• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont like chainmail bikinis!?!

I'm actually okay with them being in the game as long as there are valid non-bikini options for characters of the same class in the same level range. If you feel like you have to wear a chainmail bikini because it's the only statistically viable option, that's when it makes me shake my head.

AmyS

I'm all alone on whatever server I clicked in the desert town/stronghold area UI'dah with the Chocobo mounts. Experiencing 60 frames again in glorious 1080p Combined with the lighting and artwork? Man.

For all the BS of the browser-based launcher / registration shit, password, etc and the small text, it seems SE made the right call to have a variable framerate. There's no way in shit my current PC could run this, not without a serious GPU upgrade. I have no doubts any highend Nvidia or AMD GPU runs the PC version far better, but, if the only console version was PS3, I wouldn't have even bothered.

Cmagus

I'm actually okay with them being in the game as long as there are valid non-bikini options for characters of the same class in the same level range. If you feel like you have to wear a chainmail bikini because it's the only statistically viable option, that's when it makes me shake my head.

The offers plenty of outfit choice that's one thing I like. I can't stand subligars or anything like that they look so tacky but I never had a problem not using them.

idBX3NXYRaUZf.png

iE3tgtSuiOR8R.png

ib0cfor0c8RWg3.png

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, this is pretty fun. Wonder if I should just grab it on PC. Does the PC version have full controller support (to basically play like the PS4 version)? I'd go with the PS4 version but the text size being all small is a pain.

Aeana

Hmm, this is pretty fun. Wonder if I should just grab it on PC. Does the PC version have full controller support (to basically play like the PS4 version)? I'd go with the PS4 version but the text size being all small is a pain.
Yes, the PC version has full controller support. That's how I play it.

Sophia

PS4 UI is identical to the PC one, save for a few PC only settings. I play with a Dualshock 4, and Aeana plays with a controller as she mentioned above.

Bebpo

Banned
Cool, thanks!

I like the combat speed. Doesn't feel too boringly-slow (tried FFXI for a day or two but the combat just felt too slow). Feels closer to FFXII and Xenoblade which I really like. Willing to give MMOs another shot with this game I think.

Ricker

You can hide that one in the options. Then tap R1 to switch between the regular bar and the pet bar.

Got it thanks...read a bit of the manual and you have to do doubble taps or 2 finger taps on the touchpad they say for some stuff lol...I have to try that as well.

todd360

Just did my 3rd install. The rebuid database method didn't work. The first time installed died yet again at 26%. I'm done trying. I can't believe they haven't even acknowledged this error code.

jiggle

game looks so good and runs so smooth
feels almost like a new game just being able to actually see so many PCs running around

the txt/UI though
I can't read shit

Ricker

The text size on the PC is the same though...well if you are hooked up to a HDTV...if you are playing on a PC monitor its the same size as well except,obviously,you are closer...

The small text thing is nothing new,its been there since the first games started to come out in 720p,remember Dead Rising,and now 1080p its even worst...I guess developpers cant render the graphics in 1080p and have the text a different resolution or something for HDTV...or they just dont bother...you get use to it after a while.

The offers plenty of outfit choice that's one thing I like. I can't stand subligars or anything like that they look so tacky but I never had a problem not using them.

Yeah, I haven't played in a long time (I played PC beta and a couple of months after it came out), but the only time I really ever felt like the game was pushing me toward dressing in something ridiculous was the aforementioned Coliseum set.

Otherwise it always struck a nice balance between reasonable and fanservice options for me, especially compared to something like Tera.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
How do you edit your hotbar? Trying to do a leve where im trying to sooth shit but not fun with controller going into menus lol

Gaston

Decided that this game is just not for me, especially on PS4. It is fun, don't get me wrong, and I enjoy the class/job system, but the limited amount of PvP offered in this game really kills it for me more than anything. As far as my beta experience on the PS4 goes, I just can't get past how infuriating the small text and the terrible targeting was.

ViciousDS

Banned
Check character configuration. There are many options there.
Found it my DPI settings on my mouse I was pushing the wrong button but there is no sensitivity in the menus so you have to buy a mouse that has DPI adjustment on the mouse itself which razor my does not, thankfully bought a Mad Catz mouse which does have a DPI button the mouse and I can't believe actually how well designed this is for a madcatz and it works amazing.

Did madcatz up there game in the last few years because the build quality of the cyborg is fantastic

Noi

So it took me a whole hour to get a party for Sastasha. Never thought I'd have to resort to shouting for parties as a Tank, but this is what happens when we're restricted to just one healing class at the start again.

Going from open areas to an instanced dungeon did WONDERS for the framerate though. The inside of dungeons was super smooth and crisp and I wish I'd had a way to accurately gauge the framerate but it was wonderful. I'm crying at the thought of having to go back to the PS3 version to do Coil tonight. Phase 2 can't come soon enough.

Dante316

Found it my DPI settings on my mouse I was pushing the wrong button but there is no sensitivity in the menus so you have to buy a mouse that has DPI adjustment on the mouse itself which razor my does not, thankfully bought a Mad Catz mouse which does have a DPI button the mouse and I can't believe actually how well designed this is for a madcatz and it works amazing.

Did madcatz up there game in the last few years because the build quality of the cyborg is fantastic

Hmmm I did mess with touch pad sensitivity and saw other options too. It's definitely there if they have touchpad sensitive. Just alot of menus to navigate.

I wish there was a way to adjust your camera position so your character doesn't have to be dead centre all the time. Tera had a good system that allowed you to move the position of the camera I wish they would put something like that in FFXIV.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The game runs a heck of a lot better in towns than my PC. I'm sure they'll continue to improve the engine as time goes on, but I'm already impressed.

Think I'll go beyond the free month and subscribe for a while. It's a charming game.

ViciousDS

Banned
Hmmm I did mess with touch pad sensitivity and saw other options too. It's definitely there if they have touchpad sensitive. Just alot of menus to navigate.

Yup only touchpad sensitivity is there, no mouse I checked all the menus.

Anyone else on beta server 4????

Dante316

I wish there was a way to adjust your camera position so your character doesn't have to be dead centre all the time. Tera had a good system that allowed you to move the position of the camera I wish they would put something like that in FFXIV.

Holding L1 and the right analog moves the camera in
And out. And by just pressing R3 u can go into 1st person.

Anyone else having trouble re-logging in? I registered and played earlier, but now my password isn't working or something. I get an error along the lines of

an invalid password was entered

I've tried changing my password 3 times. I keep getting the same message. This is different than the actually incorrect password message:

ID or password is incorrect

I think it has something to do with the one-time password, but I'm not sure.

Sophia

Anyone else having trouble re-logging in? I registered and played earlier, but now my password isn't working or something. I get an error along the lines of

I've tried changing my password 3 times. I keep getting the same message. This is different than the actually incorrect password message:

I think it has something to do with the one-time password, but I'm not sure.

The one time password is if you have a security token on the account. You leave it bank if you don't have one.

So I played for a good 3 hours, its an MMO for better or worse. Someone needs to invent an MMO where the average battle is interesting. For the most part you just use the same attacks over and over. When one of the live events occurred a shit ton of people would attack the monster, no strategy what so ever it was just a mass beat down.

I understand dungeons and later on with parties that is when the strategy comes in but man does the average combat need to be pointless. If someone ever invents an MMO with combat like Dark Souls it would be amazing.

I am enjoying it though, beautiful world.I am a lance dude. Going to try other classes when I reach level 10, I will do my best to narrow down what I really want to play as when I play the full game.

molnizzle

Questing in this game is really a drag after years of using that giant GPS arrow mod in WoW. Am I honestly supposed to actually read all the quest text and run around with my map open? Because... fuck. :-(

Taruranto

Questing in this game is really a drag after years of using that giant GPS arrow mod in WoW. Am I honestly supposed to actually read all the quest text and run around with my map open? Because... fuck. :-(

Nope, game has giant quest sign/red zones on the map, just follow these and you are done.

The reason you didn't see anyone with a sword is because the classes are locked to the starting regions at first. Gladiators are in Uldah and Marauders are in Limsa Lominsa. I don't agree with this design but it really isn't a big deal. The first 15 levels in this is basically teaching you everything like getting around, crafting, hunting log and all other basic stuff.

The game opens up at 15 as you will unlock the ability to use the airships which then will give you access to the other areas and from there you will see a mix of classes. At this point you will also unlock your first dungeon and from that point you will unlock more dungeons frequently and at this point you will have Guildhests unlocked.

As for the archer thing stick with because once you hit lvl 10 you will gain the ability to get another class. Not only this when you start getting other classes you can share abilities between them which is very helpful its probably the best thing about this game. The freedom to play what you want when you want really makes this game stand out .In no time you'll have all unlocked and plenty of options.

Stick with it there is alot of cool stuff to do and I know the beginning drags abit but when it opens up it becomes less about fetch quests and small things and more about dungeons and looting.

I'm surprised how good this game looks and runs in the beta. It certainly looks nicer than my PC.I think I will need to pick up a mouse and keyboard for this as I really only used the PS3 version for crafting and gathering. The only thing I'm not big on is the track pad stuff I mean its a nice option but it just doesn't feel good in my opinion.

Thanks, I didn't realize that until today about the classes starting out in different areas. Might keep on to 10 since I'm almost at level 9.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just did my 3rd install. The rebuid database method didn't work. The first time installed died yet again at 26%. I'm done trying. I can't believe they haven't even acknowledged this error code.

I was getting the same code. I tried several things, and finally found one that worked:

1- Delete the FFXIV game
2- Delete the save game
3- Turn off your PS4 and load it into safe mode (hold down the power button for 8 seconds)
4- Rebuild the database
5- Re-download FFXIV

That finally got the updater to not give me an error at 24% download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom