• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rising_Hei

gamepad is much better in this game imo, more mobility and can do many things at once.
It's better for your hands' health, too.

I have been playing with gamepad since the beginning, i have done everything in game and the reaction time i have can't be surpassed... you just need to get used to it and figure out how the targeting system works <3

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
dilNmwU.jpg

This. Changes. Everything.

ooh geez waaaaaaaat

Z3M0G

Huh? My brother can heal up through Siren and Titan HM just fine with a PS3 controller. Of all the three roles, healer has the easiest time with the controller, since you can just use the d=pad to target party members. As a healer, you don't need to pick out random targets from a large mass unless you are healing a FATE, and those are mostly done in large parties anyways.

Now tanking has some need for rapid targeting of enemies in a chaotic situation, so it benefits from a KB+M control scheme, but I can't think of any advantage KB+M has over controller for healer.

I tank with controller. L2/R2+L1 cycles through enemies only.

styl3s

Just because i think i'll enjoy it much more with a stable framerate and for the art to really shine on the ps4. I did some boss story quest and it was like 15-20 fps with several enemies and NPCs.

I'm thinking of stopping playing the ps3 version because there's not much to play on the ps4 and it'll be kind of a bummer if i do most of the questing in FF14 before it comes out on the ps4.
And just like that my interest went to 0 in the PS4 version.

MMO's are one of very few games i prefer 60fps in, especially during boss/raids.

All this late game talk scares me a bit, what exactly happens at higher levels, I have never played an MMO before. The closest I have come to team tactics are the guildevels and those are really simple.

Anyway I have tried most every class, I am still wondering what I should start as. I kind of want to be a tank just so that joining parties is easier. Marauder seems to be the more exciting class to play as over warrior.

For damage dealers lancer is cool. I recently tried pugilist and it seems awesome. I like having things to do as I fight, the more input I have the better and this has different stances and lots of moving around the enemies. So is this class as fun as it seems?

For magic the damage dealing one, starts with a t seems pretty cool. Looks like that is the one you pick of you want to be unleashing gigantic area spells.

So I am still on the fence but now I have a better idea of how the classes play but I have no clue how they fare in later stages of the game.

RK9039

All this late game talk scares me a bit, what exactly happens at higher levels, I have never played an MMO before. The closest I have come to team tactics are the guildevels and those are really simple.

Anyway I have tried most every class, I am still wondering what I should start as. I kind of want to be a tank just so that joining parties is easier. Marauder seems to be the more exciting class to play as over warrior.

For damage dealers lancer is cool. I recently tried pugilist and it seems awesome. I like having things to do as I fight, the more input I have the better and this has different stances and lots of moving around the enemies. So is this class as fun as it seems?

For magic the damage dealing one, starts with a t seems pretty cool. Looks like that is the one you pick of you want to be unleashing gigantic area spells.

So I am still on the fence but now I have a better idea of how the classes play but I have no clue how they fare in later stages of the game.

Marauder and Warrior are pretty much the same class (Marauder level 30 --> Warrior), Warrior is more specialized for tanking and has a pretty neat system based on Wrath. I found these two a lot more enjoyable than playing Gladiator/Paladin.

Both the melee DPS classes (Dragoon and Monk) are really fun to play, I personally think they have the best animations in the game. And they're usually the ones that use the Limit Break during boss fights because of their single DPS attack.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is the disc required to be in the disc drive on the ps3 in order to play the game?

No. Not on any platform. The disc is really just a quick way to load the base game data... but you could always just download it anyway.

Darknight

Tried to make an account through the beta app on ps4...bad idea. Never got a confirmation while doing the initial set up. So apparently that expires 1 hour. So now I cant use the same name that I wanted on a new account because it says its being used. I tried to "recover" the account on my PC but its giving my lots of errors. After a while it locked my out trying.

Fuck SE account management site.

SkyOdin

So what Grand Company do I want to join?

There is very little difference other than aesthetic differences and which city-state you prefer. The gear they offer is only slightly different from each other. Probably the difference between them that is most visible is what chocobo barding they offer. So do want your GC gear and chocobo barding to be Red, Yellow, or Black in color?

There is very little difference other than aesthetic differences and which city-state you prefer. The gear they offer is only slightly different from each other. Probably the difference between them that is most visible is what chocobo barding they offer. So do want your GC gear and chocobo barding to be Red, Yellow, or Black in color?

Green? :(

molnizzle

Could it potentially matter depending on your FC? The whole system is really confusing.

aceface

Any gaffer on Beta world 5 right now want to do Satasha? Just opened it. Name is Chiyo Mihama send me a tell if interested.

Man this game, i had only,played for a couple of hours tops before today, i was a level 3 Conjurer. I had no clue what i was doing and i wasn't enjoying it at all. Decided to try it again today, i'm now Level 11, i finally got a better idea what the hell i'm doing amd i'm habing a blast. This is my first MMO, i've tried a coulle others casually but this seems to be the game that will actually take my time and money come april.

This is digital crack.

yup, same for me. never beaten an mmo before, i just get bored at level 15 usually, but this game has hooked me and i am on my 5th paid month.

Kirye

Could it potentially matter depending on your FC? The whole system is really confusing.

It shouldn't as far as this current patch. I heard rumors of GC vs GC vs GC PVP down the road, but as far as it stands now a FC can have a combination of all the GCs with no issue.

Some Nobody

Definitely red, but man I'm tired of that city. This also reminds me I'm not paid up anymore, so I should probably get around to doing that at some point. >_<

SkyOdin

Order of the Twin Adder is mostly yellow, but it does have green as a secondary color. Not on the Chocobo barding, I'm sad to say.

Which GC your FC is affiliated with doesn't affect your personal choice of GC in the slightest. Unless you want everyone in your FC to be color co-ordinated when riding their chocobos or something. As far as I can tell, your FC's GC affiliation only affects which city you go to to buy FC actions.

Squire

Banned
Started playing this today, now that I got some time for it.

I like it so far. The art and music are fantastic and the graphics are off the chart. I'm playing a Wildwood Elezen Archer. The gameplay feels pretty standard so far, though I did just start. I wish the tutorial was a bit more and I wish they hadn't just copy-pasted the PC UI to PS4. The game does feel kinda unweildly.

Any tips for a newbie?

Edit: Holy shit @ the text size. And you can't even increase the font size for NPC dialogue? Really??? SE please. Seriously, I beg you.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
How do you target people in fates to heal them? On keyboard and mouse it's easy but on the controller I can't figure it out.

aceface

Edit: Holy shit @ the text size. And you can't even increase the font size for NPC dialogue? Really??? SE please. Seriously, I beg you.

WHY We still cant increase UI text size? Makes it unplayable on TV... SE, please.

You can increase the size of any current window that's up by pressing R3, the right stick. Tap the right side of the touchpad to cycle to that window and press R3 to enlarge it. For some stuff (minimap, duty list, hotbars, hp, etc) you have to go into HUD settings to enlarge them. Under HUD settings just pick the element you want to make bigger and press R3 to enlarge it. You can also move stuff around here.

For NPC dialouge, go into virtual mouse mode by pressing R1 + L3 (or connect a mouse, I suppose...touchpad does not work for this though) and drag the top right corner of the log window (in the bottom left of the screen) to make it bigger. Then under log window settings (under character configuration I believe) set the font size to 20 and under "general" select NPC dialouge. Now you'll able to read the NPC dialogue at a bigger size in the log window.

This shouldn't be an issue after Monday though as they've said they are fixing the text size for release.

Soi-Fong

So.. I'm hearing it cheaper to get the PS3 ver and you essentially upgrade to the PS4 ver for free.
How does this work exactly.

Just wondering since I have the PC CE that I bought at launch and want to continue with my character on the PS4.

molnizzle

So.. I'm hearing it cheaper to get the PS3 ver and you essentially upgrade to the PS4 ver for free.
How does this work exactly.

Just wondering since I have the PC CE that I bought at launch and want to continue with my character on the PS4.

You can "upgrade" your PC copy to PS4 for free too.

Cmagus

You can "upgrade" your PC copy to PS4 for free too.

You can upgrade your PS3 copy to PS4 it won't work with PC. If you own console and a PC copy they can be used together but you can't upgrade PC to PS4. If you have the PC CE tied to your account and get the PS4 version you will get the bonus items like the fat chocobo.

Soi-Fong

You can upgrade your PS3 copy to PS4 it won't work with PC. If you own console and a PC copy they can be used together but you can't upgrade PC to PS4. If you have the PC CE tied to your account and get the PS4 version you will get the bonus items like the fat chocobo.

Well, right now on the beta, I tied my SE acct that has my Windows CE registered to it with my PSN acct on the PS4.

Number45

Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy the PS3 version, play it now then upgrade it to PS4 and then buy another PS3 version to use on the PS3?

In the UK at least it's cheaper to buy two PS3 versions (including a Collectors edition) than to buy it just for the PS4.

Yes, that is legit and will work.
Wow. I'll be doing this then, I also want it available for all three platforms.

aceface

Anyone know exactly when the beta ends? Is it midnight tonight PST? All I can find is "Midnight Monday March 3rd" but it does not specify time zone.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Anyone know exactly when the beta ends? Is it midnight tonight PST? All I can find is "Midnight Monday March 3rd" but it does not specify time zone.

Either way, I'm pretty bummed out about this. I'm level 20, about to do the Ifrit dungeon I think. Been a hell of a ride and it's gonna be a tough wait to April.

aceface

Either way, I'm pretty bummed out about this. I'm level 20, about to do the Ifrit dungeon I think. Been a hell of a ride and it's gonna be a tough wait to April.

Yeah I did Satasha last night and I want to get through the other dungeons and Ifrit hopefully tonight before it ends.

SkyOdin

How do you target people in fates to heal them? On keyboard and mouse it's easy but on the controller I can't figure it out.

You need to switch your targeting filter. By pressing L1+any of the four face buttons, you can switch to different filters for what you can target. Defaults include an "allies" option that won't target visible enemies, but you can also freely customize these filters to screen out stuff like minions and pets.

Squire

Banned
Do people who played in the beta, but had never played the game before qualify for a free month when first subscribing?

aceface

Do people who played in the beta, but had never played the game before qualify for a free month when first subscribing?

Well you gotta buy the game. But whatever version you buy (PC, PS3, or PS4) you always get 30 days free. The free days stack too if you buy more than one version.

I'm hoping to get inside the Copperfield Mine dungeon before the beta concludes tonight. Probably won't happen cause I'll be preoccupied in the evening but you never know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom