• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korezo

Nice, I tried to do my first dungeon but it took forever for the required people to turn up so I just left and went off to do something else.

Speaking of subs, I see on Amazon that there are time cards you can buy to boost your subscription on PC. Are there equivalents on PS3/4? I don't want to use my card if I don't have to where subscribing is concerned.

You should be able to use the time cards since they are all the same service.

aceface

I had the same thought. Guy sounded like him big time. :lol Love the designs of those characters. I WANT THEIR ARMORS.

You guys never play FFXII? The armor of the bad guys is copied from the judges in that game. Still crossing my fingers for an FFXII HD.....

Blizzje

Is there some kind of tool available to see how the framerate in the PS4 version holds up? I'm guessing it hits 50-60 most of the time with some dips to 30, but I would like to see a frame rate test. Is there a relatively easy way to do this?

Z3M0G

I can't wait until I can play my main character on PS4 for remote play alone... I didn't realize how much I'd appreciate that feature. I can sneak in so much more game time with that.

teiresias

So I got my beta character up to Sastasha. I don't really feel like dealing with the DF right now, so actually I think I'm going to start another character and start the game over in Ul'Dah, that way I'll have been through each city's opening story (the two I didn't do on my main in the beta) - I knew this beta was good for something.

Afterwards I'll go back to my existing character from PC launch when the beta is over.

I wish I could get remote play working from outside my home network so I could play when I'm away from home, but oh well.

IMBored

You guys never play FFXII? The armor of the bad guys is copied from the judges in that game. Still crossing my fingers for an FFXII HD.....

The general Judges look is the same for all games of the "Ivalice Alliance".
What I meant was that whole scene, with the ship landing, the Honor guard, even the music, made think of
Start wars

Tam Tara Dungeon is up next for me.

If you guys need a healer add me!!

PSN: Asane
LV 20 Conjurer

Everyone needs healers :)

Eyerox

I'm level 16 now and all the quests I'm coming across no longer give items. I guess that's it then? Obviously it's a beta so stuff is limited but just wanted to confirm. I am a Gladiator with the complete Bronze armor set so I guess this is the best I can get in the beta?

I had the same thought. Guy sounded like him big time. :lol Love the designs of those characters. I WANT THEIR ARMORS.

Use this app to look for the best armor for your level.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/special/libraeorzea/

Edit: or this https://xivdb.com/

I can't wait until I can play my main character on PS4 for remote play alone... I didn't realize how much I'd appreciate that feature. I can sneak in so much more game time with that.

As long as they fix the text size to accomodate the vita's smaller screen. It's unreadable as of now.... like seriously, that's not an exaggeration

Requiem

I'm realizing more and more that this is the perfect RPG for me.

Final Fantasy + practically endless story = exactly what I've always wanted

Grimsen

Finally decided on the type of character I want to make. It was between Cat Dude and Highlander Lady. Gonna go with Highlander.

Going to aim for Paladin first, then Bard and Black Mage.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

yesssss

thank you based yoshi-p

I find it relaxing to stream this watching others play while I'm on my laptop. Bless the soundtrack.

this is the game that finally made me "get" twitch

super relaxing to stream a game while i do other stuff

Currently a level 8 and really enjoying it, but I'll be damned if I still haven't figured out how to use the maps correctly. I want to keep playing, and yet I know it's all for naught.

Fehyd

Banned

The great thing about MMO's is that if they end up being something you can stick with over a longer length of time, you basically experience the story as its written.

You can look back at the game world and realize that your character has effectively "lived" in it. Things have changed, places changed, characters and events took place that influenced the setting. Its part of why its so exciting at times to get into a good MMO at the start, because you're going to experience a lot of things as the game grows and story progresses.

satori

Sorry if this has been posted before but where is the cheapest place I can get Final Fantasy XIV for the ps3?

Planning to do the upgrade once it is out for the ps4.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sorry if this has been posted before but where is the cheapest place I can get Final Fantasy XIV for the ps3?

Planning to do the upgrade once it is out for the ps4.

so far newegg for $25.

I got my CE from PSN during the holidays for $15. Don't hurt me.

Just finished Tam-Tara. The party I was in was more efficient than the party during Satasha. We only died once before the dungeon boss. Then the dungeon boss wailed on us a couple of times. That fucker kept going after our healer. We was close once with only one party member left standing but he was taken out. Unlike Satasha, I paid attention to the Limit Break meter and made sure to use it once it was ready. And thankfully, we were all in one piece when the boss finally went down. I could have went back in since there was another person looking for people to do the dungeon once I left but after such an accomplishment, I think my Lancer could use the rest.

With Tam-Tara out of the way, I can go back to leveling up as a Conjurer

Soi-Fong

Just did Tam Tara and Copperbell Mine.

Tam Tara was incredible. Well except our turd DPS thaumaturge that kept on going ahead and getting all the aggro trying to get all the loot.

Guy died twice because i chose not to heal him telling him to stay with our party but he wouldbt listen.

Finally he died a third time brcause i chose not to heal him and he got pissed off and chose to leave us.

Suffice to say, myself (healer), our tank and one other DPS lancer were able to complete the dungeon including the boss fight with just three of us fighting.

molnizzle

Just did the first dungeon as GLA. Was pretty stressful as it was my first time tanking in any MMO, and on a controller to boot. I guess I did okay though because the other guys all gave me commendation at the end.

Stressful though. Targeting leaves a lot to be desired on a controller. I know that you can set up filters for the d-pad, but who uses the d-pad? I want to just tap X and cycle through targets as if I was pressing "tab" on a keyboard. I kept targeting my other party members though, which is maddening when I'm trying to shift target to get aggro off the healer.

borghe

IMHO using solely a controller, DCUO got targeting completely right. Funny thing is when I first started DCUO, I wanted FFXIV's targeting verbatim. Now having put decent time into both... yeah, DCUO got it completely right, and I hope FFXIV changes to that down the road in some fashion.

Though ultimately the best way to play FFXIV is with mouse and keyboard.

As a controller tip, if you want to QUICKLY change targets that are not very close to each other, I've found it faster to just hit O to deselect your current target, aim toward your desired target which will hopefully get you either the right target or one right next to it, and if you didn't get the one you wanted then hopefully it's just a tap or two of the d-pad either way.

satori

so far newegg for $25.

I got my CE from PSN during the holidays for $15. Don't hurt me.

Hurt? nah man that's awesome. My fault for not jumping on that deal anyways. But between my friends impressions, and my short time with the beta on the PC. I am definitely jumping into this MMO. I might end up getting it for the PC and PS4. The remote play allure is too strong in this one for me to resist....

borghe

healing is..... healing.

if you mean boring as in you won't be doing anything.. no way in hell.

if you mean boring by "reacting to a number of situations in really only a few varieties of ways", then yeah, it's boring. Healing in most games comes down to top off heal, group heal, "oh shit he's dead. oh wait no he's not" heal, or alternate heal (bubble, penance/dmg heal, etc)

healers often have a fair amount of utility.. but your bread and butter will land usually on about 3-5 abilities throughout the majority of the fight.

and this is coming from someone who has healed:

EQ
COH
WOW
DCUO
SWG
SWTOR

and so far lightly in this game.

Kuro

I think I found Michael Cera
ibr2FU8xUcUTXX.jpg

SkyOdin

I have decided, this will be the first MMO I will try a healer with!

I hope it ain't boring......

In the early stages of the game, it is pretty easy and almost boring job. In the endgame, it is probably the single most stressful role in the party. Many of the harder fights in the game require the healers to getting their heals off with tricky timing, while dodging large numbers of AoEs alongside the DPS.

Kuro

In the early stages of the game, it is pretty easy and almost boring job. In the endgame, it is probably the single most stressful role in the party. Many of the harder fights in the game require the healers to getting their heals off with tricky timing, while dodging large numbers of AoEs alongside the DPS.

Yeah if you're gonna heal on PS4 you absolutely need to go KB+M

zulfate

Got this on steam last week for $15 bucks and wow i love it. I tried out the ps4 to look around and it also looks nice. Im playing a paladin and strictly controller and i fucking love it. I love how "heavy" my character feels. I recommend holding down R2 or L2 plus tapping R1/L1 to cycle between enemies.

On paper everything about it is terrible but man the execution is superb lol.

nubbe

Being a tank is fun, it takes literally 1 second to get a Duty group.. literally

Being an archer it can take over 20 minutes for a duty group... literally

teiresias

Stressful though. Targeting leaves a lot to be desired on a controller. I know that you can set up filters for the d-pad, but who uses the d-pad? I want to just tap X and cycle through targets as if I was pressing "tab" on a keyboard. I kept targeting my other party members though, which is maddening when I'm trying to shift target to get aggro off the healer.

Hold R2 (to activate the crossbar) and hit R1 and L1 to cycle through targets. It's just like tab targeting and easier in dungeons than in the field I'd imagine with less mobs in the immediate vicinity. I also thought you could use the D-pad up and down to cycle through the current mobs in your enmity list, but I might be wrong on that. If so that's useful as a tank once you've grabbed everything, then switch to the bumper targeting to pick up new adds.

Hold R2 (to activate the crossbar) and hit R1 and L1 to cycle through targets. It's just like tab targeting and waiter in dungeons than in the girls is imagine with less mobs in the immediate vicinity. I also thought you could use the D-pad up and down to cycle through the current mobs in your enmity list, but I might be wrong on that. If so that's useful as a tank once you've grabbed everything, then switch to the bumper targeting to pick up new adds.

Did you have a stroke mid-sentence here, or am I missing something?

:p

teiresias

Did you have a stroke mid-sentence here, or am I missing something?

:p

Haha. Stupid phone keyboard and I didn't notice. I was saying using the bumper targeting is probably easier in the dungeons than in the field due to the generally smaller amount of jobs in the immediate vicinity while in a dungeon.

molnizzle

Haha. Stupid phone keyboard and I didn't notice. I was saying using the bumper targeting is probably easier in the dungeons than in the field due to the generally smaller amount of jobs in the immediate vicinity while in a dungeon.

Excellent, didn't know about R2+L1 targeting. I'll definitely give that a whirl.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally have some time to sit here and use the Duty Finder to play with some people. I really like the missions so far and I love being a tank. I'm still getting it down...the last time I played a tank in an MMO was a paladin in EQOA lol. So it has been a while. I was awesome at it in that game but always played a mage in everything else since.

Soi-Fong

God Lord Of The Inferno is tough...

Our DPS bailed so we all had to abandon duty. I tried to get back in and I did, but it brought me to Tam Tara instead. Pretty sure that was a glitch.

SkyOdin

Yeah if you're gonna heal on PS4 you absolutely need to go KB+M

Huh? My brother can heal up through Siren and Titan HM just fine with a PS3 controller. Of all the three roles, healer has the easiest time with the controller, since you can just use the d=pad to target party members. As a healer, you don't need to pick out random targets from a large mass unless you are healing a FATE, and those are mostly done in large parties anyways.

Now tanking has some need for rapid targeting of enemies in a chaotic situation, so it benefits from a KB+M control scheme, but I can't think of any advantage KB+M has over controller for healer.

Grinchy

Banned
It seems like it takes a long time to get Sastasha started. I've been waiting on the Duty Finder for a while.

edit- 25 mins in and not a single other person has joined :( (I'm a tank)

So I just finished the initial quest for the AG and the first for the Thaumaturge's Guild.

...where do I go from here? I'm so lost.

I've never played a FF game of any sort, FWIW.

Thanks in advance for any help. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom