype) but I remember seeing something about the PS4 requiring $50/yr for online. Does that mean I'll have to pay an extra $50/yr just to play this game on that console?

no

F2P/subs don't require PS+. Sony is not MS.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I've heard that a lot of the MMOs will be in front of the paywall. (meaning you don't have to pay PSplus to play)

PSplus is a fantastic value though and I would highly recommend it if you do any console gaming and want free games.

Marceles

You don't need PS Plus for FFXIV I don't think, and $50 is like 3 months of FFXIV play.

pitbull

Banned

nope it doesnt require... itd just be wierd to spend that much on a game console that wont work right tho :/

WolvenOne

PS:

When they finally institute Vanity Slots, how many of you are planning to use the Battle Mage and/or Calvary sets, over your real armor?

Taruranto

Can a healer give me pointers for Titan HM?
I watched a video, but it didn't really help me much, mostly because the video wasn't from a healer pov and camera is usually positioned in ways that don't help me because it doesn't show what I was looking for to get the gist of the fight (where are the healers, what are they doing, where/when are they moving).

I understand that you have to move somewhere to avoid bombs, have to move somewhere to dodge plumes, move anywhere to dodge the dmg+pushback ability and throw out a lot of aoe healing, but before I even try to get into a DF Titan HM run, I'd like to know where to stand during the fight and where I should move during bombs/plumes, to have a better chance at survival and therefore a better chance to learn the whole fight.

SCH or WHM?

Either way LEARN THE PATTERN and pre-cast Medica/Succor before stomps. Also LEARN THE PATTERN.

studyguy

PS:

When they finally institute Vanity Slots, how many of you are planning to use the Battle Mage and/or Calvary sets, over your real armor?

Still fond of the Templar set from 1.0
lodestone-topics-NMs-buffalo-templar-gear.jpg

falastini

I'd say the +1 weapon is not a priority on tanks, you should look into getting some armor first. Paladins typically get +1 because shield gives them some block and only costs 300(?) myths.

As for warriors... I opted to get a few pieces of AF2 first, and I haven't had any trouble keeping hate yet. That's probably the main benefit of the weapon is increased enmity. It's true that allagan body drops in turn 1 coil but, thanks to our darklight being retarded 1-piece items, even if you luck out and get an allagan body quickly, you will still have to replace the head piece. Do whatever you feel is the best upgrade path for you. I would say look onto some more mitigation before opting for the upgrade to weapon.

Valus

Thanks for the responses guys, I was worried about that. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to wait it out for that version or just buy the PC version.

Speaking of that, does PC have the same issues as PS3? Like for example I was doing Cutter's Cry the other day and the final boss' eyes turned blue so I haul ass (melee) and run for it. On my screen I'm clearly outside the red circle and practically hugging the wall but I still get smashed. It's mega frustrating because people talk crap and say stop sucking and what not, but I don't know what I can do. The moment I see any red circle or indication of a special attack I just make a break for it, but I still eat the pain more often than I feel I should be.

Elusive Jump is absolute garbage as it seems it doesn't register your new location until it's too late, so that doesn't help.

aceface

Thanks for the responses guys, I was worried about that. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to wait it out for that version or just buy the PC version.

Speaking of that, does PC have the same issues as PS3? Like for example I was doing Cutter's Cry the other day and the final boss' eyes turned blue so I haul ass (melee) and run for it. On my screen I'm clearly outside the red circle and practically hugging the wall but I still get smashed. It's mega frustrating because people talk crap and say stop sucking and what not, but I don't know what I can do. The moment I see any red circle or indication of a special attack I just make a break for it, but I still eat the pain more often than I feel I should be.

Elusive Jump is absolute garbage as it seems it doesn't register your new location until it's too late, so that doesn't help.

On PS3 you almost have to learn to anticipate patterns on bosses to get out of stuff. It sucks; you learn to deal with it. Obviously if you have a high end PC you are going to be better off but people still have issues with latency and lag even then. I know for PC there is supposed to be a latency fix that helps.

WolvenOne

I'd say the +1 weapon is not a priority on tanks, you should look into getting some armor first. Paladins typically get +1 because shield gives them some block and only costs 300(?) myths.

As for warriors... I opted to get a few pieces of AF2 first, and I haven't had any trouble keeping hate yet. That's probably the main benefit of the weapon is increased enmity. It's true that allagan body drops in turn 1 coil but, thanks to our darklight being retarded 1-piece items, even if you luck out and get an allagan body quickly, you will still have to replace the head piece. Do whatever you feel is the best upgrade path for you. I would say look onto some more mitigation before opting for the upgrade to weapon.

Well, I can farm Phil Tomes reasonably quickly these days. Only takes about 30 minutes to run AK, and a little less to run WP, (Much faster if the DPS have good AoE, and better armor would certainly help there as well.)

So the main bottleneck are Myth Tomes. I have enough of those now to buy the WAR Gloves, and would have a few hundred Tomes to spare. (Also I have about 140 Myth Tomes to go before I hit this weeks Cap.)

I guess the real question is, whether I'd have enough Myth Tomes left left after buying the Gloves, to buy the Helmet once/if the Allagan chest piece drops. I think I would, by early next week, but without a price chart in front of me, I just couldn't say for certain.

Edit:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2224978/ <- Here are the current items I have equipped.

dcye

On PS3 you almost have to learn to anticipate patterns on bosses to get out of stuff. It sucks; you learn to deal with it. Obviously if you have a high end PC you are going to be better off but people still have issues with latency and lag even then. I know for PC there is supposed to be a latency fix that helps.

LATENCY FIX!? HOW DO I GET MY HANDS ON THIS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom