• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corum

So is there a way for me to see what objectives are on my map? I have a blip showing on mine but I have no clue what quest it corresponds to.

If you move the circular map cursor over the quest indicators (on the map) it'll show the quest name.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
any other server 4 people need a lvl16 healer for some dungeoning? pm me your psn name / character name and let's do this

Draper

Oh god. This game is consuming me despite it being grindy and somewhat repetative. I'm not even into this genre. So will all my progress be wiped once the next beta phase is pushed out?

RK9039

So is Arcanist like the white Mage job?

Didn't see any mention of healing in the descriptions of the magic jobs.

It is but at level 30 you can become a Scholar which focuses on healing and/or a Summoner (dps). It's the only class right now with two jobs.

Gaz_RB

SCH is more like a Red Mage with a pet.

Summoner is WoW warlock.

So is Scholar the best option for healing?

It is but at level 30 you can become a Scholar which focuses on healing and/or a Summoner (dps). It's the only class right now with two jobs.

Can summoner a summon anything cool like Ifrit or anything? Or is it like you can summon a small pokemon lol

Thanks for the help guys

gryvan

Can summoner a summon anything cool like Ifrit or anything? Or is it like you can summon a small pokemon lol

Thanks for the help guys

Scholar uses a shield type mitigation heal while white mage uses burst type heal.

summoners can summon the 3 primals we currently have to fight after you level through it. Scholsrs can also summon a support or healer type fairy.

RK9039

Thanks for the help guys

Scholars and White Mages are the healers, I think one is better at burst healing than the other but both are important. I haven't played any of the healers so I'm not very familiar with them.

Summoners can summon Ifrit, Titan and Garuda, they are small but I think the summons look cool.

george_us

Oh god. This game is consuming me despite it being grindy and somewhat repetative. I'm not even into this genre. So will all my progress be wiped once the next beta phase is pushed out?
Haha same here. The quest are very repetitive and generic...yet I can't stop playing. I think it has more to do with it being FF though. The art style and music are sublime plus combat is pretty great as well. Makes me long for a FFXVI in this style.

EGOMON

My normal email is gmail but it wouldn't work but I have used the mrs email and it came through this time.Thanks

Ah good to hear it somehow worked out for you, i wouldn't want for anyone to miss on trying this awesome game because of SE shitty registration procedure

aceface

Haha same here. The quest are very repetitive and generic...yet I can't stop playing. I think it has more to do with it being FF though. The art style and music are sublime plus combat is pretty great as well. Makes me long for a FFXVI in this style.

It gets much MUCH better in terms of story, battles and FF fan service after level 20 too. What you are seeing is just the beginning.

george_us

It gets much MUCH better in terms of story, battles and FF fan service after level 20 too. What you are seeing is just the beginning.
That's good to hear. I had to wipe a tear away when I heard that prelude for the first time. Feels like years since I've actually heard it in a FF game. Plus the overworld themes and battle themes are incredible. Overall the game has a sense of wonder that's been lacking in previous FF games. I guess it also helps that I don't play many MMOs at all.

SkyOdin

So is Arcanist like the white Mage job?

Didn't see any mention of healing in the descriptions of the magic jobs.

The base Arcanist is a versatile class that combines a focus on DoT damage spells and limited healing capability with a choice of two different pets: a ranged DPS pet and a melee tanking pet. For partying purposes, it is considered a DPS class, but for low-level dungeons (such as the first three), you can easily serve as a healer or even a tank.

Now, at level 30 it can acquire two different jobs: the Summoner, which builds on the Arcanist's existing abilities to become a strong end-game damage class, or the Scholar, which transforms the class into a dedicated healer.

Now, the Conjurer is the only one of the base classes that counts as a Healer for Duty Finder purposes, and is the most dedicated healing class in the game. At level 30, it upgrades to the White Mage. So, at level 30+, there are two dedicated healers, the Scholar, and the White Mage.

Now, the White Mage has a wide variety of both single target and area-of-effect healing spells, as well as Regen, a healing-over-time spell. It also has access to abilities that let it dramatically increase its healing power over short bursts, so it is good at pulling the party back from emergency situations. On top of that, it has access to Protect ( a defense buff) and Stoneskin (a barrier that absorbs a certain amount of damage).

The Scholar's main schtick is damage mitigation. All of its core healing spells add a damage mitigating shield in addition to their healing effect. It also has access to the core Arcanist debuffs and DoTs, and a spell that boosts the defense of all allies within a specific area. It also has two healing pets, which will automatically heal and provide different kinds of buffs. I've heard it described as "healing on auto-pilot" when brought into low-level dungeons, but it still demands a lot of attention from the player at high levels. Thanks to the Arcanist's core abilities, it doesn't need to worry about MP nearly as much as the White Mage does. However, it has less than half the number of healing spells compared to the White Mage, so it is less versatile as a pure healer.

However, in 8-man dungeons, it really helps to have both a White mage and a Scholar, since they are great at covering for each other's weaknesses.

Drame

How do you lock onto targets in this version?
By clicking the right stick or was ot the left, can't remember.

You can also change the settings that you automatically lock onto your primary target, this is what I use. You can change the settings in the character configuration menu.

aceface

That's good to hear. I had to wipe a tear away when I heard that prelude for the first time. Feels like years since I've actually heard it in a FF game. Plus the overworld themes and battle themes are incredible. Overall the game has a sense of wonder that's been lacking in previous FF games. I guess it also helps that I don't play many MMOs at all.

Just wait for the first time you ride an airship :)

Taruranto

There is a, surprise, surprise, quite a good balance between WHM and SCH. You won't find a pt that prefers WHM/WHM or SCH/SCH when they can get both in 8 men content.

This said, WHM is really ass-boring to play while SCH is probably the best class in the game as well the most versatile.

sOi2RfI.png

Thanks for the help guys

Yes, you can only summon the pokemans. FFXIV sadly rapes the classic concept of BLM and SMN, so forget the bad-ass FFXI avatars.

R1I8nbR.png

:,(

Gaz_RB

The base Arcanist is a versatile class that combines a focus on DoT damage spells and limited healing capability with a choice of two different pets: a ranged DPS pet and a melee tanking pet. For partying purposes, it is considered a DPS class, but for low-level dungeons (such as the first three), you can easily serve as a healer or even a tank.

Now, at level 30 it can acquire two different jobs: the Summoner, which builds on the Arcanist's existing abilities to become a strong end-game damage class, or the Scholar, which transforms the class into a dedicated healer.

Now, the Conjurer is the only one of the base classes that counts as a Healer for Duty Finder purposes, and is the most dedicated healing class in the game. At level 30, it upgrades to the White Mage. So, at level 30+, there are two dedicated healers, the Scholar, and the White Mage.

Now, the White Mage has a wide variety of both single target and area-of-effect healing spells, as well as Regen, a healing-over-time spell. It also has access to abilities that let it dramatically increase its healing power over short bursts, so it is good at pulling the party back from emergency situations. On top of that, it has access to Protect ( a defense buff) and Stoneskin (a barrier that absorbs a certain amount of damage).

The Scholar's main schtick is damage mitigation. All of its core healing spells add a damage mitigating shield in addition to their healing effect. It also has access to the core Arcanist debuffs and DoTs, and a spell that boosts the defense of all allies within a specific area. It also has two healing pets, which will automatically heal and provide different kinds of buffs. I've heard it described as "healing on auto-pilot" when brought into low-level dungeons, but it still demands a lot of attention from the player at high levels. Thanks to the Arcanist's core abilities, it doesn't need to worry about MP nearly as much as the White Mage does. However, it has less than half the number of healing spells compared to the White Mage, so it is less versatile as a pure healer.

However, in 8-man dungeons, it really helps to have both a White mage and a Scholar, since they are great at covering for each other's weaknesses.

Thanks for the help, you've probably layed it out than a wiki could of. I started the Arcanist so far in the beta, but now I'll switch to Conjurer an try that out. I wish the descriptions during character creation was a little more detailed.

But I definitely want to pick a class that is needed in dungeons.

Yes, you can only summon the pokemans. FFXIV sadly rapes the classic concept of BLM and SMN, so forget the bad-ass FFXI avatars.

R1I8nbR.png

:,(

Depressing...

Portugeezer

How long did it take you guys to get a confirmation code?

Been like 20 minutes for me and nothing. If I close the game would I have to re-register an account or will it ask for my code?

Alucrid

Banned
There is a, surprise, surprise, quite a good balance between WHM and SCH. You won't find a pt that prefers WHM/WHM or SCH/SCH when they can get both in 8 men content.

This said, WHM is really ass-boring to play while SCH is probably the best class in the game as well the most versatile.

http://i.imgur.com/sOi2RfI.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/R1I8nbR.png[IMG]

:,([/QUOTE]

they can't aoe heal for shit though

Grisby

Put some more time into this today. Text is just too damn small for all of the story stuff. Even though you can resize ui details I still can't make out whats going on in the inventory box.

I guess I'm not going to be picking this up then. A shame, because it seems like a nice throwback to old school FF, :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Perhaps they just meant they won't persist the users past the beta. Maybe if you transfer the character off before the phase ends you can keep it? Not sure, just guessing.
Anyone have an idea if there's a way to keep new chars from this phase? Don't know why they'd just wipe everything.

molnizzle

So if there a decent noob guide to this game's classes and mechanics? I'm an MMO veteran but have never played FFXIV or FFXI in the past. I'm slightly confused by some of the game text referring to my "starting" class. Does that mean that I can switch classes later on, or is it more a progression system like EQ2?

If there's a nub guide on a wiki somewhere, feel free to link away.

Thanks!

Anyone have an idea if there's a way to keep new chars from this phase? Don't know why they'd just wipe everything.

No way to keep them. Wipes are pretty standard for actual MMO betas. This is a real beta test rather than a "promotional" beat test that's actually a demo. They're testing the PS4 client and using separate servers from PS3/PC. Phase II will use the standard servers, so your characters will be retained once the game goes live. You'll also be able to use any characters you may have played on PS3 or PC.

Alucrid

Banned

Everything from this phase is wiped. Next phase carries over.

So if there a decent noob guide to this game's classes and mechanics? I'm an MMO veteran but have never played FFXIV or FFXI in the past. I'm slightly confused by some of the game text referring to my "starting" class. Does that mean that I can switch classes later on, or is it more a progression system like EQ2?

If there's a nub guide on a wiki somewhere, feel free to link away.

Thanks!

Essentially your "class" is what you start off as. Say, Arcanist. The "jobs" are obtained through equipping certain items you get from quests at level 30. So as an Arcanist you can get get the jobs of Summoner or Scholar. Now, keep in mind, any experience obtained as a Summoner or Scholar applies to your Arcanist class, so they both level concurrently. So if you're a 34 Arcanist, you can equip the items to become a 34 Scholar or 34 Summoner. The same applies for every other class, except they all only have one job available at the moment. You can switch classes later on. You can max every class and obtain every job on a single character.

Ken

Quick question.

Whats the best possible race and faction/alignment combo for a Arcanist?

Thanks!

None of that really matters unless you're a serious min/maxer, in which case you'd want to choose the race with the highest base value of your primary stat (INT for Summoner, MND for SCH).

Just choose the one with the look you like the most. No one is going to care if you're a Roe healer or a Lalafell tank, stat wise.

molnizzle

Essentially your "class" is what you start off as. Say, Arcanist. The "jobs" are obtained through equipping certain items you get from quests at level 30. So as an Arcanist you can get get the jobs of Summoner or Scholar. Now, keep in mind, any experience obtained as a Summoner or Scholar applies to your Arcanist class, so they both level concurrently. So if you're a 34 Arcanist, you can equip the items to become a 34 Scholar or 34 Summoner. The same applies for every other class, except they all only have one job available at the moment.

Oh. So... alt characters will still be something I need to create in this game if I want to play a different class? I was under the impression that it was possible to do everything on just one character.

Zomba13

Depressing...

Eh, it's better than having a perp cost and not really being good at any one job or only using Garuda's Predetor Claws once a minute while being a gimp whm the rest of the time.
Plus the AF is way way way way way better.

None of that really matters unless you're a serious min/maxer, in which case you'd want to choose the race with the highest base value of your primary stat (INT for Summoner, MND for SCH).

Just choose the one with the look you like the most. No one is going to care if you're a Roe healer or a Lalafell tank, stat wise.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. :)

Alucrid

Banned
Oh. So... alt characters will still be something I need to create in this game if I want to play a different class? I was under the impression that it was possible to do everything on just one character.

I cleared that up in an edit, but no, you can be every class on one character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom