• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Can anyone tell me how to switch to normal PC style hotbars on the PS4 version?

Think I saw that on the character config screen. On the left hand side, at the top, you'll see a "vertical" box with contrasting colors, one with a mouse icon and the other with a controller.

Hit that button to change to PC Style screen (it's a toggle switch, hit it again to go back to Controller style)

If it's not in the character config screen, it's the system config screen.

Jomjom

Banned
Think I saw that on the character config screen. On the left hand side, at the top, you'll see a "vertical" box with contrasting colors, one with a mouse icon and the other with a controller.

Hit that button to change to PC Style screen (it's a toggle switch, hit it again to go back to Controller style)

If it's not in the character config screen, it's the system config screen.

Ah that actually changes it to PC style hotbars now? On the PS3 it didn't, it was just to switch over to mouse and keyboard settings, but you would still have the cross hotbars. I will try this when I get home.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ah that actually changes it to PC style hotbars now? On the PS3 it didn't, it was just to switch over to mouse and keyboard settings, but you would still have the cross hotbars. I will try this when I get home.

Seemed like it, from memory from 2 days ago when messing with the config. I remember the hotbar going from the Controller Trigger system, to good ole button lines.

suzu

For those who are trying to unlock dungeons and airship pass, make sure you are keeping up with your story/main scenario quests. These will have a different icon (a fiery ! icon) from side quests.

Fehyd

Banned

Yep. They disabled the PC-style hotbars on PS3. The PS4 version is essentially the PC client, give or take some differences in graphics and framerate depending on what PC you're comparing it to.

Jomjom

Banned
Seemed like it, from memory from 2 days ago when messing with the config. I remember the hotbar going from the Controller Trigger system, to good ole button lines.

Yep. They disabled the PC-style hotbars on PS3. The PS4 version is essentially the PC client, give or take some differences in graphics and framerate depending on what PC you're comparing it to.

Awesome thanks for the confirmation!

One last question. If I connect my wireless mouse to the PS4 I'm not going to be able to use the thumb buttons on it right? I don't have a gaming mouse, it's just a fairly regular mouse that has back and forward thumb buttons that I have bound to my mount and sprint when I play on PC.

Agree

I just hope they add a toggle to lock the framerate at 30fps like in the PC final

Wait how do you do this? I would love to do this!

Well that was a disaster.

first time playing an mmo/ first dungeon (It's Probably Pirates mission/Sastasha) I was with a bunch of randoms and doing fine. Then we made it to the boss area and our dps player disconnected, so my lvl15 gladiator got wreked trying to defend the medic, and our other gladiator followed suit. After like 4 tries we just gave up in shame.

Really stressful stuff, but I was still having fun. I guess its better to play these kinda games with people you know/can voice chat with.

Been playing this since Sunday, and I've been having a blast. It looks really good graphically, and I love helping out other people fight enemies here and there. I also love how it gets so chaotic when you get involved in a Fate and have to take down some enemies. It's exhilarating. I got up to Level 10 today, and I finally got to ride a chocobo for the first time, and I was giddy the whole time I was on it. This is my first time with an MMO, and I'm shocked I'm loving it as much as I am.

SkyOdin

Please tell me you only need to unlock everything once on one account

All story progression, including unlocking access to dungeons and game features, is done on a per-character basis.

However, most optional content in the game is unlocked by simply being high-enough level to do the content and then performing a simple quest. You will ultimately need to do the entire story, however.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Man vita controls messes with my mind. O and X are flipped for some reason for confirmed and target lol.

But god damn Im getting addicted to this game like I did with FF11. I played 11 religiously for many years. I was in a HNMLS and eventually helped lead it. How is the endgame scene so far in the game?

MilkBeard

So it looks like they are going to be doing maintenance in a few hours, which sucks because it's at the time that I usually have open to play (11:00pm - 2:00am PST).

Qvoth

explore near horizon western thanalan, and also black brush station nearing towards eastern thanalan

remember to do your hunting logs! they're a big source of exp
join FATEs (i'm not sure what server you're in, if you're in the ps4 beta server the FATEs should still be very well populated)

i remember i didn't run out of quests until i got into level 48 or 49

SkyOdin

I'm lvl 9 in Ul'dah and there are NO quests anywhere

There should be quests for you to do in Central Thanalan. Check around Black Brush Station. The next story quest in the quest chain always appears within seeing distance of where the last one ended, and you should find more quests in the vicinity of the story quests.

aceface

Ok I'm on, beta server 5, name is Chiyo Mihama.

You can enlarge everything on the HUD except the dialogue boxes but a tip for that- in character configuration under log window settings you can enlarge the text in the log window in the bottom left corner of he screen up to 20. You can make this log window bigger by going into virtual mouse mode by pressing L1 + R3. Then use the cursor that pops to drag the top right corner of the log window to make it bigger. Then, switch the log window to event, and all the text that is in dialogue boxes will appear there, big enough to read!

Edit: thinking of making a linkshell for parties and stuff, anyone want to join?

Crafting isn't as good as I thought it might be, carpentry anyway.

So basically grind out stuff to level up, but going through all the menus makes it a bit frustrating. I wish we could just do crafts consecutively if we want to do the same ones.

Qvoth

Well that was a disaster.

first time playing an mmo/ first dungeon (It's Probably Pirates mission/Sastasha) I was with a bunch of randoms and doing fine. Then we made it to the boss area and our dps player disconnected, so my lvl15 gladiator got wreked trying to defend the medic, and our other gladiator followed suit. After like 4 tries we just gave up in shame.

Really stressful stuff, but I was still having fun. I guess its better to play these kinda games with people you know/can voice chat with.

if you haven't realized yet, the gimmick of that fight is, the boss can do a move that will cause bubbles to appear on the railings, have your ranged teamates on standby near them at all times with the tank fighting the boss in the middle

just have your teammates right click on the bubbles, because if you didn't do that quick enough, adds (additional monsters) will appear

Ok I'm on, beta server 5, name is Chiyo Mihama.

You can enlarge everything on the HUD except the dialogue boxes but a tip for that- in character configuration under log window settings you can enlarge the text in the log window in the bottom left corner of he screen up to 20. You can make this log window bigger by going into virtual mouse mode by pressing L1 + R3. Then use the cursor that pops to drag the top right corner of the log window to make it bigger. Then, switch the log window to event, and all the text that is in dialogue boxes will appear there, big enough to read!

Edit: thinking of making a linkshell for parties and stuff, anyone want to join?
I'll join, if I can figure out how to get my keyboard to pair. :p

Qvoth

But god damn Im getting addicted to this game like I did with FF11. I played 11 religiously for many years. I was in a HNMLS and eventually helped lead it. How is the endgame scene so far in the game?

endgame scene now is bahamut coils turn 1 to 5 and extreme primals
2.2 patch in march will have new primal, new dungeons and new bahamut coils

if you haven't realized yet, the gimmick of that fight is, the boss can do a move that will cause bubbles to appear on the railings, have your ranged teamates on standby near them at all times with the tank fighting the boss in the middle

just have your teammates right click on the bubbles, because if you didn't do that quick enough, adds (additional monsters) will appear

Thanks!

Had no idea and that was fucking us up big time. ill see If I can find a team later.

aceface

Gonna try to get something done before the scheduled maintenance. BTW, what's a linkshell?

A dedicated chat channel that only people in the linkshell can see. The full game has Free Companies to fill this purpose but for gaffers to chat on the beta a linkshell might be the best way to go. I'll probably be on again tomorrow night so send me a tell if you want into it (or someone else go ahead and start one).

Rixa

Man vita controls messes with my mind. O and X are flipped for some reason for confirmed and target lol.

You can changes those X/O settings in ingame. Do this with Vita and your Vita X/O buttons are changed but when you play game w/o remote play, those buttons work right as well.
So changing X/O settings in Vita, wont change them when using DS4 controller.

Question about this
PS EU Blog said:
Please note: To transfer your PS3 account, you must have logged in to it from a PS3 at least once.

Ive ordered PS3 version and Iam going to upgrade it to PS4 version (and take advantage of that 30 days subscription in PS4).
Can I enter the disc to PS3 and load game (patches also) to it before it activates 30 days sub? Reason is to minimize time between upgrading PS3 -> PS4
-> At which point does that 30 days activate?

I assume its when I first time log to game by PS3 with my account?

Reached Level 15 before retiring my character for the night. Managed to get some light exploration done (the area beyond the Nine Ives looks interesting)

Having trouble with one quest though: The Grim Darkness of the Forest. I tried abandoning the quest, but I guess I would have to die while actively doing it to be able to abandon it. Anyway, I for the life of me can't "search for signs of the shadowy figure". Maybe I should have actually read what the guy said, but I have no idea where to go. Any tips?

Slixshot

Banned
Holy Moly, this game is actually REALLY enjoyable. I came in expecting nothing and I'm falling for the art style, the music, and the well-adapted gameplay. Well done, square.

SkyOdin

Do you see other characters? or the same two people?

You meet a quirky important character who wears strange headgear on each route in roughly similar events, but not the same people. There are strong parallels between the routes, but they are different plots with different characters.

Reached Level 15 before retiring my character for the night. Managed to get some light exploration done (the area beyond the Nine Ives looks interesting)

Having trouble with one quest though: The Grim Darkness of the Forest. I tried abandoning the quest, but I guess I would have to die while actively doing it to be able to abandon it. Anyway, I for the life of me can't "search for signs of the shadowy figure". Maybe I should have actually read what the guy said, but I have no idea where to go. Any tips?
When all else fails, follow the quest markers on your map. It may currently be just a small red circle, rather than a definite marker. But that is certainly a point where you need to rely on the map markers than anything else. Try looking
the area north of Matron's Lethe, roughly near the guildleve field.

You meet a quirky important character who wears strange headgear on each route in roughly similar events, but not the same people. There are strong parallels between the routes, but they are different plots with different characters.

Cool, I'll play through all of the starting places then, since you can't do it on the same character.

jiggle

Is this the story mission with the NPC rosalina or something?

When all else fails, follow the quest markers on your map. It may currently be just a small red circle, rather than a definite marker. But that is certainly a point where you need to rely on the map markers than anything else. Try looking
the area north of Matron's Lethe, roughly near the guildleve field.

Well I guess that makes sense cause I haven't seen any giant markers relating to the quest itself

Is this the story mission with the NPC rosalina or something?

Yep

Rixa

How do you chat with other people? I have the Gold headset, am I able to speak with people within a certain proximity of me?

I think party chat through PS4 is the only way to chat with other players. So no random voice chat (which is good, dont like spam & #"¤"¤% ugly words) of any proximity.

Edit: Also remote playing you cant chat, you here other players (if you have joined party chat or made one) speak, but you cant speak. Prolly something to do with streaming limitations between PS4 - Vita.

Neverfade

I don't think I'm a huge fan of the quickly exhausted low level quests. Swapping classes is kind of a drag when you just have hunting logs and FATEs to grind. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom