• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got Armorer to 50(My last craft!) and I was just about to log out from the inn room bed when they shut it down for maintenance. Will I still get the full amount of rested XP or do you have to log out from the bed for it? :(

i've never seen so many LB3s used in an ifrit hm before

LOL! I was there! I think I spent more time reviving people than attacking Ifrit. And I was a SMN.

Mandoric

Banned
Did my first AK today and it was miserable lol : got repelled by Demon Wall and got kill by the last boss's blue ball. So stupid. Luckily the tank and our FC dps were so decked out that they didn't even need me there lol

I'm trying to level my carpenter to 50 and realize I spend so much money for materials. Do you usually go out to gather your own materials or buy from the market?

Depends on the mat. Gathering your own trends towards being worthwhile on wood because due to the sheer quantities involved and the lack of NPCable alternatives there's usually high demand and high prices.

In general, if it's worth more than a shard it's a good candidate to gather on the way up. If it's worth less it's only good for exp.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I finally got Armorer to 50(My last craft!) and I was just about to log out from the inn room bed when they shut it down for maintenance. Will I still get the full amount of rested XP or do you have to log out from the bed for it? :(

Congrats on all crafts to 50!

You'll get rested xp as long as you're in the inn room.

Mupod

Actually come to think of it I do have one question about turn 1 - when the snake splits, does the MT keep all his aggro? Because trying to keep aggro on the new snake while healers go batshit insane AND kiting him across the room was awkward. It'd be easier if the MT could just run over there instead.

WolvenOne

Actually come to think of it I do have one question about turn 1 - when the snake splits, does the MT keep all his aggro? Because trying to keep aggro on the new snake while healers go batshit insane AND kiting him across the room was awkward. It'd be easier if the MT could just run over there instead.

I noticed that. There'd be about 5-10 seconds where the new snake would just, hang around. Eventually it'd leave me alone but with Zero aggro on it, you'd expect it to immediately start running off after the first player to ding it with a pebble.

I will say this for that fight though, at least now I have a clear concept of how all those mechanics are supposed to work. Except the Slime Feeding bit, I have the basic concept down, but without having tried if the mechanics are a little fuzzy still. XD

Hopefully tomorrow, and hopefully ONE of us gets Tank armor. (I really need it! D:)

By need it, I mean, that the upgrade mechanics from Darklight to Relic+1 Bites for Tanks. It means you have to buy two items to upgrade, or else you face a slight drop in stats.) Considering it takes multiple weeks just to get ONE of these items thanks to the Myth Cap, this is kind of a problem. The early Coil fights are likely a lot easier if your Tanks are mostly Relic and Allagan, so, yeah an Allagan tanking item dropping would be a huge boon.

Lol at the last statement on the video haha. Seriously though good job on the kill

lol yeah, that was pretty funny.

So from the looks of it, they pretty easily avoided Divebomb phase by using the wall area, and Twister mechanic is overcome by moving your character in a circle (like a twister, har har SE) during cast time?

Can't wait to get back in there tomorrow.

rykomatsu

This is a story which needs to be told.

Going off of memory here - It was a first attempt for one or 2 people I think (maybe more) with one of the folks being the silencer.

First half goes OK...some deaths that me, the other WHM, and SMN raise and more than enough DPS for nails with an LB3 from the BLM - hell, the tank was well geared so both Drama and I go into cleric stance for some holy spam as well.

Then people started dying and taking damage one by one, first from Ifrit's charge and plumes. Then silencer I think missed one or 2 ignitions and all but a tank, a SMN and I were alive. Ok, no biggie, pattern's regular, not hard to avoid so the SMN and I start running around trying to avoid ignition while the tank's doing his thing all the while trying to manage my mana (or lack thereof) with shroud on cooldown. Everyone was at like a permanent 50% getting tagged with ignitions chasing us everywhere and what not.
We manage to get another LB3, so awesome...everyone rezzes and we're good to go...right?

Wrong...everyone gets tagged with some combo of vulcan burst, plumes, ignition etc and we're back to 3 ppl up again. At this point mana's recovered somehow and we're not doing bad just surviving. LB3 comes along (again!), SMN uses it and everyone's back in. A couple more people got tagged by AoEs and died (I think), but LB1 built and Ifrit goes down.

Was definitely interesting to say the least - I think everyone thought we'd wipe after the first healer LB3.

Ken

i think on snake split the snake is completely fresh add. usually the fairy or something will pick it up but a shield lob or two will pull it to you

also twisters look terribly unforgiving. building up LB looks really boring and is gonna be a pain every attempt. i don't really want to try it until after they put up their write up on it or whatever.

WolvenOne

Okay, so I went into Coil twice today, once with MuPad, once with a bunch of Gaffers.

The first trip of the evening, without MuPad, we couldn't get past the ADS. The problem there though, was that it was entirely a group of people learning the mechanics of the fight, and a couple individuals become a bit understandably frustrated with the process after about 6-8 wipes, and we had to cut it short.

Mainly, with that group, I think people just needed a little more time to learn how to avoid that bosses's AoE attacks. A lot of them are very fast, and it's a long narrowly confined area making some of them hard to avoid. I feel like I had mostly gotten the hang of avoiding it, but, Tanks can take multiple hits before KOing, so it's probably easier for us to learn these things.

The second trip in, with MuPad, well, it felt like we were right on the cusp of beating that one all night. Considering that a large portion of that party had never been in that fight before, that's a fairly good sign. I played Main Tank, since Mupad had a clearer grasp of how to handle the Slime feeding mechanism. I had a good vantage point to watch though, so I could probably handle that job, assuming the party was patient.

As Main Tank, the fights fairly simple, save for I found myself constantly spamming everything I could to hold solid aggro early on, and that I have to be very careful timing CD's, since something almost always had to be active after awhile, to keep my health locked in healthy territory.

Honestly, probably the easiest job in the fight, I kinda feel guilty for taking it.

Anyhow, I'm hopeful that with enough practice, I'll be able to get to and beat Twintania before 2.1 is released. I'd be shocked if I got world first (HAH!!) and be almost as shocked if I was the first WAR to beat Turn 5, regardless, beating Twintania before the WAR buff has to be worth some sort of cred! XD

Besides, that's probably what it'll take to convince myself that I'm a decent player. Don't you just hate neurosis. XD

rykomatsu

Okay, so I went into Coil twice today, once with MuPad, once with a bunch of Gaffers.

The first trip of the evening, without MuPad, we couldn't get past the ADS. The problem there though, was that it was entirely a group of people learning the mechanics of the fight, and a couple individuals become a bit understandably frustrated with the process after about 6-8 wipes, and we had to cut it short.

That was completely my fault - fiancee needed me for something IRL and I couldn't keep her at bay any longer...healers for turn 1 were also difficult to come by tonight :( I don't think anyone was frustrated with the pulls themselves, though. At least, I couldn't see anything that'd indicate that. Note that a bunch of us had gone in a little earlier and attempted a few times with 1 healer after our first healer left as well, so not the kind of folks I think would get upset at repeated wipes :p

Lain

I didn't play for a week, but managed to score 210 myth tomes today, plus one of those ugly caster shields from WP. Now I just need a Garuda Weapon to start using it, so i hope I'll never get one.

WolvenOne

That was completely my fault - fiancee needed me for something IRL and I couldn't keep her at bay any longer...healers for turn 1 were also difficult to come by tonight :( I don't think anyone was frustrated with the pulls themselves, though. At least, I couldn't see anything that'd indicate that. Note that a bunch of us had gone in a little earlier and attempted a few times with 1 healer after our first healer left as well, so not the kind of folks I think would get upset at repeated wipes :p

Oh, I wasn't blaming anyone. Everyone has their own circumstances, and they're usually pretty understandable when you know the details. :)

chrono01

I've decided to finally give Bahamut's Coil a try this week [assuming I can find a group as a BLM]. I've been watching videos of both Turns 1 and 2 to better familiarize myself with it. It looks to be a lot of fun, and I'm loving the music in there.

It seems full DL and Relic +1 is more than enough for Coil [I was originally thinking that AF+1 was needed], so I guess I'm all set gear-wise. :)

WolvenOne

You know, the funny thing is, the plot surrounding Coil, feels like far more of a natural continuation of the events of 1.0, than ARRs actual main story.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm a bit impressed by myself on how much I'm not caring about Coil.

I did the last boss of turn 1 with a bunch of gaffers, then they decided to go for a whm instead of double sch and I did not even tried to find a group for turn 2. I guess I'm fine slowly getting myths and crafting/gathering.

Weaver is taking a lot to level, tho, always having to farm mobs, always having to gather more lightning shards. I think I had to stop leveling weaver 3 or 4 times in order to get another pack of 1k shards.

I am level 42 now and kind of lazy to keep going. I hope GSM is better, because that's where I will be going next.

Feep

Banned
i dont think a lot of peopole in the gaf fc are "endgame ready." a bunch are still just slowly enjoying the ride from 1-50 (except dirty drg feep; he's just slow)

also xelios is almost always on and i know he's always up for melding people's relic materia
I'm watching you, Mako-chan.

WATCHING YOU.

Cmagus

4 days and about 15 hours in total I finally hit lvl 50 and finish summoner and I never want to do another FATE ever again.

iwK5ZaIJqySv4.png

Naar

I have a question regarding coil.

If we beat a turn, can we go back to that turn to farm the boss or do we start from the beginning of the turn?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I have a question regarding coil.

If we beat a turn, can we go back to that turn to farm the boss or do we start from the beginning of the turn?

Nope, once a Turn is defeated, you have to wait till next week reset
It will be empty, unless you left some trash

People would just farm Turn 1-4 like AK and just gear themselves out

This is the weekly time-sink, to keep everyone in check from getting everything within a few weeks
2 Drops per Turn 1, 2, 4, so 6 goodies every week, god help you if you get gear no one needs or trolled with same drops 2+ weeks in a row, DAT Demoralization

Naar

Nope, once a Turn is defeated, you have to wait till next week reset
It will be empty, unless you left some trash

People would just farm Turn 1-4 like AK and just gear themselves out

This is the weekly time-sink, to keep everyone in check from getting everything within a few weeks
2 Drops per Turn 1, 2, 4, so 6 goodies every week, god help you if you get gear no one needs or trolled with same drops 2+ weeks in a row, DAT Demoralization

Oh damn, i thought we could go back to it. We just kept going after finishing the turns, but I was thinking maybe its better to get some members some gear before we go to the higher turns

Also can you change your chocobo job later from say tank to healer like your other jobs? its not permanent right?

dramatis

i've never seen so many LB3s used in an ifrit hm before
LOL! I was there! I think I spent more time reviving people than attacking Ifrit. And I was a SMN.
Was definitely interesting to say the least - I think everyone thought we'd wipe after the first healer LB3.
I think Qhon was ready to kill us himself. (If one of you (not Endless Bravado) is Qhon, thanks again lol). I probably should have watched more Ifrit HM videos, I thought I was ready.

Alas, I can no longer find the strength in me to run WP or AK again.

Didn't even finish my myth tomes for this week.

I think I'm burning out. ;~;
If you weren't a healer I would have bloody run WP with you mocking your purple face until you hit cap. Or at least until I fall asleep at the controls.

frequency

So I guess people finally found the Chocobo job bardings.

You need to be rank 10 in a single skill tree on your Chocobo.
Super disappointing.

On WHM, I would like a matching WHM barding. But why would I level my Chocobo as healer if I myself am a healer? So so so dumb. Also that this was hidden in such a requirement when you can't reset Chocobo skill points is absolutely ridiculous.

The final skill in the attacker tree and healer tree are area of effect. Area of effect healing isn't that big a deal but mostly useless. The attacker tree area of effect is the worst and hits everything you don't want it to hit. Many people didn't take the last skill and put those points in another tree to be more useful.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1pc7f7/whm_chocobo_armor/

twintania, 9 letters, w is the odd letter from the bunch, every other letter has a mirroring letter (proof that W is the odd letter of the bunch)

"W". another odd letter for a former US president george w. bush <-- 11 letters, minus the odd letter, 10 letters remaining, twintania, 9 letters, add the odd letter = 10 letters.

10 letters = Illuminati

Twintania =has similar characteristics that of a reptile

George W. Bush = reptilian overlord from illuminati.

take the W from both george w bush and twintania, we get two Ws, guess what has two Ws? = neW World order.

if you rotate the letter "W" 90 degrees anti clockwise, you get the number 3.

Half life 3 confirmed.

LMAO

Dunan

Need some noobish help here: I've got a L35 thaumaturge with L14 conjurer, L8 arcanist, and L5 archer, plus L18 weaver. I want to start doing some of the mode advanced stuff, like materia melding and cross-class jobs. What do you recommend I do next, other than advance the story (just opened Brayflox)?

Materia require at least one ~L20 crafter, right? And the THM + CNJ makes a black mage at some point?

I wouldn't mind spending some more time as a non-combat class, but I have zero inventory space. I'm constantly throwing things away, selling things for pennies, or missing out on drops because my inventory is full. The last thing I want is a class that east up inventory space like the Weaver did.

Any thoughts?

Need some noobish help here: I've got a L35 thaumaturge with L14 conjurer, L8 arcanist, and L5 archer, plus L18 weaver. I want to start doing some of the mode advanced stuff, like materia melding and cross-class jobs. What do you recommend I do next, other than advance the story (just opened Brayflox)?

Materia require at least one ~L20 crafter, right? And the THM + CNJ makes a black mage at some point?

I wouldn't mind spending some more time as a non-combat class, but I have zero inventory space. I'm constantly throwing things away, selling things for pennies, or missing out on drops because my inventory is full. The last thing I want is a class that east up inventory space like the Weaver did.

Any thoughts?

I believe BLM is L30 THM + L15 ARC (archer), so I would recommend doing that next. Also, for your inventory issue, you should hire a retainer and store items you don't immediately need there (you hire a retainer from the marketplace, there's an NPC there who will walk you through it. If you can't, you have to complete some story/local quests I think). You could also try selling items on the marketplace, or just directly to vendors (if they aren't selling for more than that on the market).

As for melding, I believe that is around L 20. You've probably already done the story quest for converting gear to materia, right? If so take your highest level crafting class to that place and the quests for melding will be there.

frequency

Any thoughts?

Black Mage is THM30/ARC15.

That should be your first priority.

Materia melding unlocks at level 20 with a DoH class.

Mairu

I noticed that. There'd be about 5-10 seconds where the new snake would just, hang around. Eventually it'd leave me alone but with Zero aggro on it, you'd expect it to immediately start running off after the first player to ding it with a pebble.
It works the same as every other spawn in the game in that they'll just sit there for a few seconds before moving. Just like mobs that spawn in the instanced quests or the gargoyles in AK.

Didnt realise the choco armours were already in the game, I do like the look of the WHM one - http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1pc7f7/whm_chocobo_armor/

I can't imagine what it's like being that masochistic to want to spend that much time killing random mobs to level the chocobo. I wish it was implemented in a better way.

Grifter

Just started this (coming from XI). Are sun cats viable paladins? Should I put all my bonus attributes into VIT for a PLD build?

frequency

Just started this (coming from XI). Are sun cats viable paladins? Should I put all my bonus attributes into VIT for a PLD build?

Race matters way less in this than in FFXI.

All I have seen suggests full VIT is the way to go but a tank with actual experience may be able to answer that better.
From what I have read, the gains from STR and DEX are so tiny it's just not worth it.

Grifter

Yeah, I was trying to pair up VIT and INT (like an XI elf) but learned that MND affects heals now and STR/DEX applies to defense so was curious how pronounced that effect is.

Feels odd that elves seem like the worst pallies now, if considering MIN/MAX.

frequency

Yeah, I was trying to pair up VIT and INT (like an XI elf) but learned that MND affects heals now and STR/DEX applies to defense so was curious how pronounced that effect is.

Feels odd that elves seem like the worst pallies now, if considering MIN/MAX.

Unfortunately, Paladins in FFXIV:ARR are different from FFXI. Your healing is worthless for both potency and enmity generation.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Why do people insist on doing speed runs through the duty finder? Its just going to waste more time when they come across people that don't want to do it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom