• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JON4495

Is there a way to set a waypoint on the map or something? I've got to go to the gladiator guild but I have no idea where it is. I only found the aetheryte crystal by luck

Gaz_RB

Thanks for the tip, I haven't explored the configuration options because all of the different settings felt overwhelming to begin with.

Yeah I thought so as well. This is a game where taking the time to understand everything really pays off, I've found.

Spy

I tried this game last night and I just can't get into MMO's anymore. I feel so weird playing this; the cat girls running around doesn't make it any better.

Is there a way to set a waypoint on the map or something? I've got to go to the gladiator guild but I have no idea where it is. I only found the aetheryte crystal by luck

Map is confusing, I agree. The thing I do is check the full map in the menu to get an idea of which way I need to go. I'll check the area that I'm in on the map and the area where I want to go to on the map. Then kind of look to see what areas join other areas and head that way.

yeah, even trying to explain it is confusing. lol

This helped me -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS618S5aFw4

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nice upgrade from PS3.

The textures and pop-in is severely improved, almost night and day. Often NPC's, other players, textures, and enemies, etc... regularly popped-in mere inches from the player depending on how much load the zone had, but even occurred on less populated areas. On PS4, everything is displayed even at incredible distances without much(or any noticeable) downscaling to the resolution quality. On PS3 you often noticed the threshold zone where the quality is reduced several feet in front of you.

As for framerate, right now with everyone clumped in starter zones and cities, the framerate can be low, but I imagine like PS3 this will climb steadily as you grow to enter less populated areas. It's not quite as bad as it ever got on PS3, but its hard to fault the decreased framerate in starter areas when so much is displayed on screen(unless PC held consistent high framerates which I barely played). I imagine this is due to server load and not hardware. Just takes time to acclimate and eventually in the mid-late game its not much an issue spending time away from the newbie areas.

Lots of subtle changes to the UI and control interface from PS3 launch month. Nifty to start seeing all these patch updates live since I last played at the end of the free trial month last year. The touchpad works as I expected, replacing the somewhat tedious analog stick mouse movement for certain actions. Far more comfy. Though sad the UI is scaled so small with the resolution bump to 1080p.

Dying to jump back in with my old heroes in phase 2, kind of hard to commit to a new beta toon with a ticking clock until wipe, but its nice to get re-acquainted with the control scheme and actions to prep for the real deal. One of my fav games of last year and I held off subbing when this port was announced near the end of the freebie month.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What to do when 'the world is full" on all servers?`:( couldn't find a solution so far

edit of course, now it works -.-

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a penalty for dying? I'm level two and about to go check out the wilds surrounding Ul'dah.

Noi

What I can't figure out how to do is how to make the physical dialogue box itself bigger on the PS4. The drag icon is in the top right corner to resize it, but I don't know how to actually do it.

Late reply, but you can click on it by either double tapping the touchpad (tap, not pressing in the button), or using the virtual mouse (L1+R3) and left clicking with L2 that way.

Sophia

Yeah I thought so as well. This is a game where taking the time to understand everything really pays off, I've found.

A tip for targeting: Set your Cross-hotbar mode in the Character Configuration to Toggle or Mixed. Then when the bar is enabled you can switch enemy targets using L1 or R1.

Is there a penalty for dying? I'm level two and about to go check out the wilds surrounding Ul'dah.

There is no penalty below level 10. After level 10 your equipment will take durability damage and will need to be repaired either by yourself or by a mender NPC for a cost.

Storm360

Disappointing, Loaded it up, the framerate was really bad and I can't read anything, I'll try it again in a later beta but I'm not sold as is.

Chris R

Fuuuuuuuck can't remember my login info :( I remember having this issue when beta testing ARR lol And of course my secret answer info is all kinds of wrong :(

Need to write this shit down. I figured it out last time, at least SE doesn't lock you out after so many attempts.

Noi

At the beginning, not much.

Later on, humiliation and having to pay money to warp back to where you were if you were on the other side of the continent.

AmyS

When I was exploring The Lower Decks last night on PS4 it was mostly 60 FPS, but now there's a ton of people running around, so it's around ~30 FPS or so now, give or take.

PS4 easily trounces PS3, but there's no way it can match a highend 2013 PC.

Fuuuuuuuck can't remember my login info :( I remember having this issue when beta testing ARR lol And of course my secret answer info is all kinds of wrong :(

Need to write this shit down. I figured it out last time, at least SE doesn't lock you out after so many attempts.

Same and then finally remembered and it said my account was locked for suspicious activity and I had to reset my password. Ugh well this thing won't install. While doing first time setup, after logging in, it gets to like 20% and then system error has occured =\

Chris R

Same and then finally remembered and it said my account was locked for suspicious activity and I had to reset my password

Ah man, I hope the same doesn't happen for me. If it does whatever, just wasted the bandwidth downloading the beta, if I ever wanted to play XIV again I'd probably be frustrated by the account recovery process before I got logged in and paid lol

So has anyone else had issues getting this installed? I'm able to link my accounts, login, and then at the first-time setup screen where it shows all the news it gets up to 20 something percent before getting a system error. Tried 3 times even rebooted

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in Ul'dah on Beta 5 want to party up? I'm a level 3 Gladiator and I have no idea what I'm doing. Let's go kill stuff or do story stuff?

Carbonox

Square-Enix's registration/login process is the most insufferable pile of wank I've ever sat through. Whoever configured these multiple routes required just to create a damn account/log in to one needs a slap.

How do I log in to the FFXIV website? Do I need the game or something to be able to do so? It asks for my Square-Enix account ID and password which I have set up. However, if I were to go in the account management site, it says I am not registered. What is this utter garbage?

If someone can clarify that would be great.

comedian

"Played for 20 minutes" ... I have no idea what I'm doing, where I'm supposed to go, or how the button config. works. Also, I haven't had to fight anything ....

This is pretty woeful

todd360

Some guy on a different forum said that deleting game and then rebuilding database and then redownloading the game worked for him so i'm currently trying that out. 1gb out of 10 done so far. Curse American internet providers. Google Fiber where art thou!

george_us

Got to level 5 with a female Elezen Lancer before heading into the office. Overall I had a lot of fun but the UI is awful with the text and map being the main culprits. Still I'm itching to play more which can only be a good sign. Hearing the Prelude drowns me nostalgia juice.

zod18

Banned
I tried to like this game (got 2 chars on lvl 10) but am I the only one who thinks this is a MMO for casuals?
I mean, no big differences in classes, not much customization, almost no equipment drops besides quests, no rare/elite mobs, no chests/collectibles in the world ...will it get better on higher levels?

Ashtar

Got sick of being a punching bag as a healer so I made a Braveheart Esque crusader had to try a few times to get into the world again..... can't believe I have to watch this intro again smh

Isaccard

I tried to like this game (got 2 chars on lvl 10) but am I the only one who thinks this is a MMO for casuals?
I mean, no big differences in classes, not much customization, almost no equipment drops besides quests, no rare/elite mobs, no chests/collectibles in the world ...will it get better on higher levels?

3/10

Sophia

Square-Enix's registration/login process is the most insufferable pile of wank I've ever sat through. Whoever configured these multiple routes required just to create a damn account/log in to one needs a slap.

How do I log in to the FFXIV website? Do I need the game or something to be able to do so? It asks for my Square-Enix account ID and password which I have set up. However, if I were to go in the account management site, it says I am not registered. What is this utter garbage?

If someone can clarify that would be great.

You are going to the MogStation correct?

You do not go to Square-Enix.com for your FFXIV account.

Is the text size this small as well in the ps3 version? Jesus it is all so tiny. Cant read the dialogue without squinting

The UI as it is in the beta is fundamentally identical to the PC version. Part of the reason for the beta test was no doubt to iron out these issues.

Played all day up to level 11 things are slowly getting better.
Hopefully this continues.

Mouse + controller is really helpful casting in a fate is stupid with the d-pad.

jony_m

Tried again this am and changed the ui element sizes as some suggested, it's much better. The dialog text is still kicking my ass but I'm just skipping that and reading quest info in the duty log.

There are world bosses and fates but apart from that there is just class quests which can sometimes be difficult. Or some of them at launch were no idea if any of those were nerfed. I remember at launch most people in gaf guild just leveled through fate farming. I've no idea if something like that is feasible now since at launch the game was packed with tons of people and it was rather easy to level that way. I had a ton of fun with gaf at launch but never ended up subbing.

SkyOdin

There should be quest markers on the mini-map and full map indicating where all of your current quest objectives are. The minimap markers are displayed for all of the quests listed on the right side of the screen. If you take more than six or seven quests though, some of them will have their markers turned off, since there is a limit on the number of displayed quests. I believe 2.16 reinstated the ability to manually adjust that list, however.

In any case, the Gladiator guild is located in the Coliseum, which is found in the interior part of Ul'Dah. From the Aetheryte crystal, you can follow the main road west and south until you find an entrance to your left. That leads straight into the Coliseum and Gladiator's Guild.

In any case, you will be able to find everything in Ul'dah if you do all of the quests that you see in the order you find them. The intro quests are designed to lead you around a fairly convenient circuit of the city.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Kharg lun' Khaan keeps getting denied access to the beta worlds due to not accepting any characters.

His bloodlust is rising.

phierce

You got to level fucking 10! What did you honestly expect? Hell, you could easily be level 5+ without stepping foot out of your starting city. Did you really expect them to toss raids and rare mobs and über epic chests at you that early?

Pick something else to bitch about...not pre-level 10 content...

I can sort of see where your coming from. I mean it is easy to pop in play a few minutes then pop out. Where other MMO's you may need to serch for a group to even do much of anything. It's nothing like FF11.

And yeah, when you get to the point that you can do things like become an archer but level up another class so you get heal as well. Then get to the point where you can meld materia to armor and stuff it gets really neat. You can change the colors of most clothing too. you can also just log in and stare at all the pretty catgirls too. So its like an MMO for casual pervs with a hint of beastiality. if only it had ponies.

zod18

Banned

?

There are world bosses and fates but apart from that there is just class quests which can sometimes be difficult. Or some of them at launch were no idea if any of those were nerfed. I remember at launch most people in gaf guild just leveled through fate farming. I've no idea if something like that is feasible now since at launch the game was packed with tons of people and it was rather easy to level that way. I had a ton of fun with gaf at launch but never ended up subbing.

Ok so this won't turn me over I guess ...I played WoW (and a handful other MMO's) for almost 4 years and I feel that even though this game looks gorgeous and it does so much right, it's missing something.to keep me entertained. I guess the MMO genre really needs to be re-vitalized somehow after WoW did almost everything right.

You got to level fucking 10! What did you honestly expect? Hell, you could easily be level 5+ without stepping foot out of your starting city. Did you really expect them to toss raids and rare mobs and über epic chests at you that early?

Pick something else to bitch about...not pre-level 10 content...

Instead of bitching about my comment you could explain how it will change in the later levels. What else do you want to hear? I can also tell you that I dislike the targeting-system, the map, the boring quest dialogues and the lame combat. It's just not enough these days even though it's a good game.

nubbe

Ok so this won't turn me over I guess ...I played WoW (and a handful other MMO's) for almost 4 years and I feel that even though this game looks gorgeous and it does so much right, it's missing something.to keep me entertained. I guess the MMO genre really needs to be re-vitalized somehow after WoW did almost everything right.
Sounds like you want the Diablo or Torchlight type of game

Carbonox

You are going to the MogStation correct?

You do not go to Square-Enix.com for your FFXIV account.

I didn't know that - the registration process, nor the FFXIV website logging in process make any mention of this. :lol

Anyway, I can't complete registration without a code of sorts which is given if I buy the game. Considering I'm not buying it until I get as much out of the beta as I can, I guess I cannot log in to the site until I actually do buy it?

So unnecessarily confusing.

Sophia

I didn't know that - the registration process, nor the FFXIV website logging in process make any mention of this. :lol

Anyway, I can't complete registration without a code of sorts which is given if I buy the game. Considering I'm not buying it until I get as much out of the beta as I can, I guess I cannot log in to the site until I actually do buy it?

So unnecessarily confusing.

Linking your PSN account with your Square-Enix account in the launcher program should activate a service on your account, allowing you access to account management at the MogStation.

How exactly do you change the window size?

Press R3 when you have something selected on the HUD layout menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom