• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

Well, right now on the beta, I tied my SE acct that has my Windows CE registered to it with my PSN acct on the PS4.

Yes because all accounts are shared. However when the beta is done your PC version will not become the PS4 version andyou will not have the option to do so. That would mean you would lose the ability to use the PC version and since the PC version isn't affiliated with Sony they aren't gonna let that happen.

If you have the windows PC CE and then bought the PS4 normal version you would still have the bonus items associated with that account on the PS4 version. If you register a PS4 or PS3 version then you're upgraded for the bonus items not an actual copy of the game.

Ark

Hopefully Square Enix will fix some of the issues (tiny, unreadable text and such) and I'm sold for a day-one buy in April. At least for that "free" month :)

The only complaint I have is that the combat seems very repetitive. It clearly feeds off WoW, but each class in WoW has a multitude of spells to use, even by level 20. In FFXIV I was just spamming stone & aero every 20 seconds as a level 15 conjurer.. really dull.

Do DPS mages (forgot the name) have more spell variation? I had originally intended to roll one but I mistook dps mage for a conjurer and Gridania is cool as balls anyway.

aceface

Hopefully Square Enix will fix some of the issues (tiny, unreadable text and such) and I'm sold for a day-one buy in April. At least for that "free" month :)

The only complaint I have is that the combat seems very repetitive. It clearly feeds off WoW, but each class in WoW has a multitude of spells to use, even by level 20. In FFXIV I was just spamming stone & aero every 20 seconds as a level 15 conjurer.. really dull.

Do DPS mages (forgot the name) have more spell variation? I had originally intended to roll one but I mistook dps mage for a conjurer and Gridania is cool as balls anyway.

DPS'ing as a conjurer is really the most boring thing on earth. They only reason why they gave Conjurer a special mount at level 30 was so that people would actually level that class.

Thamaturge does have a bit more variation, for them it's all about balancing MP to do maximum damage. Basically, the more you cast fire the stronger your fire spells get but they use more MP. When your MP gets low you switch to blizzard which refills your MP faster but does less damage.

Ark

DPS'ing as a conjurer is really the most boring thing on earth. They only reason why they gave Conjurer a special mount at level 30 was so that people would actually level that class.

Thamaturge does have a bit more variation, for them it's all about balancing MP to do maximum damage. Basically, the more you cast fire the stronger your fire spells get but they use more MP. When your MP gets low you switch to blizzard which refills your MP faster but does less damage.

Sounds like I really screwed myself playing Conjurer. Shame the beta wasn't longer than a week or I'd have been able to test out some other classes. Thamaturge sounds a lot better though, I'll probably give that a shot.

Funnily enough, there were a lot of conjurers running around, it surprised me actually.

bunbun777

Well the beta succeeded in getting me to want to play come April. Not wanting to wait I've signed up for a month on my ps3 as well, it is a bit tough downgrading those nice graphics though.

Combat tends to open for most classes later, but after all Conjurer is a healing class so it's combat options are limited. You don't get much after those 2 spells.

Thaumaturge and Arcanist are pure DPS classes so they get more options, but eitherway, don't expect a great range of actions and skills. It dosn't rely on that. rather than every class having their own mechanics and finding the optimal use of GCD actions.

jiggle

on dps
it can get much worse once rotations come into play

Squire

Banned
I really should've started this earlier. Currently Lv. 5 and still doing mostly fetch quests, but I like getting familiar with the interface and Gridania's layout. I appreciate the simplicity of the combat so far, too. It's pretty chill which is really nice in tandem with the art/music. I'm liking the lore and the writing a lot, too. ("Thank the Elementals.")

So yeah, I've only played for a few hours total (and I'll play a little more this evening), but I think this did it for me. It feels like a real piece of work on SE's part. It's fun, it nails the vibe you get from most FFs, and it has a great sense of self. I'm in.

molnizzle

Tanking is definitely the best in this game. You've gotta be paying constant attention and use many different skills while changing targets frequently. Very involving.

DPS being boring doesn't surprise me. It's DPS. :p

Soi-Fong

Conjurer isn't meant for DPS. It's for healing and later end game when upgraded to White Mge, it becomes the most stressful job having to balance timing, MP, aggro and all the other shit that goes down during a raid.

redhot_

Well, just got out of a party with my first ps4 beta asshole encounter, pretty much threatening to not heal and kick the tank out. Should I be ready for a lot of these types on release? Lol

Valnen

Tanking is definitely the best in this game. You've gotta be paying constant attention and use many different skills while changing targets frequently. Very involving.

Tanking sucks in this game in my opinion. The skills are boring, there are too many cooldowns to keep track of, and your abilities don't generate nearly enough threat if DPS are being stupid. And of course, you get blamed if DPS are being stupid, not the DPS. I'd rather managing threat be made easier so I can focus on my surroundings better.

I regret picking gladiator when I first made my character,

At endgame, I play a Dragoon when I'm not tanking and don't find DPS boring at all on that job. Same with Monk, optimizing combos while paying attention to positioning. I find it fun.

On the other hand, to me Archer/Bard is a snoozefest.

But yeah, tanking for me (especially as a Warrior - shield? I NEED NO SHIELD! HWAAAARGHLBRGHL) is extremely satisfying in this game for the same reasons you gave.

zulfate

Tanking sucks in this game in my opinion. The skills are boring, there are too many cooldowns to keep track of, and your abilities don't generate nearly enough threat if DPS are being stupid. And of course, you get blamed if DPS are being stupid, not the DPS. I'd rather managing threat be made easier so I can focus on my surroundings better.

i am completely opposite from you lol. i have a tank in wow, and compared to this it is a spammy hell, this game is challenging (especially to noobs) and its refreshing. i do wish i held threat just a bit better though. instead of a billion enemies obnoxiously hitting me in instances my encounters in ff14 are 2-6 people on screen yet it has a more menacing feel of "oh fuck pulling aggro is hard better work for the threat". i wish for more improvements to the game but i think (so far) tanking seems like a fine balance of simple and hard.

SkyOdin

It really helps to have the party organized to keep aggro management under control. In my experience as a Gladiator/Paladin, it is pretty much impossible for the DPS to pull aggro off of once I've had time to establish it on a single target, but it is an uphill battle to take aggro off of a DPS if they grab it first. There are tricks though.

First off all, Provoke works in a very particular way, and it is very important to understand hoe it works. When you Provoke a target, you immediately hop to the top of its hate list. However, Provoke doesn't add any aggro value in of itself. So, if you pull a mob with Provoke, it is really easy for someone else to grab it from you. However, if you need to grab aggro, using Provoke, then following it up with some focused attacks will get you aggro.

The best overall pulling strategy in my experience is for the tank to first mark the targets with <1>, <2>, and <3>, then pull the enemies with a ranged attack. As soon as they are in range, use an AoE attack or Flash to establish aggro on all of the enemies. Then, as long as the DPS and tank are attacking the enemies in the proper marked order, things should go smoothly. All it takes is occasional AoE aggro moves from the tank to keep aggro off the healer. Problems most often occur when the DPS and tank start fighting different targets.

I find tanking to be really fun, since you it involves really learning the nuances of the enemies in dungeons. You need to learn how to prioritize enemies in the attack order, based on how much threat they pose, if they have AoEs or not, if that can inflict poison, if they can be put to sleep, and so on. Stunning enemies also becomes an important part of the tank's job, particularly as a Paladin. While the attack rotations of a tank are relatively simple, managing all of the other aspects of the role is a full-time job.

WAR (Marauder) is way more fun than PLD. But I can tell you that you shouldn't ever loss hate if you know what are you doing.

Fewr

I really should've started this earlier. Currently Lv. 5 and still doing mostly fetch quests, but I like getting familiar with the interface and Gridania's layout. I appreciate the simplicity of the combat so far, too. It's pretty chill which is really nice in tandem with the art/music. I'm liking the lore and the writing a lot, too. ("Thank the Elementals.")

So yeah, I've only played for a few hours total (and I'll play a little more this evening), but I think this did it for me. It feels like a real piece of work on SE's part. It's fun, it nails the vibe you get from most FFs, and it has a great sense of self. I'm in.
Yep. Same here, although I managed to reach lv8. I'm interested in giving this a go if there is an y special sale.

yQlze7q.png

It's actually not a horrible rotation for PLD.

SkyOdin

That is perfectly accurate, lol.

EDIT: Oh wait it is missing an "Do you have Shield Oath up?" check at the start. That's an embarrassing mistake to make.

aceface

Just 3 manned about 90% of Copperbelt since our healer went off right at the beginning for some reason. Since I'm arcanist I did healing. The last boss was intense but we got him. Awesome experience.

That is perfectly accurate, lol.

EDIT: Oh wait it is missing an "Do you have Shield Oath up?" check at the start. That's an embarrassing mistake to make.

Funny thing: I just got Stone Vigil for my lowbie duty roulette and did just that. Somehow managed to keep hate until the first boss when I realized it. lol

Managed to complete Copperbell earlier tonight. I was taken surprised by the green blobs that weren't affected by our attacks initially, everything worked out. I was also surprised by how the dungeon boss fight went. Didn't know about the point of the boulder beforehand and the boss did manage to destroy both of them, thus letting more enemies into the foray. But that didn't stop us. Took care of the boss and nobody died. In fact, we didn't lose a single life the entire time we were in the dungeon. Waiting a month for Phase 2 is gonna be a pain

molnizzle

So... just started leveling CNJ so I can unlock dat PLD.

Why doesn't it auto-attack automatically? This is infuriating.

I've tried macro'ing it to Stone, but "/action auto-attack" is simply a toggle, so every other cast on I'm actually turning it back off. There's a conditional macro command... right?

ShinMaruku

Finally got into my black mage idea. Next beta I will give it a real shot. If I like it enough I could go for a month with the game (Never going to sub though)

Alucrid

Banned
So... just started leveling CNJ so I can unlock dat PLD.

Why doesn't it auto-attack automatically? This is infuriating.

I've tried macro'ing it to Stone, but "/action auto-attack" is simply a toggle, so every other cast on I'm actually turning it back off. There's a conditional macro command... right?

The auto attack is hitting a mob with your weapon. Stone is an ability, not auto attack.

/ac "Stone" <t> <wait.3>
/ac "Stone" <t> <wait.3>
/ac "Stone" <t> <wait.3>
/ac "Stone" <t> <wait.3>
etc.

change the wait.x to your cooldown rounded up

Slime

Banned
Well, shit. I crammed as much as I could today, and still didn't get to see the first dungeon!

Guess that just leaves me something to look forward to, because yeah, I'm totally sold. This actually wasn't even on my radar after the original turned out the way it did, so checking out the beta on a whim and actually kind of falling in love with it was a pleasant surprise. I didn't want to stop.

I don't know how they did it, but they completely turned this game around.

Squire

Banned
So, what do you guys think of the other classes? I enjoyed my time as an Arxher. Felt just like playing one in Dragon Age, which is what I expected, but Lancer looked like it was fun to play as well. I'm also curious about Conjuror.

Oh, and I have a question about multiple versions: Could I get this on PC and then download it on PS4 and use the same character(a) between both? It's down to a login at that point, right? But I'd also have to pay for each version, huh?

I know you can't go back to PS3 after upgrading from there to PS4 (although, why would anyone want to). I only because, well... I wanna start playing before April, haha.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It always takes me forever to create a character in this game because I keep checking the endgame costumes with the controller toggle and the ones I like are mostly tanks, the archer is almost ok-ish, cannot stand the mage jobs looks :(...

Still, enjoying the atmosphere of FF XIV as I remember enjoying the atmosphere of FF XI.

molnizzle

The auto attack is hitting a mob with your weapon. Stone is an ability, not auto attack.

/ac "Stone" <t> <wait.3>
/ac "Stone" <t> <wait.3>
/ac "Stone" <t> <wait.3>
/ac "Stone" <t> <wait.3>
etc.

change the wait.x to your cooldown rounded up

Huh? I asked for a way to conditionally turn on auto-attack via a macro, not repeatedly cast Stone over and over again. With tank/melee classes auto-attack will start on its own when you cast an ability. On CNJ it doesn't, you have to manually activate it yourself.

It is unlikely people went out and bought keyboards just for the PS4 beta.

They'll need them for the live servers though.

I really hope everyone here takes this to heart. You simply must have a keyboard for this game. Especially coming into it late amongst a community of gamers who are all using keyboards.

Any way to hide ui without KB?

L1+Trackpad press (I think), but see above.

Sounds like I really screwed myself playing Conjurer. Shame the beta wasn't longer than a week or I'd have been able to test out some other classes. Thamaturge sounds a lot better though, I'll probably give that a shot.

Funnily enough, there were a lot of conjurers running around, it surprised me actually.

It's the only early level healing job. You can't become a SCH until 30.

Apoptomon

Huh? I asked for a way to conditionally turn on auto-attack via a macro, not repeatedly cast Stone over and over again. With tank/melee classes auto-attack will start on its own when you cast an ability. On CNJ it doesn't, you have to manually activate it yourself.

As Alucrid said, auto-attacking is hitting the enemy with your weapon. I believe it works like this (but I may have things a bit wrong): On melee classes (and archer), auto-attacks will be weaved into your rotation as long as your are in range, as the weapon attack distance is the same as the basic skills distance. For casters, it works essentially the same way, but where caster skills are ranged, the weapon itself is not: for instance if an arcanist wants to hit monsters over the head with their book, they have to stand in melee range to do so.

Kem0sabe

I'm being serious, I didn't see anyone talking at all. Ever.

I have a feeling the duty finder keeps grouping me with console players, because all my dungeons runs are silent runs where everyone keeps to themselves.

Also the chat system lacking a general channel amongst other convenience and community channels is kinda weird and off putting. Solution here is to get into a nice and friendly free company (guild).

Is that free month talk just about the free month that comes with the game? Or are they rewarding beta players with a free month if they buy the game which means 2 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom