• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number45

Anyone know if its possible to use a keyboard and controller? Finding it hard to talk using an on screen keyboard. I know on PC I used my keyboard for macros and talking while using the controller to move and it worked great.
Also interested to know this.

Reading the reviews here suggests that the PS4 supports BT keyboards, which I wasn't aware of. Weird that it says you have to synchronise a mouse first though.

In which case, your role in the dungeon will be to deal damage.

Carries less responsibility than the other two roles, but mistakes can still cause problems. Personally, I always try to:

1. Be nice
  2. Try to understand that everyone has to learn (not going to be a problem for you yet, but all too easily forgotten it seems)
  3. Respect the loot system
  4. If people in there know what they're doing, listen to them
  5. Really goes back to #1, but try not to retaliate when you find someone that's not understanding. Not always easy, has always helped me keep calm

Personally, I will do a good amount of research on a role anyway before I group up. It's my responsibility as DPS to do as much damage as I can without pulling aggro from the tank. Also, if you have any utility spells (silence or decurse for example) be aware and use them if/when necessary.

It's a learning process, but ultimately (usually) rewarding. :)

Thanks man.
Will give it a go.
Hopefully don't get everybody killed.

Sophia

The dungeons in the beta (Sastasha / Tam-Tara Deepcroft / Copperbell Mines) are all fairly easy as long as you let the tank get aggro and the healer doesn't spam their only healing spell. They're pretty straightforward dungeons for the most part, with only one mechanic at best per boss.

Ifrit is slightly harder, but as long as you're taking out the nail you shouldn't have too many problems.

Victrix

*beard*
Also don't make the mistake of judging the dungeons or raid content from the low level dungeons if you're a veteran mmo player

They get way more involved later

danthefan

Have got myself up to lv 12 now as a Thaumaturge, if this character is going to be wiped I think I'm just going to stop playing now. I've enjoyed the game enough to give it a chance on release.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK after way too much time spent on this game this weekend, I'm quitting the beta.

Gonna try a new starting city for the full game, and make the switch from a WHM goal to a SCH one. Can't wait for Phase 2, but can't drop any more time into my soon to be wiped character.

xMuku

To many of the new player:

The game gets incredibly better after level 30 (I know it's a stretch but worth it) and by that time you get to start your main job after leveling the other class to 15.
The story gets a lot more in depth as well and there is a fair amount of content at the endgame, like hours and hours of stuff. The game is pretty generous for gearing up until you get to the ilvl70-90 stuff.

Lime

How much of the main story is able to be played solo? And how do I get help for the story levels that require groups?

Cmagus

How much of the main story is able to be played solo? And how do I get help for the story levels that require groups?

You can solo most of the story but you will need parties for dungeons along the way. There are many ways such as joining a linkshell and free company and asking for help. They have a party finder so you can look up or start a party where people can join or you can enter the duty finder that will put you with random people.

Taruranto

With the exception of 4-5 story-dungeons, everything is solo-able (Actually, you don't have much of a choice, you can't party for normal story quests)

The game is closer to a single player jrpg featuring co-op than a mmorpg, sadly.

nubbe

With the exception of 4-5 story-dungeons, everything is solo-able (Actually, you don't have much of a choice, you can't party for normal story quests)

The game is closer to a single player jrpg featuring co-op than a mmorpg, sadly.

The only thing missing is the companion system from SW:TOR and it would have been a prefect single player game

This sounds perfect to me actually!

Well believe it or not SE customer service came through and unlinked my PSN account no problems with just one single email so now I have my main account setup on my PSN ID so very happy now.

As such have had to start the beta again with a new character but still managed to get on Server 5, character name is Herpa Derpa if anyone wants to add me.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Uh, 4-5? Try more like 15. Dungeons + Primals as of 2.1.

Lime

You can solo most of the story but you will need parties for dungeons along the way. There are many ways such as joining a linkshell and free company and asking for help. They have a party finder so you can look up or start a party where people can join or you can enter the duty finder that will put you with random people.

Thanks, that sounds just like what I hoped for. Looking forward to getting into it in April.

pronk420

i found the controls incredibly confusing.

i had some big green question mark with help text or something pop up in the center of my screen for the entire time i played it and couldnt find anyway to get rid of it, clicking the trackpad anywhere didn't seem to do anything, although moving the 'mouse' seemed to change what the other buttons would do, i only managed to open the quest info by accident trying to do something else and couldn't figure out how to get it back, and there didn't seem to be any markers on the map to show you where the quests were.

danthefan

i found the controls incredibly confusing.

i had some big green question mark with help text or something pop up in the center of my screen for the entire time i played it and couldnt find anyway to get rid of it, clicking the trackpad anywhere didn't seem to do anything, although moving the 'mouse' seemed to change what the other buttons would do, i only managed to open the quest info by accident trying to do something else and couldn't figure out how to get it back, and there didn't seem to be any markers on the map to show you where the quests were.

You might have had something else selected, if you hit circle a few times then press the trackpad it should work for you.

To open the quest info, to be fair that is not hard, you just press the options button and nagivate through the menu.

And there are markers on the map for quests, unless you've turned them off by mistake.

Number45

If he hasn't cleared off that first tip, he won't have seen any of the later ones.

On the PS3 version it actually has a picture of the select button (that you use to make that window active, then press X to see the tip in full) on that big green question mark, does it not mention what button you should be using on the PS4 version?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
OK after way too much time spent on this game this weekend, I'm quitting the beta.

Gonna try a new starting city for the full game, and make the switch from a WHM goal to a SCH one. Can't wait for Phase 2, but can't drop any more time into my soon to be wiped character.

That's kind of where I'm at. Finished the airship missions, seen the other 2 cities and started all the jobs available. I want to see more, but it'll be wiped (and the 20 level limit).

What's the better option: buy the PS3 version (even though I have no HDD space currently for it) to eventually upgrade to PS4.

Or PC it (which I'm ok with doing, but I'd like to make sure the console and PC crowd's share the same servers). I assume PC version isn't "transferable" to PS4 (and would probably be a "downgrade", though I haven't tried using a mouse on the PS4 version)

Kintaro

why sadly? judging by the negativity in your posts here, i think it's safe to say this game is not for you

"Sadly" depends on the person. For a MMO, that is kind of sad. However, at 50+ every single meaningful thing you do in the game is gone with a group. So, pre-50, it's pretty solo. Post 50, its all group. Partly because of this set up, there is a chance that people just don't learn their role and class in the game properly. This is doubly so when take up additional jobs (because it's straight grind after your first class).

It depends on the type of player though.

Number45

What's the better option: buy the PS3 version (even though I have no HDD space currently for it) to eventually upgrade to PS4.

Or PC it (which I'm ok with doing, but I'd like to make sure the console and PC crowd's share the same servers). I assume PC version isn't "transferable" to PS4 (and would probably be a "downgrade", though I haven't tried using a mouse on the PS4 version)
As you say, if you pick it up on PS3 now you can transfer to PS4 upon launch. Servers are shared across all platforms.

If you pick it up on PS3 *and* PC you'll be able to play it anywhere (still transfer to PS4 at launch), and you'll get two lots of 30 days "free" as well. That's what I did (although my free time runs out just as the PS4 launches, which is rather daft on my part).

Yeah, early levels story is mostly soleable, but the there are several dungeons (and boss fights) that are required to progress story that aren't. Try 14-15 and end game is not soloable at all.

This is not FFXI which even the levl 10 quest you need ppl to help you. Is a reality that should have been accepted months ago.

danthefan

Just on the controls - it took me a small amount of time to get used to them but I have no problem with them now, I can do everything I want to do, they aren't especially complicated.

I like the whole FATEs thing, makes running about the place just that bit more interesting.

I also like the sound of this:

An expansion, he says, that will have "the [same] amount of content released with the relaunch."

The first expansion will nearly double the size of the game? Yes please.

pronk420

If he hasn't cleared off that first tip, he won't have seen any of the later ones.

On the PS3 version it actually has a picture of the select button (that you use to make that window active, then press X to see the tip in full) on that big green question mark, does it not mention what button you should be using on the PS4 version?

oh i think the problem was that i couldn't clear that, the green question mark had select and something that looked like the trackpad under it so i thought i needed to press that to dismiss it, but nothing seemed to work.

from what i remember the options button didnt do anything at all, perhaps something to do with not being able to get rid of the tip.

basically the use of the trackpad didn't seem well explained or to work in an intuitive way, or was just bugged when i played it

You sure? I'm not counting places like Cutter's Cry cause they are optional.

Well, either way it's just the dungeons and you can DF them.

Some are optional, but places like Brayflox or Stone Vigil are part of the main story. Actually the majority of pre-50 dungeons are necesary for the plot.

Lonestar

Just on the controls - it took me a small amount of time to get used to them but I have no problem with them now, I can do everything I want to do, they aren't especially complicated.

I like the whole FATEs thing, makes running about the place just that bit more interesting.

I also like the sound of this:

The first expansion will nearly double the size of the game? Yes please.

About Fate: last night, I ran off into "South Shroud" near "Forest town", which is all level 25+ stuff, ran into 2 random people fighting in higher level FATEs, and I joined them. Took a while, but the 3 of us managed to win a couple of them by ourselves, and even the ones we couldn't "win" in time, still pulled in good XP.

I would argue the controls aren't bad at all. There's just a lot to do and have mapped and it takes time to learn it all. People equate "bad" to confusing. Just because the game doesn't play like a TPS and has more buttons that need mapping doesn't mean the controls are "bad."

danthefan

I would argue the controls aren't bad at all. There's just a lot to do and have mapped and it takes time to learn it all. People equate "bad" to confusing. Just because the game doesn't play like a TPS and has more buttons that need mapping doesn't mean the controls are "bad."

I played WoW some years ago and at the time I would have found it very hard to imagine playing an MMO with anything other than a mouse and keyboard. They've made the game totally playable with a controller imo, which is a fair achievement.

I played WoW some years ago and at the time I would have found it very hard to imagine playing an MMO with anything other than a mouse and keyboard. They've made the game totally playable with a controller imo, which is a fair achievement.

Exactly. I played FFXI for awhile and had to use the keyboard to be decent. I might switch to a keyboard for FFXIV on the PS4, but I'm actually shocked at how decent the controller is.

Number45

oh i think the problem was that i couldn't clear that, the green question mark had select and something that looked like the trackpad under it so i thought i needed to press that to dismiss it, but nothing seemed to work.

from what i remember the options button didnt do anything at all, perhaps something to do with not being able to get rid of the tip.

basically the use of the trackpad didn't seem well explained or to work in an intuitive way, or was just bugged when i played it
Yeah, the button you press will basically bring that element into focus (in this case I think you'll be wanting to click (not tap) the trackpad) then that icon should change to X, which you can press to bring up the tip itself.

There's a post on the EU blog that covers the controller inputs, but it should become second nature in no time.

"Sadly" depends on the person. For a MMO, that is kind of sad. However, at 50+ every single meaningful thing you do in the game is gone with a group. So, pre-50, it's pretty solo. Post 50, its all group. Partly because of this set up, there is a chance that people just don't learn their role and class in the game properly. This is doubly so when take up additional jobs (because it's straight grind after your first class).

It depends on the type of player though.

There's almost no way to reach 50 without learning to do your job, due to the required dungeons and boss fights. Especially since the update that made dungeoning the fastest way to get XP.

IMBored

I never thought I would buy a MMO, even more one with a monthly sub, but this beta is making me seriously considering it. I think it's the awesome soundtrack combined with the way I can play it almost like a normal RPG with a little bit of social stuff when I feel like it.
Also, the FMVs on this game are great, squeenix at it's best.

Kintaro

There's almost no way to reach 50 without learning to do your job, due to the required dungeons and boss fights. Especially since the update that made dungeoning the fastest way to get XP.

I would dispute that based on my own playtime. I could despite it quite hard. In fact, one doesn't really learn the ins and outs of their job until you're done with the damn storyline.

ahuffman

Banned
Well they hooked me, that's for sure. I have not played a sub MMO since Galaxies, but it looks like this will be the next one. Even knowing my progress will be wiped, I still cannot stop playing. Well played SE.

Lonestar

I would dispute that based on my own playtime. I could despite it quite hard. In fact, one doesn't really learn the ins and outs of their job until you're done with the damn storyline.

Sup' "Darsh"
Is there an SoD (FFXI) on XIV?

Skilletor

lol. If that were true, groups wouldn't be surprised that I'm a BLM that actually sleeps stuff (lvl 49 BLM here).

Isaccard

It's entirely possible to get a group who know what they're doing your entire way through. Everyone should know their rolls by level 32 because Brayflox is tough shit if no one knows what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom