• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

katagai

Oh. So... alt characters will still be something I need to create in this game if I want to play a different class? I was under the impression that it was possible to do everything on just one character.

You're only stuck as your starting class until you complete the level 10 class quest. Afterwards you can freely change classes.

So if there a decent noob guide to this game's classes and mechanics? I'm an MMO veteran but have never played FFXIV or FFXI in the past. I'm slightly confused by some of the game text referring to my "starting" class. Does that mean that I can switch classes later on, or is it more a progression system like EQ2?

If there's a nub guide on a wiki somewhere, feel free to link away.

Thanks!

Rather than needing multiple characters to try the different classes, FFXIV lets your character switch classes, once you reach level 10. You switch classes by just equipping the weapon of the other class; each class has it's own separate level, experience meter, hunting log, etc, but as it is the same character, your quest progression and Grand Company and inventory and stuff are unaffected. Some classes have skills that can be used by other classes (for example, the Archer class has a "Raging Strikes" skill that can be used by Thaumaturge). In addition, at level 30 you can get access to advanced jobs, but only if you have leveled the correct other class to at least level 15.

The boyfriend and I played it a bit last night on stream. The games text is tiny, the lack of voice acting is odd, and the controls are mostly garbage (that and there really is no tutorial to speak of).

Why is it that every game that needs a tutorial doesn't have one and vice versa?

Put some more time into this today. Text is just too damn small for all of the story stuff. Even though you can resize ui details I still can't make out whats going on in the inventory box.

I guess I'm not going to be picking this up then. A shame, because it seems like a nice throwback to old school FF, :(
as someone told me back a bit: can you display the game in 720p on your set? increases the text enough to not squint -haha

The boyfriend and I played it a bit last night on stream. The games text is tiny, the lack of voice acting is odd, and the controls are mostly garbage (that and there really is no tutorial to speak of).

Why is it that every game that needs a tutorial doesn't have one and vice versa?

You are wrong. THe controlls are pretty awesome. Some of the best. I actually prefer the controller over keyboard and mouse now for MMOs. Now I can sit on couch and not have to be uncomfortable 5 inches from a computer screen.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

i'll agree the text and va but i found the controls to really work well after you get used to it. also, it felt like the first 10-15 levels were the tutorial.

Taruranto

Uh? Game literally play itself, tutorials and half-holding everywhere.

molnizzle

Rather than needing multiple characters to try the different classes, FFXIV lets your character switch classes, once you reach level 10. You switch classes by just equipping the weapon of the other class; each class has it's own separate level, experience meter, hunting log, etc, but as it is the same character, your quest progression and Grand Company and inventory and stuff are unaffected. Some classes have skills that can be used by other classes (for example, the Archer class has a "Raging Strikes" skill that can be used by Thaumaturge). In addition, at level 30 you can get access to advanced jobs, but only if you have leveled the correct other class to at least level 15.

Fuck. Yes.

Can you switch weapon/class in the middle of an instance?

Uh? Game literally play itself, tutorials and half-holding everywhere.

I dunno, the controls are pretty awkward. Especially if you've never played a PC MMO before, I can see how you'd be utterly confused by the entire setup. It's pretty easy to wrap your head around if you have prior MMO experience though.

SkylineRKR

All in all ARR is pretty good on PS4. The PC login interface is still baffling, but I expected it. That its so small on 1080p is retarded, same as the text balloons. I can't read them unless I'm closer to my TV.

I expected more of the controls, its still a bit laggy when I cycle through the on screen stuff.

On Ps3 I started with a Lancer in the forest. But now I'm a Gladiator in Ul Dah. Contrary to what people said I find this area to be more convenient.

D23

This game is just unplayable for me because of the text. Shame because I liked it a lot.

How do u guys even play this thing?

YoungOne

Is there a way to change the button layout on rempteplay, having "R2" as a back touch pad is... inneffcient when I'm laying in bed grinding via weaver and miner classes.

Other than that remote play is so awesome and only makes me more hyped for the next RPG to come out on PS4. ^_^

What are you using for the HUD button?

Grinchy

Banned
I'm just curious, for those who have problems with the text size, do you wear glasses? (That's not supposed to be a joke question)

Cmagus

This game is just unplayable for me because of the text. Shame because I liked it a lot.

How do u guys even play this thing?

They are aware of the problem by now and I have no doubt they will address the text issue. Aside from the main storyline text every other UI element can be blown up and if you can't see it fully blown up then move closer. This phase is exactly for stuff like this and plenty of people have voiced concern at this point it will be address probably by them allowing it to be blown up as well.

They addressed the login screen issue on the forum as well

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/147359

How to Maximize the FFXIV Launcher Menu
During the beta test phase 1, the FFXIV launcher menu will not be displayed in full screen at default.
To zoom into the launcher menu, please press the R3 button on the controller.
* Starting in beta test phase 2, the FFXIV launcher menu will display in full screen at default.

The launcher will not display fullscreen in phase 1 but it will in phase 2.

Okay, I'm trying out the wireless keyboard and it doesn't seem to work. Especially if I try to type in my password to sign in. It will only accept the ID if I type in my password using the controller. I find that very odd

Cmagus

Okay, I'm trying out the wireless keyboard and it doesn't seem to work. Especially if I try to type in my password to sign in. It will only accept the ID if I type in my password using the controller. I find that very odd

I believe there are quite a few people having this problem with both keyboard and mouse as reported on the beta forum. They cleaned out the topic but I believe they either are or have addressed it.

SkyOdin

Oh. So... alt characters will still be something I need to create in this game if I want to play a different class? I was under the impression that it was possible to do everything on just one character.

No. You can change between being an Arcanist, Summoner, and Scholar just by making quick alterations to your equipment. It is entirely possible to have every job on a single character, Heck, there are achievements for doing so.

However, you can't change your class while in an instance, unfortunately. Not even between Jobs with the the same base class. It is occasionally annoying, but it is the sort of thing that would really mess up the Duty Finder system, so I understand why they did it.

Ark

I'm just curious, for those who have problems with the text size, do you wear glasses? (That's not supposed to be a joke question)

My eyes are fine and I'm sat a few meters away from my 42" TV in the living room, the text is just big enough that I can read it but I have to focus on reading it, if that makes sense. It could really do with being a size or two bigger ideally. So far I think I'm enjoying the beta. Nothing really stands out to me, but I want to keep on playing. Just need to wrap my head around the targeting system and I'll be good.

Does anyone know how to make the map bigger, other than double-tapping Square?

SkyOdin

Man, without story quests, it really drags the normal leveling. FATE grinding all the way I guess.

You can mix it up with Guildleves. They are have been buffed to give more exp since 2.1, so they are just as fast as FATEs these days. They also give money and equipment as rewards, which can be nice. If you are high enough level, dungeons are also a really good choice. Don't forget your hunting log, either. Just doing your hunting log and a few FATEs in the area can get your second class to level 10 in no time.

So if there a decent noob guide to this game's classes and mechanics? I'm an MMO veteran but have never played FFXIV or FFXI in the past. I'm slightly confused by some of the game text referring to my "starting" class. Does that mean that I can switch classes later on, or is it more a progression system like EQ2?

Gets really neat as you progress, eventually you get character dressup slots you can also name. So if you want to go from Level 35 marauder wearing a bikini with a pointy hat to a level 15 fisherman wearing an eyepatch just save those settings/outfits and name them.

Another tip some may not be aware of.
Once you get the ability to use a skill or whatever from another class you can do stuff like this.

Marauder with 1 additional slot.
Add Protect -> Cast Protect-> unequip Protect -> equip Heal spell
Now you have 30 mins of Protect and can use Heal. (actually like 29 minutes)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yes, you can only summon the pokemans. FFXIV sadly rapes the classic concept of BLM and SMN, so forget the bad-ass FFXI avatars.

R1I8nbR.png

:,(
Bit like most new FF titles, its like they remove them all together or restrict you
And that was so annoying in FFXIII, not one of your battle team thinks that maybe its time to summon something to help out.
One of the main things that stood out about FF was the summons and their appearances lately has been poor.
Nonetheless I still enjoying this beta.

Cloudy

Banned

I don't but I'm playing on a 55inch 8 ft away from my living room couch. I can read the text but it's a lot of eye strain. The only way I can comfortably play this game (if they don't increase the NPC text size) is if I move my ps4 to a desk and use my monitor. Not sure I want to do that

godl!ke

Neo Member
Guys, I have two questions. I would really really REALLY appreciate if someone helped me.

1.) When I log in, and click start, it asks me to select from 2 service areas: 1 or 2. Which one should I select?

2.) Also, does anyone suffer from massive lag? I'm from the west coast, and the lag is soooo horrible. Like everyone moves for 3 seconds, stop, and then move again. Same with my attacks. Right now I'm near the starting city. It's becoming unplayable for me. I also keep getting kicked out.

So, I am going to play to level 20 and then stop. I am really enjoying the game, but knowing progress will be wiped puts me off. I will probably play Phase 2 to get ready for release and put, at least, a month into it. Well done, Square Enix, you have me excited to play a Final Fantasy game.

Sophia

Guys, I have two questions. I would really really REALLY appreciate if someone helped me.

1.) When I log in, and click start, it asks me to select from 2 service areas: 1 or 2. Which one should I select?

2.) Also, does anyone suffer from massive lag? I'm from the west coast, and the lag is soooo horrible. Like everyone moves for 3 seconds, stop, and then move again. Same with my attacks. Right now I'm near the starting city. It's becoming unplayable for me. I also keep getting kicked out.

1. Select service 1. For whatever reason it appears to be adding a second service if you previously had a PC service on the account.

2. This isn't normal behavior. Something is up either with your internet connection or your configuration. Is your PS4 connected wirelessly?

godl!ke

Neo Member
1. Select service 1. For whatever reason it appears to be adding a second service if you previously had a PC service on the account.

2. This isn't normal behavior. Something is up either with your internet connection or your configuration. Is your PS4 connected wirelessly?

Okay, well I was playing on service area 2. That might explain it?

2.) My internet is via wifi, but I never have problems online, well except bf4, but that game is messed up online to begin with sometimes.

Cmagus

2.) My internet is via wifi, but I never have problems online, well except bf4, but that game is messed up online to begin with sometimes.

Try switching that may help. Mine runs smooth with little to no lag but you could just be getting normal lag it is beta so they may just be getting slammed it does happen. I know for the PC alpha and beta it was pretty bad with constant disconnects and terrible lag so they just might need to figure it out and make adjustments.

Sophia

If you've been playing on service 2, keep playing on that then.

This game is very stingy about Wifi. If your wifi is dropping packets anywhere in the connection you'll have issues. If you can, try switching to wired if its available.

DanielJr82

How to increase text size

1. Start button -> Go to System -> Scroll to HUD Layout
2. Use the DS4 touchpad to select a HUD window you want to increase text size for (double tap).
3. Click R3 to edit the window size; this will in turn edit the font size as well.
4. Use the touchpad again to go back to the save button and double tap to save.

I increased the size of the Duty/Quest window, at least. I'm fine with everything else since I'm gaming on a 720p TV anyways. However, I've yet to figure out which HUD window is for the dialogue bits, those are still hard to read even on a 720p set.

Ricker

How to increase text size

1. Start button -> Go to System -> Scroll to HUD Layout
2. Use the DS4 touchpad to select a HUD window you want to increase text size for (double tap).
3. Click R3 to edit the window size; this will in turn edit the font size as well.
4. Use the touchpad again to go back to the save button and double tap to save.

I increased the size of the Duty/Quest window, at least. I'm fine with everything else since I'm gaming on a 720p TV anyways. However, I've yet to figure out which HUD window is for the dialogue bits, those are still hard to read even on a 720p set.

You cant change that one,which is a shame...its the same on PC and since the game is out on PC,close to a year now,you still can't...the main story dialog is tied with the graphics and its probably a lot of work to increase them without a huge overall of everything else,which doesnt need to be changed...

Mikey Jr.

Ok, I stopped playing.

I enjoy playing the game, and as I was trying to do all the quests and trying to uncover all the land, I thought to myself, "why the fuck am I doing this?".

I have a huge backlog and I am playing a game thats about to be wiped in 2 weeks.

So yeah, I'll start again in March.

So is the beta phase only on the weekends. If so then I'll start playing next weekend then cause I'm still more into Lightning Returns right now

AlexIIDX

What a big leap from the PS3 version, guess I should've expected that but its better than I anticipated. I stopped playing like 2 months ago to do some work on my backlog and now I can't wait to get back into this on PS4. I love the touchpad support too.

jwk94

So my friend just gave me his NVIDIA promo code so I now ho 30 days of game time on the PC version. I'll be getting the PS4 version this Summer. Is there a way I can transfer my PC character to my PS4 version?

Cmagus

So my friend just gave me his NVIDIA promo code so I now ho 30 days of game time on the PC version. I'll be getting the PS4 version this Summer. Is there a way I can transfer my PC character to my PS4 version?

There is no need to transfer you just log in and there you go. All stuff is stored on the same server so if you log out standing in a field on PC you'll log in on the PS4 version right where you logged out in the field on pc and can continue playing.

Sophia

There is no "transfer" needed. Every version of the game plays on the same servers, thus you have your characters no matter what. All you need to do is make sure that when you get the PS4 version, you register it to the same account that you use on the PC.

Anyone in the UK looking for the cheapest way to play on PS4?

Amazon have the game for £8.77 on PS3, I know you have to play once on PS3 or whatever to do the transfer, but you could wait until the day before launch, load the game, start the trial and then get on to PS4.

Timecards are £17 for 60 days.

Alternatively, Shop to have the PS4 version for £26.86 or Square Enix store have it at £29.99, everywhere else has it in the £40 range.

It makes it easier for me to justify buying more playtime when I know it's cheaper for the client.

Jigorath

Banned
So, I am going to play to level 20 and then stop. I am really enjoying the game, but knowing progress will be wiped puts me off. I will probably play Phase 2 to get ready for release and put, at least, a month into it. Well done, Square Enix, you have me excited to play a Final Fantasy game.

I think the level cap is at 20 anyways.

I just opened up the Levequests that I can do which just adds to an already great experience I am having with the beta. I am impressed with this game. I already pre-ordered yesterday morning after I logged out the first time. I can't seem to stop playing which is bad considering it's all going to be wiped...oh well, I'll just keep having fun anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom