• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

ok, so I probably won't play much more under this beta cycle, and I'm a total FFXIV noob here... but my question is..

I made a CNJ. Overall having fun with them. I realized I'm a healer. For some odd reason I am drawn to healing classes even before realizing the actual class role...... :\

So as a CNJ, am I destined to be a healer forever? Or is this like a decent modern MMORPG where every class that has a support role likewise can also act as a decent DPS role?

edit - not to say I won't play. I'm just not investing anymore time into characters that are going to be wiped. I have a PS3 CE that I'm waiting to activate until I can do a PS4 transfer.. so at minimum I will be back in full on the next beta cycle (where characters will be on live servers, right?)

As others have said, you are for the moment pre-selected as one of the two classes that can become healer jobs and since there is only one job for Conjuror at the moment, that makes you a healer by default. Having said that although you are a primary healer, often times in 4 player parties and certain instances in 8 player + content it will be worth doing a bit of damage on the side while also healing. Its about knowing what you are capable of, knowing the encounters (so nothing gets you or your group by surprise) and often times a DPS oriented healer during certain parts of the battle is more warranted then a pure healing mage. Notorious among that is "The Demon Wall" boss in Ampador Keep, pure DPS for like the first half of the fight as hate goes out the window and you only heal (the first half) when someone messes up and after repel. You just go all out on DPS during that time even the healer.

And I mentioned also "Only one job" for a reason, conjuror is a class, from your class you can spec a job at lvl 30. Each class has a specific selection of job/jobs and right now only Arcanist has two jobs, but supposedly the original 7 combat classes are getting their second job too sooner or later, even seen some marks of what they might be in the .dat files leading up to the original PC release but haven't heard much about them since launch (or even speculated on by the producer/director). One of those second jobs for Conjuror could be a DPS/Buffer/debuffer and hell tank for all we know. They already mentioned a classes second job would likely change existing spells/abilties so they behave according to the job spec so its not a guarantee you will be stuck as healer forever, just it is that way as of 2.16 patch.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Since they're wiping characters after this phase ends, what is everybody spending their time doing? I'm genuinely curious, since i might hear some good ways to spend the time. I've played before, I guess most new people are just happy with running around and feeling it out though.

Over the course of 2 days:
Leveled Archer to 18, Lancer to 8, finished the main mission in the starter city (Forest), visited the other 2 cities, picked up all the classes (fighting and crafting), learned about Levequests, Fates, and Duty Finders.

Now, I've bought the PC game, will install, and work on it for real. Having the character wiped, plus the low level cap made me do this.

If you're not a tank or a healer, that's very typical.

There are far more people playing dps classes than there are playing tanks or healers.

This is VERY true. Even in the PS3 version, I was DPS in the PS3 version, but decided to try a Tank class, and healer class, and I'm liking them so far.

It's great using a tank to can use healing/defense spells and even revive folk.

So I guess Im a merge of the tank and healer class. I mostly use those spells on myself since Im grabbing all the aggro.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Since they're wiping characters after this phase ends, what is everybody spending their time doing? I'm genuinely curious, since i might hear some good ways to spend the time. I've played before, I guess most new people are just happy with running around and feeling it out though.

I played through one city state's story and got my CNJ to level 17. I really want to hit 20 and get a chocobo but I've already playead for probably 15+ hours (ludicrous... been a dozen years since I played a game for so long in so few sittings.) But I can't play any more knowing it'll be wiped. At least I learned I want to go SCH instead of WHM, and got familiar with some of the land.

DanganRonpa should keep me busy til InFAMOUS which should tide me over til FFXIV. Such a shame the game starts the same weekend as Coachella (followed by a bachelor party weekend for a buddy) but duty calls.

so for the second time now I got a message when logging in that says "Based on recent suspicious activity your account may potentially be at risk. For your protection, we have temporarily suspended login access to this account."

I had the same message just yesterday and changed my password, and now today when trying to login in i get the same message :/

Mikey Jr.

the beta's really fun, but i dont want to play more because of that character wipe :(

ill start back up in phase 2.

In the exact same boat.

I stopped yesterday, but I BADLY want to play now, haha.

I was just doing too much shit that was pointless with a character wipe. Like doing all the sidequests which was pointless with a level cap of 20, or exploring the entire map.

made some progress. Reached Level 11 (haven't done anything with a Chocobo yet); completed Level 1 Creature section in my Hunting Log; completed a few fate encounters; did a bunch of quests. Gonna focus on my Lancer Guild quests next so I join other guilds like Botanist and Conjurer

RedAssedApe

Banned

new player. i am literally doing every quest that pops up? wonder if that is a bad idea due to the wipe and level 20 cap...i'm not one to replay games due to time constraints.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
new player. i am literally doing every quest that pops up? wonder if that is a bad idea due to the wipe and level 20 cap...i'm not one to replay games due to time constraints.
If I were you I wouldn't focus on the quests this go-round, just try to travel and explore more. Getting familiar with the layout of everywhere is really helpful.

so the framerate is a little iffy and times, hopefully it will get better. honestly the only thing that is bothering me in the game. Before that it was trying to use the map but i gotten use to the controls now.

Rojo

God damn i would just like to enter one of the dungeons shit where are these quests so i can get through.

^Are you signing in by PC its better to do it by PS4 less hassle the one time password we leave blank on it.

Man, I've really enjoyed the beta. So far I've leveled a Gladiator to 15 and completed the desert city story . Then I dumped another 4 hours into a pugilist and level her to 8.

I really need to stop playing the beta and save myself for phase 2 and the full release. I'm also really happy that I bought the PS3 version during the December PSN sale. I think was right around $10, but no more than $15.

Hmm... maybe I should just start my real character on PS3 now and pay the $15 since my 30 free days already expired. But it'll be hard to step back from the PS4 graphics.

Well, that's it for today. Downloaded, deleted and redownloaded the game again about 6 times today. 20019 error every time. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Yeah, steam sale is on for one more day, $14.99 for standard, $24.99 for Digital CE.
Bought, so if I activate the PC version's 30days does that mean i can play on ps3 too with that free month? I thought someone had said you only pay for one service account and can use them all?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bought, so if I activate the PC version's 30days does that mean i can play on ps3 too with that free month? I thought someone had said you only pay for one service account and can use them all?

as far as I understand it, the sub is available on any platform. But, you have to buy that consoles version to play on that version (except for the PS3 to PS4 transferable, when PS4 is fully released)

About to log onto Ultros, knock on wood...

Trying to log in but it says my country of residence isn't set and to go online and do it. Not only is it set, but I've resaved the info several times. What gives?

Trying to type in the one time password (yes I now know to leave it blank) and getting a constant error how my country of residence isn't registered (which it is) and trying all sorts of password resets over a 30 minute period has my wife and I loathing the game. What a CF just to get in and play!!!

Since it doesn't show on the PS3 or PS4 client, unless you have a security token (physical or mobile app), you just ignore the one-time password thing.

I am surprised they left that link out if I'm honest, since there are going to be a lot of first time MMO players or people that have played MMOs without authenticators.

EDIT: It does show on the PC client though.

sqwarlock

I'm really digging this beta on PS4, but I sort of want to buy the PC version while it's on sale on Steam. I'm still very much a WoW player, but I'm always open for another MMO to pass the time on. Any word on the pricing for the PS4 version, just in case I might want to double dip?

alterno69

Banned
Question, i created a conjurer and i don't get XP for killing random bugs/animals around New Gridania, is that normal? It's taking ages to reach level five, so stupid.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Question, i created a conjurer and i don't get XP for killing random bugs/animals around New Gridania, is that normal? It's taking ages to reach level five, so stupid.

You do get XP just not a lot. I wouldn't waste my time killing things unless its part of a quest though. You'll level up much faster doing those.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Is this a class thing or is it the same for all classes?

All classes

The servers are new, you should be steamrolling mobs at FATEs (those random events that happen time to time in the area your in)

Those FATEs will give you chunks of good XP

Absinthe

as far as I understand it, the sub is available on any platform. But, you have to buy that consoles version to play on that version (except for the PS3 to PS4 transferable, when PS4 is fully released).

I'm still surprised they charge for the game+ a monthly. That's the only thing stopping me from picking this up. If they only charged the monthly or only charged for the game I would stick with it, but paying for both seems like a rip off compared to other MMO pricing models.

SkyOdin

You do get exp for killing things, but it is very, very little. This is true for all classes.

In order to level up, you need to do quests, hunting log, FATEs, guildleves, or dungeons. Or any combination of the above. Just doing the first few entries on your hunting log will get you to level 5 in a matter of minutes. Once when leveling up an alt, my brother got from level 1 to level 5 in a single uninterrupted chain of fighting that lasted two minutes all thanks to the hunting log. The early levels should fly by. Getting from 10 to 15 is the first real leveling hump to get over, but Guildleves and FATEs should get you there just fine.

Just doing the story quests and surrounding normal quests is enough to get you to level 15 without trouble for your first class. I had so many quests left over from my first class that I was able to do quite a bit of questing when leveling my alternate class (since I did a lot of dungeons and FATEs as well, originally).

Completed Level 10 Lancer Guild quest and decided to join both the Archer and Conjurer Guilds. Surpassed Level 5 for both classes, although completing the Level 5 Archer Guild quest was a pain in the ass. Each time I traveled to North Shroud via the Yellow Gate, I was always encountering Level 9 opo-opos which kill me a couple of times (using potions didn't help me either). Luckily, I managed to the enemies at Level 5 so I took care of them and was able to complete the quest. Can't decide what I'll do next but I'll think of something.

Did have one question regarding the Achievements. I completed a few of them, but I can't remember who I was supposed to talk to regarding them and rewards (or where to find the individual). Anyone know who I'm supposed to see about them?

Number45

About the one time password - if you have an iPhone or Android phone you can get their software token for free. An extra layer of security for a service that has payment information linked is never a bad thing.

MilkBeard

I haven't checked the thread so someone has probably posted it already, but as soon as I logged in today some important messages displayed in my log box:

-the text size will be larger in the release version

-Window size for the current window can be adjusted by pressing on the right analog stick

-for any other questions, ask your fellow adventurers!

Our prayers have been answered, lol.

Xux

Completed Level 10 Lancer Guild quest and decided to join both the Archer and Conjurer Guilds. Surpassed Level 5 for both classes, although completing the Level 5 Archer Guild quest was a pain in the ass. Each time I traveled to North Shroud via the Yellow Gate, I was always encountering Level 9 opo-opos which kill me a couple of times (using potions didn't help me either). Luckily, I managed to the enemies at Level 5 so I took care of them and was able to complete the quest. Can't decide what I'll do next but I'll think of something.

Did have one question regarding the Achievements. I completed a few of them, but I can't remember who I was supposed to talk to regarding them and rewards (or where to find the individual). Anyone know who I'm supposed to see about them?
It's a guy named Jonathas by the Apkallu Falls in Old Gridania.

nubbe

Game kicks of after lvl 15
Liking the way my Archer is evolving

Piratey, yaarr

T6V2eph.jpg

hyp

okay sorry if this has been answered already (i did look about 20 pages back) but i purchased FF14 (PS3 version) during the PSN x-mas sale so that i could eventually play on the PS4.

i haven't activated the PS3 version yet. how will i be able to activate on the PS4 and get the free 30 day trial?

thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom