• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

iori9999

Banned
Looks pretty good for a game that's actually a step down from the original in terms of graphics/model detail/animations.

1.0 was better graphically than ARR? Just curious.. I've seen some Xfire streams of it back in the day but still couldn't tell because the quality for streams back then sucked..

The first thing I have noticed that I would change. Auto-healing between battles. I think it would add a lot if you had to worry about your own healing. Use your own potions to heal, your own antidotes, etc.

Just so easy to run away from a battle, heal up, and then run back in.

So quick question if anyone knows/remembers. I bought the digital special edition on ps3 when it came out, so when we upgrade to the New PS4 release will we upgrade to the edition that we purchased, or just the standard sku.

Basically does the PS3 CE = PS4 CE

Or do all PS3 versions = PS4 standard.

If you have any CE, PC/PS3/PS4 it carries over. All FFXIV accounts are cross-server.

Murmur

The first thing I have noticed that I would change. Auto-healing between battles. I think it would add a lot if you had to worry about your own healing. Use your own potions to heal, your own antidotes, etc.

No thank you! It's already a grind haha. I would not play it at all if there was added healing time in between battles.

I'm quite happy with the healing system.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
1.0 was better graphically than ARR? Just curious.. I've seen some Xfire streams of it back in the day but still couldn't tell because the quality for streams back then sucked..

Quite a bit better I would say. Models were more detailed and high poly. Better lighting and IQ as jiggle noticed as well. Each race had its own animations per weapon as well I believe but I could be remembering wrong (every one is the exact same in ARR).

I'm of the belief that since ARR was intended for consoles from the get (while XIV 1.x was not, though it was rumored) they had to cut back.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
pol2009-04-1921-47-59-17_zps23f56692.jpg

Lonestar the Tank will return in XIV (and be incredibly average again!)

aceface

quick question: how much of the story is tied to your starting city? i did the gridania start, saw the whole city and left via airship. is that the end of city-state specific stories?

Pretty much- you'll do things to help each city but after you take the airship, story quests are the same no matter where you started.

Later on you'll join a grand company tied to one of the cities but even those are pretty much palette swapped versions of each other. Everything is the same.

Billen

Banned
I found the start mind-numbingly dull, the fighting with a controller somewhat akward, and the framerate hideous.

Good first impression. :D

Jomjom

Banned

It's because the difficulty and challenge of FFXIV is not about this issue. It's about the mechanics, people knowing their rotations, healing during battles. Once you've gotten a few levels, auto-healing is insignificant.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
How many characters can you have at once? I remember in FFXI you could have a couple, but at some point you had to pay for the character spots.

I'd like to have the giant elf warrior tank, but I kind of became fond of the human female archer I made in the beta.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
the music in this game.... wow... i love it so much!

still trying to learn to play with the controller, i know it would be so much easier on keyboard and mouse but... if i wanted that i should just play it on PC

Valonquar

There's subtitles! I always prefer dubs but the VA in this game is really that bad.

Either way your stop getting ANY voices at all after you clear the main scenario, and the majority of that didn't have voices either. I wish the devs had done more voice, or none at all. It just feels really out of place when voices start after hundreds of hours with no voices.

Matchew

I started off a lancer so can you guys/girls help explain the job system to me. Let me see If I got this right at level 30 I can become a Dragoon right? And I should do that right away? I saw somebody earlier suggest that I also should become a pugilist. But for how many levels and what weapons do they use?

I started off a lancer so can you guys/girls help explain the job system to me. Let me see If I got this right at level 30 I can become a Dragoon right? And I should do that right away? I saw somebody earlier suggest that I also should become a pugilist. But for how many levels and what weapons do they use?

After you get lancer to 30, there's no real reason not to level marauder to 15 and get your job. As for puglist, you need to get it to level 12 for Second Wind and Internal Release.

Puglist uses hand-to-hand weapons :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok, so I probably won't play much more under this beta cycle, and I'm a total FFXIV noob here... but my question is..

I made a CNJ. Overall having fun with them. I realized I'm a healer. For some odd reason I am drawn to healing classes even before realizing the actual class role...... :\

So as a CNJ, am I destined to be a healer forever? Or is this like a decent modern MMORPG where every class that has a support role likewise can also act as a decent DPS role?

edit - not to say I won't play. I'm just not investing anymore time into characters that are going to be wiped. I have a PS3 CE that I'm waiting to activate until I can do a PS4 transfer.. so at minimum I will be back in full on the next beta cycle (where characters will be on live servers, right?)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the beta's really fun, but i dont want to play more because of that character wipe :(

ill start back up in phase 2.

yeah exactly. I put about 4 hours into this yesterday and realized "damn.... I really need to stop. no way I am investing serious time into this to-be-wiped beta"

aceface

ok, so I probably won't play much more under this beta cycle, and I'm a total FFXIV noob here... but my question is..

I made a CNJ. Overall having fun with them. I realized I'm a healer. For some odd reason I am drawn to healing classes even before realizing the actual class role...... :

So as a CNJ, am I destined to be a healer forever? Or is this like a decent modern MMORPG where every class that has a support role likewise can also act as a decent DPS role?

edit - not to say I won't play. I'm just not investing anymore time into characters that are going to be wiped. I have a PS3 CE that I'm waiting to activate until I can do a PS4 transfer.. so at minimum I will be back in full on the next beta cycle (where characters will be on live servers, right?)

As CNJ and White Mage you're pretty much gonna be stuck healing yes. Although I'm sure the resident WHMs would say "Cleric Stance WHM dps!!!" you are primarily going to be healing in most later story dungeons and really focused on healing in endgame. If you want to dps, you should also level a dps class. You can freely switch between classes at any time.

Helscream

Banned
For those who have played FFIV:ARR how effective is the Marauder as a tank? I know eventually you can become a Warrior. And how does Marauder->Warrior compare to being a tank as a Gladiator->Paladin?

I made a CNJ. Overall having fun with them. I realized I'm a healer. For some odd reason I am drawn to healing classes even before realizing the actual class role...... :\

CNJ at the moment only goes to WHM which means you're going to be healing a lot more than using stone/stone II/aero/aero II/holy.

You can always choose to switch to another class at level 10 though if you want to play as a DPS role.

J-Rod

I made a CNJ. Overall having fun with them. I realized I'm a healer. For some odd reason I am drawn to healing classes even before realizing the actual class role...... :

Cnj/whm can do decent damage in certain situations, but the role system is pretty rigid in this game, so you will always be the healer first and foremost.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Since they're wiping characters after this phase ends, what is everybody spending their time doing? I'm genuinely curious, since i might hear some good ways to spend the time. I've played before, I guess most new people are just happy with running around and feeling it out though.

Since they're wiping characters after this phase ends, what is everybody spending their time doing? I'm genuinely curious, since i might hear some good ways to spend the time. I've played before, I guess most new people are just happy with running around and feeling it out though.

yea i haven't really gotten far into the game, i was mostly doing quests and fighting monsters. i still don't know anything about skills or leveling up lol. i just dont want to waste my time with the wipe happening and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom