• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
Newbie question

I can see where I have to go for my first quest and I can centre the map on myself, but I can't see where I am in relation to getting to the objective - any tips from the pros?

Sophia

So I see, you can't change the size of the options and inventory and non-UI screens. But this being the beta, I'm sure quite a few people made their voices heard about the small text.

Well, the be honest, this same thing happens on a computer when you change the resolution from 720p to something higher, it seems like everything gets smaller and smaller.

I was able to change the size of a lot of things, even the chat window text, but the stuff like the character equip menu and the inventory and the pause menu are still small text.

Yeah, currently only gameplay UI elements are adjustable. I don't think there's an option to make the story chatboxes big even on PC.

If you're on beta server 5, I made a NeoGAF linkshell. Whisper my character (Ishamaru Isorath) if you want an invite. Much easier to help people if I'm in the game rather then having to switch back and fourth between the PC and PS4. >.<;

Is clicking the pad a different function to tap?

Tapping the pad refers to the touch-pad itself, where as clicking it refers to actually pressing the button on the pad in.

I think someone said changing ps4 resolution to 720p helps. sucks, what can you do

This is BETA. You do what BETA is meant for and complain about the issue in the forums.

With enough complaining, Square will likely patch in either a " change font size " option in the options menu or just increase the font overall before the Beta is even finished. Wouldn't take much.

Can't wait to get home and play more! Took an hour last night just to get my initial character Neo Meteo into the game world, thanks to being dumb and backing out of character creation initially which caused a 40 minute delay in creating my 2nd character lol. Ended up passing out at 3:20am, woke up for work at 5:40am. Good times!

Jomjom

Banned
Was anyone able to register the beta to their main account? For whatever reason it wouldnt let me. I still registered it under my login and password but now i have to pick between account 1 or 2 after logging in.

Tagg9

Does anyone starting out want to team up? Please keep in mind, I have no clue what I'm doing - I'm currently about to start combat training. My PSN ID is TaggSte.

ethomaz

Banned
This is BETA. You do what BETA is meant for and complain about the issue in the forums.

With enough complaining, Square will likely patch in either a " change font size " option in the options menu or just increase the font overall before the Beta is even finished. Wouldn't take much.
There are any place to report this issues... I mean official place?

BTW the PC is like that yet and people complained a lot... so this BETA like that shows they are not so open to change and it is terrible (I have good eyes).

Sophia

Was anyone able to register the beta to their main account? For whatever reason it wouldnt let me. I still registered it under my login and password but now i have to pick between account 1 or 2 after logging in.

Yeah, it appears to add a second service account if you have a Windows service account already active. Just select whatever is your primary account (Probably 1)

There are any place to report this issues... I mean official place?

BTW the PC is like that yet and people complained a lot... so this BETA like that shows they are not so open to change and it is terrible (I have good eyes).

The developers respond at the official forums: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forum.php

Best place to make yourself heard, as long as you're polite.

Is clicking the pad a different function to tap?

OOOHHH, so THATS how I was able to select something with the tracpad.

Didn't know the tracpad was able to tap, i thought it was a click only option.

But the CLICKING of the tracpad toggles between elements thats visible on your UI screen. For example, clicking the tracpad can switch between the mini map and chat window and using the d-pad to select individual items on the element itself.

On the PS3, the select button did this option, but since the PS4 doesn't have a select button, and its now a share button, they had to use the tracpad to do that action.

But now that I know that tapping works, thats how I was able to "grab" the right corner of the chat window and drag it out to make the chat window bigger, by double tapping(not clicking) the tracpad.

At first I kept "clicking" it and it was switching between the UI elements, and I tried hit the X button, but that was selection people.

but the tracpad does need some tweaking though.

MilkBeard

Yeah, it appears to add a second service account if you have a Windows service account already active. Just select whatever is your primary account (Probably 1)

The developers respond at the official forums: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forum.php

To go one step further, here is the thread that someone has made on this very topic. I would recommend everyone go there and complain now:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/147906-PS4-UI-Scaling

todd360

I can't find any solutions for error 20019. I found a page with a lot of people complaining about it though. One guy said he called Sony and they said the problem isn't on their end. I was so excited to play :(

Pimpwerx

I played late last night for a couple hours.

First, it took me 1.5hrs to setup and get into a server. The SE initial setup interface is horrible. Looks ripped straight from PC. The resolution is a nightmare. By the way, I'd downloaded the game a few days ago, so taking that long despite not having the initial, large download is bad. It's a beta though. They can easily fix this.

Getting into a server was troublesome with all the full servers, but again, just beta teething. I made 2 characters to try on 2 different servers. One of them got in after about 5 minutes and I got to play a couple hours.

I enjoyed the time, much to my surprise. I'm just lvl3, but the visuals and actual game experience was fun. I enjoy grinding in RPGs, so looks like fun. As long as the combat system expands and offers new challenges, I can really dig it.

I don't much lik e the map system in the city I'm in, Ul'dah. The quests span multiple parts of the city, but the map can only show small parts of the city. So it's confusing figuring out what part of town a waypoint is located in. Maybe put a waypoint indicator on screen as part of the HUD. It would make navigation so much easier and make the poorly sized HUD less of an issue. I'm just glad I have great eyesite. The tiny icons littered around the HUD are really yard to read, even on my 55 inch TV.

Cool game. Will play more today. Will this game be f2p when released? I really hope so. PEACE.

MilkBeard

Haha. SE has had a text issue since the PC beta. Good luck on getting them to change it.

The problem now is that every single PS4 owner will be playing on a tv, most likely with 1080p, so this will in fact affect all of them, unless they have big-ass tvs. I was playing on a 47" tv which was doable, but the text size was still noticeably small, and if I were to actually sit at my couch I'd still have to squint to see it.

Ok I want to move and make the chat box bigger, how do I do that? I use the trackpad to drag the cursor over to the top right of the chat box and the cursor changes into a 4 arrow shape one so I assume that means you can drag it around but I can't figure out how to actually grab hold of it. Any ideas?

MilkBeard

Anyway, as for my playtime, I went in for another hour or so, and did some quests and beat up some monsters. This game is fun, and I can see myself getting addicted. I met someone and we added each other to in-game friends list. I can tell that once we all get the hang of the game it will be really fun to play with others. I can't wait to go deeper, and I'm really considering doing the subscription for the game when it comes out, at least for a few months.

Cool game. Will play more today. Will this game be f2p when released? I really hope so. PEACE.

No, subscription service. And If the recent information about FFXIV being one of SE's highest providers is right, I doubt you will be seeing f2p anytime soon for this game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The problem now is that every single PS4 owner will be playing on a tv, most likely with 1080p, so this will in fact affect all of them, unless they have big-ass tvs. I was playing on a 47" tv which was doable, but the text size was still noticeably small, and if I were to actually sit at my couch I'd still have to squint to see it.

Every single PS3 owner is playing on a TV and they still give no fucks. lol

Jomjom

Banned

Ah so theres no way to have everything under account 1 right? My primary account already had ps3 and pc registered.

Also wheres the GAF FC or LS?

I think someone said changing ps4 resolution to 720p helps. sucks, what can you do

that makes sense, it's exactly what I do for pc when playing on my TV. I think I do gpu scaling from 1080p to 720p.

you can always r3 when your selling items or looking at your inventory but it gets old.

Sophia

They've given official subscriber numbers?

Yes. They're actually over 1.8 million.

Is the PS3 version 1080p? I haven't seen it running on a tv but it seems it affects the higher resolution mostly.

PS3 version runs at 720p, and all the UI elements are much bigger.

For those on the fence, the game gets significantly better at level 20 and above.

Heh... this first beta test only goes up to level 20. But you're right, the early levels are basically a tutorial.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Is the PS3 version 1080p? I haven't seen it running on a tv but it seems it affects the higher resolution mostly.

I don't know but it's been an issue for PS3 gamers from the get. Make some noise though. They might start to care but all indications tell me they won't.

Aeana

Seems like the framerate is fine outside of towns, which is expected. It's worse than my PC all around, but waaaaaaaay better than PS3 in every way.

I keep pressing the share button instead of the track pad. PC with xbox360 controller for me screwed up.

I'm noticing much better frame rates outside of towns. I just did a fate with a ton of people and it ran great, better than my PC.

Sophia

I'd have to find it again. Gimme a few.

Seems like the framerate is fine outside of towns, which is expected. It's worse than my PC all around, but waaaaaaaay better than PS3 in every way.

Performance is better for me than on my PC, plus I have the ability to stream which is really awesome. Mind you, my CPU is kind of crap. XD

Perhaps more then that, it seems to handle a ton of players on screen better then the PC version does. No 60 FPS or anything, but it's actually playable.

OneUh8

The text issue is sort of a problem. I can read it, but I can see how others would have a big issue with it. Other than that, I enjoyed what I have played thus far. I can already see what a time sink this game will be. But I like it so far.

Chesskid1

Banned
If the PS3 UI was too small for some people, the PS4 UI is like 200% smaller so it's going to be way worse.

Did anyone try the PS4 @ 720p yet?

Number45

If the PS3 UI was too small for some people, the PS4 UI is like 200% smaller so it's going to be way worse.

Did anyone try the PS4 @ 720p yet?
The PS3 UI is too small for some people? I feel like the UI buries the game, really looking forward to PS4 launch.

yeah ps3 was awful. what are your PC stats? I'm just curious, because overall the game runs a little better on ps4 than my PC, but I'm sporting and old and 965be stock with a gtx760. I'm guessing it runs better than mine due to the old CPU I have

Aeana

I'd have to find it again. Gimme a few.

Performance is better for me than on my PC, plus I have the ability to stream which is really awesome. Mind you, my CPU is kind of crap. XD

Perhaps more then that, it seems to handle a ton of players on screen better then the PC version does. No 60 FPS or anything, but it's actually playable.
Eh, not even close for me (I don't ever go below 30 FPS in Revenant's Toll on my PC), but it's fine. I was just wondering what was up with the people who were complaining about the game being 15 FPS, and I'm going to assume they were in town.

yeah ps3 was awful. what are your PC stats? I'm just curious, because overall the game runs a little better on ps4 than my PC, but I'm sporting and old and 965be stock with a gtx760. I'm guessing it runs better than mine due to the old CPU I have

i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz, GTX 670.

Mumford

Me and a friend are having issues joining the worlds, we're at the end of the character creation screen. What should we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom