• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kem0sabe

Having a good time playing this on the PC, not sure i will continue subscribed once i complete the main story and see all the small group content, but the game itself is incredibly smooth and easy to get into.

It's probably the most polished mmo experience out there at the moment, and i have to give SE props for turning it around from the version 1.0 release disaster.

Fehyd

Banned
Anyone have any idea how trophies will work when using a character that has a lot of progress from the PC version?

For example, I used to play FFXI on the PC. Then, I picked up the 360 version when it was available. When I first logged into the 360 version with the character that I was using on the PC version for the previous 2 years, a metric ass load of achievements popped all at once.

I'm just wondering if this would be the case when logging into the PS4 version for the first time with a character that has met the criteria for most of the trophies (once the retail version is available, of course).

I know on ps3 you have to complete 1 of whatever the trophy calls for, for it to pop. 1000 guildleves? Do 1 guildleve and you get the trophy after having done it on pc. So just do whatever is required once and so long as you meet the requirements it pops.

I know on ps3 you have to complete 1 of whatever the trophy calls for, for it to pop. 1000 guildleves? Do 1 guildleve and you get the trophy after having done it on pc. So just do whatever is required once and so long as you meet the requirements it pops.

Ok, makes sense. However, do you know how that would work if I already beat the main scenario? I'm not sure how I could make the Warrior of Light trophy pop if I have already finished the main quest line on PC.

Fehyd

Banned
Ok, makes sense. However, do you know how that would work if I already beat the main scenario? I'm not sure how I could make the Warrior of Light trophy pop if I have already finished the main quest line on PC.

Literally I think it's just "Complete a quest" and it pops. That's how it worked for me. Stuff like coil you still have to do for the plat tho.

You can also double trophies since ps3 and ps4 will qualify as different games if people own both.

nubbe

Well, crafting seem to suck badly
I would love to make batches of basic components instead of wasting time on doing thousands of them one at a time

teiresias

I would love to make batches of basic components instead of wasting time on doing thousands of them one at a time

If I remember right once you get to a certain level for each creating class the ability to batch create larger numbers of items at once is unlocked (I think you still have to sit through the animations for reach though, which is stupid - go make a sandwich - but at least you don't have to go through the menus for each synthesis).

SkyOdin

Generally speaking, you probably shouldn't be trying to make thousands of components at once. It isn't very efficient at all. While the necessary shards have gotten cheaper and more available than before, they are still a bit of a pain in the neck to get.

If you want to level a crafting class, don't just churn out stuff for the small experience gains. Craft new recipes for the one time crafting log bonuses, craft stuff that you will have a use for, and above all else do crafting guildleves.

Also, you can unlock Quick Synthesis pretty early on, which let's you automate making large batches of items. They even buffed it recently with the 2.16 patch. Before, it didn't take your stats into account and thus could only make regular quality items (and even had a chance of failure for items that are way below you). Now, it should give much better results.

I love crafting in this game. I have spent way too much time making stuff.

Can anyone help me with pairing my keyboard? It's an older Apple BT I had previously been using with my PS3. I turn it on and it
eventually
appears in the list of BT devices with the DS4s, but when I click on it, it just spins for 15 seconds and says, "Cannot connect to the Bluetooth device within the time limit." Batteries are fresh. Any ideas?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
loved what crafting i tried

what are the best trades for a sch? for money making? i'm thinking alchemist and weaver but i'll probably dabble in all of em.

Is there a total beginners guide somewhere? And by this, I mean GO HERE, NOW GO HERE because I have absolutely no idea what to do or where to go. It's telling me to go the Lancers Guild. Well, I can see a Carpenters Guild but no Lancers Guild. I am actually finding it quite frustrating how difficult this is to even get into the basics!! :)

Is there a total beginners guide somewhere? And by this, I mean GO HERE, NOW GO HERE because I have absolutely no idea what to do or where to go. It's telling me to go the Lancers Guild. Well, I can see a Carpenters Guild but no Lancers Guild. I am actually finding it quite frustrating how difficult this is to even get into the basics!! :)

select the quest in the quest summary and you'll have a summary of teh quest and another button with "map" telling you exactly where you should go to continue y-our quest.

Chesskid1

Banned
looked at the ps4 beta forums and they acknowledged the small HUD/launcher/text and will be working on fixing it.

and they commented on remote play too

"※We plan to make HUD size and layout information compatible with Remote Play in future."

yay

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

what are the best trades for a sch? for money making? i'm thinking alchemist and weaver but i'll probably dabble in all of em.

LOL

No. No...one does not craft to make money in this game anymore. You're free to level all of the crafts. None of them really suit any one class to be honest. Since everyone can be everything, there are no specializations within the crafts that fit one class better than another. It's also the reason why there is no economy to speak of in the game except buying Relic/EX Primal runs. =P

Ricker

Thanks, but that doesn't help :( I'll look for a wiki with an exact step by step guide of where to go..

You know the big Aerythe or whatever in town that you click on to bind yourself to the city...there's a lot of small ones all over town that you can click also and after you can teleport there if you are in the city...the map can be confusing but it help if you follow the quest marker..sometimes I leave the map on the top open,it fades out a bit when you walk/run and you can follow that as well...

sal0713

Neo Member
My only complaint about the ps4 version is the way they used the touchpad as the select button. I started the beta yesterday and those annoying hints pop up and i have to keep pressing the touch pad until it gets highlight it to read it and close it. other than that its pretty smooth.

Aeana

My only complaint about the ps4 version is the way they used the touchpad as the select button. I started the beta yesterday and those annoying hints pop up and i have to keep pressing the touch pad until it gets highlight it to read it and close it. other than that its pretty smooth.
Well, the touchpad also works as a mouse, so you could mouse over to the X on the window and hit close too!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
LOL

No. No...one does not craft to make money in this game anymore. You're free to level all of the crafts. None of them really suit any one class to be honest. Since everyone can be everything, there are no specializations within the crafts that fit one class better than another. It's also the reason why there is no economy to speak of in the game except buying Relic/EX Primal runs. =P

This is kind of disappointing, coming from memories of FFXI.

Bond007

As a FFXI verteran for many years....i can't for the life of me can't into this game.
Tried the PS3 beta way back.....held back to try out a PS4 version later down the road....and nada...still can't

i really want to love it

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wonder if that could be fixed with something like limits on craft jobs you can undertake. Say you can only do 3 at a time (or period and make your choices wisely because it's permanent).

If you allow for someone to swap a new job for one of your 3, the downside is the loss of all acquired levels for that swapped out job (meaning you'd have to re-level it, if you ever went back).

Something like that would get back to people potentially having specialized skills, meaning that items would become "rarer" because fewer people can make them, or it could lead to character explosions, as people would create enough secondary characters to cover all their crafting needs.

I say all that, but from what I tried out on just leathercrafting, the crafting process in XIV is actually fun, while FFXI's crafting process was abject garbage (put your items together in some inventory blocks, press a button, hope it works and pray it'll give you 0.1 xp!

cilonen

Can any FFXIV vets who have played TERA prior to this comment on whether this is as ridiculously grindy to get decent gear / crystals / stats at endgame?

Basically, how is the RNG factor in this one?

Fehyd

Banned
Wonder if that could be fixed with something like limits on craft jobs you can undertake. Say you can only do 3 at a time (or period and make your choices wisely because it's permanent).

If you allow for someone to swap a new job for one of your 3, the downside is the loss of all acquired levels for that swapped out job (meaning you'd have to re-level it, if you ever went back).

Something like that would get back to people potentially having specialized skills, meaning that items would become "rarer" because fewer people can make them, or it could lead to character explosions, as people would create enough secondary characters to cover all their crafting needs.

I say all that, but from what I tried out on just leathercrafting, the crafting process in XIV is actually fun, while FFXI's crafting process was abject garbage (put your items together in some inventory blocks, press a button, hope it works and pray it'll give you 0.1 xp!

Well, to be fair, part of the reason for the stalled economy atm is housing. The guild housing prices were so high, everyone pretty much sat on their gil, so nobody's buying.

Add to the fact that there's just so many crafters, and basically you have most things being sold, or readily available almost at-cost.

Most of the money atm is from selling high level crafting components that you get from dungeons or buy with tokens from dungeons/raids.

If anything, I think Culinarian is the current "most profitable", since everyone still needs HQ foods for raiding, but even then, you're competing with a lot of others of the same crafting class.

Its sort of the exact opposite of FFXI, where Square was so slow to fight the gil-farmers and inflation that it meant any new player in the game couldn't afford even the simplest items because prices were so inflated.

They sorta took it too far, and made most things trivial to purchase in the economy in FFXIV, but I believe Yoshi-P has said that its easier to work upwards from this, and provide an economic boost, than it is to just dump gil from an economy. (Although he sorta did find a way to get those clinging to gil to dump it with the huge housing prices at start)

My girlfriend's PS3 RR account has been restricted for some reason. It says that it's because of a 'change in connection or suspicious activity'. She's brought her PS3 over to my house and put her console on my wi-fi, so I think we know why there's a 'change in connectivity, but how do we fix this?

Aeana

My girlfriend's PS3 RR account has been restricted for some reason. It says that it's because of a 'change in connection or suspicious activity'. She's brought her PS3 over to my house and put her console on my wi-fi, so I think we know why there's a 'change in connectivity, but how do we fix this?
The permanent fix is to attach a security token to the account, either the hardware keyfob or the smart phone app. And you can remove the restriction by resetting the password.

Fehyd

Banned
Oh thank god for that. The phrase 'Masterwork' still makes me twitch.

Heck, they're getting rid of the weekly cap for Myth in 2.2, so you could basically just grind Myth until you have a full set of endgame myth gear, and its basically some of the best gear in the game, below the new stuff they're adding for the new Coil turns.

Gear types go like this.

AF1 (Artifact 1): Is the "class attire" you see in the cutscenes and promo material. You get this for getting to 50 and beating your class questline. Its replaced quickly.

Darklight: the next step up from AF1, its ilvl70 and purchased with Philosophy Tomes, which are much easier to come by than their cousin.

Darksteel: Crafted ilvl70 armor. If its melded with materia up the wazoo, it can be above darklight and in some cases almost as good as ilvl90 gear. Its expensive.

Crystal Tower: ilvl80 gear that drops from the 24-man raid, but currently you can only earn 1 piece a week. Supposed to change in 2.2.

AF1.5 (Was AF2 until Devs named an upcoming set AF2): Same look as AF1, palette swap. Much better stats ilvl90. Tied for best gear in-game with Allaghan. Currently you can only earn 450 Myth a week, which would mean it would take ~2 months for a whole set. This is changing in 2.2.

Allaghan: Drops from the toughest 8-man content in the game, The Binding Coil of Bahamut, ilvl90, different stats and look from AF1.5. The "best" loadout in game for many classes currently is a mix of the ilvl90 gears. Currently the best weapons in the game for most classes drop here.

ilvl90+: Whatever they're having drop from the 4 new turns that are coming out in 2.2 in March.

There's also the EX Primals, which drop ilvl90 accessories, and there's a quest-chain to get your relic weapon (which is the one you see in most promo artwork for a respective job). Most people basically just grind up the chain and replace their worst piece of gear when they can afford or have something new. My fiance' was ilvl50 and a few weeks later she's ilvl75 or so.

teiresias

I had that happen once. I believe they send you an email to the email associated with the SE account and you're able to retrieve it from there - I think they force a password reset when that happens.

It happened to me shortly after ARR launched. I'm guessing someone tried to brute force my password.

cilonen

Heck, they're getting rid of the weekly cap for Myth in 2.2, so you could basically just grind Myth until you have a full set of endgame myth gear, and its basically some of the best gear in the game, below the new stuff they're adding for the new Coil turns.

Gear types go like this.

AF1 (Artifact 1): Is the "class attire" you see in the cutscenes and promo material. You get this for getting to 50 and beating your class questline. Its replaced quickly.

Darklight: the next step up from AF1, its ilvl70 and purchased with Philosophy Tomes, which are much easier to come by than their cousin.

Darksteel: Crafted ilvl70 armor. If its melded with materia up the wazoo, it can be above darklight and in some cases almost as good as ilvl90 gear. Its expensive.

Crystal Tower: ilvl80 gear that drops from the 24-man raid, but currently you can only earn 1 piece a week. Supposed to change in 2.2.

AF1.5 (Was AF2 until Devs named an upcoming set AF2): Same look as AF1, palette swap. Much better stats ilvl90. Tied for best gear in-game with Allaghan. Currently you can only earn 450 Myth a week, which would mean it would take ~2 months for a whole set. This is changing in 2.2.

Allaghan: Drops from the toughest 8-man content in the game, The Binding Coil of Bahamut, ilvl90, different stats and look from AF1.5. The "best" loadout in game for many classes currently is a mix of the ilvl90 gears. Currently the best weapons in the game for most classes drop here.

ilvl90+: Whatever they're having drop from the 4 new turns that are coming out in 2.2 in March.

There's also the EX Primals, which drop ilvl90 accessories, and there's a quest-chain to get your relic weapon (which is the one you see in most promo artwork for a respective job). Most people basically just grind up the chain and replace their worst piece of gear when they can afford or have something new. My fiance' was ilvl50 and a few weeks later she's ilvl75 or so.

This is super helpful, thanks a bunch man; I've bookmarked your post for future reference. I'm probably not going to play much more of this beta phase, I've seen and heard enough to know I'm in; I'll wait until I can start making progress on my future Main in phase 2. I'm going to roll Arcanist first with a view to Scholar but I think getting Arc to 30 gives me flexibility in what to do next to a certain extent.

I did enjoy thaumaturge quite a lot though!

SkyOdin

Alchemist and weaver are good choices for a scholar. That would let you make all of your basic equipment. If you wanted a third, goldsmith might not be a bad idea, since it would let you make your own jewelry.

Though right now, crafting isn't the best way to make money since the game's economy was hit by massive deflation over the last couple of months. Crafters who hit level 50 early in the game were able to make a ton of money, but not so much now. You can still make decent gil melding materia for people, though.

That wouldn't fix the fundamental problem. Right now, the best gear that crafters can make is ilvl 70 gear. Doing so requires about a weeks worth of high-end dungeon grinding to get the materials to make one item. With that same number of materials, you can just buy enough ilvl 70 gear from a vendor to halfway equip a class. High-end crafted gear is nothing more than a luxury item. And even then, there is no means for crafters to make ilvl80 and 90 gear.

So the issue is that craft-able gear just can't compete with the much more readily available and powerful late-game gear. So there isn't much demand.

However, there is hope. Apparently the 2.2 patch will be adding new craftable gear that can be used to make entry level equipment for the new, harder content. It sounds like crafters will be potentially able to compete with other sources of gear.

I wouldn't like to see crafting classes restricted for a specific reason, as well. Right now, combining the different cross-class crafting skills given by the crafting classes is the place in the game that allows for the most character customization. I leveled up different crafting classes than my brother, and as a result our characters learned very different crafting skills. As a result, we use completely different techniques and ability rotations when crafting, and yet we both can make the highest-level stuff in the game. There would be a lot of flexibility and individuality lost if it wasn't possible to level up multiple crafting classes.

In the mean time though, crafting gear for yourself while leveling your character from 1-50 is very economical and results in better gear than what you can find from vendors.

Yeah, crafting is fun. The choice to make crafting work using many of the same rules and systems as combat (i.e. using gear and class abilities) was brilliant.

Fehyd

Banned
This is super helpful, thanks a bunch man; I've bookmarked your post for future reference. I'm probably not going to play much more of this beta phase, I've seen and heard enough to know I'm in; I'll wait until I can start making progress on my future Main in phase 2. I'm going to roll Arcanist first with a view to Scholar but I think getting Arc to 30 gives me flexibility in what to do next to a certain extent.

I did enjoy thaumaturge quite a lot though!

Glad someone can get someone out of my insane ranting on the game, LOL. I've played a lot of MMO's since EQ, and this is probably the first that's been able to actually hold me. Even managed to get my fiance' hooked.

Its actually worthwhile to try and level a job in each archetype (Tank, healer, DPS), since your tomes don't care what class they're earned on at level 50. So if there's someone running a dungeon in your group who needs a dps, you can run it as a dps class and still put those tomes towards your WHM or SCH gear.

Allard

Glad someone can get someone out of my insane ranting on the game, LOL. I've played a lot of MMO's since EQ, and this is probably the first that's been able to actually hold me. Even managed to get my fiance' hooked.

Its actually worthwhile to try and level a job in each archetype (Tank, healer, DPS), since your tomes don't care what class they're earned on at level 50. So if there's someone running a dungeon in your group who needs a dps, you can run it as a dps class and still put those tomes towards your WHM or SCH gear.

Yeah for those working on playing the game for the long haul I also greatly advise the 'one of each archetype' path. I have WHM, BRD, and DRG and I seriously wished I had went and leveled a tank instead of SCH while working on the main missions. So often we can't do an FC event together because we lack a tank and need to go find one in shout/player party wars. The ability to have a player able to fill any role with competency (emphasis on competency... early on it was very hard to gear for more than one job to due mythology/BC restrictions, now its slightly easier with mythology cap change and darklight stuff is so easy to get you will be geared for another job in no time) is a huge boon to the ability to enjoy the game, especially with playing other friends. When I'm not working on getting mythology or doing CT runs during the week I'm trying to level PLD just so I finally have a tank job to use, even have a couple mythology and CT equipment waiting for it when it hits lvl 50 :).

cilonen

Yeah for those working on playing the game for the long haul I also greatly advise the 'one of each archetype' path. I have WHM, BRD, and DRG and I seriously wished I had went and leveled a tank instead of SCH while working on the main missions. So often we can't do an FC event together because we lack a tank and need to go find one in shout/player party wars. The ability to have a player able to fill any role with competency (emphasis on competency... early on it was very hard to gear for more than one job to due mythology/BC restrictions, now its slightly easier with mythology cap change and darklight stuff is so easy to get you will be geared for another job in no time) is a huge boon to the ability to enjoy the game, especially with playing other friends. When I'm not working on getting mythology or doing CT runs during the week I'm trying to level PLD just so I finally have a tank job to use, even have a couple mythology and CT equipment waiting for it when it hits lvl 50 :).

Good to hear! I played primarily as an Archer in TERA but that didn't click with me here. Thaumaturge actually felt the best so far but I don't really want to play a DPS again to get stuck in exactly the situations you mention.

I've actually not tried a tanking class in the beta yet. I'll roll one this weekend and see what it feels like.

Progress Report: Completed two duties, gained access to the inn at the canopy as well as leveqetes (sp?). Completed one leveqete. Haven't gotten entrance to any dungeon yet. I might just focus on getting to Level 15 and doing the Lvl. 15 Lancer quest when I get back on later tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom