• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW, this game is absolutely fantastic with remote play. I've been playing since V1 on PC, and ARR on PC since release. I haven't played in a few months, but feels great to jump back in. I'm playing with remote play from my gf's apartment. My PS4 is at home. it works perfectly! barely any latency! this is NEXT-GEN!!

Sophia

THIS

lock it, puhlease

...yes I'm actually still playing this :)

The option exists in the PC version, so it shouldn't be too difficult to add.

30fps0wqlq.jpg

So I bought the original collectors edition when it came out. Threw it away 6 months ago along with token. Just contacted square Enix. How long am I going to have to wait for them to deactivate the token?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If you're trying to select UI elements using the touchpad you have to double TAP the pad (not press it in) in order to select them by moving the cursor over them.

PRESSING the pad down on either the left or the right side lets you cycle through currently displayed UI elements (pressing in the center does nothing, and I don't think left or right changes the order of the cycle, it's probably done that way so whichever side is more comfortable for you to use is accessible).

Ah! Thank you! Was trying to figure out how to interact with windows using the pad outside of the corner press.

Raoh

Sorry man, you're a tank. No ifs ands or buts about it. While this is WoW-lite, it doesn't feature the talent system of WoW that offsets only having one class per character (XIV offsets that by letting you have all jobs on one character).

As you advance through the game, each class gains some off cooldown abilities, but that 2-2.5 sec global cooldown is here to stay.

Sigh.. That's dissapointing, I thought Marauder / Warrior
was more like an "Off Tank" dealing heavy damage and providing backup tanking not main tanking. I just want that old DRK type character I had on FFXI.

So if I want to be a pure melee I have to go lancer or dragoon?

I just created my character in the beta.

World 4
Character: Ladd Russo
PSN: LordRaoh

Tabris

Starting city doesn't matter, correct? -- I.E. theres no faction war I'm tied to sorta like with FFXI?

No faction war but starting city matters for story. Essentially the first 1/5th of the story is told through the initial city, and you can't experience the other 2 cities intros unless you start a new character. So it's best to pick based on what type of setting interests you.

Do you like tree hugging hippies? Go with Gridania. Do you like boring pirates? Go with Limsa. Do you like the greatest city in the game? Go with Ul'dah :)

Honestly I prefer Ul'dah because you get to spend a lot of time with a cool character, over the other two cities.

EDIT - Actually, since your character will be wiped. Go with Limsa or Gridania, then try Ul'dah when you play the real game.

godl!ke

Neo Member
Airship access is unlocked at level 15 as part of the story. Always keep up on your story and class quests. The story quests are marked with a flame indicator in your log, and the class quests have their respective class's icon.

What in the twelve are you talking about? There's no option to delete an account currently... o_O;

If you explain more carefully what you did in detail instead of blaming Square-Enix for what is your own self-admitted mistake, then maybe someone can help you. :p

I went to Square Enix Account website on my PC, and cancelled my account from there -_- I guess it's also my fault...

Sophia

I went to Square Enix Account website on my PC, and cancelled my account from there -_- I guess it's also my fault...

Did you go to Square-Enix.com? Because you don't manage your FFXIV account there... and it's not possible to do anything FFXIV related there anyhow. :p

As indicated on the game's website, clear as day, all FFXIV related account options are handled through the MogStation. There's no way to cancel any services related to the beta anyhow...

Neverfade

No faction war but starting city matters for story. Essentially the first 1/5th of the story is told through the initial city, and you can't experience it again unless you start a new character. So it's best to pick based on what type of setting interests you.

Do you like tree hugging hippies? Go with Gridania. Do you like boring pirates? Go with Limsa. Do you like the greatest city in the game? Go with Ul'dah :)

TY.

Ul'dah does look pretty boss, but I guess I'm going to have to go with Limsa or Gridania, as I'm aiming for Dragoon and its two respective classes start there. Blah.

Tabris

TY.

Ul'dah does look pretty boss, but I guess I'm going to have to go with Limsa or Gridania, as I'm aiming for Dragoon and its two respective classes start there. Blah.

You won't be able to get DRG though in beta. It's capped at level 20. And your character will be wiped.

Tabris

I bought the game on PC since it was on sale via steam. :)

This thread is just pretty active with info for a newbie such as myself.

If you want to make your life easier, start with a tank class. Tanks get instant queue'd into dungeons while DPS (DRG, MNK, BRD, BLM, SMN) can take up to 15 minutes or more to get queue'd into dungeon

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sigh.. That's dissapointing, I thought Marauder / Warrior
was more like an "Off Tank" dealing heavy damage and providing backup tanking not main tanking. I just want that old DRK type character I had on FFXI.

So if I want to be a pure melee I have to go lancer or dragoon?

I just created my character in the beta.

World 4
Character: Ladd Russo
PSN: LordRaoh

You'll want to be a Dragoon or a Monk

If you want to make your life easier, start with a tank class. Tanks get instant queue'd into dungeons while DPS (DRG, MNK, BRD, BLM, SMN) can take up to 15 minutes or more to get queue'd into dungeon
And being a healer takes about 5-10 minutes

Finished a dungeon!

lol the tank seem angry at the caster who took the caster shield

I'll probably look at how crafting works and I might be good for the beta.

Semper88

I think i'm hooked.. so is my GF who barely games.
The game is just so casual for a MMO that it doesn't take to much time. Went from 0 to 12 in like 90 min's with a lancer.

Defenitly going to make a warrior, used to be a hardcore raiding warrior tank in WoW a longggg time ago.

Now that i got less time to game but still enjoy MMO's this is defenitly doable!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think i'm hooked.. so is my GF who barely games.
The game is just so casual for a MMO that it doesn't take to much time. Went from 0 to 12 in like 90 min's with a lancer.

Defenitly going to make a warrior, used to be a hardcore raiding warrior tank in WoW a longggg time ago.

Now that i got less time to game but still enjoy MMO's this is defenitly doable!
If you want something closer to a WoW warrior Paladin might be more of what you are looking for.

Levequests takes the game to a whole new level. These missions have some actual thought put into them. Some strategy is needed. I love the party duty finder quest things, so awesome.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They really need to improve on the readability of the UI on PS4, it's really uncomfortable to use/read while sitting a "normal TV distance" away. Is it like this on PS3 as well?

sono

They really need to improve on the readability of the UI on PS4, it's really uncomfortable to use/read while sitting a "normal TV distance" away. Is it like this on PS3 as well?

Agreed, both this and (even more so) the initial log on screen (which occupies only a quarter of the available screen!) doesnt fill you with confidence that much effort has been put into porting it..

Number45

Honestly I prefer Ul'dah because you get to spend a lot of time with a cool character, over the other two cities.
Definitely going to at least start three characters so I can see all of this. I foolishly thought that the race determined your starting location but now I know it's your class - and I'd really like to try gladiator - I can recreate my same character at a different location. :)

One question: someone said that they were able to import their beta character to the PS3 version - in that case could you have a character potentially survive the wipe?

Sophia

Definitely going to at least start three characters so I can see all of this. I foolishly thought that the race determined your starting location but now I know it's your class - and I'd really like to try gladiator - I can recreate my same character at a different location. :)

One question: someone said that they were able to import their beta character to the PS3 version - in that case could you have a character potentially survive the wipe?

The last phase of the original beta (Phase 4) allowed characters to be brought over to retail. No characters from this beta test will be preserved.

Number45

Thanks for linking this (and to dramatis for the post itself), I missed this somehow.

The last phase of the original beta (Phase 4) allowed characters to be brought over to retail. No characters from this beta test will be preserved.

Just going from this post:

really? im installing on ps3 currently (cheaper to upgrade to ps4 version and I LOATHE character wipes), and when I logged into PS3 it asked if I want to bring my current ps4 player into PS3- showed my level 16 marauder and everything

still downloaing now so I dont know just yet- 20 minutes left at 4.27mb/sec

edit: will post if I need to remake or if Im okay shortly-
But reading further on it wasn't possible. :)

EDIT: Woah, phase 2 is AGES away. :'(

Qvoth

1 tip to all the new guys

in the city-states, right click all the aetheryte crystals until you get a prompt saying you unlocked a few more gates, if you didn't get the prompt then you're still missing some crystals

i personally prefer legacy keyboard settings, not sure what the equivalent is for controllers, basically with that setting, if i press s i will run towards the screen, instead of walking backwards
is analog stick down on the controllers for walking backwards or running on the default setting?

Is there a good place to look online for a guide to MMO?
This is my first one, and I'm loving it so far, got the basics down. But I'm daunted by the prospect of doing my first dungeon/instance thing.
Like, I have no clue exactly what my purpose or job role would be in a party.
Plus I have no idea what people mean by "roll greed" "roll need".

So anyone can point me to a guide that explains how to build an effective tank/healer, and then what the hell they are supposed to do.

Number45

in the city-states, right click all the aetheryte crystals until you get a prompt saying you unlocked a few more gates, if you didn't get the prompt then you're still missing some crystals
Not sure what you mean here. On the controller you can target it and press X (attunes on your first press), after that you get an option to enter the aethernet, or set home/favourite destination.

is analog stick down on the controllers for walking backwards or running on the default setting?
Pulling down has you run towards the camera.

Is there a good place to look online for a guide to MMO?
This is my first one, and I'm loving it so far, got the basics down. But I'm daunted by the prospect of doing my first dungeon/instance thing.
Like, I have no clue exactly what my purpose or job role would be in a party.
Plus I have no idea what people mean by "roll greed" "roll need".

So anyone can point me to a guide that explains how to build an effective tank/healer, and then what the hell they are supposed to do.
I've played a good amount of WoW, and in the short time I've spent with this game there's a HUGE amount of difference. You don't want a general MMO guide so much as you want a guide specifically for this game.

The OT has some good resource.

Your role in the dungeon is defined by your class/jpb. If you confirm what class/job you're playing you'll get a better response.

Need/greed. When you're in a group you'll get a chance to roll for an item (literally, this is akin to rolling a dice - highest number wins). If you need the item (i.e. it's relevant for your class, and an update to what you have equipped, you should roll need. If you want the item for another means (crafting/financial gain) then you should roll greed. The etiquette being that need always gets preference, so you should never roll need unless you actually need the item

Hellers

Not sure what you mean here. On the controller you can target it and press X (attunes on your first press), after that you get an option to enter the aethernet, or set home/favourite destination.

There's a network of smaller crystals to free teleport around town. Unlock all of those per city and you get extra free destinations.

Yaqoub

Sorry if this was asked before but will the retail client have region limitations like the beta client?

In other words, will I be able to play with my European SE account on my US PSN account using a US retail version client? Did the PS3 version work that way?

So after doing a few quests and completing a few rewards in my hunting log, this is a very interesting first-time experience. I'm still trying to get the hang of a few things. Gotta remember to target first then attack. Died a few times which were all my fault (foolish entered a fate thing with this big creature that poisoned me to death; killed by another creature that was someone in the level 20s; tried taking on two Bog Yarzons at once and got wasted). If I have one nitpick, it's that I wish there was an easier way to obtain lots of gil. Only have 300-something gil and I'm at Level 6. It feels like I should have at least a little more than that.

So after doing a few quests and completing a few rewards in my hunting log, this is a very interesting first-time experience. I'm still trying to get the hang of a few things. Gotta remember to target first then attack. Died a few times which were all my fault (foolish entered a fate thing with this big creature that poisoned me to death; killed by another creature that was someone in the level 20s; tried taking on two Bog Yarzons at once and got wasted). If I have one nitpick, it's that I wish there was an easier way to obtain lots of gil. Only have 300-something gil and I'm at Level 6. It feels like I should have at least a little more than that.

you dont need to buy anything untl around level 8- and by the you will have around 2-3000 gil

Rsinart

Well made it to lvl 19. So far I am enjoying it as much on PS4 as I did on PC when I was in the beta. Couple quick questions:

Anyone know if its possible to use a keyboard and controller? Finding it hard to talk using an on screen keyboard. I know on PC I used my keyboard for macros and talking while using the controller to move and it worked great.

Also I know in PC beta they allowed you to do 2 different lvl jumps. Are there any in this beta?

King_Moc

Banned
Has anyone found an easy way to select the chat box when on vita? On PC you could cycle through all selectable HUD elements with a button, but I've not found an equivalent here.

For people who played the PC version maxed out, how does the PS4 version seem to compare graphically?

The anti aliasing seems a bit more blurry, a few textures are worse and the frame rate is noticeably worse. Not too shabby overall though.

Number45

Thanks for the reply.
I'm an Archer.
Just passed level ten, and was deciding to branch out in either carpentry or botanist.
In which case, your role in the dungeon will be to deal damage.

Carries less responsibility than the other two roles, but mistakes can still cause problems. Personally, I always try to:

1. Be nice
  2. Try to understand that everyone has to learn (not going to be a problem for you yet, but all too easily forgotten it seems)
  3. Respect the loot system
  4. If people in there know what they're doing, listen to them
  5. Really goes back to #1, but try not to retaliate when you find someone that's not understanding. Not always easy, has always helped me keep calm

Personally, I will do a good amount of research on a role anyway before I group up. It's my responsibility as DPS to do as much damage as I can without pulling aggro from the tank. Also, if you have any utility spells (silence or decurse for example) be aware and use them if/when necessary.

It's a learning process, but ultimately (usually) rewarding. :)

jiggles

Banned
Has anyone found an easy way to select the chat box when on vita? On PC you could cycle through all selectable HUD elements with a button, but I've not found an equivalent here.

Touch the right side of the touchscreen to cycle forward, and the left side to cycle backwards? I'm assuming the DS4 touchpad is mapped to the Vita's touchscreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom