• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

There is no need to transfer you just log in and there you go. All stuff is stored on the same server so if you log out standing in a field on PC you'll log in on the PS4 version right where you logged out in the field on pc and can continue playing.

There is no "transfer" needed. Every version of the game plays on the same servers, thus you have your characters no matter what. All you need to do is make sure that when you get the PS4 version, you register it to the same account that you use on the PC.

This is amazing. Thanks, guys! Quick question though. Is it still possible to grab the PS3 version, log in with the character I've been using on my PC, then do the PS3 to PS4 account transfer?

And if so, do I need the disc once I've done the transfer?

Finally got my first taste of the game...and it was interesting. Haven't done much. Just completed the quest asked by that Mother character. I feel like an idiot though cause I was looking all over for the guy who was supposed to explain the market to me and I passed by him at least once when I was in the shop area and just kept wandering aimlessly around both Old and New Grandina (at least I found a few teleport crystals along the way).

Taking a break now, but I'll do some of the character quests later tonight to build exp and get some cash. And I gotta enroll in the Lancer training thing

Namikaze1

Yep, I hit the level cap. Also, fuck the Sastasha mission. First time, my group didn't even make it to the first objective. My second group was 100x better than the first one. This one had a capable Mage. I was the tank for both teams so I tended to absorb all damage.

Since the beta stops at level 20, I set out to make my own fun past the level cap:

xHg4ohl.jpg

(I also mapped Mor Dhona :x)

Sophia

This is amazing. Thanks, guys! Quick question though. Is it still possible to grab the PS3 version, log in with the character I've been using on my PC, then do the PS3 to PS4 account transfer?

And if so, do I need the disc once I've done the transfer?

Yes, you link the PS3 version to your PC account the same as you would the PS4 version. So all your characters will be there as long as they're on the same account.

The disc is only for installing, and technically isn't even needed for that once it's on your PSN account.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
For the life of me I cant beat "Its Probably Pirates" mission in Satasha. First group we got to final boss but always died. Every group after that we cant even get that far. Level 20 now, maybe Ill try out a diff class.

jwk94

Yes, you link the PS3 version to your PC account the same as you would the PS4 version. So all your characters will be there as long as they're on the same account.

The disc is only for installing, and technically isn't even needed for that once it's on your PSN account.

Thanks! This is fantastic.

jversion 2010622 said:
Thanks! This is fantastic.
The box version comes with a one time PSN code, which you use to register the PS3 version to your account. Just a friendly warning, if you are thinking of selling on the disc, it would be useless to anyone without a valid code.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Rather than needing multiple characters to try the different classes, FFXIV lets your character switch classes, once you reach level 10. You switch classes by just equipping the weapon of the other class; each class has it's own separate level, experience meter, hunting log, etc, but as it is the same character, your quest progression and Grand Company and inventory and stuff are unaffected. Some classes have skills that can be used by other classes (for example, the Archer class has a "Raging Strikes" skill that can be used by Thaumaturge). In addition, at level 30 you can get access to advanced jobs, but only if you have leveled the correct other class to at least level 15.
So I can switch from a maurader to an archer? I'm looking for anything that gets me out of the tank role in dungeons.

Sophia

But hows the text size? Cuz its kinda hard to read on a tv as it is.

I can read the text just fine on a Vita, although the chat log is a bit off. Not perfect, but it plays pretty well.

There's almost no input lag however. I bet I could do HM Primals or the first few turns of Binding Coil with no issue.

So I can switch from a maurader to an archer? I'm looking for anything that gets me out of the tank role in dungeons.

Once you've completed your level 10 class quest, you'll be able to switch to any class at will by simply going to it's respective guild and unlocking it.

BibiMaghoo

Anyone in the UK looking for the cheapest way to play on PS4?

Amazon have the game for £8.77 on PS3, I know you have to play once on PS3 or whatever to do the transfer, but you could wait until the day before launch, load the game, start the trial and then get on to PS4.

Timecards are £17 for 60 days.

Alternatively, Shop to have the PS4 version for £26.86 or Square Enix store have it at £29.99, everywhere else has it in the £40 range.

It makes it easier for me to justify buying more playtime when I know it's cheaper for the client.

I ordered two copies at that price from Amazon today, for this reason. Cheapest way I have found.

Cabal

So, I haven't played since 2010 and I was thinking about getting back into it. I went to the website and found I was banned. Instead of my old character, there was a character with one of those stupid Gil farmer names like argfbt hhjko. I don't really care that much about the character but I still had 3000 crysta on that account :(

I emailed SE but has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? I am attaching an authenticator as soon as this is sorted, that's for sure.

For the life of me I cant beat "Its Probably Pirates" mission in Satasha. First group we got to final boss but always died. Every group after that we cant even get that far. Level 20 now, maybe Ill try out a diff class.

Is this your first MMO? Sastasha shouldn't be hard. Like, if your party follows the standard formula all the way round it should be really easy, even at level 15/16.

Standard formula being - Tank draws aggro from all enemies first, then DPS players go in and proceed to... deal damage. Healer keeps tank alive so they can keep drawing aggro.

This is my first MMO, and I had a good knowledgable party doing Sastasha so this is how I learned.

Still suffering from error code 20019. Deleted and redowloaded the beta around 10 times, each time it crashes during first-time setup, its a different percentage. Anyone still experiencing this? So depressing.

SkyOdin

Where are you having trouble? We can probably give you some advice.

For the final boss,
the trick is that you can prevent the adds from appearing if you examine the hatches where bubbles have formed. When the message appears on your screen, whoever is free needs to check the hatches.

You can, but note that the experience levels in each class are separate, so when you first switch to archer you will be back to level 1, and will have to level the archer up to where you want to be.

Lebron

The text issue could have easily been fixed if they just had it fucking voiced. It's 2014(I know it's already been out). Come on.

GW2 has spoiled me I guess.

jwk94

Sorry for all of my questions, this is the last one. What's the difference between a used a new copy of the PS3 version if I already have the game on PC?

Sophia

Sorry for all of my questions, this is the last one. What's the difference between a used a new copy of the PS3 version if I already have the game on PC?

Erm, come again? Your question didn't make much sense. You wouldn't want to buy a used copy, obviously.

You need a new copy for every system you intend to play the game on.

SkyOdin

The text issue could have easily been fixed if they just had it fucking voiced. It's 2014(I know it's already been out). Come on.

GW2 has spoiled me I guess.

I think it is pretty well established that voice acting isn't practical for MMOs considering the schedule they need to keep for producing new content. Not only is voice acting a significant added expense, it potentially slows down content production by adding an additional step. It is also makes making text changes harder one you have final voice acting, so it gives the creators less leeway to make last-minute changes.

It is worth pointing out that there were changes to text being made between the closed and open betas of FFXIV. In phase 3 beta, there were still references in the quest text to a feature "Third Wind", which by then already had its name changed to "Greased Lightning".

Considering the rapid pace of ARR's development, and how late many game decisions seem to have been made, there simply might not have been time for much voice acting.

Cmagus

If someone tries to sell you a used copy you're being ripped off once its registered it can't be used again. The PS3 and PS4 copy will cost you the same pretty much if you buy the PS3 version and upgrade to the PS4 version you lose your PS3 copy.

Zalasta

Did you guys click on the grates whenever it starts to bubble? If not additional enemies will spawn and unless you are overgeared, you're going to have problems when there are 2 or more of them running around.

Lebron

I think it is pretty well established that voice acting isn't practical for MMOs considering the schedule they need to keep for producing new content. Not only is voice acting a significant added expense, it potentially slows down content production by adding an additional step. It is also makes making text changes harder one you have final voice acting, so it gives the creators less leeway to make last-minute changes.
The first game didn't have much VOs either. They had all the time in the world to correct that. No one said anything about having it all voiced. But fuck, you'd think the first cutscene where you enter the town would be voiced at least. Lol nope. That just screams lazy to me, but whatever. I just skip the wall of text anyway.

Still suffering from error code 20019. Deleted and redowloaded the beta around 10 times, each time it crashes during first-time setup, its a different percentage. Anyone still experiencing this? So depressing.

Same, I've never seen mine go past 30%. It always crashes around 6% or 23%. Slightly annoyed after six tries of re-downloading/rebuilding. I'm done trying it. I'll try again when they do phase two.

Sophia

The first game didn't have much VOs either. They had all the time in the world to correct that. No one said anything about having it all voiced. But fuck, you'd think the first cutscene where you enter the town would be voiced at least. Lol nope. That just screams lazy to me, but whatever. I just skip the wall of text anyway.

Voicing every single quest is time consuming and largely pointless for minor scenes. Guild Wars 2 has to repeat actors quite often just to get away with it.

Though I wouldn't mind some of the job quests that have iconic characters (such as Raya-O-Senna in the White Mage questline) being voiced.

Lebron

Voicing every single quest is time consuming and largely pointless for minor scenes. Guild Wars 2 has to repeat actors quite often just to get away with it.

Where did I say every quest? That would be unreasonable. I'm just saying you'd expect more of the Main ones to be voiced, which is why I used the very first scene of the game as an example.

Edit: I don't want to crap up the thread beating a dead horse. It is what it is. The games is leagues better than what it use to be.

Sophia

Where did I say every quest? That would be unreasonable. I'm just saying you'd expect more of the Main ones to be voiced, which is why I used the very first scene of the game as an example.

Sorry, I should have specified that I meant Story quests, and it's still pretty much unreasonable. A lot of minor characters show up early on in the story only for a few quests. They'd have to repeat actors across four languages to resonably voice of them all, so they limit it to only characters that have a major presence across the story as a whole.

I need to emphasis that Guild Wars 2 does an insane amount of repeating voice actors. Pretty much every minor male Sylvari who appears voiced is done by Liam O'Brien for example. >.<;

I do expect we'll get more voice acting going forward however. Expansions should have a much greater variety now that the game is out.

jwk94

Erm, come again? Your question didn't make much sense. You wouldn't want to buy a used copy, obviously.

You need a new copy for every system you intend to play the game on.

If someone tries to sell you a used copy you're being ripped off once its registered it can't be used again. The PS3 and PS4 copy will cost you the same pretty much if you buy the PS3 version and upgrade to the PS4 version you lose your PS3 copy.

Sorry, was trying to see if I could grab a used copy of the game on PS3 and still play. Guess not.

Same, I've never seen mine go past 30%. It always crashes around 6% or 23%. Slightly annoyed after six tries of re-downloading/rebuilding. I'm done trying it. I'll try again when they do phase two.

I was just screaming on my knees because I thought it was about to work. Got to 45% and it crashed. 20019.

Does this game use any sort of second screen? Would be cool to have the map loaded up next to you on the Vita or phone.

Great stuff though. Loves those random Fate events that pop up.

Rafterman

Banned
I gotta say this game is impressive as hell on the PS4. Didn't think it would be after playing the PC version, but probably looks and runs better than on the majority of computers out there.

Last real mmo was WoW. Dabbled a little into TOR and lOTR but didn't like much as all.

I wish I had as much time to raid as I used to, but realistically I'm working now and doing school. How is it being a casual in this?

Lebron

Sorry, I should have specified that I meant Story quests, and it's still pretty much unreasonable. A lot of minor characters show up early on in the story only for a few quests. They'd have to repeat actors across four languages to resonably voice of them all, so they limit it to only characters that have a major presence across the story as a whole.

I need to emphasis that Guild Wars 2 does an insane amount of repeating voice actors. Pretty much every minor male Sylvari who appears voiced is done by Liam O'Brien for example. >.<;

I do expect we'll get more voice acting going forward however. Expansions should have a much greater variety now that the game is out.
Yeah, I understand it's very time consuming. It's a minor complaint really. I just don't like to have to get out my reading glasses to play a game is all lol. Hopefully like you said expansions will bring in more VO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom