• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

iori9999

Banned
Ok so I played this on PC for like a few months and stopped when the free time was up.. Can I still play beta with my old lvl 50 WTM?

phierce

HUD Customization > R3. That will change the size of the window you choose from the drop down menu (ie: hot bar 1, pet bar, etc).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Damn, don't think I can play this game. HUD doesn't seem to have transparency options and I don't want to deal with IR issues on my plasma.

Gaz_RB

I didn't know that - the registration process, nor the FFXIV website logging in process make any mention of this. :lol

Anyway, I can't complete registration without a code of sorts which is given if I buy the game. Considering I'm not buying it until I get as much out of the beta as I can, I guess I cannot log in to the site until I actually do buy it?

So unnecessarily confusing.
Wait... you don't need to buy anything... Where does it say you have to have a code? The only code you need is the confirmation code they email you.
Are you using the PS4 launcher to register?

pixlexic

Banned
game is a little rough compared to my experience with the pc version but is completely playable.

What I think is cool is the new stuff they added to the starting areas that were not there when I went through them before.

Sophia

Wait... you don't need to buy anything... Where does it say you have to have a code? The only code you need is the confirmation code they email you.

If there is no service registered to the account (you register one when you sign up for the beta) then it will ask you for a code under the assumption that you're registering a new account.

I didn't know that - the registration process, nor the FFXIV website logging in process make any mention of this. :lol

Anyway, I can't complete registration without a code of sorts which is given if I buy the game. Considering I'm not buying it until I get as much out of the beta as I can, I guess I cannot log in to the site until I actually do buy it?

So unnecessarily confusing.

It is confusing. I went through the same mess trying to add my PS3 account with the PC one. Had all kinds of issues.

Having fun with my conjurer just like I did last beta. Can't believe I forgot what D-Pad buttons are used for targeting what. I usually have to check every few seconds because I keep forgetting.

Damn, don't think I can play this game. HUD doesn't seem to have transparency options and I don't want to deal with IR issues on my plasma.

Yeah, I was worried about that as well. While mt screen doesn't get burn-in, it has got image persistence (or whatever the lighter version of burn-in is called). Hope there's a transperancy option I'm not seeing, or it's added.

Taruranto

?

Ok so this won't turn me over I guess ...I played WoW (and a handful other MMO's) for almost 4 years and I feel that even though this game looks gorgeous and it does so much right, it's missing something.to keep me entertained. I guess the MMO genre really needs to be re-vitalized somehow after WoW did almost everything right.

Instead of bitching about my comment you could explain how it will change in the later levels. What else do you want to hear? I can also tell you that I dislike the targeting-system, the map, the boring quest dialogues and the lame combat. It's just not enough these days even though it's a good game.

Yoshida himself defined this game "for casual"; so take it as you want.

Anyway yeah, it's the usual theme park mmorpg. Instances everywhere, quests based progression, emphasis on solo-play. It doesn't get much different once you reach high levels when it comes to thing like customization and class differences, everything is extremely streamlined and linear.

Oh, you'll need a party to do the end-game instances, but that's it.

lordxar

Really digging this so far. Its amazing how much is on the screen at times. The initial learning curve is kind of steep but once you figure it all out pretty rewarding.

L1 + touchpad whenever you're not in battle and/or don't need the HUD.

Played over 100 hours at launch with my plasma and doing so mitigated the IR. If you want, you can also move around the HUD elements a tad every few hours.

The things plasma owners have to go through!

Carbonox

When I log in to the mognet or whatever website it says I need a registration code which you can get via buying the game or some other route which isn't clear.

I guess it would be far simpler for me to do this if I did through the PS4 launcher? :p

Gaz_RB

How long is phase 1? Kind of don't like the idea of spending all this time and having my character wiped heh

Fairly long. Phase 2 is much shorter.

When I log in to the mognet or whatever website it says I need a registration code which you can get via buying the game or some other route which isn't clear.

I guess it would be far simpler for me to do this if I did through the PS4 launcher? :p

Definitely. Which makes no sense. It should be easier on PC, one would think....

does anyone know how to grab with the cursor because somehow I managed to move the chat box to the side of the screen and its quite annoying.

Chesskid1

Banned
How long is phase 1? Kind of don't like the idea of spending all this time and having my character wiped heh

Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Monday, March 3, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. (PST)

re: the latter, i feel you. i only put in 2-3 hours to see how it runs, don't see me putting much more.

Well so far I'm enjoying the crispness of the game, going back to PS3 version will be hard =/

Only 2 month wait >_<

My HUD Layout:
eZU2MJ0.jpg

How it looks:
jbLPTTi.jpg

Good fun for a few hours:
w4YjMSN.jpg

How did you stretch the chat box. I got everything the way I want it, but the chat box.

Sophia

Virtually every problem everyone seems to be having with account management is due to forgetting critical information or trying to do it through something other then the PS4 Launcher despite the PS4 launcher being mandatory to add the service to the account needed to even access any other account management options for new users.

Or simply put: Yes, it would be.

How did you stretch the chat box. I got everything the way I want it, but the chat box.

L1 + R3 to enter cursor mode, then drag the corner using the mouse cursor.

BibiMaghoo

Need a quick fire answer guys. About to play this with my partner, do we just select the same 'beta world' in order to play together, then meet in the same spot?

Gaz_RB

Need a quick fire answer guys. About to play this with my partner, do we just select the same 'beta world' in order to play together, then meet in the same spot?
Same world, yes.
You probably want to pick the same job as well, so you start in the same city.

I tried an Archer but I noticed a lotof archers and mages. Didn't see one single person swinging a sword when I played.
Your beginning class determines the city you start in. That's why you're seeing so many Conjurers, Archers and Lancers in Gridania.

You'll be given a story quest at around level 10 or so that lets you change classes whenever you want, no need to reroll unless you don't like the look of your character.

def sim

I was playing with a buddy and I liked it enough that I bought it on steam. I'm glad it's cross platform, I'm not too keen about the performance on console.

SkyOdin

I tried to like this game (got 2 chars on lvl 10) but am I the only one who thinks this is a MMO for casuals?
I mean, no big differences in classes, not much customization, almost no equipment drops besides quests, no rare/elite mobs, no chests/collectibles in the world ...will it get better on higher levels?

The gme doesn't really get going until you hit the first dungeons at level 15. In there, you can find all sorts of loot drops, such as aetherial gear with randomized stats and unique dungeon gear. The dungeons can also be quite a bit harder than the solo content if you don't know what you are doing.

And the game requires you to go through these party dungeons. You can't progress the main story without doing dungeons at various points, and you can't unlock the endgame content without clearing the main story first. There are also the primal battles, which are very complex and difficult fights. Many dungeon bosses are very complicated encounters.

Currently in the game, running dungeons is considered the fastest means of leveling, and all end-game content is nothing but dungeons and primal battles.

As such, you can't really get a full idea of what FFXIV is like until you have at least hit level 15 and run through Sastasha. Even then, Ifrit at level 20 will be the first taste of the game's serious combat challenge. It is much easier these days with high-level players helping out regularly, but Ifrit is just the easiest of the lot. Stuff like Titan Hard Mode can't be reliably beaten even by an entire team of experienced and geared players who have done it before, since even the tiniest mistake can end a run. Then there are the Extreme Mode Primals that are even stronger than that.

hello do the female characters wear chainmail bikinis throughout the game or should i make a male one
There usually isn't that much difference in gear appearance between male and female models. The harness/subligar set or the Coliseum gear is extremely skimpy on female characters, but it is just as skimpy on the men. There is some discrepancy in stuff like level 50 AF gear (like the female Dragoon stomach window), but not much. So if you would be in a chainmail bikini with a female gear, you get a chainmail bikini for the guys.

Most of the gear is very practical and modest in appearance, though. Tanks in particular look like robots half the time.

Virtually every problem everyone seems to be having with account management is due to forgetting critical information or trying to do it through something other then the PS4 Launcher despite the PS4 launcher being mandatory to add the service to the account needed to even access any other account management options for new users.

Or simply put: Yes, it would be.

L1 + R3 to enter cursor mode, then drag the corner using the mouse cursor.

Thanks Sophia!

Sophia

The gme doesn't really get going until you hit the first dungeons at level 15. In there, you can find all sorts of loot drops, such as aetherial gear with randomized stats and unique dungeon gear. The dungeons can also be quite a bit harder than the solo content if you don't know what you are doing.

And the game requires you to go through these party dungeons. You can't progress the main story without doing dungeons at various points, and you can't unlock the endgame content without clearing the main story first. There are also the primal battles, which are very complex and difficult fights. Many dungeon bosses are very complicated encounters.

Currently in the game, running dungeons is considered the fastest means of leveling, and all end-game content is nothing but dungeons and primal battles.

As such, you can't really get a full idea of what FFXIV is like until you have at least hit level 15 and run through Sastasha. Even then, Ifrit at level 20 will be the first taste of the game's serious combat challenge. It is much easier these days with high-level players helping out regularly, but Ifrit is just the easiest of the lot. Stuff like Titan Hard Mode can't be reliably beaten even by an entire team of experienced and geared players who have done it before, since even the tiniest mistake can end a run. Then there are the Extreme Mode Primals that are even stronger than that.

To be honest, I think they made a mistake putting this beta on their own servers. Most beginners are going to have difficulty reaching even the beta's level cap of 20. It's going to really suck that they'll lose the progress at the end of this and have to do the tutorial levels all over again.

I'm sure they had their reasons for putting it on its own servers, but they probably weren't very wise ones from a consumer standpoint.

AmyS

This is my first MMORPG, and I am not counting Phantasy Star Online (ver. 1) on Dreamcast in early 2001 right before Sega called it quits on hardware. PSO doesn't even count as it's not a true MMORPG with only 4-player quests.
(no idea about the much more recent PSO2 though).

I am interested in FFXIV ARR enough to perhaps consider a subscription if there are any deals in the summer/fall. However my backlog for PS4 alone, nevermind other systems, will probably make that an unwise investment in the very short term for me personally.

Man, this sure is one hell of a way to get acquainted with the genre, the beta of a brand new version of a recent (2012) MMO (yeah I do realize FFXIV dates back to 2010, the old version before it was Reborn), and on a new console too.

Xater

My main quest line is broken. I am at the quest "In the Grim Darkness of the Forest" and I am supposed to talk to Roseline next. She doesn't have a quest marker. Basically this character is done now. lol

Noi

hello do the female characters wear chainmail bikinis throughout the game or should i make a male one

Odds are that if a female is wearing something you'd call a "chainmail bikini", putting the same armor on a male will give you the same clothes. Game is pretty good about that.

Ken

There's only one set of optional gear that would qualify as chainmail bikini at level 44ish.

So no, it's not really ''throughout'' the game.

Grinchy

Banned
It definitely runs way better than it did on my PC and way better than it did on PS3. I put about 2.5 hours into it earlier and I am sure I'll go back to it later tonight.

I wish the framerate was a little better but it's certainly not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom