• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

I don't think I'm a huge fan of the quickly exhausted low level quests. Swapping classes is kind of a drag when you just have hunting logs and FATEs to grind. :/
There are 3 nations worth of lowbie quests to be spread between 2-3 jobs
You get 50% bonus xp, from kills, after taking 1 job to lv50
If you buy the CE, it comes with 2 helmets that grant you 20% extra xp from lv1-10

It doesn't take much effort to reach lv10-15 where you open up
Guildleves
Guildhests
1st dungeon

nubbe

Fate's are fun, in the way that you don't see anyone while questing and then suddenly there are 20 people trying to take down a mob together, and then they scatter in an instance

Also if you log out while in a sanctuary (you will see a moon icon by the exp bar), you can take advantage of rested exp, which will boost exp gain.

Qvoth

Right, but there's 15 levels of bullshit before you get there.

leveling from 1-15 is pretty quick, exploring new areas on the map also gives exp
1 tip, no matter what class you begin with, take conjurer in gridania to learn both protect and cure
i think the class and story quests start to get difficult around 15, having protect and cure helps a lot

if you're starting in uldah, you can reach gridania just by foot, from eastern thanalan, head north east and you will end up in south shroud, the north west corner exit leads to central shroud
if you started in limsa, i don't remember if you need a certain level to unlock the boat ride to western thanalan

Hellers

Right, but there's 15 levels of bullshit before you get there.

I have it down to a fine art. You can level an alt job to 15 so you can run dungeons in an hour or so. First grind to 5 and 10 just by killing level appropriate mobs. It sounds bad but it doesn't take long. Make sure you do your class quests. Once you hit 10 go to a level appropriate area (I tend to use Swiftperch) and grind out guildleves until you hit 15. You'll be surprised at how quickly it goes. Especially if you do the Fates that keep popping up in that area.

Then you can run start running dungeons

stang6604

I think party chat through PS4 is the only way to chat with other players. So no random voice chat (which is good, dont like spam & #"¤"¤% ugly words) of any proximity.

Edit: Also remote playing you cant chat, you here other players (if you have joined party chat or made one) speak, but you cant speak. Prolly something to do with streaming limitations between PS4 - Vita.

couldn't you just use the party chat on the vita instead of trying to do it through the ps4 stream?

Kem0sabe

i think the class and story quests start to get difficult around 15, having protect and cure helps a lot

I feel the opposite to be honest, the quests (solo content) is ridiculously easy to where i am now, level 30, i mean... this is probably the easiest mmo i have played, its just that user friendly in all its game systems, to the point it might get boring for lack of single player challenge.

Take the secret world for example, after religiously doing every single quest in the first zone and investing in a good skill build and equipment, the second zone was actually a pain in the ass, with big challenges and difficulty spikes, something FFXIV fails to deliver.

I like both games, but for very different reasons.

Semper88

I feel the opposite to be honest, the quests (solo content) is ridiculously easy to where i am now, level 30, i mean... this is probably the easiest mmo i have played, its just that user friendly in all its game systems, to the point it might get boring for lack of single player challenge.

Take the secret world for example, after religiously doing every single quest in the first zone and investing in a good skill build and equipment, the second zone was actually a pain in the ass, with big challenges and difficulty spikes, something FFXIV fails to deliver.

I like both games, but for very different reasons.

True, FFXIV is such a casual breeze and in a good way i guess.

Its a time friendly MMO if you ask me. I don't have hours to spend each day but when i do have time i actualy feel like i made progress within 1 hour.

this will ofcourse change nearing end-game but still it aint hardcore in my eyes. This game makes me want to buy a vita so i can play casualy on the couch!

ahuffman

Banned
Anyone else having a problem with the quest where you take orders at the place in Black Brush? I got the orders from the first 3, but the last one is not showing up. The marker is there, but no one is at the marker.

Fehyd

Banned

Its a time friendly MMO if you ask me. I don't have hours to spend each day but when i do have time i actualy feel like i made progress within 1 hour.

this will ofcourse change nearing end-game but still it aint hardcore in my eyes. This game makes me want to buy a vita so i can play casualy on the couch!

Most of the later endgame dungeons can be done in 30-40 mins with a competently geared group. The game really is time friendly, and they've even added all the fights necessary to get your relic weapon to the duty finder as well. That being said, joining a good fc (like the several GAF has), will make things even less "grindy"

Semper88

Most of the later endgame dungeons can be done in 30-40 mins with a competently geared group. The game really is time friendly, and they've even added all the fights necessary to get your relic weapon to the duty finder as well. That being said, joining a good fc (like the several GAF has), will make things even less "grindy"

Well then i'm defenitly looking forward to the final release!

hoping to get the AF armor and weapon for my warrior relatively quick.

nubbe

Neat, the hunger games can commence

PIAcx5B.jpg

one thing I do to level another job is go do those battle quest guildlevys that are a higher level than my character. buy good armor, some potions, then select +4. I've went from level 12 to 13 in under 20 mins completely by myself doing level 15 levy. instead of getting 3000 exp I end up getting 8000.

Can you use the same account and characters on the PC and PS4 or do they have separate accounts and subscription?

It's not totally clear to me, but on this Important Notices page it indicates that while you need to purchase separate copies of the game on PC and PS4, it doesn't mention subscriptions. I figure they would point that out if you had to pay two subs.

Kills me that I just started thinking about going the PC route this morning, as it now seems I'm late for the discount on Steam. I like playing the beta on PS4 but I feel like I'd prefer it on PC. If there aren't two subs I may get both, but only if they fix the font size for the NPC chat window on PS4.

aceface

You only have to pay one sub to use your chars on multiple platforms. I only pay one subscription and I play on both PC and PS3. You do however have to buy the game for every platform you want to play on but you get 30 days free every time you buy it (since I bought both the PC and PS3 versions I got 60 days free). Also there is some stuff that is saved locally like hotbar layouts and gear sets you'll have to set up separately on the different platforms.

molnizzle

After playing the beta for nearly 15 hours I realized that I was wasting my time and decided to bust open the PS3 copy of ARR that I had been saving for April. After about an hour of digging out my PS3 again, getting it all hooked up, installing the game and downloading the updates... servers are down for emergency maintenance for 4 more hours.

-_-

Aversion

Banned

In a couple months you can make this game about as hardcore as you want, not that you can't right now. Try a pub with Titan EX and tell me that ain't hardcore :) You know really man this game has very hardcore elements that are only somewhat buried atm.

Seems to me you are playing the game like a casual breeze. Fine and good. But please make the distinction that this is how YOU are playing the game and it has very little to do with the content itself or what is set for the future as we get into higher and higher levels of gear.

EX bosses are no joke at all for 99% of players.

And don't go tell me mastering the markets is something that some noob does in his 1 hour of playtime twice a week lol. I think 'time friendly' and 'hardcore' are not that distinct if the developer so chooses. I have sunk tons of time in this game. That has nothing to do with hardcore or softcore. The game is about as hard as you want it to be with the added bonus of not having to waste your entire life on it.

teiresias

After playing the beta for nearly 15 hours I realized that I was wasting my time and decided to bust open the PS3 copy of ARR that I had been saving for April. After about an hour of digging out my PS3 again, getting it all hooked up, installing the game and downloading the updates... servers are down for emergency maintenance for 4 more hours.

-_-

The PS3 client is atrocious, some of the mount animations are literally cut down to like three frames. I don't know how anyone can play it after playing the PC client or the PS4 client beta.

Aversion

Banned
the most efficient way to level up is by dungeons now, or so i've heard

For crafting it is leves though.

The PS3 client is atrocious, some of the mount animations are literally cut down to like three frames. I don't know how anyone can play it after playing the PC client or the PS4 client beta.

Boy I brought this up in GBomb FC, how bad the PS3 version is, and all I got was anger lol. Seems some people can't quite take the fact that the PS3 version is like a nice bow-tied piece of poop. I couldn't play that version if I tried. And I have tried to go back. Not possible. I'm barely satisfied with what I have on PC at 2xSGSSAA and 50-60FPS. Going back to the PS3 version I just get lost. I don't even know how far back in time I have traveled sometimes.

I always find it hilarious how hardcore gamers lie to themselves when they are addicted to something. If you think the PS3 version is okay, and like to use retro games to defend this choice, you are a blind man. It really isn't even acceptable imo. Horrid FPS, jaggies on everything in sight, transparencies that will cut you in all versions, weakened animations, hardly any people, shadows even worse than PC, etc. The list only goes on.

And that is fine for people that have nothing but a PS3 though it's always slightly weird to hear some guy with all 50s say he doesn't need a PS4. I mean, hey bud, it looks like this game is the only game you play and you do it for 6 hours a day. I think you should get that PS4!

molnizzle

Just a temporary solution until the real deal is out on PS4 in April. I just figured that I might as well spend my time on a character I'm actually gonna get to keep rather than one that will be wiped in a couple of weeks.

TalonJH

I'm enjoying the beta a lot more than I thought I would. I would argue that It's the best Final Fantasy game in a long time.

Aversion

Banned
Emergency maintenance. (And truly emergency apparently, there was about 15 minutes of warning).

They're hurrying to the store to buy more hamsters to power the servers. Should be back up in ~3 hours.

LOL. NO shit eh. I pay monthly and get 4-5 days of maintenance a month it seems hehe. If this game didn't rock I'd be mad.

teiresias

For crafting it is leves though.

I'm barely satisfied with what I have on PC at 2xSGSSAA and 50-60FPS.

That's funny because I really didn't like the PC version with SGSSAA at all. It seemed to make the game TOO soft to me, almost like everything bled together like a watercolor - maybe I'd set my nvidia profile wrong in Inspector or something, but it was hurting my eyes. I still just inject SMAA and bump up the saturation a bit on the PC using SweetFX - or at least I would if I had an active subscription. Will probably renew when the PS4 Phase-2 beta is done.

Did this quest last night after hearing people struggle to find the fourth... it's even in the quest text that he's "up top".

During open beta at initial release, it felt like the second coming of 'Mankrik's Wife' if you went by the amount of people spamming chat looking for him.

Number45

During open beta at initial release, it felt like the second coming of 'Mankrik's Wife' if you went by the amount of people spamming chat looking for him.
Oh, those memories.

"THE CROSSROADS IS UNDER ATTACK"

Barrens life.

EDIT: Now I feel bad for WoW-ifying the top of the page. :'(

PC & PS3 version, how much there is spam in chat & how fast does moderators silence spammers?
I haven't noticed many at all, but I'm still early. Easy enough to blacklist people as well. :)

ethomaz

Banned
I was thinking a about FFXIV yesterday... I liked the game so if SE fix the small text, connection issues and add trophies I will subscribe to it.

PC & PS3 version, how much there is spam in chat & how fast does moderators silence spammers?

Gil sellers usually spam you as soon as you get into game through /whisper. Other chats get spammed in towns (though I've not noticed it in a while).

They usually clear out RMTers every week (from what I can see on the lodestone) but you'll still be blacklisting some every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom