• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOdin

So I just finished the initial quest for the AG and the first for the Thaumaturge's Guild.

...where do I go from here? I'm so lost.

I've never played a FF game of any sort, FWIW.

Thanks in advance for any help. :p

Best thing to do is just do every quest you can see until you get a feel for where everything is. That should be enough to get you up in level and unlock more quests. The game does a pretty good job of guiding you just by following the main quest chains.

BTW, this is more of a general suggestion to eveyone, but do not disable the active help windows. Especially when you get out of Beta and into the main game. Those things provide useful explanations of every feature in the game, up through how loot works in endgame raiding. There are a lot of little mechanics in the game I wouldn't understand without them, such as obscure things like Guildleve linking.

Grinchy

Banned
I was looking through some pics I had taken and I remembered I had come across a celebrity playing the beta

1962240_14237162612085kf7j.jpg

alterno69

Banned
Man this game, i had only,played for a couple of hours tops before today, i was a level 3 Conjurer. I had no clue what i was doing and i wasn't enjoying it at all. Decided to try it again today, i'm now Level 11, i finally got a better idea what the hell i'm doing amd i'm habing a blast. This is my first MMO, i've tried a coulle others casually but this seems to be the game that will actually take my time and money come april.

This is digital crack.

molnizzle

lol I saw a Layne Staley yesterday and gave him a salute.

Reminds me of my badass Tauren Shaman named "Barackobama." Created as an alt back in 2007 when I saw his name mentioned as a contender for the Democratic primary. Didn't think anything of it.

That worked out excellently. =)

suzu

Whoever said you needed a KB and mouse for anything in this game is wrong. There are plenty of players who are in endgame right now doing just fine playing with a controller.

God Lord Of The Inferno is tough...

Our DPS bailed so we all had to abandon duty. I tried to get back in and I did, but it brought me to Tam Tara instead. Pretty sure that was a glitch.

You might've forgotten to uncheck Tam Tara before you queued for another duty.

Yopis

It seems like it takes a long time to get Sastasha started. I've been waiting on the Duty Finder for a while.

edit- 25 mins in and not a single other person has joined :( (I'm a tank)

Hmm thats weird few months ago when I played tanks using duty finder had things easy.

aceface

Don't know if this has been posted but if you transfer from PS3 you get early access to the PS4 version...since it's also cheaper in most cases no real reason to not go with PS3 if you have one available IMO.

Since character data such as levels, earned items, and story progression is saved server-side, this will transfer automatically when the player first signs into FF14 on the PS4. However, player-created data such as macros and hotbar data currently cannot be transferred. Square Enix is working with Sony to eventually allow players to access this data through the PlayStation Network servers.

Is there an incentive for upgrading? Indeed - transferred players will gain access to FF14 on April 11, days before the official launch date of April 14.

Once you've transferred to the PS4 version, there's no going back; your old PS3 copy will be deactivated. If you want to play on two consoles, you'll need to buy the game for each one.

Players who don't already own the game on PS3 will need to purchase a copy for PS4. Transfers between PC and console versions are not permitted.

link

molnizzle

So, some shit just went down. I have come to learn 3 new tidbits of FFXIV information that I was not aware of previously. This information has demonstrably changed my life for the better. My life.

Fact #1: Tapping L1/R1 while holding down L2/R2 cycles through enemy targets exactly like the "tab" button on a keyboard. OMG. Just what I needed. (thanks teiresias)

Fact #2: There are Target Back/Target Forward toggles that can be assigned to your hotbar. This let's me hold down both R2 and L2 to pull up my "secret" hotbar and then cycle through a large group of enemies and quickly assign them overhead marks so that every party member knows the exact order to burn down the mobs.

Fact #3 and most wondrous of all: Based Cerny... praise be onto thee, for thy hand hath provided me the ability to play FFXIV without fear of developing stress fractures in my trigger fingers. The Dual Shock 4 is fully functional with FFXIV on PS3.

bZyqqU1.gif

Noi

Fact #3 and most wondrous of all: Based Cerny... praise be onto thee, for thy hand hath provided me the ability to play FFXIV without fear of developing stress fractures in my trigger fingers. The Dual Shock 4 is fully functional with FFXIV on PS3.

I do this since the DS4 was out, but do keep in mind that:

A. You can only use it as a wired USB controller, which means no wireless.

B. Because of A, sometimes the wire will get a little loose and disconnect, which tends to happen a lot to me. I've had a situation where I'm running forward to some mobs, the controller disconnects and my character just plunges in face first cause they keep walking forward.

C. No touchpad. You gotta use the share button as a pseudo-select to toggle between on-screen stuff, which actually threw me off when playing the PS4 beta cause I kept going to the share screen instead.

If you dont't mind those things, enjoy using the superior controller on PS3!

DrkSage

It took me 3 days to level up my LNC to level 20. First 16 levels were doing quest, last 4 levels were spammed lvl 15 levelmete duties. I really wanted the 1st phase to carry over to retail version :/ seems like ill have to do the same strategy on phase 2 if I want a level 20 character on the retail version.

molnizzle

I do this since the DS4 was out, but do keep in mind that:

A. You can only use it as a wired USB controller, which means no wireless.

B. Because of A, sometimes the wire will get a little loose and disconnect, which tends to happen a lot to me. I've had a situation where I'm running forward to some mobs, the controller disconnects and my character just plunges in face first cause they keep walking forward.

C. No touchpad. You gotta use the share button as a pseudo-select to toggle between on-screen stuff, which actually threw me off when playing the PS4 beta cause I kept going to the share screen instead.

If you dont't mind those things, enjoy using the superior controller on PS3!

Non-issues all around. I have a 5m USB extension cable connecting the DS4 to my PS3. Minimal risk of coming unplugged. Everything else is perfectly acceptable considering that I'll only have to make do for about another month.

sooooo good

BibiMaghoo

I found a bigger problem when using the DS4 on PS3, to be that you cannot quit the game lol.

No PS button is mighty inconvenient when you don't have a DS3 to hand :D

nubbe

I'm using a wireless 360 pad with my PC and the triggers feel heavy after a few hours, they are rather hard now I notice :p
PC driver, plz Sony

Raoh

So I think I am going to go ahead and take the plunge and buy FFXIV for PC and PS3 and pre-order for PS4 if that's an option.

My only concerns are what happens when EQNext comes out? Can I juggle two mmo's?

Questions:

I bought the original FFXIV Collectors Edition so I have the Helm of Light and a few other freebies that I was able to pick up on FFXIV PS4 Beta. Will these items carry over to the PS4 release and my PS3 purchase of the game? Basically is there any reason to bother with CE's of PS3 and PS4?

Are there any casual players on Gaf? Meaning I can play for a week straight for hours at a time but at any given time I may have to stop and play here and there but would like to be a part of a linkshell that still helps out those in need that are lower level. One of the most frustrating parts I had to deal with in FFXI.

I may go buy a psn card and buy this today for PS3.

BibiMaghoo

So I think I am going to go ahead and take the plunge and buy FFXIV for PC and PS3 and pre-order for PS4 if that's an option.

If you buy PS3 and play it once, you can have PS4 version of the game for free. This is only not a sound option if you plan on playing both PS3 and PS4 versions once the latter is out, in which case you will need to buy both.

I bought the original FFXIV Collectors Edition so I have the Helm of Light and a few other freebies that I was able to pick up on FFXIV PS4 Beta. Will these items carry over to the PS4 release and my PS3 purchase of the game? Basically is there any reason to bother with CE's of PS3 and PS4?

Collector's edition items will carry over and you'll get the PS4 CE items as well.

Ardenyal

So, some shit just went down. I have come to learn 3 new tidbits of FFXIV information that I was not aware of previously. This information has demonstrably changed my life for the better. My life.

Fact #1: Tapping L1/R1 while holding down L2/R2 cycles through enemy targets exactly like the "tab" button on a keyboard. OMG. Just what I needed. (thanks teiresias)

Fact #2: There are Target Back/Target Forward toggles that can be assigned to your hotbar. This let's me hold down both R2 and L2 to pull up my "secret" hotbar and then cycle through a large group of enemies and quickly assign them overhead marks so that every party members knows the exact order to burn down the mobs.

Wish I had known these earlier...

More at:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/ps3/manual/
Cycle Up Through Enmity List L1+↑
Cycle Down Through Enmity List L1+↓
etc.

Raoh

If you buy PS3 and play it once, you can have PS4 version of the game for free. This is only not a sound option if you plan on playing both PS3 and PS4 versions once the latter is out, in which case you will need to buy both.

So I buy PS3 version, activate on PS4 for free and then the PS3 version becomes invalid? That sucks.

I intend to play on both, PS4 is in the living room and PC/PS3 is in the office. I'd like to play in the office from time to time when the wife is in the living room or do light farming/etc while in the office.

So my best option is to buy each separately I guess. Buy PS3 (maybe PC) now, and buy PS4 version regardless to play on each platform when needed.

Collector's edition items will carry over and you'll get the PS4 CE items as well.

Awesome, thanks.

BibiMaghoo

So I buy PS3 version, activate on PS4 for free and then the PS3 version becomes invalid? That sucks.

I intend to play on both, PS4 is in the living room and PC/PS3 is in the office. I'd like to play in the office from time to time when the wife is in the living room or do light farming/etc while in the office.

So my best option is to buy each separately I guess. Buy PS3 (maybe PC) now, and buy PS4 version regardless to play on each platform when needed..

If you want to play both, you will need to own both. The PS3 > Ps4 transfer is of the games key. When you install the Ps3 copy, you register the key, the disc is useless without it. If you free upgrade to PS4, it transfers the key, so the PS3 version becomes unplayable.

So yes, sadly, you need to buy a PS4 copy...which in UK land are preordering at £49.99...hence why I went Ps3 upgrade route.

Raoh

If you want to play both, you will need to own both. The PS3 > Ps4 transfer is of the games key. When you install the Ps3 copy, you register the key, the disc is useless without it. If you free upgrade to PS4, it transfers the key, so the PS3 version becomes unplayable.

So yes, sadly, you need to buy a PS4 copy...which in UK land are preordering at £49.99...hence why I went Ps3 upgrade route.

Got it, thanks. I guess its no different than the FFXI setup.

Now the problem is finding it. I have over $300 in gamestop credit but my local gamestop doesn't have it or any PSN cards in store and the online codes are unavailable, I would have to drive a bit further out.

Tillbo

Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy the PS3 version, play it now then upgrade it to PS4 and then buy another PS3 version to use on the PS3?

In the UK at least it's cheaper to buy two PS3 versions (including a Collectors edition) than to buy it just for the PS4.

BibiMaghoo

Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy the PS3 version, play it now then upgrade it to PS4 and then buy another PS3 version to use on the PS3?

In the UK at least it's cheaper to buy two PS3 versions (including a Collectors edition) than to buy it just for the PS4.

Yes, that is legit and will work.

i got both a kitty and a puppy and i used them but neither of them follow me

what gives

Using the minion in your inventory gives you access to summoning it in the Actions and Traits menu, in the Minions tab.

This confused the hell out of me my very first time getting a minion too when the game launched.

SkyOdin

What do I have to do to get access to a mount in the beta?
Same as in the main game, you need to beat Ifrit, then join a Grand Company. You can get a mount then, but you need to grind up 2000 or so company seals to buy it first. These can be acquired from FATEs, the GC hunting log, and GC guildleves. I am not sure if Halatali is in the PS4 Beta, but running through it once will get you most of the way there, thanks to the hunting log entries hiding in that dungeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom