• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It's entirely possible to get a group who know what they're doing your entire way through. Everyone should know their rolls by level 32 because Brayflox is tough shit if no one knows what they're doing.

I recall noob groups I was in at launch just brute forcing Brayflox. It's a little step up, but not that big of one. Titan was the brick wall for awhile but that was due to laggy servers at the time.

Sup' "Darsh"
Is there an SoD (FFXI) on XIV?

Some of us (Lenneth, Hogashi, Rufusmckain, Dhiloda, Mjunter, Nightwing, myself, Jae) hopped on to Excalibur. I haven't been in weeks due to health + burnout (there is not shit to do until next patch).

Isaccard

I recall noob groups I was in at launch just brute forcing Brayflox. It's a little step up, but not that big of one. Titan was the brick wall for awhile but that was due to laggy servers at the time.

Brute forcing your way through will only take you so far, nor will it always work. Remember that AK run you did a ways back? Can you see yourself just brute forcing it the way it was back then?
now you probably can as it's face roll easy now

Number45

Any recommendations for a wireless keyboard? PS4 of course.
I've been toying with the idea of picking up the official PS3 one, which seems to support the PS4 fine. Ideally would like someone to chime in on if they've actually played this with it though.

Kintaro

Brute forcing your way through will only take you so far, nor will it always work. Remember that AK run you did a ways back? Can you see yourself just brute forcing it the way it was back then?

Remember that AK is after the storyline and 50+. Which is where I said you begin to truly learn your job.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've been using a bluetooth KB, that was designed for the ipad. Works, though there might be a little bit of a "hiccup" at times when typing (like typing multiple letters instead of just 1 i.e. "hurrry upp)

I know that feel.

Enjoyed Dark Age of Camelot
Enjoyed Everquest
Disappointed by Star Wars Galaxies
Skipped WoW
Disappointed by Warhammer Online
Disappointed by Age of Conan

Please. FF14. Please.

yeah.
Enjoyed early hard-ass FFXI
Enjoyed Dreamcast's PSO
disappointed in Dark Age of Camelot (didn't get it at the time, but I remember trying it)
disappointed in Aion
WoW was ok, but I didn't stay beyond a month or 2.
Enjoyed going back to FFXI (and seeing how it'd be made easier, though I did manage to complete Chains of Promethia before they removed the level caps. That was a long, long, process...)
Enjoyed Planetside 1 & 2 (still play 2)

Didn't like FFXIV 1.0's beta, skipped 1.0 entirely
Once I got to see some of the FATE's, Duty Finders, etc; as well as some of the slightly higher attacks, FFXIV 2.0 kind of clicked for me. PS4 still has a funky system when dealing with the UI (and no mouse), but that's an easily solved problem.

Should help fill in some gaps between future console and PC releases, Everquest Next being one of them(sounds great).

jiggle

it works on all the required fights to finish the storyline though
ak was the the brick wall that ppl hit because the story fights didn't require ppl to learn to play properly

What about the controls don't you like? Just curious - obviously there are some things that will be better with a mouse, but general gameplay controls seem fine to me (at least once I realised I don't need to strafe).

I recognize the effort of squishing KBM controls into a gamepad. I just think they could've streamlined it even further. Maybe more reliance on smartly organized menus versus toggling different hot bars for everything. I've gotten used to it, but more work could've been done on that end. I'm not even going to get into the map system

I really dig the game and like to play with the VSS mode on my Wireless Gold headset. Fates are neat (defend all the beans), combat is satisfying as an archer, and the world feels vibrant.

Kya Sorentoh will defend the beans at any cost.

Some pics of my misadventures last night

BhM8HzaCcAABCh3.jpg:orig

BhM7dH8CEAEX-MR.jpg:orig

BhM37dYCQAAOve0.jpg:orig

BhM7DhyCMAA8Cz4.jpg:orig

BhM7Q6xCQAAS3c7.jpg:orig
Very fun game. I am enjoying it!

Kintaro

it works on all the required fights to finish the storyline though
ak was the the brick wall that ppl hit because the story fights didn't require ppl to learn to play properly

More to the point though was that AK was 1) After the storyline and 2) People skipped Wanderer's Palace which had loot that prepped you for AK. However, at the time, you could speed run AK and smash your face against it for philos tomes to gear up instead.

An entire tier of gear was ignored by the players. That certainly didn't help.

daveo42

Banned
I recognize the effort of squishing KBM controls into a gamepad. I just think they could've streamlined it even further. Maybe more reliance on smartly organized menus versus toggling different hot bars for everything. I've gotten used to it, but more work could've been done on that end. I'm not even going to get into the map system

I feel pretty much the same way in regards to the controls. Most of the stuff actually works out well outside of a few specific things that make me just want to use a keyboard/mouse instead.

Coming from the PC version and giving the PS4 version a shot, I liked the hotbar setting, but am not sure how well it transfers when working with multiple hotbars and quick switching between. I guess something to get used to. At the same time, the map settings are pretty bad as well as targeting. Targeting has been the most infuriating piece and I'm sure there has to be some way of making it easier, as I know there are some end game members on GAF that play on PS3.

Overall I liked the look and feel on PS4, but I'm not ready to come back and play the game again. It's been a mix of MMO burnout and the realization I have plenty of other games I want/need to play.

Kintaro

One thing is undeniable though. The game can be very pretty (art design/direction is great). Shame DX11 is pushed back to God knows when.

Looks pretty good for a game that's actually a step down from the original in terms of graphics/model detail/animations.

Zalasta

lol. If that were true, groups wouldn't be surprised that I'm a BLM that actually sleeps stuff (lvl 49 BLM here).

I'm constantly amazed at BLM that doesn't sleep stuff when the healer is getting killed and subsequently wipe the party. It's almost as if they didn't know the spell exists or maybe it's offensive to them to perform crowd control.

SkylineRKR

I sort of got a feeling for the controls. I solely use the touch pad to tap between quests and the map. It works.

Considering a purchase.

tonypark

You guys have any keyboard recommendation (bluetooth) for this game, also how does it work if I want to play with my controller but type with my keyboard?
How cumbersome could that be?

Drame

Any recommendations for a wireless keyboard? PS4 of course.
I have yet to receive mine, but I bought the Microsoft Arc keyboard after finding it cheap online. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VR6A9K/?tag=neogaf0e-20 going by the Amazon reviews it's small and gets the job done. No bluetooth though, so one less usb slot for use with ps4. I'll post some impressions after I get it later this week.

I hadn't even realized how soon the phase 1 comes to an end and the phase 2 is really close to launch. Think'll resubcribe and play the ps3 version meanwhile to get some progress in!

I've been toying with the idea of picking up the official PS3 one, which seems to support the PS4 fine. Ideally would like someone to chime in on if they've actually played this with it though.

i'm using that one. they patched in compatibility recently, it didn't work at ps4 launch. it works very well for this game. just keep in mind that ps3 features won't work on ps4. recommended.

OSHAN

I have yet to receive mine, but I bought the Microsoft Arc keyboard after finding it cheap online. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VR6A9K/?tag=neogaf0e-20 going by the Amazon reviews it's small and gets the job done. No bluetooth though, so one less usb slot for use with ps4. I'll post some impressions after I get it later this week.

I hadn't even realized how soon the phase 1 comes to an end and the phase 2 is really close to launch. Think'll resubcribe and play the ps3 version meanwhile to get some progress in!

Nice thanks man.

What's this official PS3 keyboard?

SO I logged on today and in the chat window, I see a system message from ENIX saying

"the text size will be larger in the release version"

It seems that all the text complaints paid off.

aceface

SO I logged on today and in the chat window, I see a system message from ENIX saying

"the text size will be larger in the release version"

It seems that all the text complaints paid off.

Sweet. Seems to be the main complaint people were having.

Edit: I got this keyboard to use with the game on PS3. Not great, but gets the job done.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Agreed, both this and (even more so) the initial log on screen (which occupies only a quarter of the available screen!) doesnt fill you with confidence that much effort has been put into porting it..

Pretty much! Can't be bothered with it if they can't be bothered with it.

Gaz_RB

Pretty much! Can't be bothered with it if they can't be bothered with it.

I actually think they've already said that the log in screen will be full screen during the next phase.

I'd wait until the game releases to see just how much effort they've put in to port it. I think they have indeed bothered with it.

ReaperXL7

So quick question if anyone knows/remembers. I bought the digital special edition on ps3 when it came out, so when we upgrade to the New PS4 release will we upgrade to the edition that we purchased, or just the standard sku.

Basically does the PS3 CE = PS4 CE

Or do all PS3 versions = PS4 standard.

So quick question if anyone knows/remembers. I bought the digital special edition on ps3 when it came out, so when we upgrade to the New PS4 release will we upgrade to the edition that we purchased, or just the standard sku.

Basically does the PS3 CE = PS4 CE

Or do all PS3 versions = PS4 standard.

CE = CE

SE = SE

They said that previous collector's edition owners would get the new goodies from the PS4 CE via in-game mail.

If you're not a tank or a healer, that's very typical.

There are far more people playing dps classes than there are playing tanks or healers.

How do you know if you're a tank or a dps character?

I'm a warrior and I've been told to protect my group and basically aggro the enemy with a flash when I fight. Does that mean I'm a tank?

Also, how do you know what type of character you will be when selecting a character at the beginning? I saw someone on here wrote he chose a magic character bit ended up finding out he was a healer. How does one avoid that?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
quick question: how much of the story is tied to your starting city? i did the gridania start, saw the whole city and left via airship. is that the end of city-state specific stories?

Kintaro

I'm a warrior and I've been told to protect my group and basically aggro the enemy with a flash when I fight. Does that mean I'm a tank?

Also, how do you know what type of character you will be when selecting a character at the beginning? I saw someone on here wrote he chose a magic character bit ended up finding out he was a healer. How does one avoid that?

Maruder/Gladiator/Paladin/Warrior = Tanks
Conjurer/White Mage/Scholar = Healer
Arcanist/Thurmatarge/Pugilst/Archer/Lancer/Summoner/Monk/Dragoon/Bard = DPS.

IMBored

Yep, you're a tank. I didn't even know they would auto group you based on role when I selected my archer, but I would have anyway.

Also, after half an hour waiting I got crushed on the dungeon, I guess I'm feeling the learning curve now.

jiggle

DPS:
Thaumaturge/blackmage/pugilist/monk/lancer/dragoon/archer/bard/summoner

Tank:
Gladiator/paladin/marauder/warrior

Healer:
Conjurer/whitemage/scholar

Can't remember what arcanist is drafted under

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom