• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

I have a level 21 archer on Ultros from the PC version when it launched last year. Even got the CE.

Stopped subscribing soon after because of Uni. Graduating around the time of the PS4 release so will be getting the PS4 version and stick to that.

Even still, it was refreshing to see so many people in the early level areas.

Your character can change servers. You have to pay SE a small amount of money though.

It costs $18.00 to switch servers.

btkadams

only two options for creating a PS4 party (we use it probably every day). Invite only and friend of a friend. Granted I'm not 100% sure if you can invite a PSN ID you aren't friends with... as for recently met.... not sure at all how that will/does work with FFXIV... good point.
you can invite strangers to a party, trust me! it was guerilla's initial excuse for not including in-game chat in killzone. they thought it was reasonable for people to go into their recently met and invite random teammembers to a party for chat. i believe you also have the option to type their username, without them being on a list like recently met or friends.

Cmagus

That is not a small amount of money. Damn. Was thinking it would only be 5 bucks or so. Lol

Well the reason it isn't cheap is because they don't want RMT jumping around all the time. I've done a server transfer and paid the fee which is not that cheap but it was super quick at least. I just made sure that I 100% wanted the switch obviously and I am happy I did and had the option to.

The hope is, when PS4 XIV is fully released, a large influx of new people will join up, across alot of servers. Hopefully PS4 GAF will go to Ultros. I do need to look up if your character can change servers.

It will be interesting to see how the servers go because Ultros is already pretty large and when legacy transfers open up Ultros is gonna get slammed even more.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The hope is, when PS4 XIV is fully released, a large influx of new people will join up, across alot of servers. Hopefully PS4 GAF will go to Ultros. I do need to look up if your character can change servers.

I'll be there day 0. SCH for sure but I may try PLD too. The wait is unbearable.

aceface

I think you have to mess with the target filter settings to be able to target non party players. Iirc they are not targetable in the default filter setup. I may be thinking of npcs though.

King_Moc

Banned
damn, $18 to move a character?

Yeah, I'd just start a new character instead, if necessary

I think it's to discourage people from doing it, as too many would fuck economies and harm the communities maybe? It sucks, but i guess i'll do it anyway. It's not worth saving the money, when i'd have to get 5 classes back to 50.

Cmagus

damn, $18 to move a character?

Yeah, I'd just start a new character instead, if necessary

Well I have everything at 50 so I'm not about to start from scratch. Its expensive because like I mentioned if it was like $3 RMT would be jumping around moving gil and stuff around at rapid rates. I don't see the big deal I mean the way I look at it is for one to change servers the one you're on must be pretty bad.

In my case the server was almost dead and getting anything done was damn near impossible not only that people in general just weren't pleasant to play with which was a pretty miserable experience to the point where I almost stopped caring about the game. Since I changed servers the game has been alot of fun and Excalibur has a great community so it was worth every penny.

Carbonox

This beta has sold me on buying the game. Fuck man, what a game. The soundtrack is the best since FFX and it's just a pleasure to play and do things in. Always got a smile on my face when I'm roaming and not many games do that to me, let alone my first ever MMORPG.

Kudos Square-Enix, this is where your talent's been hiding it would seem.

Korezo

Well I have everything at 50 so I'm not about to start from scratch. Its expensive because like I mentioned if it was like $3 RMT would be jumping around moving gil and stuff around at rapid rates. I don't see the big deal I mean the way I look at it is for one to change servers the one you're on must be pretty bad.

In my case the server was almost dead and getting anything done was damn near impossible not only that people in general just weren't pleasant to play with which was a pretty miserable experience to the point where I almost stopped caring about the game. Since I changed servers the game has been alot of fun and Excalibur has a great community so it was worth every penny.

Lol when I played at launch Excalibur was all full of shitty people, the game in general was full of shitty people because quing up 90% of the times there was always a asshole or a bunch of assholes. The community is why I quit this game in a month after launch.

Drame

Finally made it to the cap with my Marauder. Got some duties done and the game runs beautifully in instances. I really like how the game uses the DS4 speaker for the duty finder jingle.

Also, I got my keyboard today, the Microsoft Arc wireless keyboard.

It works great with the PS4 and there is no input lag while typing, which I had had with some keyboards. All in all, it's great. It's small and can be easily hidden in your coffee table or whatever and it's great to type on.

Downsides are: the keys are not backlight and it uses a usb-transmitter. No bluetooth here. If you can find it cheap, I'd recommend it. I paid 19€ for mine at a local store.

Cmagus

Lol when I played at launch Excalibur was all full of shitty people, the game in general was full of shitty people because quing up 90% of the times there was always a asshole or a bunch of assholes. The community is why I quit this game in a month after launch.

Well they offered a free 1 time transfer awhile back so it seems like a lot got shuffled around. In general though the community has been much better and a lot the "assholes" are gone. I find a lot more encounters in the DF have gone a lot smoother.

Finally had my 1st dungeon experience and it was something else. Took a while to find other party members to enter Satasha but at least it wasn't too long (under the avg wait time). The dungeon looked amazing. Also had great music to go along with the atmosphere. There were minor bumps along the way like getting killed and respawning back at the beginning a few times (thank goodness for shortcuts). The Captain pirate was a bit of a pain in the ass as we reached the dungeon boss. There wasn't much trouble in taking out the dungeon boss. Although I'm ashamed to admit that the dungeon boss did kill me so I couldn't reenter the playing field when the final blow was struck ;_;. Nonetheless, I had a blast. Passed on the loot since I didn't need it, gave a player commendation and then left.

Beyond that, I'm a Level 20 Lancer and I completed the Level 20 Lancer Guild quest. I also made a friend earlier today helping them slay an Ixal something for their log. Completed the 2nd Hunting Log for my Lancer (Boar poachers are a fucking pain the in ass). Took part in some other duties in a party Took on a FATE in another party (a light one), but it was too much for us to handle.

What to do next...I'll probably try to level up my archer and conjurer classes. I don't think I'll be entering the Tam-Tara dungeon anytime soon unless I'm extremely lucky. An average wait time of 19 mins doesn't sound like fun

Claneko

This beta has sold me on buying the game. Fuck man, what a game. The soundtrack is the best since FFX and it's just a pleasure to play and do things in. Always got a smile on my face when I'm roaming and not many games do that to me, let alone my first ever MMORPG.

Kudos Square-Enix, this is where your talent's been hiding it would seem.

Absolutely. Been playing this game since August on the PC and it has that feel for me...that old Square feel that I have missed for a long time. I really have a lot of respect for the dev team of this game and Yoshi-P. He should be commended, and also allowed to work and have input on other projects. To me, this dude is keeping the dream alive for old Square fans like myself.

A big part of why this game clicks so much with me is because the locations feel organic and lived in. While finding my way around the world I am rarely looking at a map, because there are so many iconic features in the landscape that I remember. Like that waterfall cave outside Gridania, or the big rock and giant tree to the south of Uldah. Even the tiniest seaside hamlet oozes with atmosphere and charm. Exploring Eorzea in FF XIV is truly a Final Fantasy experience that shouldn't be missed.

Xux

[....]What to do next...I'll probably try to level up my archer and conjurer classes. I don't think I'll be entering the Tam-Tara dungeon anytime soon unless I'm extremely lucky. An average wait time of 19 mins doesn't sound like fun
You can always queue up and switch classes while you wait. You'll fail a battle or field leve if you're doing one and you hit commence but other than that you can just switch back to the class you queued up as and jump right in.
Absolutely. Been playing this game since August on the PC and it has that feel for me...that old Square feel that I have missed for a long time. I really have a lot of respect for the dev team of this game and Yoshi-P. He should be commended, and also allowed to work and have input on other projects. To me, this dude is keeping the dream alive for old Square fans like myself.
He is on that committee they formed a few months ago to ensure the quality of the FF series going forward.

molnizzle

A big part of why this game clicks so much with me is because the locations feel organic and lived in. While finding my way around the world I am rarely looking at a map, because there are so many iconic features in the landscape that I remember. Like that waterfall cave outside Gridania, or the big rock and giant tree to the south of Uldah. Even the tiniest seaside hamlet oozes with atmosphere and charm. Exploring Eorzea in FF XIV is truly a Final Fantasy experience that shouldn't be missed.

See, I feel exactly the opposite. This long after WoW, it blows my mind that devs continue to release MMO's with instanced zones and loading screens between areas. Part of what made WoW so magical was the sense of being in a giant, living world. This just feels like a bunch of connected instances to me. Especially airship travel. Does that really need 3 back-to-back loading screens? Jesus.

Still, game is pretty solid. I like the ability to change classes on the fly. I'll probably play for a good long while since the only other big console MMO (Elder Scrolls) looks like shit.

C'mon Blizz, port WoW to PS4. It's time. @_@

falconbox

Banned
Having a really good time with the beta and was looking forward to the full release. I'm currently a level 16 Conjurer. Then I found out it's a subscription service...

I'll just play as much of the beta as possible I guess. I absolutely refuse to pay a monthly fee just to play a game.

Mikey Jr.

I never understood why companies who are doing a sub MMO not just let people download the game for free. Do they really have to get people to buy a $60 disc and then pay $15 a month?

molnizzle

I never understood why companies who are doing a sub MMO not just let people download the game for free. Do they really have to get people to buy a $60 disc and then pay $15 a month?

Prices drop over time, MSRP for FFXIV is $39.99 now. It's also recently been on sale for as low as $10 on both PS3 and PC.

that's how they get paid for the dev. time. sub. is for future content. or that's what they tell us. it's an old established model and there is no reason to stop with that. but you're in luck if you just got into the game. sales.

You don't understand why companies want to earn more money? :p

FFXIV: ARR cost an incredibly huge amount of money to develop - just the 1.0 game had a rumored budget of $400 million, but for ARR they almost built a whole new MMO from scratch in two years, with over 700 people on the dev team at one point. ARR had 1.5 million people who got the game in its first two months (most games sell the most in their first two months), which at $60 a copy means best case scenario they made $90 million off the game sales. After that, *if* they could manage to hold onto all those people at $15 a month (not an easy task for a non-f2p MMO), that's only $22.5 million per month, so the initial $90 million is very important for not losing the shirts in their backs :) At $22.5 million a month, it would take a year and a half to break even on just the 1.0 dev costs without charging money for the game.

Not to mention the continuing development costs - continuing to make new dungeons, raids, and story cutscenes is not cheap.

Rixa

Luckily I had the opportunity to grab PS3 version from amazon.co.uk ~11€ price and 60 days time card ~23€. Going to upgrade PS3 ->PS4 and use most of the 30 days sub (which come with game) in PS4.

I know its not possible to everyone, but for me its the cheapest way. Here in Finland PS3 version costs ~25€ (and PS4 version +35€), time cards for 60 days are from 25,90€.

Going to do same way as I did with WoW in beta being horde mage. So next beta phase starting with Thaumaturge, which I tried in this beta til lvl 11. I dont want to play higher as everything is going to be wiped.

jiggle

The RMT situation will be sooooooooo bad if this game is free to download

It ended in disaster when they tried to do something like that in FFXI

Darte

have they ever stated why they are giving a free ps4 upgrade for ps3 users? not that i'm complaining

Not directly, but yoshi was quoted saying that PS3 support may be dropped down the line when future updates require upping the minimum specs needed in order to provide more options when developing updates.

I have to say, holy shit do I like this game. Amazingly, the most final fantasy feeling games as of late are have been Final Fantasy 11 and 14, both MMOs.

I just hit the portion where you can begin using the Levemetes. The fun was good before but now it is insanely fun. Battles are getting bigger and more intense. Hell even mining and crafting is enjoyable.

Just gotta say, shocked at how good this is. Love the soundtrack too

Done with the beta! Did all the starting stories and checked out most classes.

Archer and Melee are definitely more fun than casters. Cast time is so brutal, but Arcanist was okay.

I still don't get why it's not F2P. They have implemented so much potential for microtransaction, and are basically just giving it all away. The game looks so great that people would be pouring money over $20 mounts like they would for Blizzard. And the housing... so much money potential.

I'm interested in the story, so I might buy it for a month.

Carbonox

I'm level 16 now and all the quests I'm coming across no longer give items. I guess that's it then? Obviously it's a beta so stuff is limited but just wanted to confirm. I am a Gladiator with the complete Bronze armor set so I guess this is the best I can get in the beta?

That's exactly what I thought.

Looked like Darth Vader coming down that ship.

I had the same thought. Guy sounded like him big time. :lol Love the designs of those characters. I WANT THEIR ARMORS.

Dunlop

It's under character settings I believe.

I could not find it.

The miniscule text was bad, but this was a dealbreaker. I literally cannot play without it inverted lol

edit: Don't have time to launch before work but for you are right:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/ps3/manual/
se the right analog stick to control the camera. By holding down L1, you can zoom the camera in and out.
* The direction of camera rotation can be changed in the Character Configuration menu.

IMBored

I'm level 16 now and all the quests I'm coming across no longer give items. I guess that's it then? Obviously it's a beta so stuff is limited but just wanted to confirm. I am a Gladiator with the complete Bronze armor set so I guess this is the best I can get in the beta?

I had to buy a decent lv20 equipment for my archer, but doing dungeons might give you aether equip that's better than normal ones.

I need some info on upgrading. Does the PS3 CE edition comes with 30 days sub? I saw a version only 10€ more expensive than it would be buying the regular one locally. Also, I assume the sub cards are not region specifics, what's a good place to get them?

Carbonox

I had to buy a decent lv20 equipment for my archer, but doing dungeons might give you aether equip that's better than normal ones.

I need some info on upgrading. Does the PS3 CE edition comes with 30 days sub? I saw a version only 10€ more expensive than it would be buying the regular one locally. Also, I assume the sub cards are not region specifics, what's a good place to get them?

Nice, I tried to do my first dungeon but it took forever for the required people to turn up so I just left and went off to do something else.

Speaking of subs, I see on Amazon that there are time cards you can buy to boost your subscription on PC. Are there equivalents on PS3/4? I don't want to use my card if I don't have to where subscribing is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom