• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baliis

Dark Knight will just have a sword (longsword, not greatsword) and no shield I bet. Possibly two hand the sword to go for that iconic Cecil DRK stance that Sephiroth later used.

I wouldn't mind seeing an offensive shield user. Give them some crazy looking spiked shields or something with some shield slam attacks, could be neat.

I did 3v3 arenas in WoW at different times with a prot warrior and prot pally and always liked the shield based attacks, so I'd love to see something like that be an actual DPS class.

pitbull

Banned
Yeah I still think that Dark Knight is gonna be a Gladiator job. Yoshi mentioned it multiple times when talking multi-job and it has the parallel to FFIV, from which he blatantly inspired his Dragoon.

Dark Knight will just have a sword (longsword, not greatsword) and no shield I bet. Possibly two hand the sword to go for that iconic Cecil DRK stance that Sephiroth later used.

I think people expecting every job to be based on what the XI version did may be disappointed. It seems to me IV, VI and Tactics are Yoshi's influences (which is also why I think Thief into Ninja is a damn good possibility).

o_O use two hands on a little sword? I'd probably just unsub if they did that. DRK is the only reason I'm here. I'm satisfied with monk for the time being but I'm not into the chi freedom fighter crap.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Mostly i lvl 55.
I just hit 50, and have been hammering away at relic.

Probably have a few weeks ahead of you before you can get Titan down. (unless you get carried)

Just keep farming away for darklight gear and make sure you are capping at 300 myth tomes per week.

studyguy

YoshiP has used the Paladin/Dark Knight split example for job trees for AGES now. I wouldn't be surprised to see DRK return through GLD with two-handed. Only question is how the old skills would stack since WAR is basically stole a lot of the crit/lifesteal mechanics of the old XI DRK.

Much as I want it, I don't think we'll get a Greatsword base class for a while. I think we'll get a dual-dagger class first. We're really missing a thief job.

Probably have a few weeks ahead of you before you can get Titan down. (unless you get carried)

Just keep farming away for darklight gear and make sure you are capping at 300 myth tomes per week.

honestly all he needs is a mix of dark light and ak gear to carry his own weight. maybe a few days, maybe a week, certainly not a few weeks.

studyguy

Much as I want it, I don't think we'll get a Greatsword base class for a while. I think we'll get a dual-dagger class first. We're really missing a thief job.

No doubt, I honestly don't expect anymore than maybe one job before the expansion drops. I'm sure we'll see a ton of stuff when the expansion actually comes out, but till then, I don't forsee anything beyond the mentioned "scout" class/job YoshiP mentioned. Whatever that scouting job ends up being, who knows... THF probably fits in there, but we'll see I guess.

1.0 Pugulist was closer to THF in any case since they had steal and mug along with a SATA-like attack.

Speaking of being ready for Titan - I currently have 3190 pre-food, pre-party buff on my SCH (it's just under 3500 with the buffs). Is that enough to carry my own weight in Titan? If not I can upgrade my legs to DL, but I was hoping to save those tomes to get the relic as soon as Titan is downed.

Aeana

Speaking of being ready for Titan - I currently have 3190 pre-food, pre-party buff on my SCH (it's just under 3500 with the buffs). Is that enough to carry my own weight in Titan? If not I can upgrade my legs to DL, but I was hoping to save those tomes to get the relic as soon as Titan is downed.

~3400 for a healer on Titan is fine. Can get away with ~3250 if the rest of the party is decent.

Mandoric

Banned
o_O use two hands on a little sword? I'd probably just unsub if they did that. DRK is the only reason I'm here. I'm satisfied with monk for the time being but I'm not into the chi freedom fighter crap.

Wouldn't have to be that little. THM and CNJ both have the option of wand+shield or two-handing a big-ass staff.

I'd be really amused if the same patch also brought WAR some one-handed axe options.

Mechakira

Neo Member
As cool as that would be, I seriously doubt SE would give either of the tanking classes DPS jobs when tanks are still in such short supply.

pitbull

Banned
I was happy with the jobs they did in the early 11 xpacs, they were all very unique and all fairly fun to play... not sure if they still have what it takes but so far I like everything I've seen growth wise besides their planned progressions with updates but ya cant make everyone happy i guess

adixon

It might actually be better for them to go in a direction where the second job a class gets usually fills a different roll -- it would ease the problem of parties getting stuck without certain roles. I know I really enjoy healing/dps on an arcanist. So pugilist could also have a tank (ninja?) and marauder could have a dps branch, and maybe gladiator as well.

studyguy

Just going to pop in here to say that anyone who hasn't done guildhests should

Not sure why they had the most interesting battles simply be 100% optional
They show you how to actually do certain mechanics and throw curveballs at you that you never see in the actual storyline or BC, it's crazy how fun guildhests are.

They should have been normal content.
Not to mention a run from start to end will net you like 75k iirc.

Princepeach

Neo Member
It might actually be better for them to go in a direction where the second job a class gets usually fills a different roll -- it would ease the problem of parties getting stuck without certain roles. I know I really enjoy healing/dps on an arcanist. So pugilist could also have a tank (ninja?) and marauder could have a dps branch, and maybe gladiator as well.

Now see I like the idea of MNK having some sort of melee healer function, perhaps with a healing aura/party buff that is tied to greased lightning stacks or something. They've already got Mantra, which seems like a total healer ability, and it would give more utility to things like Fist of Earth/Wind.

I've rarely seen a healer-class that isn't relegated to staying at range. Having one that stays up in the thick of things would be really interesting.

I dunno what you'd name that job. Massage Therapist?

studyguy said:
Not sure why they had the most interesting battles simply be 100% optional
They show you how to actually do certain mechanics and throw curveballs at you that you never see in the actual storyline or BC, it's crazy how fun guildhests are.

They should have been normal content.

Absolutely this. I was so disappointed when I realized there weren't any more guildhests past level 40. Why aren't the encounters in the main game designed this well? Why aren't guildhests just strewn about the landscape? These were seriously the best part of the game for me.

People have two handed longswords before greatswords were even a thing in actual history, much less modern media. XD

I'm not saying there won't be a greatsword class, just that DRK won't be it. See FFIV and Tactics: War of the Lions for what I think DRK will be.

EDIT: I really like the idea above me. Other folks have theorized a Dancer 2nd job for PGL that gives them evasion tanking.

pitbull

Banned
People have two handed longswords before greatswords were even a thing in actual history, much less modern media. XD

I'm not saying there won't be a greatsword class, just that DRK won't be it. See FFIV and Tactics: War of the Lions for what I think DRK will be.

EDIT: I really like the idea above me. Other folks have theorized a Dancer 2nd job for PGL that gives them evasion tanking.

I think a lot of people really liked the drk style from 11 and a lot of people from 11 are playing this.

I think it would be less people pissed off if they went some type of 2 hander than if they went 1h'er.

The nostalgia is a big factor no matter which direction yoshi would like to do. It'll be interesting if they disregard 11 players for a theme though.

Taruranto

You'll really want enough HP to eat a bomb and survive in P5.

dcye

Saw a Lafalel PLD named Shortstack Meatshield today. Also; first run of Ifrit I ever did yielded the weapon I was after.

Today was a good day.

coughlanio

Finally got my Job class (PLD) and arrived at Falgourd Float. Really enjoying it so far, hope to get my Paladin to level 50 and geared up somewhat by the time 2.1 comes out (I'm not a hardcore player in terms of playtime).

Where's the cheapest places to get EU time cards?

Tomodachi

It's doable even at 3190 without food or non-healer equip if you can avoid every single hit in the last phase, I know I did. Just remember to dispel yourself from the ailment that comes after being freed from the gaeol ASAP, should it target you just before the terrible final stomps.

Ken

thanks guyssss!!

iQPFULpVCISht.png

Torquill

If there's a greatsword class I'll gladly drop my DRG

I wouldn't mind seeing an offensive shield user. Give them some crazy looking spiked shields or something with some shield slam attacks, could be neat.

I did 3v3 arenas in WoW at different times with a prot warrior and prot pally and always liked the shield based attacks, so I'd love to see something like that be an actual DPS class.
There is a precedent for a shield oriented class in FF3's Viking. It's more defensive tho. I always use Viking when I play 3. :)

A Chemist class would be great for a support class.

And they really should implement an element system in this. Fire/Blizzard/Aero/Thunder etc. might as well be called something else.

Khatoz

See, you guys do so much better when I'm not there.

You have done great on our runs Aeana, just need to practice more so you can have the confidence of spamming holy while only letting me die on the last few seconds the pack is alive just like Mira.... I hate him so much D:

Qvoth

What's your group composition?

blm (me) brd smn drg whm sch 2 pld
closest we got was maybe 5-10% hp left?
sometimes our tank instantly dies even when he had over 60% hp, that was weird

and we had a weird set up, basically the ranged people all stack together when the rot starts, with the person with rot standing away from the stacked group, and then just 1 person taking turns with the rot and stands away from the stack

this is where it gets weird, when we're all stacking, sometimes i see the rot debuff on me but after a while suddenly it disappears and gets replaced with the buff instead (this happens after we've all taken turns with the rot)

You have done great on our runs Aeana, just need to practice more so you can have the confidence of spamming holy while only letting me die on the last few seconds the pack is alive just like Mira.... I hate him so much D:

Either I let you die on WHM or I leave ballad on during AoE packs, you choose your poison!

But you pulled off that expert assassination on me earlier, Mira only dreams he could do that!

Welp, now I have something new to reach for.

Edit-- lol wtf Vero, finish those quest already. Feel like i've seen those quest active on your UI for 2 months now.

Aeana

blm (me) brd smn drg whm sch 2 pld
closest we got was maybe 5-10% hp left?
sometimes our tank instantly dies even when he had over 60% hp, that was weird

and we had a weird set up, basically the ranged people all stack together when the rot starts, with the person with rot standing away from the stacked group, and then just 1 person taking turns with the rot and stands away from the stack

this is where it gets weird, when we're all stacking, sometimes i see the rot debuff on me but after a while suddenly it disappears and gets replaced with the buff instead (this happens after we've all taken turns with the rot)
Well, once everybody has had rot, and you spaced out the initial passing well (~5 seconds or less on rot before passing each time), you can stay stacked up for the rest of the fight and it'll auto-pass when it's possible. The 40 second buff you get prevents it from passing early. This is provided you're passing between 5 people of course. This is a plenty valid strategy as long as everybody is capable of dodging the lasers and stuff.

As for your tank issue, yes, toward the end of the fight, damage starts coming in harder, and the boss gets more attacks. Healers have to be really vigilant at that point. With the route we usually take, the boss gets chain lightning and firestream toward the end, which can really hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom