• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The PS3 client is atrocious, some of the mount animations are literally cut down to like three frames. I don't know how anyone can play it after playing the PC client or the PS4 client beta.

so so so so so glad I popped back in here. I was almost going to do the same thing the guy you quoted did. "mannnnn... I really enjoyed the beta. Maybe I should just download and fire up my PSN copy"

So I should be able to login on April 4th beta, start up a real character, then on April 11th register my PS3 copy and transfer my license to PS4, and continue playing that character, right?

so so so so so glad I popped back in here. I was almost going to do the same thing the guy you quoted did. "mannnnn... I really enjoyed the beta. Maybe I should just download and fire up my PSN copy"

So I should be able to login on April 4th beta, start up a real character, then on April 11th register my PS3 copy and transfer my license to PS4, and continue playing that character, right?

Entertained the notion myself a couple of times... then I actually watched PS3 footage :/

Rixa

Thats the plan for me too. Going to install PS3 verson beforehand (but wont log in to it) inorder to get everything one as fluently as possible.

Thanks for the spam answers.

borghe

Entertained the notion myself a couple of times... then I actually watched PS3 footage :/

yeah, I've never played the PS3 copy. And greatly enjoyed my 6-ish hours in the PS4 beta. Didn't think it would be that big of a difference going from PS4 back to PS3.. looks like that's not the case.

Thats the plan for me too. Going to install PS3 verson beforehand (but wont log in to it) inorder to get everything one as fluently as possible.

Thanks for the spam answers.

per S-E, you have to have logged into the PS3 account at least once to do the transfer.

Rixa

per S-E, you have to have logged into the PS3 account at least once to do the transfer.

Yes, Ill do this just before Iam starting my career on PS4 to save those subscription days, but Iam dowloading patch etc to PS3 few days before actual login day.

PrinceKee

I signed up and made a character last night. My one problem is the text is too small. I even played on my vita with remote play to see if it helped. It's even too small on my Vita even with it a foot away from my face. Is there a way to increase the text size?

I signed up and made a character last night. My one problem is the text is too small. I even played on my vita with remote play to see if it helped. It's even too small on my Vita even with it a foot away from my face. Is there a way to increase the text size?

According to SE, the text size issue will be fixed for either the next beta phase or the next beta build, I can't remember which. But they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

aceface

The PS3 version is playable. I've put in countless hours on it and have gotten my relic on there. I know others in the GAF FC who have completed all the available content for the game on PS3. It looks like a slightly subpar PS3 RPG. Playing for a long time on PC really isn't an option for me so I'd take PS3 over not playing at all. Yes, I bought a PS4 and will be playing that version when the full release comes out. But I think the horribleness of the PS3 version is being overstated here. We're not talking about Superman64 here, it's a perfectly serviceable game.

Stay classy FF14 players

(check chat window)
1800431_10153853743445436_1627495731_n.jpg

teiresias

According to SE, the text size issue will be fixed for either the next beta phase or the next beta build, I can't remember which. But they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

Which is ironic, it's not like this complaint wasn't voiced profusely on the official forums prior to the PS4 beta for those of us that would have liked to play the PC client on our TVs instead of our monitors but couldn't due to the same issue. People have been complaining about it since the game's last beta at the very latest (first phase of beta I was in).

BibiMaghoo

So my PS3 copy arrived today and I'm firing it up to play for a bit before I retire for PS4 version. It's doing an update in game, and on a 35Mbps line, It's downloading at 0.23Mbps.

Is this...normal? It is 4.3Gb :(

borghe

So going back to a post I made earlier in the thread...

I chose Conjurer as my starting class. Can I pick up say Gladiator after level 10, get gladiator up to 30 and CNJ up to 15 and become a Paladin? Or am I stuck with WHM because I chose CNJ as my starter?

SkyOdin

So going back to a post I made earlier in the thread...

I chose Conjurer as my starting class. Can I pick up say Gladiator after level 10, get gladiator up to 30 and CNJ up to 15 and become a Paladin? Or am I stuck with WHM because I chose CNJ as my starter?

You are not forced into a late-game path based on your starting decisions. You are perfectly free to pursue Paladin.

btkadams

i finally put a few hours into this last night and it seemed to really click. i've never played an mmo before this game. i bought the ps3 version a couple months ago but only played it for maybe a half hour.

is it actually fulfilling to play most of this game on your own? is that how it's designed? if not, how does one branch out into playing with other gaffers? at which point in the game should i be doing that? i was having a good time finding stuff on my own last night. i think the whole guild/clan aspect of mmos has been really intimidating for me in the past, which has made me less inclined to play them.

i finally put a few hours into this last night and it seemed to really click. i've never played an mmo before this game. i bought the ps3 version a couple months ago but only played it for maybe a half hour.

is it actually fulfilling to play most of this game on your own? is that how it's designed? if not, how does one branch out into playing with other gaffers? at which point in the game should i be doing that? i was having a good time finding stuff on my own last night. i think the whole guild/clan aspect of mmos has been really intimidating for me in the past, which has made me less inclined to play them.

Most of the main story quests are soloable outside of dungeons, trials and raids where you need to party up to be able to do them.

You can join a GAF Free Company (FFXIV term for Guilds) or a Linkshell (a community of people smaller than a guild) so you can play with people and you can do that pretty much as soon as you want.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
playing the full game on PC, and I miss the massive overpopulation in the early zones from the PS4 beta. Kind of empty in the early areas, with everyone already well on their way to 50.

Gaz_RB

playing the full game on PC, and I miss the massive overpopulation in the early zones from the PS4 beta. Kind of empty in the early areas, with everyone already well on their way to 50.

That's sort of what convinced me to not buy it on PC and just wait for the PS4 release.

Absolutely loving the beta, currently a lvl 16 Lancer. Is there a level cap in the beta? Haven't played a MMO in a long time, probably since Star Wars Galaxies. Will have to pick this up when it releases. They don't have a collector's edition for the PS4 release?

jiggle

You can pretty much do everything there is in the game without making a single friend or joining a guild

Absolutely loving the beta, currently a lvl 16 Lancer. Is there a level cap in the beta? Haven't played a MMO in a long time, probably since Star Wars Galaxies. Will have to pick this up when it releases. They don't have a collector's edition for the PS4 release?
Lv20 cap
SE store is/was selling CE
PS3 CE will also work since you can upgrade it for free

Lv20 cap
SE store is/was selling CE
PS3 CE will also work since you can upgrade it for free
Awesome, thanks for the info. Will buy it off their store, wish it had free shipping but whatevs. My PS3 is busted so that CE is out of the question. I'm assuming I would have to play the game on a PS3 first in order to upgrade to the PS4 version for free.

Finally got access to the Airship. Between the Ul'dah and Limsa main hubs, I'm liking Ul'dah's the most. I think it's the music which I love and the town area looks magnificent. Nice to finally see new places outside of Gridania and The Shroud (did manage to make a venture to a snowy area via the North Shroud). Currently resting in The Quicksand in Ul'dah.

Any idea how close I am to getting the "Fire in the Gloom" quest? I want to tackle that so I can at the very least enter the Tam-Tara dungeon before the beta phase is over

IMBored

Finally got access to the Airship. Between the Ul'dah and Limsa main hubs, I'm liking Ul'dah's the most. I think it's the music which I love and the town area looks magnificent. Nice to finally see new places outside of Gridania and The Shroud (did manage to make a venture to a snowy area via the North Shroud). Currently resting in The Quicksand in Ul'dah.

Any idea how close I am to getting the "Fire in the Gloom" quest? I want to tackle that so I can at the very least enter the Tam-Tara dungeon before the beta phase is over

The Ul'dah music is excelent. You must be very close to getting the sastasha dungeon quest, after that is Tam-Tara.

molnizzle

Well, after about 15 hours of PS4 beta I decided to go ahead and fire up the PS3 copy I had been saving for April.

Oh boy. LOL. It's really bad. Double bad for me as this is the first time I've turned my PS3 on since Nov. 15th. Yikes.

Not unplayable though. It's clearly inferior in just about every way, you can only see other players within like a 5m radius and the framerate often drops to the teens... but it works. Level 10 now on a character I'll get to keep in April.

Added bonus, the lower level zones aren't nearly as populated as they currently are in beta and how they're sure to be in April. I've mostly got the shit to myself. Heh.

i don't know why but today i finally understood how to use the touchpad properly ..and now i love it

Targetting is now quite easy and i love what i'm doing now
Now aside from text-chat , playing feel now 100% adequate.

stang6604

So my PS3 copy arrived today and I'm firing it up to play for a bit before I retire for PS4 version. It's doing an update in game, and on a 35Mbps line, It's downloading at 0.23Mbps.

Is this...normal? It is 4.3Gb :(

thats what i was getting when i updated today. i have 30Mbps. must be something on their end. only took me 80 minutes to download the 11GB game

molnizzle

Awesome, nice to see the apple Bluetooth keyboard works wonderfully with this :)

Replace it with a Logitech Easy-Switch and start living the good life. Stays synced to up to 3 devices at a time, switching at the tap of a button. Mine's synced to my PS4, PS3 and MBP. So good.

Also, PS3 got no boob physics. =(

How is the FFXIV community in general?

I have played 20+ hours and not read a single word in chat yet. I may of turned it off though ... Don't think so but maybe.

People seem to enjoy it all though. Watching 50 people fight inside a Fate event is always entertaining

This may be funny but I'm enjoying the hell out of crafting. The tension of building up HQ item potential, being one success away from creation knowing the whole project will be blown if it fails. Good job SE

aceface

Replace it with a Logitech Easy-Switch and start living the good life. Stays synced to up to 3 devices at a time, switching at the tap of a button. Mine's synced to my PS4, PS3 and MBP. So good.

Also, PS3 got no boob physics. =(

First thing I noticed when I turned on the PS4 version was the added boob jiggle. Oh, Square.

SkyOdin

Well, yeah, I seen that, but nothing I read or seen about in V1 led up to that great battle or whatever.

I'm pretty sure they had a lot of events and plot leading up to it. While there wasn't actually a player-involved battle of Carteneau, near the end of 1.0 there were a lot of events where GM controlled characters interacted with players, as well as changes to the game world to reflect the coming Calamity. Players first begin to notice that something was up when they looked up into the game's sky and saw that one of the moons had started to change color and grow larger.

I'm not familiar with all of the details, but there were story quests and battles that were associated with the coming calamity. Most notably, a final battle against one of the Imperial commanders.

During the final hours of 1.0, apparently there were level 70+ demons invading Ul'dah and insanely powerful imperial soldiers swarming all over Mor Dhona. Apparently it was pretty hectic.

There was a lot of story,quests and cutscenes leading up to the ending of FFXIV 1.0. Introducing the Garlean commander and his ambitions, and the characters fighting against him, including Cid and Louisoix. How the bad guy summons the ancient evil Dalmud using the ancient Meteor magic, not really knowing what it was, and quests to go to the different temples to prepare to summon the 12 gods against it's coming and stuff. Lots of the story in ARR refers to those events and characters.

The Seventh Umbral Era storyline happened over the year that ARR was in development, getting more added to it in each update, in the only time in 1.0 that they actually charged the monthly fee. It was actually used to explain some of the changes they were making for 2.0/ARR, like when they increased the size of all enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom