• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Always worried I'll miss the coil run for one reason or another.
We have a god damn FC full of PLD and it's not hard to replace one for another.

FC full of tanks and healers. Oddly enough we're short on DD.

Marceles

Do you realize what this means? I finally beat that no good mother hubbing R$#@%$# windsocking %$#$%$% %^#@ pudding brained %$#@ %$#@ Titan HM!!!

Thanks to the Gaffer's that helped my through the fight too, I really couldn't have done it without you.

...You know what else this means?! My long national pugging nightmare is finally over! :D

Congrats, I still need to beat that no good mother hubbing R$#@%$# windsocking %$#$%$% %^#@ pudding brained %$#@ %$#@ Chimera, I've been extremely lazy on my relic quest

Aeana

So what did SE fix and break last night? Anything important?

• When accessing the inn’s The Unending Journey, certain cutscenes would not replay.
  • The client sometimes would not close out properly after the game was turned off.
  • In “The Binding Coil of Bahamut – Turn 5,” the monster would sometimes become immobile under certain circumstances.
  • Some graphics in the seasonal event “All Saints’ Wake” would not display properly if the “glare” graphics setting was selected under System Configuration.

Always worried I'll miss the coil run for one reason or another.
We have a god damn FC full of PLD and it's not hard to replace one for another.

FC full of tanks and healers. Oddly enough we're short on DD.

lol, my main LS was like this all the time. until they started leveling other classes up. everyone was tank or healer.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's really terrible.
We have enough Tanks and Healers to make up a whole other group to BC, but we lack the properly geared DD to do it.

I think we are more evenly split than you think.
The problem is the ratio of DPS to other tank or DPS to Healer needs to be 2:1. GAF seems to be closer to 1:1.

Your next major issue is the DPS needs to be geared, competent, and teachable. \
GAF seems to lose their minds when you tell them they are under-geared for content. They will rant, tell you how their uncle's friend's dogwalker was able to complete it with the exact same gear, and call you elitist.

This is why sometimes it's best to not be FC limited in your coil static search. Be open to other players on the server no matter which FC they are in.

studyguy

I think we are more evenly split than you think.
The problem is the ratio of DPS to other tank or DPS to Healer needs to be 2:1. GAF seems to be closer to 1:1.

Your next major issue is the DPS needs to be geared, competent, and teachable. \
GAF seems to lose their minds when you tell them they are under-geared for content. They will rant, tell you how their uncle's friend's dogwalker was able to complete it with the exact same gear, and call you elitist.

This is why sometimes it's best to not be FC limited in your coil static search. Be open to other players on the server no matter which FC they are in.

I'm not in the GAF FC.
Not even on your servers, guys.

WolvenOne

Yeah, I've gotta level a damage dealer at some point. Didn't really think about this until this morning, but hopefully the Relic Quest resets every time you level a new class up to level 50. <_<;;

I mean, seeing as a Relic Weapon sounds like almost a pre-requisite for effectively participating in Bahamuts Coil.

Edit: At least it sounds like it, until 2.1. I know new equipment is going to be made available by then.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yeah, I've gotta level a damage dealer at some point. Didn't really think about this until this morning, but hopefully the Relic Quest resets every time you level a new class up to level 50. <_<;;

I mean, seeing as a Relic Weapon sounds like almost a pre-requisite for effectively participating in Bahamuts Coil.

You can do a relic quest for any class that is lv 50. (you get all of them after the first from Geralt himself)

The issue is that you can only have 1 relic quest active at a time. Make sure you complete the relic quest before starting another or it is possible to loose progress.

WolvenOne

You can do a relic quest for any class that is lv 50. (you get all of them after the first from Geralt himself)

The issue is that you can only have 1 relic quest active at a time. Make sure you complete the relic quest before starting another or it is possible to loose progress.

Okay, good. Also that shouldn't be a problem, it'll be awhile before I have another combat class near level 50. Been really fixated on powering up my WAR.

Edit: Which reminds me, I really need to decide which damage dealing class to level up. I know Bard is at the highest demand right now, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right choice for me. XD

DrDogg

I think a lot of people really liked the drk style from 11 and a lot of people from 11 are playing this.

I think it would be less people pissed off if they went some type of 2 hander than if they went 1h'er.

The nostalgia is a big factor no matter which direction yoshi would like to do. It'll be interesting if they disregard 11 players for a theme though.

Except that YoshiP doesn't care what FFXI players want. See: Bard. :(

• When accessing the inn’s The Unending Journey, certain cutscenes would not replay.
  • The client sometimes would not close out properly after the game was turned off.
  • In “The Binding Coil of Bahamut – Turn 5,” the monster would sometimes become immobile under certain circumstances.
  • Some graphics in the seasonal event “All Saints’ Wake” would not display properly if the “glare” graphics setting was selected under System Configuration.

I wonder when they're going to stop calling it "emergency maintenance" and just refer to it as "weekly maintenance".

Also, I noticed a bug in which your saved gear slots will swap out gear if you have two of the same item (pink gear with different stats), and both are unused. I got two leg pieces for mages, one that I put on my BLM, another that I use for my SMN, SCH, and WHM. Until I actually started binding on one of them, it would randomly alternate between the two when I switched between my mage classes.

studyguy

Except that YoshiP doesn't care what FFXI players want. See: Bard. :(

To be fair, we asked for the jobs/classes to be thrown on their head ages ago.

492_1.jpg

ARC used to be a straight DD class, but when he asked it was okay to fundamentally change the core mechanics of the entire game. What did we say?
492_6.jpg

WolvenOne

BTW, on average how many days does it take to level a secondary class from 1 to 50? I mean I know how long it took me originally, but I didn't have double XP, and had a lot of side quests to help. XD

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
BTW, on average how many days does it take to level a secondary class from 1 to 50? I mean I know how long it took me originally, but I didn't have double XP, and had a lot of side quests to help. XD

I did mine in 2 weeks of casual fate grinding between coil and myth capping.

You can manage it in less than a week if you're primarily just FATE-grinding (and don't have to work or anything). Even 2-3 days might be enough for someone who plays very focused towards that goal for like 6-10 hours+ a day.

For normal play and schedules though---yeah, a week and a half or two sounds about right.

I can't stand FATE grinding and don't know how some people do it though...

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Two weeks huh. Well, I guess that makes my DD class decision somewhat important. XD

Just know that BRD is getting nerfed next patch and DRG/MNK and WAR are getting buffed.

Might factor into the class decision if you spend on that time on a BRD only to have them become something you didn't want them to be.

WolvenOne

Okay, looking at all the posts. I'll probably be a little over a week per class for me. Since I'm a working man, have social ties I desire to maintain, and still need to Cap Myth and such. Not too bad, and of course if I find I'm not enjoying a class I can always switch to something else before 50.

Tempted to try Lancer, since that's one of the classes I played during phase 2 of the beta.

That or Archer, since Bards are in such high demand.

WolvenOne

BTW, I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone know what the what the upcoming Buffs for WAR are? I thought I heard that they were planning to make seven changes, but I really didn't catch what those changes were going to be.

studyguy

BTW, I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone know what the what the upcoming Buffs for WAR are? I thought I heard that they were planning to make seven changes, but I really didn't catch what those changes were going to be.

Doesn't seem like there's anything absolutely solid about the changes, just a bunch of people posting out of their ass. Just wait for the actual update. Hopefully they match WAR up to PLD rather thank knock one down and buff one up like they kept doing through 1.0

Ken

Doesn't seem like there's anything absolutely solid about the changes, just a bunch of people posting out of their ass. Just wait for the actual update. Hopefully they match WAR up to PLD rather thank knock one down and buff one up like they kept doing through 1.0

at the very least i'd hope to see life steal that scales with enemy hp or something

Other than a friendlier cooldown for Brutal Swing and making Wrath stacks/Infuriated easier to get a hold of, nothing solid yet.

WolvenOne

Other than a friendlier cooldown for Brutal Swing and making Wrath stacks/Infuriated easier to get a hold of, nothing solid yet.

Well, those two things alone will help a ton. Being fully Stacked on Wrath really does seem to make life easier HO wise, and a lower stun on Brutal Swing means we War's can finally be on Stun Duty.

Granted, there's a couple other little subtle tweaks I'd like to see made, but that's a good first step.

Edit: Personally, I'm hopeful that Bloodbath will get a slight buff, and that the Duration of Vengeance is increased to at least 20's. Bloodbath and Vengeance actually work really well together as Damage mitigation, but the duration of Vengeance is so brief that by the time you get both fired off you only get about 10-12 seconds of mitigation. So buffing Bloodbath and increasing the duration of Vengeance would help tremendously during Add Mob tanking, and also make Boss fights far more survivable.

daveo42

Banned

I think I'd kill myself. Fate grinding is good xp, but feels like such a chore that I have to force myself to do.

Just know that BRD is getting nerfed next patch and DRG/MNK and WAR are getting buffed.

Might factor into the class decision if you spend on that time on a BRD only to have them become something you didn't want them to be.

Is brd nerf confirmed then? I had a feeling that might be coming, but are they only going to drop their dps output or completely mess with how it works in general?

WolvenOne

Mm, well I'll level everything eventually, but because there are, "SO," many Bards, I think I'll avoid them for awhile.

So, It's a choice between Dragoon and Black Mage at this point. The former would fit the head cannon of my character better, but, having good AoE damage for WP speed runs would be, REALLY nice.

desu

Is brd nerf confirmed then? I had a feeling that might be coming, but are they only going to drop their dps output or completely mess with how it works in general?

Nobody knows, dps nerf and support buff would make sense. But hell, SE just might buff it to absolute shit tier :).

Ken

I don't FATE grind (I do them if I pass by and there aren't a billion other people making it not-fun). But I really didn't expect there to be that big a difference in leveling speed. That's kind of crazy.

It's like 5k EXP a FATE at a steady rate, and then you get spikes of 20k-40k EXP with chains and boss stuff like Couerl King, Cancer, Goregimera, etc.

I think I'd kill myself. Fate grinding is good xp, but feels like such a chore that I have to force myself to do.

I killed myself long ago.

Actually it's not that bad; if you have a group it's easy to get gold with minimal effort (one time I got to a boss FATE late, did one shield lob and got gold), and the downtime lets you do non-game stuff so I usually hide the FFXIV window except for the area map and swap over when a FATE pops.

I definitely would not recommend it if you want to actually enjoy the path to 50 though!

Well, those two things alone will help a ton. Being fully Stacked on Wrath really does seem to make life easier HO wise, and a lower stun on Brutal Swing means we War's can finally be on Stun Duty.

Granted, there's a couple other little subtle tweaks I'd like to see made, but that's a good first step.

Edit: Personally, I'm hopeful that Bloodbath will get a slight buff, and that the Duration of Vengeance is increased to at least 20's. Bloodbath and Vengeance actually work really well together as Damage mitigation, but the duration of Vengeance is so brief that by the time you get both fired off you only get about 10-12 seconds of mitigation. So buffing Bloodbath and increasing the duration of Vengeance would help tremendously during Add Mob tanking, and also make Boss fights far more survivable.

The tools we do have are not so bad in concept, but the cooldowns are nasty and they just aren't very effective for the duration they last. Upping the potency on Bloodbath is something I really hope happens (rather than just extending duration, which doesn't help healers all that much for the big shots). Hopefully something happens with Storm's Path as well because---I just took that off my hotbar entirely.

KeRaSh

Beat Hydra and Ifrit HM with GAFfers and attempted Garuda. We got better with every try but it wasn't enough to beat her. It was a great learning experience, though. I'm confident I can pull my weight and beat her with a solid group.

I still need to farm more Tomes to get more DL gear. I'm progressing, though which is great.

daveo42

Banned
Nobody knows, dps nerf and support buff would make sense. But hell, SE just might buff it to absolute shit tier :).

Well, that's what happened to RNG and DRG in FFXI when they went on a nerf spree. RNG wasn't too bad, but DRG was essentially written off as dps for a good while.

I'd be fine if there was a support buff or made it more useful to actually buff the party more than only a few key times or debuff mobs. There's little to no reason to use songs as is most of the time.

I'm already up to Hydra on my brd relic quest, so I hope that it'll still be useful during end game (mostly for CT in 2.1).

I killed myself long ago.

Actually it's not that bad; if you have a group it's easy to get gold with minimal effort (one time I got to a boss FATE late, did one shield lob and got gold), and the downtime lets you do non-game stuff so I usually hide the FFXIV window except for the area map and swap over when a FATE pops.

I definitely would not recommend it if you want to actually enjoy the path to 50 though!

I've never had issues with getting good parties or gold on fates, they just get boring when you run the same ones over and over again for several levels. Some of the boss fates can be exceptions, but even then they feel more trivial and less exciting.

As you said, it is the fastest, but not at all enjoyable path.

WolvenOne

The tools we do have are not so bad in concept, but the cooldowns are nasty and they just aren't very effective for the duration they last. Upping the potency on Bloodbath is something I really hope happens (rather than just extending duration, which doesn't help healers all that much for the big shots). Hopefully something happens with Storm's Path as well because---I just took that off my hotbar entirely.

The duration of Bloodbath is fine, I was referring to Vengeance, that Status that delivers an Attack with 50 Potency every time you're attacked. It's a wonderful status when you're trying to Tank large groups, since those little attacks each add a little hate. It also helps slightly with damage mitigation in those situations, when used in conjunction with Bloodbath. 15 Seconds however, is an incredibly short duration, so it limits its use both for damage mitigation, and for tanking Mobs.

You are right that shorter cool-downs would probably add more bang for the buck, as far as Buff's go, but I'd still love to see a longer duration for Vengeance.

Apoptomon

Man, all this coil, Titan and relic talk I see here and in fc chat reminds me I should probably stop leveling archer, switch back over to summoner and farm ifrit hm for my weapon so that I can do chimera and amdapoor keep... Haven't been able to play as much as I might like though because of uni (and Pokemon, and now ace attorney).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom