• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

I really like the PS4 client so far. It looks very clean (albeit with the same foliage shimmering as one finds in the PC version - I don't think anything but supersampling will fix that) and I actually like that it's framerate unlocked. It's nice to get those instances of 60fps as someone who's used to it much of the time on the PC client.

I also really like the trackpad integration into the UI to select UI elements when in play, and it is SOOOOOOO much better using the DS4 for this game than it ever was trying to use a 360 controller on the PC since I fought endlessly with the 360 gamepad's crappy d-pad all the time.

I also find gamepad play as an archer fairly intuitive so far, but I think I'd probably stick to the PC and my MMO mouse for tanking duties.

After phase 2 of the beta (where I assume I'll have access to my original character on Ultros) I really need to resubscribe and actually finish the main story and level a few more classes with my main.

Epcott

Yeah, I would enjoy the game more if it were fully voiced in more cutscenes myself. Mainly due to the text issue, even with the box enlarged its still tiny and a chore to read.

Another gripe is the touch pad. I tried using it as a mouse and while the cursor hangs over the selected item I want, I press down and nothing happens. I even tried double clicking and it didn't select. Also, the frame rate is all over the place. A few times its ridiculously silky smooth... other times it really dips badly. Then there's the always slow duty finder for the dungeons.

But gripes aside, its super addictive. I can't wait until April to dive back in with my old characters.

teiresias

Yeah, I would enjoy the game more if it were fully voiced in more cutscenes myself. Mainly due to the text issue, even with the box enlarged its still tiny and a chore to read.

Another gripe is the touch pad. I tried using it as a mouse and while the cursor hangs over the selected item I want, I press down and nothing happens. I even tried double clicking and it didn't select. Also, the frame rate is all over the place. A few times its ridiculously silky smooth... other times it really dips badly. Then there's the always slow duty finder for the dungeons.

But gripes aside, its super addictive. I can't wait until April to dive back in with my old characters.

If you're trying to select UI elements using the touchpad you have to double TAP the pad (not press it in) in order to select them by moving the cursor over them.

PRESSING the pad down on either the left or the right side lets you cycle through currently displayed UI elements (pressing in the center does nothing, and I don't think left or right changes the order of the cycle, it's probably done that way so whichever side is more comfortable for you to use is accessible).

Cracked out on this game this weekend, reached lvl 20 Thaumaturge. Sucks that's the level cap for the beta. As someone who played FFXI in its early days, this is definitely a step up. Its too bad really, as I like the game, but refuse to buy a game and pay a sub fee every month.

On the flip side, there are many good games coming out in the near future to make me forget about it.

You need to press down on the right side of the touch pad. It's dumb.

Epcott

If you're trying to select UI elements using the touchpad you have to double TAP the pad (not press it in) in order to select them by moving the cursor over them.

PRESSING the pad down on either the left or the right side lets you cycle through currently displayed UI elements (pressing in the center does nothing, and I don't think left or right changes the order of the cycle, it's probably done that way so whichever side is more comfortable for you to use is accessible).

Oh wow, thanks! This whole time I've been pressing into the pad.

Its too bad really, as I like the game, but refuse to buy a game and pay a sub fee every month.

Well the game is $39.99 and comes with a 30 subscription which makes it a good deal. If you've played FFXI its pretty much the same thing where you don't have to pay every month (if you don't feel like playing).

Ricker

Couldn't play much today...So far I tried a Miquote Conjurer and a big guy Marauder on PC beta last year and Human Arcanist on this PS4 beta...I think I will try all the classes this week,I will even do a Lalafell just for the hell of it...(did they keep the panic emote for these guys,it was hilarious in XI ?)...

Out of the 3,the Marauder was the most fun so far but I got him the highest,level 14 only I think...

Last real mmo was WoW. Dabbled a little into TOR and lOTR but didn't like much as all.

I wish I had as much time to raid as I used to, but realistically I'm working now and doing school. How is it being a casual in this?

very casual game. most groups finish their raiding in 1-2 hours a week. the rest can be done with randoms.

Cmagus

No vanity slots?

Vanity is coming in 2.2 which is being released in March. It'll be out before PS4 copy is released.Here is what is coming in 2.2
Taken from: Nova Crystallis

Currently, the content set for Patch 2.2 (March) is as follows:

Leviathan Primal Battle (Hard and Extreme Modes)
The Amdapor Township Dungeon
The Binding Coil of Bahamut Extension
Thornmarch Extreme Mode
Brayflox’s Longstop Hard Mode
Halatali Hard Mode
New Daily Beast Tribe Quests (Kobold and Sahagin)
New Hildibrand storyline
New Allagan Tomestone types
Glamours Vanity System named Mirage Prism
New advanced crafting recipes
New fishing challenges
New Aesthetician hairstyles

Some 2.2 footage of Leviathan and Amdapor Town

Grimsen

Thanks for that. Unbelievably useful tip.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Where are you having trouble? We can probably give you some advice.

For the final boss,
the trick is that you can prevent the adds from appearing if you examine the hatches where bubbles have formed. When the message appears on your screen, whoever is free needs to check the hatches.
It's mostly just not proper party setup. Can't find healers so it's just melee and a black mage.

Perhaps someone can help me figure this out. So yeah, the text is small and I have to sit close to read it, there's something about this game that makes my eyes feel weird after a while. It's like they're constantly strained even when not reading text. I now have a headache and I've been off the game for 3+ hours.

Perhaps someone can help me figure this out. So yeah, the text is small and I have to sit close to read it, there's something about this game that makes my eyes feel weird after a while. It's like they're constantly strained even when not reading text. I now have a headache and I've been off the game for 3+ hours.
Fluctuating framerate + shimmering + jittery camera rotation = what you just said.

Sophia

The UI is designed for PC users sitting close up, so that's probably why you're having issues reading the text. Enough people are complaining that this should hopefully be rectified by phase 2 of the beta.

Fluctuating framerate + shimmering + jittery camera rotation = what you just said.

Yeah rotating the camera around is going to cause that. They really should add the 30 FPS toggle option for the PS4 version. I'm sure it'd be appreciated for larger groups.

teiresias

The UI is designed for PC users sitting close up, so that's probably why you're having issues reading the text. Enough people are complaining that this should hopefully be rectified by phase 2 of the beta.

The game is on PS3. People have been complaining about it since the game came out. I think SE is just tone deaf over the issue.

Cess007

Yeah, it happens to me too. My eyes get too tired soon; maybe for having to squint in order to read the goddamn small text. Hope they patch the game soon to fix that; it's really tiresome

Sophia

The game is on PS3. People have been complaining about it since the game came out. I think SE is just tone deaf over the issue.

Yeah, and the PS3's UI is just the PC version crammed down into sub 720p. :p

Like I said earlier in this thread, if you want to bring it to their attention post it on the beta forums. Enough people bringing it to their attention should mean new options. This is why it's a beta test, after all.

that's a small text. *squints*

well the download finally completed so I'm just doing the agreements and set up and I'll probably create my character then play for a minute and zzzzzz

haha download within a download, what did the first time set up do?

0.40 MB upload speed gooooooo :p
2 minutes, dos

godl!ke

Neo Member
It seems like I dun goofed. After deleting my main FF14 account to use another, it seems like the original account is stuck into the game. I tried deleting the game and restoring my PS4. FML -_- I can see the FF14 service in my PS4, but I can't disable it. My deleted account is associated permanently to my main PSN id.

Straighten your shit square :( Hopefully square enix customer service fixes this.

To everyone else, YOU CANNOT USE ANOTHER ACCOUNT IF YOU DELETE THE MAIN ACCOUNT!

DanielJr82

Ok, I stopped playing.

I enjoy playing the game, and as I was trying to do all the quests and trying to uncover all the land, I thought to myself, "why the fuck am I doing this?".

I have a huge backlog and I am playing a game thats about to be wiped in 2 weeks.

So yeah, I'll start again in March.

Dude, I saw a Mikey Jr get KO'd by one of those bird monsters on Western Thana-whatever, about an hour ago. Was it you perchance? :p I'm playing on PS4_beta2 server.

RedAssedApe

Banned
any suggestions for what target filters to use to make targeting more efficient for gamepad users?

i'm a lvl9 conjurer atm if that matters. thx

So you start in one of three towns depending on what character you pick, and apparently once you hit level 15 you can travel between them.

Question is, how? I'm level 16 now and no indication I can do that now and no tutorial. I'd like to see the other two towns.

Sophia

So you start in one of three towns depending on what character you pick, and apparently once you hit level 15 you can travel between them.

Question is, how? I'm level 16 now and no indication I can do that now and no tutorial. I'd like to see the other two towns.

Airship access is unlocked at level 15 as part of the story. Always keep up on your story and class quests. The story quests are marked with a flame indicator in your log, and the class quests have their respective class's icon.

It seems like I dun goofed. After deleting my main FF14 account to use another, it seems like the original account is stuck into the game. I tried deleting the game and restoring my PS4. FML -_- I can see the FF14 service in my PS4, but I can't disable it. My deleted account is associated permanently to my main PSN id.

Straighten your shit square :( Hopefully square enix customer service fixes this.

To everyone else, YOU CANNOT USE ANOTHER ACCOUNT IF YOU DELETE THE MAIN ACCOUNT!

What in the twelve are you talking about? There's no option to delete an account currently... o_O;

If you explain more carefully what you did in detail instead of blaming Square-Enix for what is your own self-admitted mistake, then maybe someone can help you. :p

jiggle

Your starting city is based on what job you picked first

Airship travel is available from a story mission
You have to do all the missions in order leading up to it
You can actually travel between Uldha and Gridania by foot even at lv1

Oh, the more you know.

But yeah, remote play is good for this game, though is kinda hard to use Vitas back panel. (or my hands just suck).

You can remap the controls under system config and _I think_ it saves that config for remote play. Have to check as I haven't tried regular TV play since remapping. I just swapped shoulder and triggers, now just have to watch out for brushing the back and accidentally switching command sets, but its better than struggling to execute an attack.

aceface

any suggestions for what target filters to use to make targeting more efficient for gamepad users?

i'm a lvl9 conjurer atm if that matters. thx

Never used filters. While holding down R2 or L2 to activate a hotbar, press r1 or l1 to cycle through enemies only, like tab targeting. For healing in a party, press up and down on the dpad to cycle through party members only. Doing only these two things has worked great for me as a healer up to level 50 +.

mace999

Neo Member
This is my 1st ever MMO and I'm loving it ..... Does anyone know the price this is going to be on release date ??? I couldn't find this info in the 1st post .... and Do you have to pay every month to stay in the MMo !?! Again I have no ideas about MMO but was sure that you had to play monthly for WOW ??

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Any cool missions I should check out? Ive done most of Lancer and story missions I can with lvl 20. Done most I think in Gridania.

I see people with some cool stuff, is that brought over from the main game on a shared account or some missions.

This is my 1st ever MMO and I'm loving it ..... Does anyone know the price this is going to be on release date ??? I couldn't find this info in the 1st post .... and Do you have to pay every month to stay in the MMo !?! Again I have no ideas about MMO but was sure that you had to play monthly for WOW ??

Game is out now for PC and PS3. For PS4 its April 14th. And yes you pay monthly (13$ i believe)

RedAssedApe

Banned

there are tiers but the standard is $12.99/mo on top of whatever you pay for the game initially...msrp is $40 for ps4

I need some help locating an enemy. I'm in the middle of the "Way of the Lancer" quest and I managed to take out three ground squirrels and three little ladybugs in North Shroud. But I can't seem to find three forest fungrars. I found all these other enemies that had a poison attack but none of them are the ones I'm looking for. Am I in the wrong area?

jiggle

I need some help locating an enemy. I'm in the middle of the "Way of the Lancer" quest and I managed to take out three ground squirrels and three little ladybugs in North Shroud. But I can't seem to find three forest fungrars. I found all these other enemies that had a poison attack but none of them are the ones I'm looking for. Am I in the wrong area?
they are in central shroud
just to the east

mace999

Neo Member
Wow thanks for the advice on price, damn it could get pretty costly then to play this game ..... Don't know if it's worth it now !?!

You can remap the controls under system config and _I think_ it saves that config for remote play. Have to check as I haven't tried regular TV play since remapping. I just swapped shoulder and triggers, now just have to watch out for brushing the back and accidentally switching command sets, but its better than struggling to execute an attack.

Yeah, it saves your Vita Remote Play controller setup profile independently of your PS4 Controller one. I love games that do this.

SkyOdin

Guys how do I dye clothes?
You first need to do a level 15 quest found in Vesper Bay, a city in Western Thanalan. After that it is pretty simple: you just need to either use the dye in your inventory as an item, select the dye option from an item's sub-menu, or use the Dye command.

While you can find ladybugs and squirrels in both the Central and North Shrouds, you can only find the funguars in the Central Shroud. Head back to town and leave through the Blue Badger gate.

they are in central shroud
just to the east

You first need to do a level 15 quest found in Vesper Bay, a city in Western Thanalan. After that it is pretty simple: you just need to either use the dye in your inventory as an item, select the dye option from an item's sub-menu, or use the Dye command.

While you can find ladybugs and squirrels in both the Central and North Shrouds, you can only find the funguars in the Central Shroud. Head back to town and leave through the Blue Badger gate.

good to know. thanks

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wow thanks for the advice on price, damn it could get pretty costly then to play this game ..... Don't know if it's worth it now !?!

depends on how long you plan on playing it for. you get a month free when you buy the game. some people have said that is more than enough time to finish the story quests. but i guess there is content beyond that.

someone whose been playing on the pc/ps3 since launch can probably speak more about that though. i'm new to the game like you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom