• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter

Unfortunately, Paladins in FFXIV:ARR are different from FFXI. Your healing is worthless for both potency and enmity generation.

That's cool, was hoping for changes but I figured self healing still mattered since I need to level CON. Should I not even bother pulling from that skillset for PLD?

That's cool, was hoping for changes but I figured self healing still mattered since I need to level CON. Should I not even bother pulling from that skillset for PLD?

Stoneskin (level 34 CNJ) is half-decent, but nothing else from the tree is valuable in any way.

Teletraan1

Banned
Why do people insist on doing speed runs through the duty finder? Its just going to waste more time when they come across people that don't want to do it that way.

I dont have the energy to keep up with what the latest and greatest speed run tactics are. Every time I do a DF dungeon it is some asshole yelling at everyone for doing it this way or that, being called a retard for not having this persons thoughts projected to my screen and often with groups where the 1 or 2 of the members are fresh 50s or at least not very well geared. Wiping because nobody knows the ins and outs of what speed run tactic they are using. Taking more time than just doing it strait up. My easiest DF AK run ever was a bunch of people who weren't ultra geared, we just went through the dungeon, killed the trash in our way, killed a Bee because our dps was shit and everyone did what they needed to do. I haven't done a AK DF in a week now since it is usually such a bad experience. I have been leveling my gathering, crafting and other classes to 50 instead.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I dont have the energy to keep up with what the latest and greatest speed run tactics are. Every time I do a DF dungeon it is some asshole yelling at everyone for doing it this way or that, being called a retard for not having this persons thoughts projected to my screen and often with groups where the 1 or 2 of the members are fresh 50s or at least not very well geared. Wiping because nobody knows the ins and outs of what speed run tactic they are using. Taking more time than just doing it strait up. My easiest DF AK run ever was a bunch of people who weren't ultra geared, we just went through the dungeon, killed the trash in our way, killed a Bee because our dps was shit and everyone did what they needed to do. I haven't done a AK DF in a week now since it is usually such a bad experience. I have been leveling my gathering, crafting and other classes to 50 instead.

Exactly. Just had a wipe there cause the tank just went without saying anything and tagged everything. Me and the healer just sat down at the start after that and waited for the other 2 to leave.

aceface

Finally got my Garuda bow yesterday. Probably won't try for Titan's since it's super ugly.

My wife (Leolin) was in that Garuda group. She was super psyched, it was her first time beating Garuda. It was fun watching you wig out when the bow dropped.

WolvenOne

*Reads a few posts above.*

I will say that, unless your DPS is fantastic, not Tanking/Burning the bee's on Demon Wall is, kinda foolish. I'm not certain why so many groups are insisting on doing it. Heck, I'm a Tank, and there are times where I have to put my foot down since the group just isn't geared well enough to burn straight through the wall.

Or, conversely, I let them have their way to prove my point. A group made up of DPS only with Ifrit Weapons, is probably going to have an uphill battle burning through the wall before Bee's or Repel get to someone. XD

Worse yet, I'm not occasionally starting to see DPS that insist on killing, "ALL," the Adds during the Kingtonberry fight. Sure, I've survived those instances, but I was on damage mitigation the whole time and almost lost aggro on a few occasions. XD.

I'm hopeful that doesn't become TOO common.

WolvenOne

So, when I get off work I'm going to head home and try getting started on Bahamuts Coil ASAP. I want to start making progress early, because I think that will increase my chances of getting in with a good group.

Now, I can understand why they have it set up so people cannot go back, and I can half agree that there probably needs to be an anti-farming mechanism. What really bothers me, is that their solution makes it so good experienced players are likely always going to grouped together. They're the ones that're going to clear those early dungeons fast, and they can't come back and show the less experienced groups what they're doing wrong. Often a single experienced player is all it takes to get a group past a boss that's giving them trouble.

Regardless, while things have been a Wipe fest so far, I have enjoyed the runs. So as long as I get to turn 5, and have a decent shot a Tanking item, I'll be pleased. I'd be shocked if I made it, PAST turn five this week though, even with one group having already figured out the mechanics of the fight. Chances are I'll be in one of the newer groups, so we probably won't quite be geared well enough for that. XD

Valus

So is Allagan the only ilvl 90 armor available at the moment? I keep reading stuff about AF+1 also being ilvl 90 but can't find any details about obtaining it.

pitbull

Banned
So, when I get off work I'm going to head home and try getting started on Bahamuts Coil ASAP. I want to start making progress early, because I think that will increase my chances of getting in with a good group.

Now, I can understand why they have it set up so people cannot go back, and I can half agree that there probably needs to be an anti-farming mechanism. What really bothers me, is that their solution makes it so good experienced players are likely always going to grouped together. They're the ones that're going to clear those early dungeons fast, and they can't come back and show the less experienced groups what they're doing wrong. Often a single experienced player is all it takes to get a group past a boss that's giving them trouble.

Regardless, while things have been a Wipe fest so far, I have enjoyed the runs. So as long as I get to turn 5, and have a decent shot a Tanking item, I'll be pleased. I'd be shocked if I made it, PAST turn five this week though, even with one group having already figured out the mechanics of the fight. Chances are I'll be in one of the newer groups, so we probably won't quite be geared well enough for that. XD

I believe we only have 2 groups in the fc that have beaten turn 4, i think it's going to be another month if not more before pug coil groups have a shot at turn 4. Turn 1 and 2 aren't that big of a deal but they only have 1 and 2 phases.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah my brilliant plan to return to the FC, fully geared and knowledgable 'bout endgame and all, is actually a total bust. I'm actually worse off.

I dun goofed

WolvenOne

I believe we only have 2 groups in the fc that have beaten turn 4, i think it's going to be another month if not more before pug coil groups have a shot at turn 4. Turn 1 and 2 aren't that big of a deal but they only have 1 and 2 phases.

Mm, "getting," to Twintania might be a bit much then. I mean, I might luck out on drops which would improve my chances, but if only 2 FC groups have made it to Twintania after all this time, then I'll probably stall out on Turn 3 or 4, even if I do luck out on drops.

For context, when I say luck out. I mean, something along the lines of the Allagan Tank chest dropping. If that happened, and I managed to win the Need on that, then I'd have over half my armor up to level 90 by weeks end. Relic+1 Gloves, Helmet, Belt, and Allagan chest.

That'd be a pretty big stroke of luck though.

Doodlebug

K'sonjha, you were one of the first people I added to my friend list. You helped me (we helped each other) get through a few of the starter dungeons and made it great fun to do. I'm not the best WHM in world; far from even the best in the FC! You know what, though? I don't care because I play to have fun with the people I adventure with. In having fun, I do improve and learn things to further how effective I am at actually completing content, but that's secondary to having a good time. Please relax your thinking about it so much and come join us in adventuring. That's what it should be about, no matter what happens. It'll be an adventure! Let's run some Wanderer's Palace and dodge some tonberries together. I still haven't finished the story!

In-game: Auli Oxen

Alucrid

Banned
Mm, "getting," to Twintania might be a bit much then. I mean, I might luck out on drops which would improve my chances, but if only 2 FC groups have made it to Twintania after all this time, then I'll probably stall out on Turn 3 or 4, even if I do luck out on drops.

For context, when I say luck out. I mean, something along the lines of the Allagan Tank chest dropping. If that happened, and I managed to win the Need on that, then I'd have over half my armor up to level 90 by weeks end. Relic+1 Gloves, Helmet, Belt, and Allagan chest.

I'm not sure why that matters when pretty much all the groups already have tanks that geared. It's more about the party than anything.

pitbull

Banned

Well turn 1 and 2 arent bad, but i would only pug if you have to. A static coil group would help you immensely more than pugging it week after week.

edit: don't just rely on the fc either, I would join a multi fc group in a heartbeat if i couldnt get a full fc one

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I'm in the second (or third) T5 group. Many of the members were from different FCs and eventually came into GAF. There is no way we could have formed a full FC group at the time.

Turn 1 is on farm mode and we 1-2 shot it weekly. (it took us probably 15 tried initially)

Turn 2 likely took us a bit longer as we had to train new people repeatedly until we found a static tank and DPS to fill our group. We now finish it in about 40 minutes.

Once we had a full static, T2 and T3 dropped in rapid succession. T4 stopped us for 1.5 or 2 weeks. No amount of videos can make that turn easy the first few times. The timing, DPS, and healing requirement is really nuts there. But once your static gets a strategy down, it is doable pretty quickly.

This week I expect us to get through T1, T2, T3, and T4 in roughly 1.5 hours to get beaten to a pulp in T5 this weekend.

I don't see any pick-up groups standing a chance past T3. Even semi-static groups will have a hell of a time past T3 due to training other people.

WolvenOne

I'm not sure why that matters when pretty much all the groups already have tanks that geared. It's more about the party than anything.

Well, I'm Tank, so all I can really do is contribute to my part of the equation as best I can. Also being better equipped would help me sell myself to more groups. That's kinda important for us WAR's.

Also, as somebody else pointed out, I probably need to find a group of players I trust, and start going regularly with them. Kinda tough though, because of Time Zone differences. So many East Coasters are in the process of winding down, or outright chillaxing, by the time I log on for the night. XD

Alucrid

Banned
F2E2BAC8941E77BD41770F5BE03C98AB5CEC63F3

Forget turn 5, I've already won the game in my opinion.

Here I was thinking that I'd be required to level Summoner from 1, instead you just equip the job crystal and poof, level 30 Summoner ready to go. Colour me surprised.

talk about a fail, I for some reason thought I had to level up ARC for SMN but nope, it was THR...lame. Oh well, I was thinking about having a BLM too so I guess it works out.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Out of curiosity, who in your group wasn't in GAF but is now?

If you want to hear something scary: listen up.

When our coil group was looking for a BRD we invited a fellow that goes by the name of Lord Garuda. After we got the group filled up and ready to attempt T2 again, he suddenly stopped responding and we waited for about 30 minutes. Then he left the party to go sell Titan runs.

I am thankful that he left. Having that dude in Coil would cause aneurisms all around.

This was my first run-in with him, but not the last. lol

Aeana

If you want to hear something scary: listen up.

When our coil group was looking for a BRD we invited a fellow that goes by the name of Lord Garuda. After we got the group filled up and ready to attempt T2 again, he suddenly stopped responding and we waited for about 30 minutes. Then he left the party to go sell Titan runs.

I am thankful that he left. Having that dude in Coil would cause aneurisms all around.

This was my first run-in with him, but not the last. lol

I blacklisted that guy a long time ago!

WolvenOne

You know, if there was one update from 2.1 I could choose to have now. I think it'd be the Beastmen Daily Quests. Hunting Logs only get you so far, and while I enjoy Fates for an hour or so, I need to break and do something else eventually.

I keep meaning to level a DPS, so that I'll be in a position to Party with folks that already have Tanks, but, until I'm reasonably certain my WAR is leveled about as high as it can go for this patch, I'd just rather do that then grind fates for a week straight.

Daily quests like how PSO2 gave you daily orders to complete, would sure help in the exp gaining business. I have largely substituted FATE grinding for dungeons but that is still a slow process.

WolvenOne

Daily quests like how PSO2 gave you daily orders to complete, would sure help in the exp gaining business. I have largely substituted FATE grinding for dungeons but that is still a slow process.

Well, "supposedly," you can get a class up to 50 in a few days with some very heavy Fate grinding. However, while Fate grinding for an hour or so can be fun, after an hour I just have to do something else. So for me it'll probably be more like, a week or maybe two, unless I find something to break up the Fate Grinding a bit.

Well, "supposedly," you can get a class up to 50 in a few days with some very heavy Fate grinding. However, while Fate grinding for an hour or so can be fun, after an hour I just have to do something else. So for me it'll probably be more like, a week or maybe two, unless I find something to break up the Fate Grinding a bit.

I suppose you can do that if you play 6-10 hours for several days in a row. I might want to hang myself before I finish doing something like that

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I suppose you can do that if you play 6-10 hours for several days in a row. I might want to hang myself before I finish doing something like that

You guys just need to bring out your inner Korean.

Didn't you ever play grind-heavy MMOs like Silkroad, Cabal, or Ragnarok? The 0-50 grind here pales in comparison to the crap that was necessary in those games.

WolvenOne

Well, it's not TOO uncommon for me to play from, 8 or 9 pm to 2-3am. So that's around 5 to 7 hours a day for me. A lot of that time however is spent, just shooting the breeze on Party or FC logs though, or otherwise putting parties together.

Also it's not something I can keep up indefinitely. I've essentially been giving up a 1/3rd of my weekends to catching up on sleep, and that just isn't going to be sustainable.

Didn't you ever play grind-heavy MMOs like Silkroad, Cabal, or Ragnarok? The 0-50 grind here pales in comparison to the crap that was necessary in those games.

I don't usually play MMOs and I don't have the time or sanity to deal with those grinds lol.

WolvenOne

I don't mind a grind, I just have to be able to switch it up with something else from time to time. XD

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Spend myth for AF+1 and use that to run Coil for full Allgan for another class.

That's my plan anyway :p

Pretty much my plan as well except I'm mixing AF+1 and Allegan on my DRG until he is full iLVL90. Once that happens I have my full iLVL 70 + relic WAR that is sitting ready for Crystal Tower or spare coil drops.

Kwixotik

Got miner, armorer, and gladiator to 26. Still looking for ways to make money. I've found I can potentially make a decent income selling HQ iron ingots, as I can synth them from standard quality iron ore pretty easily now and I can farm crystals on my miner. Any other tips would be appreciated.

edit: also, if I take PLD to 50 what levels do I need other classes to be for cross-class abilities? Do I only get abilities up to level 15?

yaffi

Got miner, armorer, and gladiator to 26. Still looking for ways to make money. I've found I can potentially make a decent income selling HQ iron ingots, as I can synth them from standard quality iron ore pretty easily now and I can farm crystals on my miner. Any other tips would be appreciated.

edit: also, if I take PLD to 50 what levels do I need other classes to be for cross-class abilities? Do I only get abilities up to level 15?

That might help you: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Paladin

Alucrid

Banned
Spend myth for AF+1 and use that to run Coil for full Allgan for another class.

That's my plan anyway :p

Pretty much my plan as well except I'm mixing AF+1 and Allegan on my DRG until he is full iLVL90. Once that happens I have my full iLVL 70 + relic WAR that is sitting ready for Crystal Tower or spare coil drops.

I have most of the gear I need right now. It would be mostly getting full AF+1 for looks or using it for, I guess my Monk.

Kenai

There are a lot of low/mid level gathering mats that are fairly easy to collect but sell well. Elm is from level 15 trees but is ~65g per on Ultros and is just one example of many.

It's important to have multiple sources of income if the market of a particular mat tanks, though. If one does I will store the mats and bring them out later when conditions are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom