• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

I guess that the best way to start a new character would to pick the Conjurer class first so you get the basic survival utilities and then play the class you really want to

Qvoth

I guess that the best way to start a new character would to pick the Conjurer class first so you get the basic survival utilities and then play the class you really want to

you can get protect and cure in conjurer in less than 1 hour at the most? you can start as any class you want

Hey guys, how do you cycle through players? Doing some fate as an arcanist and I have to walk up to the tank to target him manually.

I'm pretty sure they had a lot of events and plot leading up to it. While there wasn't actually a player-involved battle of Carteneau, near the end of 1.0 there were a lot of events where GM controlled characters interacted with players, as well as changes to the game world to reflect the coming Calamity. Players first begin to notice that something was up when they looked up into the game's sky and saw that one of the moons had started to change color and grow larger.

I'm not familiar with all of the details, but there were story quests and battles that were associated with the coming calamity. Most notably, a final battle against one of the Imperial commanders.

During the final hours of 1.0, apparently there were level 70+ demons invading Ul'dah and insanely powerful imperial soldiers swarming all over Mor Dhona. Apparently it was pretty hectic.

Oh that's cool. Guess cutscenes don't show that.

There was a lot of story,quests and cutscenes leading up to the ending of FFXIV 1.0. Introducing the Garlean commander and his ambitions, and the characters fighting against him, including Cid and Louisoix. How the bad guy summons the ancient evil Dalmud using the ancient Meteor magic, not really knowing what it was, and quests to go to the different temples to prepare to summon the 12 gods against it's coming and stuff. Lots of the story in ARR refers to those events and characters.

The Seventh Umbral Era storyline happened over the year that ARR was in development, getting more added to it in each update, in the only time in 1.0 that they actually charged the monthly fee. It was actually used to explain some of the changes they were making for 2.0/ARR, like when they increased the size of all enemies

But you never met that old summoner dude, right? And those heroes in the ARR opening. Or even fought in the battle. Do you even meet the leaders?

Pjsprojects

Ok so I'm being sent a registration email that has a code which can be used within one hour.

So why do they keep sending it the next day! Think I'm giving up on this lol.

sal0713

Neo Member
Another good way to lvl up in aleport is by doing the leves. Just get a party together pick up the same leves and you can lvl up pretty fast.

It looks like I'll be heading into the Satasha dungeon as soon as I log back in later today. Made sure to set the home point for the ferry station before exiting for the night just in case things go to shit

Hey guys, how do you cycle through players? Doing some fate as an arcanist and I have to walk up to the tank to target him manually.

Oh that's cool. Guess cutscenes don't show that.

But you never met that old summoner dude, right? And those heroes in the ARR opening. Or even fought in the battle. Do you even meet the leaders?

If you're using a controller I believe the d-pad. You use up/down to cycle between party members and left/right to cycle between enemies.
I'm fairly sure that's right, give it a try.

IMBored

It looks like I'll be heading into the Satasha dungeon as soon as I log back in later today. Made sure to set the home point for the ferry station before exiting for the night just in case things go to shit

There was no need for that. Basically, after you talk to the guy in the dungeon entrance you can use the duty finder anywhere to queue for the dungeon. And believe me, if you're not a healer, you'll want to be doing other things while waiting for it.

Number45

The PS3 version is playable. I've put in countless hours on it and have gotten my relic on there. I know others in the GAF FC who have completed all the available content for the game on PS3. It looks like a slightly subpar PS3 RPG. Playing for a long time on PC really isn't an option for me so I'd take PS3 over not playing at all. Yes, I bought a PS4 and will be playing that version when the full release comes out. But I think the horribleness of the PS3 version is being overstated here. We're not talking about Superman64 here, it's a perfectly serviceable game.
Yup. I have no issue at all switching between PC and PS3 (prefer PS3 because of where it is in the house).

So my PS3 copy arrived today and I'm firing it up to play for a bit before I retire for PS4 version. It's doing an update in game, and on a 35Mbps line, It's downloading at 0.23Mbps.

Is this...normal? It is 4.3Gb :(
My updates were coming down at 2MB/s, so probably just load.

If you're using a controller I believe the d-pad. You use up/down to cycle between party members and left/right to cycle between enemies.
I'm fairly sure that's right, give it a try.
By default, up/down is party members and left/right is everything. You can change weapon drawn left/right to enemies only in the options.

Requiem

Having much more fun with this game than I anticipated. Looking more and more likely that this will be the first MMO that I subscribe to....hope I don't get too sucked in

molnizzle

I really hate how you have to enter your password every time you login, even on console. Really discourages using a strong password. What a pain.

I really hate how you have to enter your password every time you login, even on console. Really discourages using a strong password. What a pain.

A lot of consoles are shared between different users - families, partners etc.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd be pretty pissed if their brother or sister logged into their account and did a load of stuff detrimental to their online identity.

Number45

This is where my ability to remember multiple complex 16 character passwords shines! For the most part I have them in Lastpass, but for those that I can't copy/paste (or that I use often enough) it doesn't take long to have them ingrained in my memory.

Pain in the ass with the OTP though, but I'll live.

BibiMaghoo

My updates were coming down at 2MB/s, so probably just load.

Sadly it was my internet. Still trying to work it out, but it seems if I have so many devices on wirelss, it caps them all at <1Mbps. I wired it up and got much better speeds.

OT, the Ps3 version of the game is much better than I expected. Using remote keyboard and mouse from my Viao makes it pretty awesome also. I have no idea if that will work for PS4, as the app is for PS3. I need to try it out. Anyone else with a Viao should do this for PS3 if their Pc is close by.

what about adding a checkbox like: "Save password?"

Hah, yeah I guess XD

It's a non-issue for me anyway since I hook up a wireless keyboard to my PS3 to play, so typing a password is really, really fine.

And, well if you're going to try to play this game without a keyboard.. good luck to you ;)

aceface

During the "final days" of 1.0 when the sky was red and dalamud was breaking through the atmosphere they actually replaced the music with a very haunting rendition of Answers. Very reminiscent of Meteor in FFVII.

http://youtu.be/sUezOLsrqIg

Wow. Shame I never got to play that stuff. I wonder if Square would ever release an updated version withe the 1.0 story content in ARR style.

MilkBeard

OT, the Ps3 version of the game is much better than I expected. Using remote keyboard and mouse from my Viao makes it pretty awesome also. I have no idea if that will work for PS4, as the app is for PS3. I need to try it out. Anyone else with a Viao should do this for PS3 if their Pc is close by.

wow, didn't know that was possible. I have a Vaio laptop so I might have to check that out. It will make communicating easier anyway.

Fehyd

Banned
Wow. Shame I never got to play that stuff. I wonder if Square would ever release an updated version withe the 1.0 story content in ARR style.

I doubt it'd be released as a separate game, but it would be interesting as a flashback/timetravel quest line in the future. They still have those assets afterall, but everything's built on the new engine now.

BibiMaghoo

wow, didn't know that was possible. I have a Vaio laptop so I might have to check that out. It will make communicating easier anyway.

The app is in the Vaio software, you can grab it from their downloads section. Once activated any key press on the keyboard will type in the text field, and any movement of the mouse brings up a proper mouse cursor on screen. To get back to 'PC mode', just press alt + Ctrl + Backspace.

It's pretty ninja.

Edit: Here you go.

Cmagus

I was just watching a bunch of FF14 V1 cutscenes. Did they never actually got to play up to the calamity part?

Basically we played right up until the end. The servers ended with an all out war which is represented in the final video. Basically as the servers went down and that video played it was pretty amazing. They also did some really cool event where some of the toughest bosses would invade the main cities periodically and GM would show up and spawn all this ridiculous stuff it was pretty cool.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
During the "final days" of 1.0 when the sky was red and dalamud was breaking through the atmosphere they actually replaced the music with a very haunting rendition of Answers. Very reminiscent of Meteor in FFVII.

http://youtu.be/sUezOLsrqIg

Yeah, I remember hearing about this red moon getting bigger in the sky, long before the end event. Then, seeing video's of the end of 1.0, made me a little sad I never bothered to try a bit of 1.0, as that's probably the best way to "end an MMO" that I've seen. Having a story molded around the fact that the game is ending.

SkyOdin

The old sumoner dude? Do you mean Archon Louisoix? He was the guy who handed out the quests for the Primal battles in 1.0. I'm pretty sure most of the player base was pretty familiar with him before the end of 1.0. I think we was well liked by the players, so his death in the End of an Era trailer came as bit of a blow to them.

Which do you mean by heroes in the ARR opening? If you mean the Warrior, Black Mage, and so on, those are just stand-ins for the players. That scene in the ARR opening where the heroes appear in a forest in a flash of light is actually what happens instead of the cart ride if you import a legacy character into ARR. Apparently there are some text changes in some early game scenes to reflect legacy status as well.

I'm fairly sure the players were able to meet the leaders of the city-states by the end of 1.0. I think that some of the youtube cutscene collections are just incomplete. A lot of stuff was added in the later parts of 1.0 to support the Seventh Umbral Era plotline that wasn't well recorded by the internet. I'm still trying to learn more about it as well.

Cmagus

Yeah, I remember hearing about this red moon getting bigger in the sky, long before the end event. Then, seeing video's of the end of 1.0, made me a little sad I never bothered to try a bit of 1.0, as that's probably the best way to "end an MMO" that I've seen. Having a story molded around the fact that the game is ending.

It did here are some screens from the final days I still have

iSmPQQ4s1gKv2.jpg

iboAWPX79Q8LCV.jpg

iYMbyKHeDdmdS.jpg

i8o2IZ8C1duxa.jpg

btkadams

Hah, yeah I guess XD

It's a non-issue for me anyway since I hook up a wireless keyboard to my PS3 to play, so typing a password is really, really fine.

And, well if you're going to try to play this game without a keyboard.. good luck to you ;)

wait, is the controller route not the right path to take on ps4? i have only played a few hours of the beta, but it seemed fine so far. i'd hate to have to use a keyboard tbh.

molnizzle

A lot of consoles are shared between different users - families, partners etc.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd be pretty pissed if their brother or sister logged into their account and did a load of stuff detrimental to their online identity.

That's on them for not requiring a password for their actual PSN login. If I'm logged in to PSN and my PSN account is synced with my S-E account, I shouldn't have to authenticate again in the client.

They should at least give us the OPTION. -_-

wait, is the controller route not the right path to take on ps4? i have only played a few hours of the beta, but it seemed fine so far. i'd hate to have to use a keyboard tbh.

Controller is fine for PLAYING, but you'll need a keyboard for chat. It's basically required for grouping.

And it's not that actual typing the password is inherently bad, it's just a drag to have to look it up in 1Password and manually enter the completely random string of 32 characters every. single. time.

BibiMaghoo

If you are playing in a party with people, you won't need them, use the consoles party chat. On Ps3 this is not an option.

btkadams

Controller is fine for PLAYING, but you'll need a keyboard for chat. It's basically required for grouping.
ahhh i didn't know you could use both at the same time. that's fine then.
If you are playing in a party with people, you won't need them, use the consoles party chat. On Ps3 this is not an option.
i suppose that's true as well. they don't have any voice chat on the ps3 version? man, i'm glad ps4 has party chat.

BibiMaghoo

ahhh i didn't know you could use both at the same time. that's fine then.

i suppose that's true as well. they don't have any voice chat on the ps3 version? man, i'm glad ps4 has party chat.

No version has in game voice chat. PS4 has it's own console level voice chat, PS3 does not sadly.

Most people will probably be on PC though.

You really need a keyboard for this game. IMO.

I'm new to it, only played the PS4 beta and two days of PS3 version, so I'll bow to that. So far though, I've had no need to speak with people outside my party, so PS4 voice chat would suffice for me. I use a keyboard and mouse with PS3 version though.

Lonestar

Already miss the ability to chat on the PS4, while on the PC. I know Ultros GAF has a mumble server, but I haven't bothered to set that up. Teamspeak I have, just not mumble.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Most people will probably be on PC though.

You really need a keyboard for this game. IMO.

really expect this to change with the PS4 release. I would imagine the PS4 users will quickly outnumber the PC users. HOWEVER, obviously PS4 Chat is limited to friends only, and there is no correlation in FFXIV between player and PSN ID.

But yeah, my friends and I use PS4 Chat for DCUO and it is vastly superior to everything else available.

Soi-Fong

playing the full game on PC, and I miss the massive overpopulation in the early zones from the PS4 beta. Kind of empty in the early areas, with everyone already well on their way to 50.

I was thinking of sticking to Ultros, but if they do have a new server, I might just join those.

PatDH

Man.. this game does not want me to try it out. Downloaded the PC beta, logged in & made my guy then spoke to 1 NPC & then maintenance happened. Didn't get a chance to go back on before the beta ended.
Now with the PS4 version ive downloaded it and set up my account but it has been almost a day now with no confirmation code email received.

Going to make a dummy gmail tonight then try making a new account. Good times! Haha

Cmagus

really expect this to change with the PS4 release. I would imagine the PS4 users will quickly outnumber the PC users. HOWEVER, obviously PS4 Chat is limited to friends only, and there is no correlation in FFXIV between player and PSN ID.

But yeah, my friends and I use PS4 Chat for DCUO and it is vastly superior to everything else available.

I'm switching over to the PS4 version when its available it runs and looks better than my current pc. A Keyboard is 100% a must for this game without a doubt you'll be lost without one. Voice chat is handy but not necessary plenty of groups do everything without it so I means its not a huge deal if that doesn't bother you. Plus you can grab a cheap keyboard for like $10-$15 at most major retailers which is good enough for party chat.

molnizzle

Unless you're in a PS4-exclusive guild, you'll still be playing with PC players quite a bit. This game will probably do well on PS4 but the vast majority of the current 1.9 million subscribers are on PC. There's gonna be a large PC contingent any way you slice it.

It's also faster and easier to just reach over to your keyboard rather than inspect a player, memorize the player's PSN ID, switch to XMB and invite to party (hopefully you memorized the PSN ID perfectly), then repeat the whole process again for all other group members. And that's assuming that they all happen to be playing on PS4 in the first place.

Get keyboards y'all. lol

Soi-Fong

Didn't Square announce that they have 1.5 million subscribers?

There is currently more than 5 millions PS4s worldwide and counting.

Pretty sure a decent few of those would be getting this game.

Lonestar

I was thinking of sticking to Ultros, but if they do have a new server, I might just join those.

The hope is, when PS4 XIV is fully released, a large influx of new people will join up, across alot of servers. Hopefully PS4 GAF will go to Ultros. I do need to look up if your character can change servers.

About PS4 Chat: I'd mostly be talking to people I already knew were playing PS4, probably already on my FL. Unless SE puts in some coding to set up party chat in the game, using the PS4's interface, it probably won't have widespread use.

btkadams

fyi, you don't need to be friends with someone to be in a party chat with them. the second point of your boldest sentence makes it so that you would have to know their psn name to add them, but other games will have recently met strangers show up in the recently met section of the ps4's friends list/area. edit: games that have usernames outside of psn (like ff 14 or warframe as molvetica mentions in the post below) don't show up in the recently met section.

molnizzle

fyi, you don't need to be friends with someone to be in a party chat with them. the second point of your boldest sentence makes it so that you would have to know their psn name to add them, but other games will have recently met strangers show up in the recently met section of the ps4's friends list/area.

Not games that use separate account systems outside PSN. Warframe, for example, does not support this.

btkadams

Not games that use separate account systems outside PSN. Warframe, for example, does not support this.
i felt that was implied since i mentioned having to know their psn names to manually add them in the case of this game, since it uses an outside account system. ;P i'll edit to be more clear though.

Soi-Fong

The hope is, when PS4 XIV is fully released, a large influx of new people will join up, across alot of servers. Hopefully PS4 GAF will go to Ultros. I do need to look up if your character can change servers.

About PS4 Chat: I'd mostly be talking to people I already knew were playing PS4, probably already on my FL. Unless SE puts in some coding to set up party chat in the game, using the PS4's interface, it probably won't have widespread use.

I have a level 21 archer on Ultros from the PC version when it launched last year. Even got the CE.

Stopped subscribing soon after because of Uni. Graduating around the time of the PS4 release so will be getting the PS4 version and stick to that.

Even still, it was refreshing to see so many people in the early level areas.

Your character can change servers. You have to pay SE a small amount of money though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
fyi, you don't need to be friends with someone to be in a party chat with them. the second point of your boldest sentence makes it so that you would have to know their psn name to add them, but other games will have recently met strangers show up in the recently met section of the ps4's friends list/area.

only two options for creating a PS4 party (we use it probably every day). Invite only and friend of a friend. Granted I'm not 100% sure if you can invite a PSN ID you aren't friends with... as for recently met.... not sure at all how that will/does work with FFXIV... good point.

ahh yeah... that's what I was wondering. I've actually never checked after a DCUO session if any of those players ended up on my recently played list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom