• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

rykomatsu

Moon Miqo'te /taunt macro is so cute :)
taunt_vividorrin.png

DJIzana

I don't know why you guys like to play popular/easy classes, it's not like you have a lot of stuffs to do in the game. :p

Yep... hence why I level up multiple characters. I enjoy that. Also... I don't really pick the popular / easy classes. I pick the classes that I've generally chosen throughout playing MMO's. xD

orion434

Gained 2 levels of Alchemist and I still have 1/3 of a bar of Rest bonus EXP! This weekend I plan to pick-up where I left off in the story before the Crafting bug got me!

lol I ran out of wind shards last night when I was leveling Goldsmith. Had to actually buy some last night since I didn't want to farm them last night. Now I'm actually farming them so I won't run into this problem tonight when I level Goldsmith to 50.

Just hit the Brayflox dungeon last night on my Scholar, and despite three duty finder groups that failed horribly on the frog boss, I managed to clear it on my fourth try and had a ton of fun doing it.

It feels like the damage jumped massively in this dungeon compared to everything before it and there is finally some damage for me to heal. I was OK with the previous dungeons and quite liked some of the designs, but there simply was not much to heal to the point I was dpsing the entire time.

Shortly after I did Titan and that was a blast, too (loved the music). Same story, went through DF got a bunch of fail groups. In the end some GAFers helped out and we one shot it.

Having a blast with the game so far and taking my time with the crafting as well. Almost have all crafts at 20 now. Really looking forward to the next dungeon(s) and eventually the end game!

Wow shard farming goes by faster than expected. 30 min nets me about almost 500 shards. It helps in an area that has elemental resistance + 1 yield though.

Yea I thought the difficulty jump to Brayflox was pretty noticeable. But after you run it a couple of times and you get a feel for it it becomes more manageable. If you ever need a tank for any of the upcoming dungeons I'll gladly help out if I'm on. I'm Ebony Falcon. If it weren't for a couple of gaffers last night I would have never finished The Stone Vigil (It was ultra clutch!!)

Just hit the Brayflox dungeon last night on my Scholar, and despite three duty finder groups that failed horribly on the frog boss, I managed to clear it on my fourth try and had a ton of fun doing it.

It feels like the damage jumped massively in this dungeon compared to everything before it and there is finally some damage for me to heal. I was OK with the previous dungeons and quite liked some of the designs, but there simply was not much to heal to the point I was dpsing the entire time.

Shortly after I did Titan and that was a blast, too (loved the music). Same story, went through DF got a bunch of fail groups. In the end some GAFers helped out and we one shot it.

Having a blast with the game so far and taking my time with the crafting as well. Almost have all crafts at 20 now. Really looking forward to the next dungeon(s) and eventually the end game!

How do you resize the UI? I only see options to rearrange, not resize.

edit: on PC

When you have the UI screen up, select any part of the UI and I think CTRL+HOME is the default key combo for resize. Each press will toggle between small, medium (normal), and large. I changed the shortcut for this so I'm not 100% sure on the command. You can look up what it is in your key bindings.

Yea I thought the difficulty jump to Brayflox was pretty noticeable. But after you run it a couple of times and you get a feel for it it becomes more manageable. If you ever need a tank for any of the upcoming dungeons I'll gladly help out if I'm on. I'm Ebony Falcon. If it weren't for a couple of gaffers last night I would have never finished The Stone Vigil (It was ultra clutch!!)

Thanks, mine is Chubby Midget :)

I didn't think it was a difficult dungeon, just that compared to previous ones there's lots more to heal even with a tank that has gear that's up to date.

Do you guys think Brayflox is worth running more than once? I saw someone mention it drops the Battlemage set but not so sure how useful that would be for a healer...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Question as a fresh-ish Level 50. Should I spend my tomes of philosophy asap for DL-gear before attempting my Relic quest?

Question as a fresh-ish Level 50. Should I spend my tomes of philosophy asap for DL-gear before attempting my Relic quest?

You should start the relic quest right away. Then, you can alternate between farming for more tomes, doing what you can on the relic quest, and upgrading with dungeon drops and DL-gear. Then, by the time you are on Titan HM as part of the relic, you will hopefully be geared for it!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You should start the relic quest right away. Then, you can alternate between farming for more tomes, doing what you can on the relic quest, and upgrading with dungeon drops and DL-gear. Then, by the time you are on Titan HM as part of the relic, you will hopefully be geared for it!

My next step will be doing Ampador Keep and from what I hear, I'll need epic gear haha.

My next step will be doing Ampador Keep and from what I hear, I'll need epic gear haha.

Have you started the quest yet? AK definitely doesn't require epic gear to clear, it just makes it go much faster. Do you at least have your GC ilvl 55 weapon? Or your relic quest weapon? That plus AF or WP drops is sufficient. If possible, get someone in your FC to help with your first run through, I know that made it much more stress free for me.

studyguy

Everyone in this game overblows the gear requirements by a huge margin.
If you went by what people said, you couldn't finish CM/Prae without relics or darklight

You can run up to Titan in AF and some primal weapons, no joke.
Guess what legacy players did?

Valus

Wow shard farming goes by faster than expected. 30 min nets me about almost 500 shards. It helps in an area that has elemental resistance + 1 yield though.

Can you elaborate on this please? I need to farm lightning shards (damn you yarn/cloth crafts) but didn't think it mattered where I did it. Both my gatherers are around level 35 right now. What is that +1 yield you're referring to and where should I be farming lightning shards for it?

rykomatsu

I didn't think it was a difficult dungeon, just that compared to previous ones there's lots more to heal even with a tank that has gear that's up to date.

Do you guys think Brayflox is worth running more than once? I saw someone mention it drops the Battlemage set but not so sure how useful that would be for a healer...

I ran brayflox 18x for Battlemage as a healer (was in your titan grp last night). I think I used the set up to lvl 48 or so...thought it was worth it. Looks awesome to boot!

Jayhawk

Can you elaborate on this please? I need to farm lightning shards (damn you yarn/cloth crafts) but didn't think it mattered where I did it. Both my gatherers are around level 35 right now. What is that +1 yield you're referring to and where should I be farming lightning shards for it?

Some logging/mining spots will have +1 yield for each successful attempt. For lightning shards, there is one spot in areas with lightning crystals if my memory serves me correctly... so Central Thanalan for Botanist and Southern Thanalan for Miner.

WolvenOne

Yeah, that was a fun little boss fight wasn't it. Did my heart good to see Titan go down so fast, after being stomped by Titan HM so many times. XD

Great Sword using class. Dark Knight and Mystic Knight as jobs? Yesplz.
I wonder what they're going to do for thief. GLDs already have knives, are they just going to make a different class of knife?
Sometimes I miss how XI did things. Each class had a few weapon specialties. DRK could use Great Swords, Scythes, Axes, etc. And while each class had its main weapon, there were situations where you would need to use another.

SkyOdin

If they ever gave us a FFV style Mystic Knight, I would so use it.

It is the most likely DPS Galdiator variant I can think of. Something that uses MP to boost damage output combined with using Riot Blade to recover that MP.

I wonder what they're going to do for thief. GLDs already have knives, are they just going to make a different class of knife?
Sometimes I miss how XI did things. Each class had a few weapon specialties. DRK could use Great Swords, Scythes, Axes, etc. And while each class had its main weapon, there were situations where you would need to use another.

Probably throwing weapons. Moon Rings, Hawkeyes, Boomerangs, and so on have been a pretty major staple of Thief weaponry at places in the series. There are also unusual weapons like the FF V Double Lance or Zidane's Thief Swords.

Or they could just go for dual-wielding daggers being a weapon type.

falastini

They missed a chance to fix their class/job structure. Jobs should have been level 20 or even level 10. It would have been easier to make each job it's own unique archetype, instead of having to rely on all those class skills. Imagine they want to design a dps job for WAR or PLD... you have a bunch of useless skills from 1-30 that cater to tanking. It's harder to design around those abilities. Same thing with pretty much all the classes.

WolvenOne

It is the most likely DPS Galdiator variant I can think of. Something that uses MP to boost damage output combined with using Riot Blade to recover that MP.

Probably throwing weapons. Moon Rings, Hawkeyes, Boomerangs, and so on have been a pretty major staple of Thief weaponry at places in the series. There are also unusual weapons like the FF V Double Lance or Zidane's Thief Swords.

Or they could just go for dual-wielding daggers being a weapon type.

I'd vote for the later.

If they're good enough for Zidane, they're good enough for me. XD

DrDogg

I have a SCH/SMN, WHM and BLM. I used most of the Battlemage set for every one of those jobs. I never used the hat or the feet though. I prefer the other mage Brayflox drop for both slots, the pink full stat versions.

I'm now on Sunken Temple and have already swapped out the feet pieces, and the body piece looks better as well, although I haven't won the lot for that yet.

One thing that I think makes Blayflox more difficult is the fact that crowd control and gear actually starts to matter. Your tank can't roll in with level 20 gear and expect to do well there, and your DPS needs to be marginally on point for the first and last boss (especially if you don't have a BRD for mage's ballad).

And if you thought Blayflox was a jump in difficulty, go do Sunken Temple. It's almost night and day as far as I'm concerned... although still manageable once you know what to do, especially with the little trick against the first boss.

Dunlop

Is there some secret sauce to leveling at the early stage?

I know most modern MMO's spoil you but I just hit 12 on my Conjurer and it is freaking painful as the quests themselves are not particularly exciting.

Also is the GAF guild on Ultros closed? I sent a bunch of tells to people to ask if there was an officer online and would not get any responses

..then I felt like some kind of weirdo stalker so gave up :p

not a huge deal if it is, so far I am underwhelmed with the game. I am hoping it picks up once I can heal dungeon runs which is my bread and butter (die hard raider at heart)

dramatis

I know most modern MMO's spoil you but I just hit 12 on my Conjurer and it is freaking painful as the quests themselves are not particularly exciting.

not a huge deal if it is, so far I am underwhelmed with the game. I am hoping it picks up once I can heal dungeon runs which is my bread and butter (die hard raider at heart)
There's actually a bunch of people who don't really chat with FC that are in the FC for some benefits. Rather than asking FC members through tells, it's better to just contact the officers or to use the guildwork site listed in the OP.

Use FATEs to level up, party with people and you'll get higher rankings on FATEs that dump more exp on you.

Weapon creativity really isn't a problem. They only need to look sideways at Dynasty Warriors.

Valus

Some logging/mining spots will have +1 yield for each successful attempt. For lightning shards, there is one spot in areas with lightning crystals if my memory serves me correctly... so Central Thanalan for Botanist and Southern Thanalan for Miner.

Thanks for the response! I looked up these yields and found this post on the official forums from a few days ago:

This 'resistance > x' condition giving +1 yield is a property i've only found on the lv30 'crystal' nodes. These nodes appear anywhere you can mine crystals at lv30.

So look at your gathering log for BTN and MIN and look up crystals at lv30 and you'll have the locations for all 12 (1 for each of the 6 elements for BTN and MIN) nodes that have this. I have MIN up to 50 and i've not found another node like this.

Many places have +1 gathering attempt, but only these specific 'shard nodes' have a +1 yield.

I won't be able to confirm it until later but if it's true then that's some pretty handy information to have for shard gatherers.

DrDogg

Also is the GAF guild on Ultros closed? I sent a bunch of tells to people to ask if there was an officer online and would not get any responses

..then I felt like some kind of weirdo stalker so gave up :p

To be fair, you're playing a healing class and have yet to get to any real party-based content. You should at least get up to maybe the Maw dungeon (24) before you determine if you're going to stick with the game, but it really does start to pick up the higher in level you get.

Dunlop

To be fair, you're playing a healing class and have yet to get to any real party-based content. You should at least get up to maybe the Maw dungeon (24) before you determine if you're going to stick with the game, but it really does start to pick up the higher in level you get.

Oh I know, I always play a healer, it just felt like I went back a decade in questing systems.

The biggest reason I jumped on board is it is MMO with a LFG tool AND still uses the Trinity ; )

I am curious about the whole multiclass system as when as the trade classes. It seems very interesting.

The game itself looks quite nice

Rather than asking FC members through tells, it's better to just contact the officers or to use the guildwork site listed in the OP.

lol, not sure how I missed that. I even went to the Steam group that was in the OP. I was pretty KO'd on meds for my back yesterday so I will use that as my excuse....

I'll try to do some fate farming to get me past the hump, thx

pablito

yeah. playing a love halberd/tomoe sam/war or sam/drg was one of the most fun things ever for me. and i'm sure kraken rngs/drks or yoichi + soboro sams had a lot of fun too. i have no idea if they could allow for that sort of thing in this game, but i hope so someday.

studyguy

Finished BC yesterday.
Now that T5 is up or will be up anyway, not looking forward to smashing on that brick wall for hours. Oh well.

Aeana

Finished BC yesterday.
Now that T5 is up or will be up anyway, not looking forward to smashing on that brick wall for hours. Oh well.

Part of me kinda wonders why most people bother, since it doesn't really seem beatable right now. I know some groups really want to be world first, but I guess I don't have that kind of ambition.

studyguy

Part of me kinda wonders why most people bother, since it doesn't really seem beatable right now. I know some groups really want to be world first, but I guess I don't have that kind of ambition.

People get really hostile about it. It boggles my mind that people get up in arms about a world first that no one cares about a month later.

Sounds like people have all but confirmed they've gotten to 10% and less however if you read around various online forums. It sounds like people can do it, but requires some luck on top of the obvious skill to pull it off. Honestly believe we'll see it brought down after the instance returns.

Abylim

So busy night for me! Doing my relic quest, just tried for Hydra kill, but my group decided to go kill ifrit, we one shot him, so we went to Garuda. One shot that! Just Titan left!

I'm guessing I need to gear up abit for that.

Aeana

So busy night for me! Doing my relic quest, just tried for Hydra kill, but my group decided to go kill ifrit, we one shot him, so we went to Garuda. One shot that! Just Titan left!

I'm guessing I need to gear up abit for that.

What's your gear like now?

WolvenOne

While I'm too far behind the curve to have a realistic hope of being part of that, "World First," clear. I certainly would be thrilled to be a part of it. XD

Well, too far behind the curve, plus, I suspect I'll have a hard time selling my Tanking services to various groups. WAR and all that, you know.

studyguy

Also met a guy in full WP gear and an ifrit bow last night in WP through DF after my FC broke for the night.

Said he thought he was ready for AK and Garuda for his relic, but he wasn't sure since he didn't have DL so he was going to keep doing WP till he had DL. Blew my mind that this guy who was pretty solid thought he was undergeared for content. Told him to just stop and run AK/Garuda immediately with a group he trusted.

I always wanted to see Dark Knight get implemented as a second Gladiator job. Just because it'd be a nice throwback to IV, with the Paladin/Dark Knight dichotomy

I would love a Greatsword using class though.

Yeah I still think that Dark Knight is gonna be a Gladiator job. Yoshi mentioned it multiple times when talking multi-job and it has the parallel to FFIV, from which he blatantly inspired his Dragoon.

Dark Knight will just have a sword (longsword, not greatsword) and no shield I bet. Possibly two hand the sword to go for that iconic Cecil DRK stance that Sephiroth later used.

I think people expecting every job to be based on what the XI version did may be disappointed. It seems to me IV, VI and Tactics are Yoshi's influences (which is also why I think Thief into Ninja is a damn good possibility).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom