• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

It isn't THAT difficult to find.
Early on I tried getting a Garuda blade for my collection since one never dropped and I didn't bother repeating her much in 1.0. I managed to get myth capped twice before I just gave up on the blade.

All those were mostly PUG groups and they went fine.
Still miffed about the blade.
Praise Tanaka.

DFing a random group that'll get you past Garuda once, is not THAT unlikely. It came out to roughly a 1 in 6 chance of success a few weeks ago when I was pugging Garuda. However, if you want to, "farm," Garuda, these are the pre-requisits, and a 1 in 6 chance of meeting these requirements via the Duty Finder, isn't a terribly effective means of Farming Garuda.

I mean, it took me a week to get my Garuda axe that way, and it was excruciating! XD

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ah ha, so I'm not really even close to being able to do anything with materia. I'm a L18 weaver and that's it. (My alt is a L5-or-so Miner. Wasn't having much fun with these classes, TBH)
You don't have to have a level 20 DoL class. None of my gathering classes are 20 yet, but I can still meld materia.

You just need a DoH class at level 19 to accept the quest to be able to meld (which isn't even really a quest, it's just some dialogue). Once you do, all of your DoH classes will be able to meld to items up to their level.

The only reason you would need a DoL class would be if you wanted to farm the materia melding catalyst items, the lowest level of which is a level 20 item that can be harvested beginning at level 16.

Aeana

I need to stop allowing myself to become so affected by people leaving the game. Feels like I'm always sad because of it lately. :\

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So yeah I think I have lobotomized my brain by just grinding Botany going for level up + achievement for Gold Axe

0fR4lpA.jpg

KJswBoY.jpg

5 hours of pure grinding from level 36-41, DAT Mahogany Log Stacks!

FUCKING Voodoo up in this bitch!:
79% chance of getting it, 15% chance of it being HQ, I strike Triple HQ back to back to back...
8Zhqfjp.jpg

Random stuff:
DAT Morning Coil /shout
42brMTz.jpg

Somehow while logging a FATE mob just magically appears while I'm running to next log node, insta-aggro:
so0306R.jpg

I forgot to run away cause I started reading the Fate description
8CWkUb8.jpg

Did get my revenge!:
XI9Qibr.jpg

DAT Death!:
3YniDJt.jpg

kgtejWV.jpg

Marceles

Accesories of Maiming vs. Striking:

How balanced are you guys when it comes to picking up one or another of the accessory? Are you noticing you have a lot of strength, but are missing mobs when you start doing coil?

Just trying to understand how important each one is vs. the other.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

How balanced are you guys when it comes to picking up one or another of the accessory? Are you noticing you have a lot of strength, but are missing mobs when you start doing coil?

Mix and match. Just make sure you have 472 accuracy if you plan on doing turn 4 & 5.

pitbull

Banned

well it depends on if you're a drg or monk really

It makes me happy when people in Mor Dhona jump on people who have ridiculous gear expectations to run things.

"Just got 50? Better use duty finder, chump! We're all about speedruns. LF RELIC +! TANK FOR AK"

I hope this elitism shit dies down eventually.

Einbroch

Banned
It makes me happy when people in Mor Dhona jump on people who have ridiculous gear expectations to run things.

"Just got 50? Better use duty finder, chump! We're all about speedruns. LF RELIC +! TANK FOR AK"

Huh? That's not elitism. That's someone looking for speed runs with people that have good gear. There's no reason for a Relic+ person to spend twice the time in AK/WP.

Pompo here. To anyone in the WP group I was running with I'm sooo sorry. I got 90kd and now it can't update the NA/EU server list. Has this been happening lately or is it on my end? Haven't played much this week so I'm not sure.

Jomjom

Banned
Has anyone checked to see if the DS4 will work with FFXIV? I know it might be kind of tough to reach certain menus and whatnot without a select button, but does everything else work? The better R and L triggers would make playing so much less of a pain!

pitbull

Banned
Monk is the more accurate class?

Well the striking is listed for monk, i have both since im the only one in our group and most coils only have one melee....the acc is really the biggest thing to watch but if for some reason you have another melee just let the first one go to the recommended class and just get the second one if it drops.

Ferr986

2.1 in december is a bit ridiculous IMO. Thats more than the 3 months promised, and that was already a long wait (considering other MMO have an update every month).

Do you expect a spot in speedruns just because you're level 50? I don't see the problem with requesting geared members for speedruns, it's not elitist at all. Some people don't have the time to spend on doing runs all day so they want to get it done fast.

I don't expect spots in speedruns. I'm not foolish enough to think people need to carry me through content. It's silly and selfish.

However, it'd be nice for people to be able to get into premade groups without being stigmatized because they don't have the same gear as everyone else who speedran to level 50, which is 95% of the groups in Mor Dhona.

I've got three pieces of darklight and three pieces of AK gear as well as Ifrit's weapon. I was invited to, and then booted from a AK party that was NOT advertised as a speedrun group because my gear wasn't good enough.

Again, not expecting to be carried, but the endgame right now stinks of elitism.

Rising_Hei

I don't expect spots in speedruns. I'm not foolish enough to think people need to carry me through content. It's silly and selfish.

However, it'd be nice for people to be able to get into premade groups without being stigmatized because they don't have the same gear as everyone else who speedran to level 50, which is 95% of the groups in Mor Dhona.

I've got three pieces of darklight and three pieces of AK gear as well as Ifrit's weapon. I was invited to, and then booted from a AK party that was NOT advertised as a speedrun group because my gear wasn't good enough.

Again, not expecting to be carried, but the endgame right now stinks of elitism.

The funny thing is that the people that asks others for lots of gear are usually the worst players :)

You should befriend with people that is good and stick with them, lots of bad players out there. (Speedruns are a joke outside of FCs anyways)
An almost full ilvl90 pld just said :x

The funny thing is that the people that asks others for lots of gear are usually the worst players :)

An almost full ilvl90 pld just said :x

Right?

I did a duty finder with a Paladin who was geared worse than I was. AF, AK boots (which she got on our run) and Behemoth's helm. I think she was using that WP shield. No ifrit weapon. Additionally, the other DPS and healer didn't have relics or anything, some Darklight. Basically, an average group.

Certainly we didn't speedrun the place, but I think we got out in less than an hour. I want to say about 45 minutes. We played well and had a great time, actually conversing with each other as we played!

One of my groups with ultra geared people ended up in disaster, and it took 80 minutes to clear the run. After we finished, the diagnosis was "I think some of you guys just aren't geared well enough."

Gotta love MMOs sometimes. :p

ran a party of Haukke with nothing but red headed Miqo'tes (3 girls and 1 guy as the tank)...the Miqo'te threat grows each passing day...

I'm in a linkshell called "Miqo'te Domination". :p

I've seen the list! At least one of you <GAF> members are in it too!

Yes, we will eventually take over the world.

MechaX

Oh, 2.1 is in December now? And Coil Turn 5 is still unbeatable?

... Well, that changes things.

As some other people have said, that's not elitism. What is elitism is when people start scoffing that people don't have full DL and Relic for running CM or Prae (which is a thing that does happen, unfortunately).

(Speedruns are a joke outside of FCs anyways)

I've had fine experiences building parties in Mor Dhona shout. Last two weeks running WP I've had no real difficulties getting shout parties going 14-16 minutes per run which is not the best but is certainly fine.

The key to success, and I don't expect this opinion to be popular, is to be selective with who you invite. If I'm trying to cap Myth or farm Philo quickly I ask for Relic and I make sure especially the healer knows that we're going full AOE 3 packs at a time a la the popular way to run WP these days. If someone has the gear but has never done the run, I'm happy to give them tips on how it's done, not that running the WP speedrun is particularly hard as long as you have the gear for it. But without the gear that member would be a hindrance and there's no reason to bring them since there are plenty of others willing in shout at most times.

So I suppose you can call this elitism. I'm not rude about it, don't get me wrong, and helping FC members or friends is obviously a different story, but if I'm looking to speedrun an instance, this is how I do it.

To me, the people who constantly pound the "BOO ELITISM" drum kind of irk me. Maybe I'm just a dick, but I'll be frank. As someone who has spent tons of time in top 100-150 guilds in WoW for multiple expansions as a normal raider and as an officer, to me part of the key to success in MMOs is surrounding yourself with players who are competent and dedicated, just as much as you yourself are. For me, this applies to PUGs as much as it applies to raid groups. I'm spending my time to play this game and I want to make sure I'm not held back by others. This is basically elitism. So is this bad? Am I a dick?

So people are selective about who they party with. Maybe some of them are inflammatory about it, and that's not cool, but the practice in general isn't some sort of crime. I don't think most people who talk about elitism necessarily mean it this way, but sometimes it comes off as some sort of statement that if you're building a PUG you have to include people regardless of skill or gear because otherwise, you are an elitist.

There's value in helping others who might be behind you in progression aswell, hence why I'm always willing to help with Relic encounters or anything if I'm free (Although I don't get to help as much as I could if I wasn't a tank). But if I'm sitting down to accomplish something for myself, I want to party with people I think will help me accomplish that goal the quickest.

Oh, 2.1 is in December now? And Coil Turn 5 is still unbeatable?

... Well, that changes things.

As some other people have said, that's not elitism. What is elitism is when people start scoffing that people don't have full DL and Relic for running CM or Prae (which is a thing that does happen, unfortunately).

My example might not have been the best, but it was the general consensus of shout at the time (and this really surprised me, which is why I brought it up to begin with) that it was a ridiculous, elitist requirement. There were plenty of other tanks that were there that could have filled the role they wanted without compromising speed.

To your second point, yes, that can and does happen. A lot. My team was lucky when we did duty finder (and thank god you can't boot people from that, because damn), as we had a group of people who weren't being overbearing since we were doing a storyline run, but in other groups the whining on castrum runs for storyline players or just people farming tomes not fully geared out is upsetting.

Teknoman

Im surprised people are requiring mumble. Its nice to use for voice chat, but I dont think it should be a requirement for runs of any sort.

Unless its that challenging?

Aeana

Im surprised people are requiring mumble. Its nice to use for voice chat, but I dont think it should be a requirement for runs of any sort.

Unless its that challenging?

Coil is all about coordination. It's just way easier to do that with voice chat. It's not like totally required, but it helps a lot.

So like as an ARC/SMN in the party, should I be spreading all my dots to every enemy after the tank engages them or should I just focus on the one the tank is attacking?

and on a separate note, the Good King Moogle song is AWESOME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom