• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisby

How do I get into a queue? Or am I already in one on the character select screen. Trying to get in but the numbers keep going up and down.

edit-Nevermind, I'm too impatient sometimes.

Thanks. Are the bsttles always auto? I know R2 allows me control, but can I shoot individual arrows too?

You can do special attacks by holding the trigger and choosing one from your hot bar, that's the closest you can come to doing individual attacks. Most fights are constantly using special attacks , the basic "auto attack" is kind-of a backup in case you have no TP for your specials.

Fehyd

Banned
So kb/m plays exactly like pc. Just have to select the mouse button in character options.

Heck, razer naga mmo mouse even worked, along with all the number buttons.

Codiox

Played 2h, the graphics are nice,but its a shame they call it final fantasy because its just another boring mmorpg. Kill 5 of those, collect 5 of them....

Majanew

Banned
Sucks so far. What is the frame-rate, 10fps? Ugh. Graphics look good for an MMO but that fame-rate is horrible.

And small boxes with small font everywhere. Just an unnecessary complicated HUD, and it's hard to read.

Played 2h, the graphics are nice,but its a shame they call it final fantasy because its just another boring mmorpg. Kill 5 of those, collect 5 of them....

The story, characters, music and cutscenes are very Final Fantasy-like; the rest, yes, is a great WoW clone. The trick is the first couple hours is mostly tutorial. The story really kicks in at level 15 (as long as you have been doing the main storyline quests). Also, don't forget to do your class quests every 5 levels, aside from the new weapons you get as a reward the class quests also tell their own stories.

Hellers

Don't forget to sit at the title screen for a few minutes to watch the much better version of the opening cinematic. Without the awful voiceover.

Well damn, still can't fix what seems to be wrong with my Beta. It doesn,t even give me the choice to create a new square enix account on the menus of the Beta. I can only click on the "I currently possess a square account" and when I do click it, my username is already in and it's suspended because of suspicious activity AND I cannot delete it.

Can,t get a password reset either from it since it seems my e-mail aint compatible with any account. ARG.

Have you tried logging into MogStation with your SE ID and password? You should be able to check/update your account information there.

ethomaz

Banned
The Configuration menu suffers the same issues than the login page... needs to be fullscreen... I needed to wake up and go close to TV to read what was wrote.

Fix that S-E.

Creating my character...and holy shit at the tiny text everywhere. Anyway to enlarge this?

Yes, hit the start button, go to system tab, select and open HUD LAYOUT.

From here you will see a bunch of boxes, each box is a different element on the screen, you can select the name of the box you want to modify, from the box down menu, once you selected the element you want to modify, you can click the L analog to changes it sie, use the analog to move it's position on the screen and also, press triangle to toggle the element on or off.

ethomaz

Banned
All the menus have the text too small... I will need to set my PS4 in 720p because I can't read them... it a shame even for the beta.

Dante316

Pre-order cancelled, seriously.

My only problem is that this game fails the 10ft test, I cannot read a fucking thing from comfy couch, never mind remote play.
Unless they sort that made-for-monitors UI out, this is unplayable.

All the menus have the text too small... I will need to set my PS4 in 720p because I can't read the most... it a shame even for the beta.

They will fix that by launch. Its not not a major thing that cant be fixed.

aceface

My only problem is that this game fails the 10ft test, I cannot read a fucking thing from comfy couch, never mind remote play.

You'd almost think that the purpose of the beta is to identify and fix issues like this.

Sophia

Assuming it's the same as it is on PC... When you're in game, you can adjust the size of the user interface by going into the HUD layout, selecting something, and clicking the right analog stick in.

There are five sizes.

Yoshida explicitly mentioned that they'd probably adjust the UI elements for remote play during this. So don't jump to conclusions or anything.

OMG guys, YOU CAN CHANGE THE FONT SIZE OF ALL THE TEXT IN THIS GAME.

You can make the text too damn big, along with everything on your screen. The UI is completely customizable!!!

It's PC level of customization, like you can place any element on the UI in literally anyplace on the screen and make it very big or small if you want.

ethomaz

Banned

You can make the text too damn big, along with everything on your screen. The UI is completely customizable!!!

It's PC level of customization, like you can place any element on the UI in literally anyplace on the screen and make it very big or small if you want.
Where?

Soi-Fong

Played for a couple hours

Seemed kinda fun. A lot more engaging then I thought it would be.

I tried an Archer but I noticed a lotof archers and mages. Didn't see one single person swinging a sword when I played.

The music is beautiful and it looks really good for an MMO. I might keep on playing sometime tomorrow.

Think I might change my character though, since I'm not sure if the Archer thing was for me.

Depends on where you are. Seems like you started in Gridania in which the Archer, Conjurer and Lancer class start out.

Edit: double post, sorry.

game looks good, very comparable to PC. comparable in too many ways like the text being too small, which is why I usually scale it to 720p when running it htpc to the TV. text is still more readable then pc for me though. I also don't know how to change the size of the chat window, I can adjust text size for chat but not the window.

texture shimmer is an isssue, seems worse than PC. shadows look good, lighting looks good though.

the LOD seems.... noticeable, more than PC which is a bad thing but it's OK.

frame rate appears rough but there are a lot of people on.

Hellers

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed playing this game. I used to find grinding botany and mining very relaxing.

Also this

wjOfCA2.jpg

Stuart444

You can't adjust the text of speech or the individual UI text. You can adjust the chat text in the log file options though (same place where you can remove the profanity filter or change text colours).

They will need to fix this though, (the text sizes), it's hard enough for people with good eyesight let alone people that have eye issues.

Welp, I had enough. Game sucks. Will bomb.

PS3 version didn't bomb, this won't either.

Cmagus

Played for a couple hours

Seemed kinda fun. A lot more engaging then I thought it would be.

I tried an Archer but I noticed a lotof archers and mages. Didn't see one single person swinging a sword when I played.

The music is beautiful and it looks really good for an MMO. I might keep on playing sometime tomorrow.

Think I might change my character though, since I'm not sure if the Archer thing was for me.

The reason you didn't see anyone with a sword is because the classes are locked to the starting regions at first. Gladiators are in Uldah and Marauders are in Limsa Lominsa. I don't agree with this design but it really isn't a big deal. The first 15 levels in this is basically teaching you everything like getting around, crafting, hunting log and all other basic stuff.

The game opens up at 15 as you will unlock the ability to use the airships which then will give you access to the other areas and from there you will see a mix of classes. At this point you will also unlock your first dungeon and from that point you will unlock more dungeons frequently and at this point you will have Guildhests unlocked.

As for the archer thing stick with because once you hit lvl 10 you will gain the ability to get another class. Not only this when you start getting other classes you can share abilities between them which is very helpful its probably the best thing about this game. The freedom to play what you want when you want really makes this game stand out .In no time you'll have all unlocked and plenty of options.

Stick with it there is alot of cool stuff to do and I know the beginning drags abit but when it opens up it becomes less about fetch quests and small things and more about dungeons and looting.

I'm surprised how good this game looks and runs in the beta. It certainly looks nicer than my PC.I think I will need to pick up a mouse and keyboard for this as I really only used the PS3 version for crafting and gathering. The only thing I'm not big on is the track pad stuff I mean its a nice option but it just doesn't feel good in my opinion.

Even on a PC, if you have to manually modify each UI element to make things readable people would be upset. This is also ignoring the problem that figuring out what to do is hard because of the tiny text.

This is just poor execution, and its going to hurt the game if Square-Enix expects people to pay a monthly fee. Hope they patch a sensible solution soon.

Sophia

For those of us on beta server 5 is there a GAF Linkshell yet? If not I can make once in just a second and invite people.

The only thing I'm not big on is the track pad stuff I mean its a nice option but it just doesn't feel good in my opinion.

The trackpad needs a couple tweaks. Refining the "mouse" movement and they should add the ability to click in the trackpad button to select something.

molnizzle

I prefer the tap to pushing the pad. Feels a bit natural

I've been conditioned by years of MacBooking to click, this is weird.

Also, everyone is saying you can change the text size of the dialogue. How? The only font options I'm seeing is for the actual log box itself. Who cares about that? I need the actual dialogue text to be larger.

So I see, you can't change the size of the options and inventory and non-UI screens. But this being the beta, I'm sure quite a few people made their voices heard about the small text.

Well, the be honest, this same thing happens on a computer when you change the resolution from 720p to something higher, it seems like everything gets smaller and smaller.

I was able to change the size of a lot of things, even the chat window text, but the stuff like the character equip menu and the inventory and the pause menu are still small text.

Grisby

Yes, hit the start button, go to system tab, select and open HUD LAYOUT.

From here you will see a bunch of boxes, each box is a different element on the screen, you can select the name of the box you want to modify, from the box down menu, once you selected the element you want to modify, you can click the L analog to changes it sie, use the analog to move it's position on the screen and also, press triangle to toggle the element on or off.
Gonna try this later. Text was unreadable for me unless I got a few inches from my screen.

Game has a simple look (started in forest) but its very clean.

Just seeing Chocobos and Moogles with that title music was awesome. It's an mmo but I need to see more of it before making a decision on purchasing.

Framerate was iffy but not game breaking so far. Lotta peeps running around though. Wow, it's been so long since I've played a proper mmo.

Created a new account (most annoying thing to do with a controller) and it said it sent an activation code to my email, 20 minutes later I still have no email from them :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom